Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Hey guys, is this lot oathable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I, JcDent, oath 5 Warzone Mutant Chronicles Imperial Soldiers and 1 Hasegawa Stuart Tank!
They have all been sprayed with Royal Light Gray.

I'm also going to journal them since mud would do good for them.

I don't oath my finger, but I'm sure it'll get painted.

Now! Can I oath these guys? One has some Tamya Gun Metal on him since I wanted to see how bad it would look.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So, do I need to reoath the lot of them?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

krushgroove posted:

The guy that's part-painted just won't count towards your Oath, but all the other models do. You can only earn one set of points each month, and you can earn Oath points for doing even a single 28mm model, so there's no actual need to do an Oath Addition unless you're a completeness freak. I'm assuming since this is your first Oath that you're not bothered about points, and if you want to be eligible for the various prize draws all you have to do is complete an Oath by the end of the month, which you can do with the models you've got.

Hopefully that makes sense! I know with the one-color paint, Oath additions and all that it can be confusing for a first-timer :) (it was actually way more confusing last year)

I read ya. Will do my painting best!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Oath Complete

Backstory: Somewhere in Segmentum Ultima, located between (and near) the Tau Empire and the Fringe, is a forgotten patch of stars once indexed as Kiefer's Drift. Of course, like many of the unvisited (well, not since the Great Crusade) places inside the Imperium, Kiefer has several inhabited systems, including human civilizations. Kiefer's Rift is also the place were Prodigal Sons are continuing their quest to bring back a hundred planets to the Imperium. Scarcity of recruits or contact with Forgeworlds mean that the chapter operates in small warbands that are filled with veterans and usually self sufficient.

It's my official explanation why I'll be using a Deathwatch Kill Team painted orange and representing the Sons

The world of Systernus lies straight in their path. The Sons are tired, weary and beaten, while Systernus is a populous planet with sophisticated manufacturing capabilities. It's time to settle down and establish a base of operations and training. But the depleted chapter can't wage an outright war, so a small warband let by a librarian makes planetfall to convert local forces. Their place of choice? The Red Waste and their numerous if isolated Red Waste Sentries...

My guys represent a Kill Team of Imperial Guardsmen (using Heralds of Ruin rules). They will be led by a Commissar (a.k.a. January oath), but today, I have "completed" the veteran section of RWS that has converted to the cause of the Space Marines.

Excuse the potato quality.

These are Camo cloak, sniper rifle Veterans!

And these are plasma gun carapace Veterans! One of these guys already had his chest and leg "plates" "painted" when I oathed them, so only 4 of them count.

Ghetto plasma gun out of half a flamer, hilt of a Bauhaus Ducal Militia Really Stupid Looking Gun, some Tamiya Epoxy Putty, and two armor plates from Bauhaus Ducal Militia Sergeant. I have no clue what's their use on the official model.

Hasegawa Stuart converted to be a Desert Personal Patrol Vehicle. It's either an Autocanon team or an AC sentinel, depends on how the mood strikes. I probably like him the most.

All the dudes (sans Commissar Unpainted) together! Can I claim Themed Group?

Parts: Here are the paint I used. The bottle of white down there covers up Tamiya Hull Red, which was used for brown coloring. GW Kantor Blue is off screen, but it helped.

Parts used in making this:

Target Games' Warzone: Mutant Chronicles Bauhaus Ducal Militia and Imperial Army Regulars. They are a bitch to clean, assemble and paint, and are lovely for conversion due to their more realistic nature: GW and most heroic heads look HUGE on them. Plus, general lovely quality. But $30 for 80 seemed a good idea I bought them, I thought I'd play Lost and Damned and these will be cheap bodies to bulk it out... or maybe used as IG. Dropped the idea after the newest Guard Codex and newest editions of rulebook. gently caress 6.5 and 7.

The heads are Pig Iron Heavy Trooper Alternate Heads. Pig Iron got them to Japan in three days, I nearly poo poo myself how fast that was. Not a fan of painting metals, but they don't need that much cleaning, and likely much easier to paint if you're not retarded.

The guns are mostly the one's that come with miniatures... Well, no, basically everyone (except for three dudes) got the Imperial Army Regular guns, because whoever designed Bauhaus rifles is retarded (they do work as shotguns once you cut them up, tho). The sniper rifle is a converted lasgun that uses a bit from the Hasegawa Stuart as the barrel, and the bipod is made from two carrying handles cut off from Ducal rifles. I already mentioned the unfortunate plasma.

The capes and the "armor" are Tamiya Epoxy Putty and marks the first time I used it. I tried to do splinter camo on them (as outlined in Flames Of War: That Book About Basically The End Of The War For Germans And Soviets), and failed.

The DPPV is a Hasegawa Stuart tank. Hasegawa models are poo poo. Flash everywhere, some parts don't really fit, generally small and lovely, and the tracks are these rickety pieces of rubber. Didn't feel any remorse while cutting it up. The "conversion" also uses the Catachan driver head, the body of an Imperial Army Regular, and the heavy stubber from the Chimera. The paintjob is a ghetto version of Mars Pattern Camo or something.

Used Stirland Mud for, well, mud, then painted it Khorne Red then "drybrushed" Evil Sunz Scarlet. Can I claim Journal for the mud?

Copious amounts of random crap, mainly plastic bread bag pins/vices/whatever keeps them closed were used.

Highlighting, dry brushing, blending - all these and more techniques are still a mystery to me.

Next month, I'll do actual good miniatures with zero conversion work, so it will probably be easier for me, and more heartbreaking for you.

You can post this stuff in the Unspiration thread. It will break my heart, but you learn through pain

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I, JcDent, oath one Commissar Yarrick and One Company Champion, from Games Workshop!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Iris of Ether posted:

:siren: Hey December pledgers! :siren:

Please make sure that I've got your entry correct on the December 2014 tab. I'd like to roll for December prizes before I return to work at the end of the week.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhbAQSD-C_25dFcwTGtXeWJpNG9Ob18yclJKYUhQMkE&usp=drive_web&pli=1#gid=23

I think I was okayed for 4 of the 5 "armored" soldiers (one of them had had his "armor" painted already), but I'm not gonna fight ya for it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Oath failed. Partially from mismanaged time, and partially from GW taking a look at my miscast champ, saying "interesting" and never replying :argh:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

krushgroove posted:

Like thespaceinvader says, basically anything can qualify here. If you want to throw in a Matrix reference on a Mars Attacks model, go for it! It's really not strict at all: mix Scooby Doo with the Aliens universe, blend Doctor Who into 40K, whatever. Paint Tony Blair's face on a Land Raider, if you want to. This is limited only by your creativity, so I'd expect a LOT of pretty wild entries this month vying for the Judge's points! Painters and modelers go wild :) Just have fun with this one.

Also, I clarified the post to say that you only have to do the Journal one any one model you Oath this month, it doesn't have to be on more than one model unless you want it to.

*Looks at his up-Hammed Gundam that already has a layer of paint on torso*

...gently caress. Gonna gave to oath an SM scout then :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Oathing is still happening, right?

Then I, JcDent oath to paint this Infinity Neo-Terran Capitaline Army Starter pack of three Bolts, One Aquila Guard. One Swiss Guard and A Hexas

• Locked thread