Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Can I Whales a last season oath? If not, two of them are still good to go as I only did one colour of basecoat, so I'll get pic up soonish. The third is four colours so far so no dice D:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Aaaah I need to get going on my oathing!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

:siren:Oathing this chest, which is totally not also this chest monster:siren: both from Reaper bones.

And a slightly less dark photo of the minis so you can see there's only one colour on them thus far.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fnahrk. Oath complete, but rushed to gently caress. Such a busy month.
WIP 1: base colours.

WIP 2: Slapped on some Gryphonne Sepia

WIP 3: Finished with some bits

Proper completion photo to follow once I've dug out my photo box.

E:
:effort:

E: oh yeah:
Inquisitor's Jurnal, Season 5iver. Need to do more next month but been busy this month.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 31, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Did I miss the start-of-month post with the Jurnal or are people just getting their oaths in early?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oathing one Reaper Bones remorhaz Frost Wyrm.

Base is going to be of my own creation from a plywood starter, and I'm going to try to model it melting its way out of icy ground - these things are supposed to tunnel by melting using internal heat :smaug:. I might put a counter on this one, too, though I'm not quite sure what for as it's not gonna be flying or losing heads.

I have a better shot of the date if needed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

JerryLee posted:

What is this going to be? My instinct says Maulerfiend.

Displacer Dragon.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Half-assed oath completed

The jurnal base I'm pleased with, I made it from plywood and air-dry modelling clay; it's meant to look like the wyrm has melte its way up out of the ice. it's tough to see, but there's a layer of water effects (thanks last year's oath thread), and then on top of the non-melty bits a layer of PVA-and-bicarb snow. The remorhaz Frost Wyrm is a beastie that lives under ice and tunnels through it by melting it with its internal heat.

The body and the head I'm reasonably pleased with but the claws, eyes and mandibles I realised yesterday are really not quite the right colour (I'm going to blend the blades up to white via red and orange, but the legs aren't right), but I ran out of time, so I'm calling this done and I might revisit it outside of the thread.

I may need to get a non-white background for photographing things on snow bases D:

Blargh.

e: and if you want to show up my lovely painting skills, I got a dupe of this in my bones order, you could win it as a prize this year! I just posted it, along with a selection of other dupes and things i didn't like, off to Krush for inclusion in the Grab Bag.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

krushgroove posted:

Yes, the Journal is all about OSL :)

What about LEDs? :P

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gonna oath it up this weekend, but only a couple of 32mm models, super-busy with wedding prep right now...

I think quite a lot of people might be doing the Reaper Gravedigger, I'm probably one of them. it's a great mini.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader, oathing one Callie, Human Rogue (with weapon swap for some brass rod) and one Gravedigger, by Reaper Bones

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

jodai posted:

Oath Complete!
Here are Dahlia and Skarath

Here's my Avalonian Alkemy group

Here's a look at the OSL I attempted. I feel like at one point I had it down but I kept fiddling with it and made it worse than it initially was. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed trying to get it done and I definitely want to try some glowy effects again. I guess that's what this thread is really about, right?

So, that's another group finished and the Jurnal for this month.

The OSL's good in execution, but not in placement - for instance, it's on the underside of his arm, but less on the top and none on the top of the staff - so the light source appears to be coming from under his arm rather than the crystal. Also ought to be a lot more on his face.

It helps to think like a raytracing engine, IME - drawing imaginary lines from light source to what they're hitting, further away is less saturated/bright.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

jodai posted:

Thanks for the tips. I was not sure how to paint the staff because it seemed like a lip and that light shouldn't be hitting it. Then I was going to paint on the face but I thought if the light was really soft it wouldn't reach the face. I seriously did and redid it so many times that eventually I just got frustrated and made it look good enough. I'm also a really sloppy painter and I think OSL takes a lot more control. Every time I finish and take my pictures for this thread, I see a billion mistakes. Instead of correcting them, I just try to do better on the next mini.

FWIW, this is the best way to work. Don't try and get one mini perfect, try and get 10 minis the best you can, and the last one will be better than the first and only would have been if you keep trying to correct it.

OSL-wise: skin is a lot shinier than most cloth, and one reason that looks odd is that the light is REALLY intense on his sleeve, but doesn't go much further.

The staff is a logical thought, but a: there would be a lot of reflected light around from his sleeve which would illuminate it somewhat, and b: sometimes it's better to do what feels right than paint like a raytracer (yep, contradicting myself right out the rear end here) - something that close to the light source feels like it ought to be lit, so it should be.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

One Bones Callie, Human Rogue (weapon swapped because... well, bones are super-flimsy) and one Bones Gravedigger:

Claiming OSL jurnal. Pretty pleased with how this came out, all told, though I don't think it's perfect. It was pretty terrifying midway through, as it was just feeling like it had all gone wrong. it's true what they say, you just can't judge a mini til the last brushstroke hits it. I have to say also that the gravedigger has probably been my favourite human-sized Bone to paint thus far. It's a really characterful, detailed figure, it was great fun, and felt really quite easy, to paint.

