Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I guess there's a first time for everything, and I do have a shitload of minis from various boardgames. So;
I, Electric Hobo, oath 6 Rune Golems. From Battlelore 2. Edition by Fantasy Flight Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Pierzak posted:

If this is your first time painting FFG minis, remember to degrease them thoroughly.

I've painted a bunch of my Descent figures, so I know that they tend to be incredibly filthy. Thanks anyway :)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I'm confused about a few things that's going on in here, probably because this is the first year I join in the oathing.
People talk about whale oathing. I don't know what that is, but since I'm Scandinavian, I assume it involves killing whales.

And I don't get this achivement:

quote:

Double the fun!
Do TWO Detectuv’s Jurnal/bonuses on one model. One Jurnal and one Bonus is fine too! Be sure to tell us which Jurnals or Bonuses you have completed when you post your Oath Complete picture.
I'm pretty sure the Jurnal is whatever's going on during a given month, like the 'take at least 3 Work In Progress pictures' that's happening right now, but I don't get what a bonus is.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Electric Hobo posted:

I, Electric Hobo, oath 6 Rune Golems. From Battlelore 2. Edition by Fantasy Flight Games.

Additionally, I oath 4 Riverwatch Riders also from Battlelore 2. Edition.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete

I should probably look into how to take some pictures that aren't horrible. Oh well...
I tried out some oil washes on the Rune Golems to get the inner glow thing they've got going on. Worked pretty well but I need some practice at mixing them. This is also my first time basing anything! I like the result but the one piece base and mini makes it a pain in the rear end.

Then I wanted to try wet blending on the Rider's cloaks. It looks a little streaky, but it still looks waaay better than what I usually do. Good thing I have a bunch more to practice on.

Jurnal

Starting off with some zenithal base coating.

Hitting it with a blue oil wash.

And a bunch of light blue oil washes. Starting to look right.

Part list
Rune Golems:
Vallejo White Primer
Vallejo Airbrush Thinner
Vallejo Model Color - Black
Vallejo Model Color - White
Vallejo Model Color - Turquoise
Vallejo Model Air - Sandy Brown
Vallejo Model Air - Sand(Ivory)
Vallejo Matt Medium
Vallejo Matt Varnish
Vallejo Gloss Varnish
Vallejo Model Color - Burnt Umber
Marie's Oil Colour - Raw Umber
Marie's Oil Colour - Titanium White
Marie's Oil Colour - Cerulean Blue
Marie's Oil Colour- Phthalocyanine Blue

Riverwatch Riders:
Vallejo White Primer
Vallejo Airbrush Thinner
Vallejo Matt Medium
Vallejo Matt Varnish
Vallejo Gloss Varnish
Vallejo Model Color - White
Vallejo Model Color - Black
Vallejo Game Color - BoneWhite
Vallejo Model Color - Flat Flesh
Vallejo Model Color - Light Brown
Vallejo Model Air - Sandy Brown
Vallejo Model Color - Dark Red
Vallejo Game Color - Cobra Leather
Vallejo Game Color - Sunblast Yellow
Vallejo Model Color - Turquoise
Vallejo Model Air - German Grey
Vallejo Model Color - Burnt Umber
Vallejo Model Color - Gold
Vallejo Model Air - Aluminium

So that should be:
Inquisitor's Journal
Parts List
Double the Fun
Season 5'er

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
For June, I, Electric Hobo, oath the Roc Warrior from Battlelore 2. Edition by FFG.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Could we maybe get a link to each month's Inquisitor's Journal post in one of the first posts? It would make it easier when I forget what I was supposed to do for the 50'eth time.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Electric Hobo posted:

For June, I, Electric Hobo, oath the Roc Warrior from Battlelore 2. Edition by FFG.

Adding 5 Riverwatch Riders to my oath. Also from Battlelore 2. Edition by FFG.

The light makes them look pretty weird, but that's just the blue plastic under the white primer.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

I haven't sent these to the judges yet, so everyone please check to make sure your completed Oath picture(s) are in there!

The picture of my horse dudes aren't in there. Here's the post http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630222&userid=142632#post430383507.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete!
And I did the journal.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 27, 2014

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Almost. I'm painting all these in the way the game thinks they should look, so it gets stupid when the sculpt doesn't match the card.

It's easier to see the hood in real life, I'm just a terrible photographer.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I, Electric Hobo, oath these 15 Citadel Guards for the month of July. From Battlelore 2. Edition by FFG as usual.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Electric Hobo posted:

I, Electric Hobo, oath these 15 Citadel Guards for the month of July. From Battlelore 2. Edition by FFG as usual.

Additional oath! 2 Shadow Dragon from Descent 2. Edition by FFG.
Zenithal primed.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Electric Hobo posted:

Additional oath! 2 Shadow Dragon from Descent 2. Edition by FFG.
Zenithal primed.

I don't know if this'll fly, but since I oathed the dragons 5 hours ago, I'd like to claim speed painting on this guy.
Complete with lovely base to match all the other lovely bases I have in my Descent set.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete!

FFG plastic is poo poo so all the pole-arms warped right back when the temperature hit 30-35o.
Why not have a small back story about that?

