Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath to paint an Archidon from PP, three islands from GW dreadfleet, and Nasti from Urban Mammoth (28mm) for the month of May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Isn't Samoa the worst place to pick of you want to give everybody until the last possible minute? Aren't they UTC +13/+14 depending on DST. Wouldn't you want UTC -12? Or am I high on allergy meds, which is probable.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Iris of Ether posted:

I seem to very vaguely remember hearing about a country swapping to the other side of the Date Line semi-recently in order to better synch up with local economies. Was that them?

Krushgroove, et al: How do we want to handle this?

Worldtimeserver won't let you pick a UTC -12 time because everything there is uninhabited. American Samoa will very nearly ensure everyone has until at least midnight local time unless they are painting miniatures on a boat anchored off Howland Island or something equally absurd.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I really like these games and gears double ended brushes. Quality is not top of the line, but they are pretty nice. How much of a difference does 1 brush make instead of 2? A lot more than I thought it would.

Thanks oath thread!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath to paint an Archidon from PP, three islands from GW dreadfleet, and Nasti from Urban Mammoth (28mm) for the month of May.

:siren:OATH ADDITION:siren:

3 more Dreadfleet islands from GW!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Those are pretty sweet.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Oh man, I just realized I totally get to compliment people on their work this year! I didn't ever want to do that last year because of my empowered position.

These guys are really pushing my buttons. Very nice work and good photography too.

I'm delighted to see someone else doing dreadfleet models and this looks really good. I've got a ton of work to do still on the Heldenhammer and I have to do it all tonight, because Saturday I have guests over all day (to play Twilight Imperium) so there won't be time for painting. Are you planning on oathing more Dreadfleet stuff this year? My wife gave me my copy for my birthday like two or three years ago and she's annoyed I've never played it, but I can't assemble most of the ships until I'm ready to paint them. So finally getting around to it is a big priority. My goal is to have it fully painted by the end of this year's oath thread.

My goal is also to complete Dreadfleet by the end of the oath thread. I'm doing everything besides boats first then working backwards from the order the ships appear in scenario. Assuming I finish my oath this month, which I should, then next month I will finish the last of islands and shipwrecks. I already have the rulers and turning things done from last season, so progress is occurring!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

OATH COMPLETE

Inquisitor's Journal

1) After priming the Archidon with Vallejo Surface Primer White I spray Minitaire Nebula Red on the armor.
2) I applied some shading to the red with Minitaire Ghost Tint Purple. It's pretty subtle. On the finished model it's barely notceable.
3) I masked off the armor with blue tac.
4) The whole model gets a coat of Minitaire Bark. I'm not super concerned with laying down a very coat here. It's not going to matter much in a few more steps.

5) I thin down Minitaire Bloodstained Mud down with Lquitex Arbrush Medium at about 3 parts thinner to 1 part paint. The bloodstained mud is an extremely dark red, but it's also really transparent before the thinner. I airbrush it in the shadows focusing especially on the chest and the base of the wings. My lighting is pretty horrible; it's more noticeable in person.
6) I drop the PSI down to 5 and with short flicking motions with the airbrush I apply Mintaire Muddy Brown
7) Minitaire Jaundice is applied to the wings. I'm using a little more thinner than normal here at about 3:2 paint to thinner because I want those spots to show through even on the lighter portions of the wings. Again this is a pretty subtle, but unlike the purple ghost tint this does show up on the finished model by adding some depth to the wings.
8) Minitaire Ancient Bone is applied to the back of the wings leaving some, but not a lot of the jaundce behind.

9) At about 4:1 thinner to paint I reapply minitaire bark to the whole model. It's acting as a filter and tying everything together. I'm bringing down the whites and evening out the spots so they aren't as stark.
10) I masked off the wings around the arms with Daler Rowney Art Masking Fluid and painters tape and reapplied straight minitaire bark to the arms.
11) With a mix of 3 parts bark to 1 part ancient bone I highlighted the arms. This was pretty sloppy. I really needed to clean my airbrush at this point, but screw it. I'm just shooting for tabletop here.
12) Oh hello, friend. The whole model gets a coat of Liquitex Gloss Varnish in preparation for the next step...