The archer was a bit meh, the face scuplt in particular was dodgy, and there was way too much tiny detail on the cloathes that just felt like I was smearing the poo poo out of it. I tried a new technique, though, dotting with a cocktail stick per this tutorial: http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/tutorial-making-skin-with-dot-grain.html - the cloak is supposed to look like leaves, and as it is it kinda looks camo-y. I'm not that pleased with the mini, or the effect, but it's do.

Also, backstory for the gravedigger as below:

Geraghty swore, he could hear noises out in the cemetery. Most of the people around had learned, but apparently not all. He hoped... but no, he could hear other noises, as uninvited guests attracted the attention of the locals. He sighed, swore again, and threw on his duster. He picked up the shovel; it wasn't much, but it was soaked in the earth of this place, and held a certain power over those who were supposed to remain within that soil. He stepped outside into the deceptively warm orange light of his lanterns. These were corpselights, given to him by the mage-lord of the town, and in their light, the insubstantial was corporeal. His shack was ringed by four of them, with a fifth above, and a sixth within. The seventh, he pulled down from its hook, and snapped his fingers. The nearest permanent light flickered, almost seeming to cough, and its light split in two. One half stayed, guarding the shack from unwanted approaches, whilst the other leapt into the lantern in his hand. By the glare of the corpselight, Geraghty stepped out into the graveyard.

Was this job really worth the money? he wondered, with a grimace.

Also, thereby claiming Double the Fun.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 27, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks =)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Til midnight here: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_AS.aspx i.e. just under 12 hours.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dagon posted:

31 Days this month, til midnight there tomorrow.

Herp derp yes indeed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Signal posted:

Journal is the crazy multicolored glowing ball on this Photomancer.

God drat that's nice. You've really done a great job there.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Thin your paints more, it will help.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Aww foo, NMM. Not sure what to do with that on what I've got planned this month.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Might paint something quick when I get back, but off to go get married tomorrow, so maybe not!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Sadly given that tomorrow morning is basically my only painting time and I'll have other things to do, I think I'm going to have to skip this month D:

But I did get married!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lol, we didn't have any, the whole cake was a big model tall ship!

(I did think about making cake toppers myself, but I'm part of a tough couple to model given my wife is a wheelchair user, and they wouldn't really have fit the cake).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Monoliths posted:

:parrot:JUDGEMENT OF JULY:parrot:
Yep, sorry it took me ages...

1 Point - thespaceinvader

These two kept catching my eye as I was making my decisions, so I'm happy I get to say how much I like them now! Though each individual shot is framed fairly small in the admittedly convenient collage, I'm certain these are really great paint jobs. They evoke completely different landscapes and lighting conditions surrounding them. The green cloak of the ranger is beautiful, and I feel could actually provide decent camouflage in a sun-dappled forest. The lantern fella suggests a bleak and dreary dusk to me, in which the light of the lantern seems surprisingly bright to gloom-accustomed eyes. I especially like the shot from behind, it shows off the spectrum of values nicely.

2 Points - Grey Hunter

These fellas really stand out to me, they look so handsome in their splendid uniforms. Everything is crisp and well-defined, quite a feat at such a tiny scale. The red and blue look great together, sharing dominance of the scheme tactfully. The gold and yellow is maybe my favorite part, it creates super tasty ornamental glints even at a fair distance. The decorative borders on the flags are wonderful, they are fine enough to really sell the scale well. Same goes for the grass, actually, it looks natural next to those tiny chaps.

3 Points - Laika The Space Dog

This tells such a nice tale. Well, probably a violent and gore-spraying one, actually. You have several color schemes going on in the same piece, in addition to two different lighting effects from three different directions (!), but you bring it together well with an eye-catching, comic-book style. I can imagine the rest of the lab around them with just what you've given us here. I enjoy how the scheme works in ascending rings; first the oranges around the base and overalls, then the purple of the apparatus, then the blue glow and hat, then the various earth tones of the minotaur. The greens on either side frame the ideal viewing angle, and the lightly colored shirt and skin of our doomed hero provide a focus of brightness which contrasts with the duller but much more aggressive silhouette of his murderous new friend. Great work!

Bonus Jurnal Point - Slimnoid

All your characters this month are fantastic, it is true, but I do want to bring special attention to glowy molten goo going on here. You totally nailed the look; the bright, rich, hot yellow tapering out to warm grey. I am worried for these people showing off their moves right next to it. What if a little bit burped out and got in a pocket or unoccupied gun holster? Adventure safely, folks.

