Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I, Slimnoid, Oath the following for May: 13 Blood Bowl Wood Elves (28mm, Games Workshop)

For this month, I'm going for the following bonuses: Parts List, Themed Group, and Inquisitor's Journal.

May is the month of pansy-rear end elves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Serious question, though: I'm painting this month's oath as a birthday present, and odds are high that I won't have it available for an end-of-season photo to get the All For One! bonus. Did I just screw myself? Should I go buy a duplicate of this mini to paint for the year-end pic?

I'm wondering the same thing. A lot of my Oaths last year ended up being commission work, and I don't think that's going to change any this time around. Getting them all together would be nigh-on impossible for me.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Wow I didn't even realize I had to take a photo of my oath in the Samoa time zone. I already started painting so uh, is that going to be a problem?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

krushgroove posted:

No, not at all, just take a picture of what you've painted so far with the correct time zone. To a certain extent this is just for officiousness but it's mainly to remind folks that there is a new time zone to take pictures to now :)

Well uh, I kind of finished all the models by this point and I'm waiting for the varnish to dry.

So uh. Should I still take a new photo?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

Here's the Inquisitor's Journal work-in-progress shots.

Here's the parts list:

Games Workshop
Astronomicon Grey
Liche Purple
Snakebite Leather
Brazen Brass
Shining Gold
Chainmail
Dark Angels Green
Goblin Green
Skrag Brown
Deathclaw Brown
Straken Green
Nurgling Green
Leviathan Purple wash
Ogryn Flesh Wash
Agrax Earthshade wash
Nuln Oil wash
Biel-Tan Green wash

Vallejo
Model Color White
Model Air Black
Model Air Gray Primer
Model Air Light Grey
Game Color Bonewhite
Vallejo Liquid Silver
Brown Earth texture paint

P3
Rucksack Tan
Bootstrap Leather
Gun Corps Brown

Coat d'Arms
Tanned Flesh
Festering Brown

Other
Winsor & Newton Lamp Black Oil paint
Mona Lisa Odorless Paint Thinner
Home-made green flock

For ease of bookeeping, I went for the following bonuses this month: Themed Group, Parts List, Inquisitor Journal.

Also, though I haven't gotten an answer back from krushgroove on whether I should take another oath photo or not, I went and did it anyway.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Hypothetical question here: if one were to try and Oath a gaming table or one of those Zuzzy battle mats, what would that fall under? Terrain?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I, Slimnoid, Oath the following models for June: Charon and Incarnation of Flame (Reaper, 28mm), and 1 Dreadfleet Black Kraken (Games Workshop, 1/1200 scale?)

For bonuses, I'm going with this month's Inquisitor's Jurnal on Charon, as well as Speed Painting on the Incarnation of Flame!

Beginning of speed painting time. Gonna get started immediately!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Speed painting complete!

I'll take better photos in my Oath Complete post (and when I get my light box properly set up). But that's it! I even managed to squeeze in some (simple) basing on it too.

For the record, I hate painting yellow. That poo poo is Satan's Game as far as I'm concerned.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Incarnation of Flame

Dreadfleet Black Kraken

Charon

This month's bonuses was the Inquisitor's Jurnal on Charon, and Speed Painting on the Incarnation of Flame. Here's the start and end timed shots for Speed Painting.

I finally got my light box all set up, so now I can take photos that don't look like poo poo :sun:

Edit: fixed some photo issues with Charon.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 13, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I, Slimnoid, Oath the following for July: Kaeris and 2 Gunslingers (Wyrd Games, 28mm); 3x Generic Forsaken Bane, Saint Mark Reaver, and Forsaken Field Medic (Dark Age, 28mm)

For bonuses: Inquisitor's Journal (OSL) on Kaeris and the 2 Gunslingers, Backstory, and Box Art on the Forsaken Field Medic. I am also doing Double the Fun! on Kaeris, with both this month's OSL and last month's Custom Base journal. EDIT: I am an idiot and have already done Double the Fun. Ignore that!

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 3, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Generic Forsaken

Saint Mark Reaver

Field Medic

Gunslingers

For this month's bonuses I went for the Inquisitor's Journal (OSL) on Kaeris and the 2 Gunslingers, Backstory, and Box Art on the field medic, which I have included.

Backstory is below.

