Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: Kickoff time! :siren: 

I, Dr. Gargunza, to start this new oath season, hereby oath (1) Marty Stu Author Insert Character Drizzt Do'Urden and Guenhwyvar!  From Gale Force Nine minis, 28mm.

I haven't decided whether to put them on the single base, or on their separate bases, so I've worded the oath statement confusingly and photographed all three bases.  (I might do something with magnets, I dunno.)  At any rate, I also plan on going for the Box Art one-time bonus in addition to this month's Jurnal.

gad those eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Slimnoid posted:

May is the month of pansy-rear end elves!

Hey, don't talk about my Drizzt like that. ;)

Serious question, though: I'm painting this month's oath as a birthday present, and odds are high that I won't have it available for an end-of-season photo to get the All For One! bonus. Did I just screw myself? Should I go buy a duplicate of this mini to paint for the year-end pic?

Also: I know things are a bit in flux right now, but are there plans to do quarterly achievements like last thread's conversion bonuses?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

This would've gone so much smoother if I hadn't found a way to break the model in sixteen separate places, four or five of which occurred after I primed it.

Inquisitor's Jurnal: WIP Photos!

Models primed black, drybrushed grey. (Note the blurry sword-arm in the foreground with a fresh coat of superglue on it for break #3!)

Basecoated bits on corks.

Last-minute replacement! The right-hand sword broke off and flew somewhere in my living room just as I was about to do the metals on it; I replaced it with the left-hand sword from the box. Here you see the pieces just prior to assembly.

:frogsiren: BIRTHDAY PRESENT MODE :frogsiren:

Here's the Parts List (mostly so I don't forget later in the season). I also tried to go with a more restrained palette this time around. i couldn't

Primers:
Vallejo Surface Primer, black
Vallejo Surface Primer, grey

Paints:
Vallejo Model Color (VMC) German Grey
Howard Hues (HH, ugh) Panzer Grey
Privateer Press (PP) Trollblood Base
Privateer Press (PP) Frostbite
Games Workshop/Citadel (GW) Sotek Green
Vallejo Game Color (VGC) Escorpena Green
VMC Iraqi Sand
GW Snakebite Leather
GW Averland Sunset
PP Coal Black
Reaper Dusky Skin Triad (base, highlight, shadow)
VMC Mahogany
PP Menoth White Highlight
PP Rucksack Tan
Vallejo Model Air (VMA) Black Metal :black101:
VMA Steel
VMA Chrome
Army Painter Matt Black
Army Painter Matt White
Army Painter Ash Grey

Washes:
GW Badab Black
GW Leviathan Purple

Basing:
Elmer's White Glue
Woodland Scenics Soft Flake Snow
GW Scorched Static Grass

Other:
Golden Airbrush Medium
GW Lahmian Medium
Pledge Floor Finish w/ Future Shine (or whatever they're calling it now)
Liquitex Matte Varnish
Liquitex Satin Varnish
Gorilla Super Glue, applied with embarrassing frequency whenever something snapped off the model every time I looked at it sideways accidentally fumbled it

My goal with this mini was to duplicate the Box Art.

With the Jurnal, the Parts List, and the Box Art bonuses, I believe this qualifies me for Double the Fun!

Finally, Season 5iver!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Deanut Pancer posted:

Here's my jurnal/parts-list entry, in poster format:

These are fantastic. :allears:

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

enri posted:

One day I'll try to get my space hulk minis painted up but that isn't a task taken on lightly :ohdear:

You can do it! I managed to get my entire set painted up in just a few months, thanks to the Season 4 oath thread (so thanks to the mods!). I didn't oath termies or Genestealers every month, and a lot of the painting was crammed into the last three weeks before GenCon, but I got them done! (Of course, I keep tinkering with them, but the principle still stands.)

I kind of wish we had a version of the Alternate Universe Oath this year, though, simply because I'd like to finally get all of the figures for my Fortune & Glory game painted up. I'm part of the way there; all I have left are eight more heroes, 11 villains, 8 mobsters, 16 Nazis, 8 Crimson Hand cultists, what the hell have i gotten myself into

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
LaikatheSpaceDog: Please tell me you're running a Shadowrun campaign with those guys. (Bonus respect points if they're the PC's!)