Holy poo poo I think that's the first time I've ever got a judgepoint! Thanks!

I got a new camera as a wedding gift, so I should be able to take MUCH better pics now!

I've been trying to collage them for judge convenience mostly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Another late Oath from me, I had some nasty tonsillitis going on and didn't want to get my germs in my brushes.
FROOOOOOOOG: One Reaper Bones Giant

That is a STORM giant I will have you know.
:goonsay:

Also, gently caress, I missed another month D:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Loving the look of your purple warpaint.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

* begins pondering how to work the colours of the charity we had donations to as wedding presents into his next oath.

*begins to ponder what to paint for his next oath full stop

*arg.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oathing these three pirates from Reaper Bones.

Gonna paint them in the colours of the charity we supported in our wedding gifts, the Jubilee Sailing Trust, because that's where i met my wife and they're awesome.

http://jst.org.uk/

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

What the gently caress 'eye monster', it's a beholder you unwashed savage.

It's only a beholder if it's made by Wizards of the Coast.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Reaper version is a Gauth rather than a beholder anyway. it's not big enough nor does it have enough eyestalks to be a beholder.
:goonsay:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oath Failed too. I knew I was pushing it oathing with only a week without weekends to go. gently caress.

I have three days off next month before I start my new job, so hopefully I should be able to get something done next month.

Unfortunately I already have too many colours on this month's models to re-oath them. Is saving the whales still a thing?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Given I'm spending the next two or three weekends working on building a life-sized Dalek at my hackspace, I think I'm out for this month.

Can I make that an AU oath :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The oath threads are annual, but the oathing year is not the calendar year; January is just another month. This year started in May.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Based on last year, basically anything you think you can justify!

Must think about what I'm going for... It's been far too long since I've oathed.

E: for instance, last year my mage invented toilet paper:

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 1, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

:frogsiren:Oathing Halbarand, Cleric:frogsiren:, 28mm, from Reaper Bones.

Need to get back on the horse with minis, it's been too long.

My plan for the theme is the book will be TORM for Dummies

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Torm is forgotten realms deity. The For Dummies series is a visually recognisable series of how-to books.

I'm also intending to freehand his god's logo onto his tabard.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Faaaah super :effort: this month. Oath Complete: Halbarand, Cleric by Reaper Miniatures Bones

It's mega :effort: but it's my first (completed) paint on plastic in 6 months. My white and dark red have dried out, and I desperately need to rewire my lightbox (none of the three lights worked at all), and generally :argh: at life with it, but it's done, and speedpainted no less. Quality is acceptable but not exceptional, thanks in no small part to various washes.

Completion pic:

Claiming:
Jurnal: Fourth Wall the Torm for Dummies book in the little cutaway.
Jurnal: Freehand the Torm symbol on his chest tabard.
Speedpainting: two and a half loving hours bitches.
Hopefully Fly Your Flag for the Cormyrean purple dragon symbol on the back which is freehanded onto a freehanded shield on his otherwise-blank cloak - but it's not technically speaking a banner, and I'm never winning, so meh if it doesn't fly(!).

e: oh holy poo poo my camera has too many megapixels, don't zoom in guys it has nothing but flaws if you look any closer aaaaaaaah.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Schmetterling posted:

Oath Complete!

:allears: awesome, and a really cartoony/cel-shaded look, too. Reminds me of my fantasy fantastic four from last year, of whom I never did get round to posting a complete photo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

D: another month passed, another month not oathed.

Man I need to work my schedule out better. It will be easier in the summer when the evenings are brighter.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

krushgroove posted:

DOUBLE TROUBLE!

Can do boss!

Oathing Bronzeheart, Minotaur Hero

Original mini http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/previews/latest/77255
Jurnals: Cut and Swap - weapon swap for the sword from this guy http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/bones%20golem/latest/77168, and a scratchbuilt shield, plus repositioning the hand to hold the shield and probably a scratchbuilt base if I get round to it, Whatever the OSL one was called his sword be glowy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oath Complete!

Please excuse the terrible photos, my lightbox is packed away at the moment as we're having some work done on our ceilings, even if it didn't need completely rewiring.

Jurnal: Double Quadruple trouble
June: Custom base The base size for this guy was a little larger than 25mm so I made this base myself out of 3mm plywood which I turned round with a drill and chisel. The boring tile floor is done with cut-up card.
July: OSL The sword is glowing, I promise. For those who know FR lore, it's Faervian.
September: Cut and Swap Neither the sword nor the shield (nor indeed the base) is from the original mini.
January: Freehand The shield emblem.

Also, I can't manage all for one, as I've already given the elf ranger from July away, but here's All But One (including my failed oath from October) in case it's useful.

Again, a bit :effort: this month, much of which is due to the aforementioned building works.

• Locked thread