Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
It's been 2 years since I've been able to put in an official oath, so time to dive right in!

I oath for May, 2 Plague hounds, a type 1, three type 2's, and 5 type 3's, all for Deadzone by Mantic.

Krushgroove and everyone involved did a great job with last season and many thanks go out for all the hard work they put in. Here's looking forward to another great season where I won't fail any oaths! (I hope)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Here's the retake. I guess it's a good habit of getting us into using Somoa time now before we start taking final pics.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

ijyt posted:

:stare:

How the hell do you have the time to paint all that in a month? Awesome job.

I've always imagined it's something similar to this (but with painting)

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

:vomarine: Oath Complete! :vomarine:

Jurnal Entry:

In the beginning, there was basing:

Then the white gesso. Kinda jumped the gun and scorched browned up my bases:

Then the basecoats. The blocking stage always seems so slow at first, but these guys have some nice little details:

Heavy drybrushing soon followed:

Post Washes. First time using my purple wash in a long time, but worked well I think:

Paints I used were as follows:

Bases
Scorched Brown
-Beastial Brown
-Agrax Earthshade
-Snakebite Leather

Skin
Khorne Red
-Mephiston Red
-Leviathan Purple
-Mephiston Red HL

Pants
Kantor Blue
-ultramarine blue
-Nuln Oil
-Enchanted blue HL

Shirts
Enchanted Blue
-ice blue
-Nuln Oil
-3:1 Ice Blue/ Skull White blend HL

Bone
Khemeri Brown
-Bleached Bone
-Agrax Earthshade
-Bleached Bone HL

Misc

Mecharius Orange
-Bronzed Flesh
-Agrax Earthshade

Boltgun Metal
-Nuln Oil
-Agrax Earthshade
-Chainmail HL

Dwarf Bronze
-Nuln Oil
-Agrax Earthshade

Mechanicus Standard Grey
-codex grey
-Nuln Oil
-Skull White HL

Rims
Khorne Red

Crystals are Green Anarchy Crystals. Basic ballast stones for rock.

Declaring:

Season 5iver
Parts List
Jurnal
Themed Group

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Fancy bases month? Time to break out this guy I guess:

:siren: I hereby doth oath for ye olde month of June, one stately Dreadnought :siren:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

If we do an alt. universe oath, do we need to take a picture of everything now? I'm hoping to finish of my Deadzone models (at least the 4 basic faction starters) and some terrain this season. I'll be doing the WIP pictures as I go, and it'd be a bit awkward to fit them all up in one pic.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

:catdrugs: Oath Complete! :catdrugs:

It's not the end of the month and I'm done my oath! Had a small problem with my water effects where my sealing strip took the bottom layer of water and sand right off. Quick patch job and a little different method turned out well. Wish I had a better camera to grab the details properly but I am content with it.

Claiming monthly Jurnal! Fancy bases!

Water effects. Ammo piles building up. Bushes, reeds, and rocks! Oh my!

Also Claiming Backstory!

Even in death, he would serve. He would serve and he would hold the line till death took him again.

His brothers gave him weapons that could kill with accuracy and strength so that all who approached could taste his cold uncaring spite. Arms of thunder that roared and echoed inside his deathly oubliette. While his electronic eyes exploded with a cacophony of information and the Emperor's mercy. But none of it mattered. All that mattered was that he held the line till death took him again.

When the baying of orks came over the hills and into his range, he did his duty and mowed them down with a sweep of his gaze. Servants of chaos would valiantly scream pleas and foul offers to dark gods that would not answer as their minions fell into eviscerated heaps. Xenos with whips of aether, plasma vapor rising off heated weapons, and various armors of martial grace would come to him for supplication. Which he would always offer onto them, as all that mattered was that he held the line till death took him again.