- - -

For Kaeris, the blistering heat of the forge was a comforting feeling. The burning, causting sting of molten steel was as fragrant to her as flowers were to others, and just as invigorating. It was home, as much as anything could be on this side of the Breach. All around her worked the men and women of the Miners & Steamfitters Union, that salt of the earth, whose back-breaking labor kept Malifaux running and kept the forges hot at all hours of the day.

The smelting bucket sizzled as it poured out a fresh load of liquid steel, pouring into the crevaces of the drop-forge, of what would eventually become yet another steel rail for the ever-expanding railways. A spark flew out, landing upon her arm, but she didn't even notice. The heat paled compared to the burning intensity within her. Her thoughts wandered, arriving on the Guild and their stranglehold over resources, and their slave driver mentality to the workers who drove themselves to the bone for meager slips of paper.

Ramos had a mission for her. Another raid on the Guild. She couldn't wait.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SRM posted:

drat Slimnoid, you paint purdy. That OSL is lovely.

All the OSL was airbrush work, just two colors (Reaper Phoenix Red and Fire Orange), and used in the directions that made the most sense--in this case, leaning the airbrush right on the base and letting go with light pressure.

I do tend to be a minimalist when it comes to OSL though, so I think that's what is keeping them from being BIG POPPING FUZZY GLOW like so much airbrush OSL usually goes.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Vermintide posted:

OATH FINISHED! ...sort of. I procrastinated a bit too much (much too much) this month and wanted to put a lot more effort into this paint job, like the journal, but ran out of time and steam. Managed to paint it to a tabletop standard at least to make my deadline and get sum points.

Remind me to puncture it with my Black Knights next time we game :clint:

Oh my god this is so :catdrugs:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I, Slimnoid, Oath the following models for August: Saint Luke, Bounty Hunter Orchid, Bounty Hunter Nathaniel, and Saint Mark (28mm, Dark Age Miniatures)

I'll figure out what bonuses I wanna do later :toot:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

You can also get some pretty convincing NMM using glazed layers. That's how I did mine on my Chaplains mace and shoulder pads last season.

The trick to it is to do a basecoat of white, then mix two colors together and then thin it down to a suitably thin consistency (not quite a wash). Using successive layers, mix in a darker color (like black) a tiny amount each time, making sure every layer is dried first before doing the next. After that, go over the raised areas with your original base coat, then one or two highlights with a bit of a lighter color mixed in (bone or a light grey is usually best). Keep in mind where you want light to be reflecting off of, as that is the most important element of making NMM look good.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Additional Oath! A Guardian and Perdita, both from Wyrd games (28mm)

The guardian was hit with a red primer, for the record. then the fucker fell and scraped some of it off on the cement

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Saint Luke

Orchid

Nathaniel

Saint Mark

Guardian

Perdita

The only bonus this month was the Jurnal's Non-Metal Metallic, which is on Saint Mark. I loathed doing that one, by the way, probably because the model itself is just kind of boring and unfun to do.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Do models that were heavily converted beforehand count? I've got an ork mek on a bike I plan to oath and he's cobbled together from a ton of random parts, with no progress shots done beforehand.

Actually nothing I could really oath this month has any before shots done, so uh. Yeah.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I, Slimnoid, Oath the following models for September: 1 Ork Mek on a bike (28mm, Games Workshop); Ian, Crusader Mage and Familiar (28mm, Reaper); 24 Ghouls and Orge unit filler (28mm, Mantic Games and Games Workshop); and 1 Necromancer (28mm, Mantic Games)

Ork Mek

Ian, Crusader Mage and familiar

Ghouls and Ogre

Necromancer

I'm claiming this month's Cut and Swap! journal on the Necromancer, which is a converted Mantic zombie. I've replaced his head with one of the Mantic ghoul heads; I have also repositioned his arms at the wrist and elbow, as well as making him stand straight. I've also clearly done some greenstuff work (and have more to do before I get to painting him).

Here is a comparison shot between the necromancer and an unaltered version of the same zombie parts used.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Where's that head from? Vampire Counts?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ork Mek on a bike.

Mantic Ghouls with GW Ogre.