"Hey sarge, me and the guys where wondering... What's with the new pole-arms? They're all floppy and weird."
"A small misdelivery, private. Our supplier, Fantasy Fight, accidentally sent us a bunch of larp equipment instead of the new steel gear that we ordered. The brass says that we'll use it since we have nothing else."
"They know that we're going to fight all sorts of crazies and demons tomorrow, right? What are we supposed to do!? Our weapons are rubber and our shields are foam!"
"You're supposed to do your job! Fight the enemy, kill the enemy! Now go shine that axe, it looks like poo poo."

Unsurprisingly, casualties were very high the next day. Both for the army and for the Dragon's Tooth Live Role-playing Club downtown.
~fin~

Achivements this month:
Journal on the dragons.
Back story
Speed painting.
Posted here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630222&userid=142632#post432632091
Apprentice

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I, Electric Hobo, oath these 15 Yeoman Archers. Still from Battlelore 2. Edition by FFG.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete!

NMM on the arrowheads, so this months Journal is in the bag.

And this was the last of the Daqan force for my Battlelore! :woop: 48 figures in 4 months. That would probably have taken me a few years a my normal speed. Thank you oath thread and thank you organizers :)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I, Electric Hobo, oath to paint 1 "Hans" walker. For Dust Tactics by FFG.
It's zenithal primed.

I'm going for this month's journal with this guy. The legs and the head have been repositioned.

Here's the default pose taken from the unit card.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Sep 2, 2014

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete!

I did this month's Journal.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I, Electric Hobo, oath 3 Plague Worms. From Descent 2. Edition by FFG.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Electric Hobo posted:

I, Electric Hobo, oath 3 Plague Worms. From Descent 2. Edition by FFG.

Oath addition!
1 Flesh Ripper Brute. From Battlelore 2. Edition by FFG.
Just to test how long one of these will take.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete!

Something's up with my camera so everything looks yellowish :(

Claiming box art on the flesh ripper. Here's the box http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=BT01.
I did this month's journal. It almost feels weird, but the green Plague Worms are raising Mental health awareness, while the red one is all about HIV/AIDS awareness.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I, Electric Hobo, oath 8 Flesh Ripper Brutes. For Battlelore 2. Edition by FFG.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I think you missed my oath. And Grey Hunter's, right above my post.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete!

I hate these models and I'm happy I'll never have to paint them again.

One of these guys got a stylish beard for the Journal.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Ugleb posted:

Out of interest, why do you hate yet still paint? Is it an army meta thing?

That model is just really annoying to paint. They're for a boardgame so they're one piece with the base, and they're so low to the ground that it's a pain to paint and base them.

I'd go crazy if I had everything in the game painted, except for these guys, so I had to slog through them.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
My holly jolly christmas oath: 1 Chaos Lord. From Battlelore 2. Edition by FFG.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Electric Hobo posted:

My holly jolly christmas oath: 1 Chaos Lord. From Battlelore 2. Edition by FFG.

An quick oath addition: 6 Obscenes. Also from Battlelore 2. Edition.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete!

There isn't any flags in the stuff I usually paint so I made one to stick on the Chaos Lord's base.

I missed a spot on the flag :(

I hope this will count as Fly your flag and it's weathered for this month's Journal.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
For January, I Electric Hobo oath 15 Blood Harvesters. From Battlelore 2. Edition by FFG.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete!

One guy got some of the weird looking white warpaint that they have in the official art. This is for the journal.

Starting to look pretty good when I play the game. This is for In Battle!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Electric Hobo oathing stuff for February: 8 Viper Legion archers. From Battlelore 2. Edition by FFG as always.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete!

I finally build myself a small lightbox so my pictures aren't all blue or orange this time!

That one guy joined the Lollipop Guild as an enforcer. A massive lollipop to the head is still pretty lethal.

Let's strike a pose!
"Today we fight!" yelled the boss. We fight every day so nothing new in that. Some of my more cowardly squad mates are spreading rumors that the Daqan armies have tamed the giant Rocs and are using them to kill off our archers. Pure poo poo. Today will be a fight like all the others.

That's this months journal on the lollipop guy and Strike a pose one the guy about to get grabbed by a huge bird.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I, Electric Hobo, oath 7 Viper Legion Archers for the month of March. The last minis from Battlelore 2. Edition by FFG.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I mostly play boardgames so I don't really have anything that I'd normally call a marker to paint up for the "I rolled a 6!" achievement, but I have these three guys from Blue Moon Legends:

They are obviously miniatures, but their only function is to be passed back and forth between the players to show who has the favor of each dragon. Could I use them for the achievement?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
An early Oath complete! post from me.

Looks like I finally figured out how to snap a well lit photo. Now I just have to work on getting a proper focus.

This guy has a torn loincloth for this month's Journal.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
August is a good month for bonfires, grilling and giant forest fires, so how about painting some fire/smoke/hot metal. That would also be a good time to throw in some OSL and such.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
This may be way out there but I have an idea for february's technical challenge. I've been reading up on some color theory in an attempt to spice up my color schemes, so how about making people leap around in the color wheel?
Go to https://color.adobe.com, pick a triad or compound color scheme and paint a figure using all of those colors and only those colors (+ shades of them to make shadows and highlight).

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

These are seriously great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I, Electric Hobo, oath the 3 dragons from Blue Moon Legends. By FFG.

• Locked thread