13) I dab on some blotches of Dick Blick Burnt Unmber and Yellow Ochre oil paint near the front edges of the wings and then streak down with mineral spirits to create striations in the wing. You can make this effect as subtle or striking as you want. Since I've already got the mottling, I really want to keep these pretty subdued. While I've got the oil paints out and a coat of gloss varnish on, I work some of the paint into the recesses of the arm to start defining the shadow.
14) I add a cactus from Pegasus Hobbies Cactus Set #2 along with some playground sand to the base. I basecoat the metals with the redundant Vallejo Gunmetal Metal and Golden Fluid Acrylics Iridescent Gold Deep(fine)
15) The rock (pine bark) gets a coat of bloodstained mud, the sand gets a coat of bark, and the cactus gets Minitaire Sewage Water. I'm reusing colors from the models on the base to hopefully give it a more natural feel.
16) I halve the base with Minitaire Innards and Liquitex Basics Mars Black. The rock gets a drybrush of a mix 1:1 Minitaire Red Clay and Skull White while the Cactus gets a drybrush of Minitaire Pestilence Flesh.
17) Almost there. using matte medium, water, and flow aid I apply make up essentially a dark and a light wash for both the brown and the gold using Daler Rowney FW Black Ink, Liquitex ink! Transparent Burnt Umber, and Vallejo Brown Ink. The burnt umber provides a nice half-assed black lining while I really like the effect of the vallejo's orange brown ink on gold.

At this point, I gave it a coating of Liquitex Matte Varnish and applied some highlights to metals to bring them back up with their base colors.

It kind of looks like this:

Inquisitor's Journal
Parts List
Double the fun
Box Art
Theme Group

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 31, 2014

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath an island and 4 shipwrecks from GW's Dreadfleet and 1 pirate from god knows where(54mm) for the month of June.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

krushgroove posted:

Here's the May Slideshow and Photo Album!

Slideshow (just click and enjoy)

Photo Album (all the pictures! AT ONCE!!)

I haven't sent these to the judges yet, so everyone please check to make sure your completed Oath picture(s) are in there!

Missing my Archidon close up here, which is my fault for putting it at the end of the post. I wanted to build dramatic tension for the unveiling after the journal, which would have worked better had I not inexplicably chosen the most washed out picture I had.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 17, 2014

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Krushgroove, you are endearingly terrible at this whole time thing.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

OATH COMPLETE

Backstory

His salt pocked face looked out to the horizon from the uncomfortable firmness of solid ground for the last time. His luck had run out he reckoned, and none to soon. He would die this voyage, he could smell his death on the air blown in from the sea. Was he a good man? He was an awful bastard raised on a merchant ship, whatever path nature might have had in mind for his temperament the sea was quick to set him right. Had he lived a good life? Ain't nobody lived their life on the sea for as long as he had and enjoyed it. Adventure? Freedom? Those were stories for men bored with their banking jobs. Stories for men, who had most their teeth, whose face and hands hadn't been carved by salt and wind and rope like a haggard cliff.

What comes next on that horizon? More of the same he guessed.

Journal
Theme Group

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath 5 treasure tokens, Leech Wyrm, Bone Hydra, Sea Giant, and Shadewraith for GW's Dreadfleet and one Malignos from Infinity for the month of July.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 1, 2014

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I received my dwarven die bearer. Thanks, Krushgroove. It was here a week ago, but I've been turning in 90 work weeks, which is not exactly conducive to going to the post office... or completing my oath.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

:swoon: Thanks for the compliments again. I'd rather have a more defined style like Germ, Bachtere, PV, or Red Shoe etc but I haven't quite figured it out yet, and in the meantime being able go from cartoony to high contrast sorta hyper-realism keeps it interesting at least.

Every year the oath thread just bumps up the bar on quality and it's amazing, inspiring, humbling.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Baller as gently caress.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

It's a minor miracle I finished this month with the amount of hours I worked. I feel like I cut some corners and rushed some stuff, but really the end results are pretty good all together. I had a bitch of a time trying to photograph the ship and the infinity dude, and a little something is lost in translation. In person, however, I think the Infinity malignos is the best piece I've ever done even though I wish I had a little more time to fix some small stuff.

Anyways,

Journal Malignos glowy gun and the water and underside of the ship, which did not photograph well.
Theme group
I rolled a 6! For the dreadfleet treasure tokens
In battle

The Archidon finds himself in a quagmire with some pigs.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do hereby oath the Seadrake and its dragon from GW's Dreadfleet and Horni from Urban Mammoth (28mm) for the month of August.