Familiar

Ian, Crusader Mage

Necromancer

The only bonus I'm going for is this month's Cut and Swap journal, which has some detailed shots below for completion's sake. I used a Mantic zombie as a base, swapping his head out for a Mantic ghoul head, cutting his arms into different positions, and obviously using a lot of greenstuff in the process.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I know you have your reservations about the bolter also being red, but it's such a pure, smooth, unblemished red all over the model that I think you won out in the long run. I'm jealous!

Some of the wires and cabling could use some color though, to help break up some of the monotony.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I, Slimnoid, Oath the following models for October: 1 Necromancer (Games Workshop, 28mm); 1 Undead Lady (Freebooter, 28mm); 1 Skeletal Dragon (Reaper, 28mm) 1 Nightmare Whiskey Golem and 1 Miss Ery (Wyrd, 28mm)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Necromancer

Undead Lady

Miss Ery

Skeletal Dragon

Nightmare Whiskey Golem

The only bonus I went for is this month's journal for a bonus: the pink on Miss Ery's patch for Breast Cancer Awareness (she will cut the poo poo out of cancer, also I forgot about the theme until 10 minutes ago, sue me).

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Deanut Pancer posted:

Oath complete!

Claiming Jurnal for the Pink Stuff in his syringe

Look at that fantastic loving blood splatter.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I, Slimnoid, Oath the following for November: 1 Dreadnought (Games Workshop, 28mm) and 17x Sarcos Mixed Team models (Impact Miniatures, 28mm)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Additional Oath!

I, Slimnoid, Oath the following additional models for November: A count-as Dark Angels Azrael and his helm bearer (28mm, Games Workshop)

To go with this month's journal, I sculpted a little mohawk on Azrael's head.

Grr, angry!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Impact Miniatures Sarcos Mixed Team

Dreadnought

Count-as Azrael

I'm claiming this month's journal on Azrael, as I sculpted a mohawk on his head:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I, Slimnoid, Oath the following for December: 8 Gremlins (Wyrd games, 28mm); 5 Deathwing Knights (28mm, Games Workshop)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

The Impaler posted:

I really like what you've done with the shields.

They're from the Warmachine Exemplar Cinerators models, with the symbols scraped off and replaced with GS copies of one of the Dark Angel vehicle decorations. Just glued them onto some storm shield arms (after some careful cutting) and bam, done.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Gremlins

Deathwing Knights

I'm claiming this month's Journal (Weathering) with the Knight's bases, namely the rust spots, chipped paint, and broken electrical wires.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 21, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Vermintide posted:

Looks like an Oath Failed for me this month. Apparently I wanted to do everything BUT paint!

Psh, you got 2 days! That's PLENTY of time to go without sleep and slave over tiny plastic things for nebulous prizes!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I, Slimnoid, Oath the following for January: 2x Dreadnoughts, 1 Librarian, and 1 Space Marine banner bearer (28mm, Games Workshop)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Space Marine Banner Bearer

Dreadnought

Dreadnought

Librarian

I'm claiming both this month's Journal (Freehand) and Fly Your Flag! bonuses on the banner bearer. There's some progress shots found here for anyone interested.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

LaikatheSpaceDog posted:

Oath Complete!

And some work in progress shots:

Journal: The creepy painting is all freehand!

:catstare:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I, Slimnoid, Oath the following for February: 1x Terminator, 1x Apothecary Terminator, 1x Techmarine, 5x Assault Marines, 1x Inquisitor (28mm, Games Workshop)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Additional Oath: 3 count-as Servo Skulls (Games Workshop, 28mm)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

stabbington posted:

Oath Complete!

Camera ate the highlights on a lot of that red, but drat that was a fun model to paint. Mostly glazes over zenithal primer, messing around with vallejo game air bloody red (that color is good, you should probably buy it).

Shiiiiiiiit son, that's some drat good work.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Deathwing Terminator

Terminator Apothecary

Techmarine

Inquisitor

Assault Squad

Servo-skulls

I'm claiming this month's journal (4th wall) on the Servo-skulls (they're the bots from MST3k! In 40k!) as well as I rolled a 6! on the servo-skulls, since they're game markers and not actual units in their own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I, Slimnoid, Oath the following models for March: Converted Ork Dakkajet, Priest, Mystic, Crusader, and a Storm Boy Nob (28mm, Games Workshop)

The Dakkajet is just a bit too big to take good photos with a timestamp on my end, but it's all been primed black so there's not a lot of details to even see.

• Locked thread