Ages of decaying carnage lay behind him when his brothers finally reunited with him. With praise of his greatness and determination to serve for so long, the marines paused to honor him. They gave praise up to the Emperor for the glory he had achieved in their absence and came to take him home for repairs and ministrations by the techpriests. But as they approached towards the stalwart frame, they crossed the river and justice was lain unto all of his brothers before him. Filling the audio channels were cheers of his deeds pitched into surprised pleas of action before silence fell at last. He was The Nail. And all that mattered is that he held the line till death took him again.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

:catdrugs: Incoming Alternate Universe Oath :catdrugs:

This year I'm hoping to get Deadzone by Mantic completely assembled and painted to a playable degree. So I'm going to currently oath the basics that came with the default kit from the KS, and likely oath more when it comes time since there's so many extra and 2nd wave delivery coming soon. Plague aren't on the list since they were my first oath. Now on with the show!

Enforcers

Enforcer Captain
3 x Enforcers with assault blades
4 x Enforcers with heavy rifles
Enforcer with rocket launcher
Engineer
2 x Sentry Guns
Enforcer Sniper

Rebels

Field Commander
2 x Survey Drones
3 x Yndij Hunters
Teraton Brawler
2 x Sorak Troopers
2 x Human Troopers
2 x Grogan w/ special weapons

Marauders

Commando Captain
2 x Ripper Suits
5 x Commandos
2 x Goblin Snipers
2 x Mawbeasts (primed black in the left)

Mercenaries

The Survivor
Dr. Simmonds
Recon N32-19
Nastanza
Wrath
Blaine
Oberon
Freya

Terrain

This stairway took a bit of damage and got a little off kilter on one side but the stairs aren't supposed to go two together like that

This basic scaffolding tower. While it's not being oathed, if I have time it'll go in the stack, but all 3 combine into this landing pad tower:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I oath for this month of July, all the Deadzone mercenaries

And if you want the specifics, it's:

The Survivor
Dr. Simmonds
Recon N32-19
Nastanza
Wrath
Blaine
Oberon
Freya

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Iris of Ether posted:

Aw snap, now you've got me wanting to paint up a basketball wizard. I have no use for a basketball wizard.

Or do I?

"Wanna see my Magic Johnson?"

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

:orks101: Oath Complete! :orks101:

Didn't really get motivated on these guys except at the start and end of the month. Which left me with a few errors I wish I still had time to correct, and feels like the camera highlights every mistake this close. But had fun doing a unique thing with each model and mixing it up a bit. One step closer to finishing my end of year goal as well!

I notice some pictures showing more of the detail and seems to be yellow light washing in hiding it? Been using Irfan since Picasa went up and still trying to work out the little things. Anyways...

The whole crew

Blaine

Had a little Destro theme going on with him. Was originally thinking of adding some flames to the base, but his cape really fills it out.

Recon's Drone

Had no idea what to base this on besides something urban. Looked at my DZ terrain and cut out the air vent from one of the pieces. It's the exact same size as a base so seemed an obvious choice.

Freya

Mostly playing with a potential dwarf scheme for the full army to come. Need a better orange to highlight with though since I had to make my own with a yellow mix.

Nastanza

Wanted to try doing the "camo generator mid-effect" idea, but most people just go to black for stealth mode. Pretty happy with the jungle camo effect. Not so much with that rifle highlight.

Oberon

I initially wasn't too impressed with the model. Really like how he turned out in the end though, and a piece of stretched plastic made for a great water pouring effect.

Dr. Simmonds

I was originally going to do her in medical digs, but screwed up the freehand red cross bad.

The Survivor

Guy always reminds me of Dead Space and had some spare Mantic zombie bits so...

Wrath

Worst bitch to assemble. Ever. Missing two of the robe strands that are supposed to easily attach by inverting a quantum fissure. At least the sword went on well.