Hopefully, I'll have time for more stuff later.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 2, 2014

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

So, I've never attempted NMM before. Lately when I'm about to do something I haven't tried before I like to do a "sketch mini" where I just try to bust out something and get an idea of how theory translates to practice.

So, here's my quick speedpaint sketch of NMM. Total painting time was about 75 minutes, but I ran some errands while the glue on the base dried.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do hereby oath the Seadrake and its dragon from GW's Dreadfleet and Horni from Urban Mammoth (28mm) for the month of August.

Hopefully, I'll have time for more stuff later.

Oath addition

1 objective marker for warmachine from tectonic craft studios and the curse of zandri from GW's dreadfleet

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

krushgroove posted:

Oaths Accepted!

Just need to clarify if the damage/objective marker is painted or not? I went to the website for Tectonic and it looks like everything is unpainted MDF, so need to just make sure.

It's primed white.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

OATH COMPLETE

Journal - Everything on the dwarf and the pyramid on the ship

Speed painting

Gotta be honest, getting pretty tired of the dreadfleet. Next month: fun stuff!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Admiral Crackbar posted:

Oath Complete
This was right down to the wire (I was watching the timer as I was finishing up and tried to make the most of every last minute). I never realised how slow I painted. Definitely going to take it a little more cautiously next time.

:smithcloud:

At least your save the whales will be easy.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Golbulcoque, do oath a kabalite warrior, the black kraken, and 4 cogs from GW, and a speculo killer from corvus belli for the month of September.

Still working on my conversion.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

OATH ADDITION

Grimnir's Thunder and zeppelin from GW's dreadfleet and a converted winter argus from PP

Part two in my series "Arguses with really stupid headswaps" is a winter argus with ogre heads.

Here's the original:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

OATH COMPLETE

Journal

Theme group for the dreadfleet.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 28, 2014

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Brock Samsonite posted:

:siren: OAF COMPLETE :siren:

I wasn't sure about the color scheme until I finished this one but purple and orange is what's up.

Also having technical difficulties with the tech and posting of it so apologies if it's weird for anyone.

Purple/green/orange Shasvastii 4 lyfe.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath Tom from Urban Mammoth (28mm), a cyclops shaman from PP, and a seed soldier from Corvus Belli for the month of October

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Welp, OATH FAILED.

Even though it's almost done. My life basically imploded this month. I lack the motivation to paint, and I have to work early in the morning.

Great stuff this month, though.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I'm gonna save the whales!

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath Tom from Urban Mammoth (28mm), a cyclops shaman from PP, and a seed soldier from Corvus Belli for the month of October

Whales Saved!

Featuring autism awareness guy. Limited access to a computer right now, so limited access to editing software with my phone posting. Not sure if I'll be able to oath this month or not.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath one shasvastii noctifer from CB for the month of November.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath a Ghordson Earthbreaker from PP for the month of January.

Personal life has calmed down, lets do this.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath a Ghordson Earthbreaker from PP for the month of January.

Personal life has calmed down, lets do this.

OATH ADDITION

Melpomene from Dark Sword Miniatures

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

OATH COMPLETE

Jounral is the dress on Melpomene.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath 10 nihilators from PP, 3 cogs, and Skabrus from GW's Dreadfleet for the month of February

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

MST40K bots own.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Oh poo poo Oh poo poo Oh poo poo. Hurry up and dry varnish!

Oath Complete

No Journal
Theme Group

Bonus picture of what happens when I try to assembly line paint eyes at 4 AM:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath the Swordfish and Heldenhammer from GW's Dreadfleet for the month of March

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath the Swordfish and Heldenhammer from GW's Dreadfleet for the month of March

Oath Addition: Flaming Scimitar from GW's Dreadfleet

This is a bad idea. I have no idea when I'll have time, but I'm so close to being done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Makes sense. It's especially fine because I don't have the time to paint it in the first place.

You should totally toss it though. I'm not sure why it was there in the first place, but I think if the goal is to paint stuff then the rules shouldn't get in the way more than absolutely nenecessary. A lot of the rules seem structured around preventing people from gaming the system. Is that a legit concern? Do people actually care if other people oath WIP Models with more than one color? I don't, but maybe other people do.

• Locked thread