Canspark: What GW set is that bird wizard from?

e: poo poo, top of the page and no pic. Here's a quick (like, I took it just now) progress-pic, showing one of my earliest minis (I think my second-ever?) from 2009 next to my most recent from this week.

Yes, that's dust on the left-hand mini's base.

Any progress I've made is due almost entirely to the oath thread. Thanks again!

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 1, 2014

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint the following miniatures for the month of June: (1) Brienne of Tarth (Dark Sword Miniatures); and (3) heroes from Flying Frog Productions' Fortune & Glory board game: Jenny Butler, Grant Jackson, & Nigel Harrington! All are 28mm scale. Pic is thumbnailed to allow clicking to verify date & location.

None of these are primed; the green on the Flying Frog miniatures is liquid greenstuff (with which I got a bit carried away). If this violates the one-color rule, please let me know ASAP and I'll re-take the photo.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

However, I will pony up $25 for a random Alternate Universe oath, no judging or anything. The only catch is we'll need 10 or more people to complete their Oaths at the end of the season!

I will take that challenge!!! Here is my :pcgaming: ALTERNATE UNIVERSE OATH :pcgaming: for season five, in which I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to complete (48) miniatures from Flying Frog Productions' Fortune & Glory boardgame by the end of April 2015!
The figures are all 28mm scale. I painted some of the minis (8 temples, 4 heroes and a zeppelin) in last season's oath; this year I intend to complete the whole shebang, in an oath so big it took 2 pictures to fit it all in! (Thumbnailed for ease in viewing/confirming the date & time.)

The figures are as follows:

The Mooks
(L-R) (8) Mobsters; (8) Crimson Hand Cultists; (16) Nazi Soldiers.

The Big Bads/Big drat Heroes
Crimson Hand villains (3, L-R): The Inquisitor, Angelica Hamilton, Sir Benjamin Crowley;
Mob villains (5, L-R): Franco Fedicci, Vanessa Love, Joey Smiles, Icebox Eddie, Mickey "the Hammer";
Nazi villains (3, L-R): Herr Teufel, Tresa, Colonel Stahl.
Heroes (5, L-R): Alexander Cartwright, Angel Espinoza, Sharon Hunter, Li Mei Chen, Jake Zane.

(Note: Some of the figures have liquid greenstuff slapped haphazardly on them; let me know if you need me to re-take those pictures with a single primer color on the figures.)

I don't even care about prizes, I just want these things done!
...Having said that, of course, will nine other oathers join me in this challenge? (Pretend I gave some big inspirational speech about the spirit of competition and backing each other's efforts here.)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Argh, I'm going to have to post an Oath Failed for this month. I'm in the path of the giant-killer-death-storm currently hitting the Chicago area, and I came home to find some water in my basement. Between that and having to repair my breaking yet another half-done model, my mood to paint is a bit shot.

Sorry about that. Hopefully I can save these whales this month. (But thanks for the Klingon, krushgroove!)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint (1) Chaos Lord Kranon the Relentless!  From GW's Dark Vengeance starter box, 28 mm.

I only hope my hands are steady enough for what I want to do with this mini....

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: OATH COMPLETE! :siren:

The thing I both love and hate about GW minis is the insane level of detail. In this case, though, the fiddly bits sort of worked out in my favor, as I was able to put different examples of the Detektuv's Jurnal in several places on the model. Most prominently, the stat line for Kranon in the DV quickplay list shows him as having an Aura of Dark Glory upgrade, which I've represented here by having his cloak be on fire.

(...Which I could not take a picture of on the back of the cloak to save my life.)

There are also some glowy spots on his armor (chest skull & medallions, WWE championship belt, crotch-face); his plasma pistol has the traditional glow, as well as his left helmet eye against his pauldron; and his power sword is glowing more fiercely toward the end.

Finally, VOODOO CHAOS GLOW SKULLS :frogsiren:

For the fire effect, I used the methods in the Buypainted "realistic flames" tutorial, with my Sotar 20/20 set all the way down to "Planck-length spray width," maddeningly-tiny stencils and a lot of swearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y6TlMIYXWw

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint (1) Orc Swordsman! From Reaper Bones, 28mm.

