Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

What's the minimum number of minis required to count as a Theme? I have some undead and knightly types I was thinking of doing up as a life vs death group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I, Esser-Z, oath for this month of June these five (5) Mantic Orks!

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 1, 2014

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Oath Complete, for the first time ever! Five Mantic Marauders form the beginning of my Orks!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

So, I have the Reaper female dragonslayer Bones mini with the big dragon skull built in base. If I painted that up nice, would it count for a point for the Jurnal?

EDIT this mini, to be precise.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 11, 2014

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Is the oath ONLY about OSL? Can I do something... creative with the "lighting" concept that doesn't necessarily means light source painting techniques? I'm rolling around a couple ideas.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

So, say, a converted artillery piece or vehicle with a cannon made out of a dead lightbulb? :3

It's that or a thing with a laser pointer, right now. Hmmm.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

krushgroove posted:

That's a scratchbuild :) the Journal is about painting lighting effects. You can paint lighting effects on your scratchbuild, though!

Bah! My loose interpretation was too loose!

I guess I'll just learn COOL NEW TECHNIQUES instead!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Woah. Wasn't expecting that. Awesome! How do I go about claiming it? The wiki is blocked at work; may have to wait 'til I get home.

Annoyed at myself I didn't oath this month. Will for next.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Yeah, United States.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Poked around a bit. I saw you got the Euro grab bag linked in the starting post, but not the US one yet. It still in the process of being compiled?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Alright, thanks! Just let me know when it's ready to look through (or just post it; I'll be monitoring the thread :v:) and I'll pick out my prize!

Now to ponder what to oath for next month. Maybe wait to see what the Jurnal is. Actually--are you able to do past jurnals as well, or only the current one?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

krushgroove posted:

ANY past Jurnal/Journal will get you the point for the Journal. The new month's Journal is announced on the first of each month, unless I'll be away or whatever...so that means everyone will get the announcement on Friday!

Awesome! Thanks!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Thanks for the link! I'd like to see what the other guy has before I make a decision, though!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Hey Kushgroove, any idea on when there might be a list of what's in the main US grab bag? I'm not in a huge rush, and I can hold tight, but I wanted to check in. Was kinda hopin' there might be something Orky in there, so I don't want to pick from Iris of Ether's gallery yet!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Alright. In that case, I'll take the CAV mech from Iris of Ether's bag. my email is esser.zed at gmail--send me a message and I can send my address.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I, Esser-Z, in this month of August, Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Fourteen, do solemnly oath this one (1) Space Marine Terminator. (GW, 28mm Heroic Scale)

(I will likely be adding to my oath, but I am not certain)

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

OATH COMPLETE!

Claiming Backstory

quote:

It was in the dark days of the Horus Heresy that the Emperor’s only daughter enacted her radical plan to
preserve Mankind. Fearing that civil war and foul Chaos might tear humanity apart, Primarch Lilina took advantage of the strife to erase herself and her followers from the record books, before departing for deep space with a massive fleet of soldier and colonists.

So thus was the Second Imperium born. In her desire to preserve Man, the Empress devoted great resources to recovering the lost knowledge of technology. This doctrine proved an incredible success; Second Imperium technology has greatly improved over the millennia. But that was not all. Through sheer force of will, Empress Lilina convinced her people that not all xenos were automatic enemies. Heresy, perhaps, but the close alliance she forged with the Sa’iin’to Tau has proven most fruitful.

For millennia the Second Imperium, with the cooperation of their Tau allies, concealed their existence from the rest of the galaxy, relying on extensive spy networks to monitor the endless wars. But as the forty-second millennium dawns, the Emperor’s daughter has finished her preparations for her Glorious Revolution.

At the vanguard of destiny strides Captain Sophia Taurus. A great hero, she leads an expedition of Amazon Saints space marines and Sa’iin’to Fire Caste Warriors out of the shadows and into the heart of a galaxy at war.

Like all her sisters, Sophia wields weapons and armor based on a fusion of Second Imperium and Tau technology. Her Terminator armor functions in many ways more like a Tau battlesuit than a traditional Tactical Dreadnought, complete with mobility-enhancing thrusters, and her repeating cannon has replaced chemical propellants with high-power electromagnetic rails.

The woman herself is one of the most honored soldiers of the Second Imperium. By her hand horde upon horde of marauding orks—for even in the depths of hidden space those foul savages prowl---have fallen. Her tactical acumen and mental adaptability are second to none, and her personal martial prowess is the stuff of legends.

Aided by a command team handpicked from both her sisters and the Sa’iin’to cadres, and backed by the faith and technology of two empires, Captain Taurus is poised to shatter the balance of power.

And she is just the first of many...

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

What do we include in the original oath pic? Do we need the model pre-swap and the part we're putting on, the model post swap, or something different?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

krushgroove posted:

In your Oath (original) picture, just say which model you're doing the Journal on. It would help if you can be specific, like saying:

"I'll be swapping his head for another"
"I'll be cutting off the left arm and changing it"
"I'll be changing the pose of the right leg", etc.

In your Oath Complete picture, of course the final model needs to be shown, and definitely detail what you did.

I just want to note that although the 'basic level' of this Journal is to chop off a part of a model and replace it with a piece of another model, this is the only Journal this time around that is wide open for sculpting and that sort of thing - so have at it if you like.

Excellent, thank you!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Okay, so, question. How essential is the CUT part of this Jurnal? I have a miniature I'm planning to give different arms to (because it is missing an arm!), but it was never assembled so I wouldn't have to be cutting parts, just gluing on different ones. Is that acceptable, or do I need to take something and actually alter pieces?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

krushgroove posted:

Think of the CUT part as metaphorical, as long as you swap something for something else it's good.
Excellent! I'll post my oath tonight after work!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

EDIT: retaking pic. Arms are on now though, hope that's ok.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 23, 2014

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I Esser-Z, for this month of September, do oath this Forgeworld Imperial Guardsman with Tau Fire Warrior arms.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Whoops! Didn't notice that! Well. There IS most of a SECOND September visible lower down. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Welp, Oath Failed for September. I oathed late and then my girlfriend broke up with me that weekend, so I was hella not in the mood for painting. Ah well, I'll add that mini to what I do for October.

• Locked thread