:siren: Monthly OSL Theme :siren:
Recon

Had the idea of him leaping down action hero style for a flip stab to the neck but went through a couple trials before settling on this. Mixed in the OSL lighting but might have gone too subtle. He still fits under a standard cube, and the rules say you can model however you like for LoS since it goes both ways though really I'd exclude the gobbo for this rule if I could.

Along with monthly theme, I also worked towards Box Art for The Survivor.

Note that it's the same model just a different pose. All the pictures of the variant I painted I found were to small to scrib from.

Also going for Double the Fun by doing last month's 'Fancy Bases' theme on every individual model.

AND going for Themed Group since they're all DZ mercs!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Oathing for August: 2 Survey Drones, 2 Grogan, 1 Rebel Commander, 9 Humans, 6 Yndij, 1 Terraton, 2 Soraks, and 1 nifty tower

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 4, 2014

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

The Tower

Commander

Grognan

Humans

Sorak

Yndij

Teraton

:catdrugs: Claiming Journal for my Drones :catdrugs:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I forgot to mention themed group

Forgot to tag my oath with Themed Group as well but don't want to go back and edit the time stamp.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I Oath for Sept, this heavily converted Mad Doc on Fix-it Cycle!

Been sitting around for awhile so time to get him finished up. Deffkopta body and about a dozen kit parts, plasticard n' green stuff.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

:orks101: Oath Complete! :orks:

And some closeups of the "Quick-Fix" arm:

Claiming monthly theme since it's a big conversion job and Fly your Flag.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I oath for October, one clockwork dragon by Reaper

Thanks for opening the monthly theme to any charity! My sister in law wanted me to paint this for her tattoo parlor since it's got 'dragon' in it's name but the basing stumped me for the longest time. They do a monthly drive once a year where 10% of every tattoo goes towards charity, so using their symbol for a base should work well and be personalized for them.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Thought I'd point out that one of the sponsors, KR Multicase, is having their 10 year anniversary this month and any backpack, aluminum case or Kaiser bag purchased from their website comes with a free standard size card case including foam. It'll show up in your checkout where you can customize it, but only for this month!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Holy crap is this last second, but Oath Complete!

With the monthly theme being for Autism awareness, hence the giant puzzle piece diorama

edit: changed img to a closeup

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 1, 2014

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Have more Marauders than I thought so going to break it into two months, starting with the heavies though only 2 ripper suits are towards my alt universe oath.

For November I oath, 4 HWP's, 6 ripper suits, 4 brutes, and a goblin stuntbot.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Adding these Deadzone crate item markers to my Oath

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Oath Complete!

Works been nuts this month, so feel like I kinda dialed these guys in

Journal is the mohawk and beardo on the big guys

Claiming Themed Group and Rolled a 6

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Oaths Accepted!

Ehh...technically it's a failed Oath (although, admittedly, on a technicality but rules are rules, sorry TWLM) so I'd say there's no points for anything - unless it's been given before in the same situation. I don't think it has.

I've been on the other side of the axe, so I understand. It still sucks, but I understand. I guess I'll have to come up with something new for tokens to get that point then. On a side note, the mantic crate tokens are great for DZ. Really like 'em.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

After Oathbreaking Nov and skipping Dec due to work going full tilt and a half, it's time to get back on the horse n' make up for lost time:

I oath for January 3 goblin snipers, 4 mawbeasts, 2 commando captains, 1 marauder warlord, 2 commando pyros, and 11 commandos all by Mantic

The mawbeasts have black primer on them as I'm hoping to try and speed paint them this weekend.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I never did post a Whales for 'em, but had been using my little free time in Dec to try and kick them up a notch for full urban camo and wasn't sure if that would invalidate them. For example, my gob stunt bot used to look like:

But now looks:

Also did some minor base work on a few since I wasn't happy with how the rubble turned out. I'd like to try and camo them all next month with a whales oath if it's still valid.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Got some speed painting done on my oath today. Done all 4 in just about 12 hours

And some close ups of the finished guys

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 13, 2015

• Locked thread