I might do an addition later, and possibly save my June whales if there's time.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: OATH COMPLETE! :siren:

I'm not a big fan of NMM; I mostly use a NMM-esque technique to put shading and highlights on actual metallic paints. That being said, there's not a single brushstroke's worth of metallic paint on this orc. Any shininess is due to my heavy use of Minitaire Ghost Tints; apparently I haven't satin-varnished it enough to kill all the shine. The most obvious NMM would be on the shoulderpads and the rusty weapons, though I did try it on the chainmail, buckles, amulet and the horn on his back as well.
(Side note: About 75% of the basecoating was done with zenithal priming and either ink washes or Ghost Tints. This featured most prominently on the orc's skin; if I ever get around to painting the small box of Orks I've accumulated, that's the way I'll do it.)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
(Dammit, now I have to follow the Wizard-Van Wizard Van, rassum frassum...)

:siren: I, Dr. Gargunza, running a bit late, oath to paint (5) Necron Deathmarks! :siren: Games Workshop, 28mm. Nothing's primed yet, just slathered in my usual 17 oz. of liquid greenstuff per square mm of model:

This month's Journal is the middle dude, who I'm cutting and re-assembling as the spotter for the squad. Here's what his component parts looked like pre-cutting (the model itself has the same stance as most of the other Deathmarks when assembled and posed typically):

And after cutting and re-assembly, with re-bent joints, altered rifle barrel grip, repositioned left foot, and a freehand-sculpted monocular rangefinder technowhatsit added to his left hand:

The left arm and head are held on with blu-tac at the moment. All the heads on the other 4 models are also just blu-tac'd in place for right now, so there may be slight variations in head positioning after I've finished painting; everything else is glued in place.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:psylon: Oath Complete! :psylon:

My Journal entry is the cut, swap, repositioning and minor sculpting on the center Deathmark, who has become the spotter for his squad.

If memory serves, this is also my first Themed Group (5 models) of the season.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, hoping I haven't missed the cutoff, oath to paint (1) Large Earth Elemental! From Reaper Bones, 28mm. It's shown here on a base with a bunch of Vallejo Grey Pumice on it, otherwise unprimed.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

goddamn bonesium mold lines

The Jurnal is, obviously, the pink quartz formation on this dude's back.

I'd also like to toot my own horn and point out two charitable events/organizations I've donated to this month, in the spirit of giving or some crap like that: The Riverview Center of Iowa & Illinois, which fights domestic violence, sexual assault, bullying and other issues; and last weekend's 24-hour videogaming marathon for Extra-Life.org, sponsoring fellow goons who hate cancer! See get it their team name is Goons Hate Cancer and their donations go to children's hospitals and

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

ForkBanger posted:

Also, don't buy Vallejo foam snow, it's useless. I'll have to grab some nice PVA and bicarb for some good snow effects on the bases.

Are you talking about the Snow & Foam in the little dropper bottle? Yeah, that stuff...has problems. I swear by Woodland Scenics Soft Flake Snow, myself. It holds together nicely and you get an imperial shitte-tonne of the stuff in the container.

Between ForkBanger and Under 15, I'm really loving all the cell-shaded-looking minis folks are posting lately. Big blocks o' bright color and dark cartoony panel lines. Great stuff, guys!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint (6) Chaos Chosen! From the (2012) Dark Vengeance box set, GW, 28mm.

(This space left blank for future posting of sculpted-hair-for-Journal before & after shots)

Edit: Here is the champion with sculpted-on emo hair!
Before:

After:

And fully assembled (just press-fit for the moment):

(That weird, fragile little claw-thing on his shoulderpad originally had three fingers, but one broke completely off and the other got bent down. Ordinarily I'd shave it off and greenstuff something else over it, but I think the fact that his shoulder is flipping the bird adds nicely to the overall effect.)

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 7, 2014

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Update: I've edited my November oath post to show my sculpting before and after shots!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm going to have to declare Oath Failed this month, apparently due to an inability to get organized during a four-day weekend. :bang:

Quick question: We can combine more than one oath into Save the Whales, right?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to get off my lazy rear end this December and paint (1) Unicorn and (1) set of Special Edition Holiday Mouslings!

Both from Reaper; the unicorn is unprimed Bones, 28mm; the Mouslings are, um, whatever the hell scale Mouslings are supposed to be (and also primed metal).  The clip in the right-hand foreground is holding the sprue with the snowman's stick-arms.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Okay, as punishment for screwing up last month, I'm going to attempt a Speed Paint on this unicorn:

Wish me luck!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Okay, as punishment for screwing up last month, I'm going to attempt a Speed Paint on this unicorn:

Wish me luck!

And Speed Painting Complete!

I'll be posting the finished oath a bit later; right now I'm going to resume frantically cleaning my place. Frickin' holidays....

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete! (A bit later than anticipated)

There's a very slight amount of weathering for this month's Journal, in the form of pigment-powder dirt on the unicorn's forelocks. e: "fetlocks," dammit
I don't have a picture with the finished models together, as they've already been given out separately as gifts. In case that poses a problem, I've included these pictures of them with time stamps. The complete gallery is here.

(Ironically, I finished the speed-painted one after the original oath and then got stuck enjoyed doing family things for 4 days.)

Happy Holidays, folks!

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 25, 2014

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

nesbit37 posted:

As someone who has not done an oath all year I assume I should just wait to do one in May rather than for April?

Yeah, just go for it! I say this as someone who's missed several oaths this season and is way behind on points. Show us what you can do!

(Incidentally, I'm still trying to get my Alternate Universe Oath finished by the end of the season, mostly because I'd like to actually play the game I oathed again sometime this year. Of course, this will involve actually finding the time to paint stuff :ohdear: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
...Okay, some of you might recall that I made an Alternate Universe Oath back in...some months ago. Here's the link to that post:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630222&userid=176065#post430444041

And now, somehow, not sure how I managed to do this, but:

:frogsiren: ALTERNATE UNIVERSE OATH COMPLETE! :frogsiren:

Prepare yourselves for some crappy photos of a crappy paint job from an alternate universe!

From the pulpy depths of the 1930's, it's: FORTUNE AND GLORY!

OUR HEROES:

SHARON HUNTER: Tough-as-nails photographer from the mean streets of NYC! Can she get to the bottom of the vile organizations' nefarious schemes?
LI MEI CHEN: This wily minx from Hong Kong has a knack for finding trouble--but can she get herself out of it?
JAKE ZANE: Will our lantern-jawed pilot save the day--or crash and burn?
ANGEL ESPINOZA: She's got the touch when it comes to fixing machines--but can she wrench herself out of danger?
ALEXANDER CARTWRIGHT: His novels are best-sellers--but can he evade our villains' nasty plots?

THE NAZI BASTARDS:

COLONEL STAHL: Ruthless, cold-hearted, and determined to find his Führer's prize!
TRESA: She's got the smile of a viper, and fangs to match!
HERR TEUFEL: How many innocents will this fiend in human skin torture to get the information he wants?
The TROOPS: As stupid and cruel as they are loyal to the Führer's evil!

THE ORDER OF THE CRIMSON HAND:

SIR BENJAMIN CROWLEY: The forces from Beyond have twisted his body to match his evil spirit!
ANGELICA HAMILTON: The silver screen left her behind--but now the world will pay!
THE INQUISITOR: Who knows what madness he has summoned to this unsuspecting Earth?
The CULTISTS: Subtle, cunning, and determined to bring our reality to its knees! Shi Hai! Shi Hai!

THE MOB:

FRANCO FEDICCI: Boss of Bosses, his avarice and brutality know no bounds!
VANESSA LOVE: She has the voice of an angel--and the naked ambition of the devil!
ICEBOX EDDIE: Fedicci's right hand, a stone-cold killer with a heart of ice!
JOEY SMILES: This wise guy is only too happy--to kill!
MICKEY THE HAMMER: Fedicci's blunt instrument, the deadliest man alive with a Louisville Slugger!
The MOOKS: These "made men" have one job to do: unmake our heroes!

Here's a link to the album in all its un-resized glory. (I'm a bit displeased with it overall. See if you can figure out when I gave up on painting their eyes! :D )

• Locked thread