Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

I, Laika the Space Dog, do hereby oath these three fine, stout Ogryns/Obliterators/Mutilators (28mm, Games Workshop with some Maxmini guns and Dragonforge power cables.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Oath Complete!

Work in Progress:

Here they are unprimed, in order to show off my fancy-pants greenstuffing.

Basecoated...

Here they are with the highlights done, but with still billions of little things left to do.

For fun and profit, here is the parts list:

Building Materials

Miniatures:

Assorted GW pieces: mostly ogres
Evergreen plasticard
Two guns from Maxmini
Power cables from Dragonforge
Lots of Greenstuff

Bases:

Plumbers Putty
Pebbles from my garden

Paints:

P3:
Murderous Magenta
Pig Iron

Vallejo:
Dead White
Bloody Red

Citadel:
Leviathan Purple Wash
Nuln Oil Wash
Baal Red Wash
Reikland Flesh Shade Wash
Asurmen Blue Wash
Scorpion Green
Golden Yellow
Snakebite Leather
Vermin Brown
Bubonic Brown
Shining Gold
Codex Grey
Ice Blue
Scorched Brown
Liche Purple
Shadow Grey
Enchanted Blue
Bleached Bone
Red Gore
Chaos Black
Blazing Orange
Dwarf Bronze

So! I would like to claim: Parts List, Themed Group, Double the Fun, and Journal

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Under 15 posted:

Nobody has quoted these dudes but I really like the color selection on them - fits the cyberpunk theme just right. The colors match the conversion work well

Dr. Gargunza posted:

LaikatheSpaceDog: Please tell me you're running a Shadowrun campaign with those guys. (Bonus respect points if they're the PC's!)

Thanks! Yeah, most of my stuff ends up neon-soaked...

Oh, man... if only I could get some people to play Shadowrun with me...

Also: If I wanted to post some alternate-angle shots of the minis can I still do that in my Oath Complete post? Even though it's a new month?

LaikatheSpaceDog fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 1, 2014

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

I, Laika the Space Dog, being of sound mind and body, do solemnly oath: These five weirdos that will be probably be counted as Chaos Cultists. Mostly assorted GW, but there's a couple Mongoose Judge Dredd bits, too.

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Oath Complete

Group Shot:

Turbo:

Joe Football:

Alan the Cultist:

Douglas Fens:

Mad Mel:

For the Jurnal, I hand sculpted moonscapes on all the bases... which is what I do for all my dudes, so, bully for me.

And now, I humbly present:

The Strange Tale of Alan the Cultist

Thursday was the day that Alan the Cultist woke up to find that his face had fallen off. There it lay, inert on his pillow, a small sheet of flesh and muscle. It was not looking up at him, as you may think it would, for Alan’s eyes were still in his skull and connected to his brain. Alan stood beside his bed.

“Fiddlesticks,” said Alan.

Good. He still had his tongue. He lifted a cigarette from his nightstand and and brought it up to where his lips used to be. Adjustments will be necessary, thought Alan, as he regrettably ground the cigarette in his teeth, feeling the papers and tobacco gently scattering over his front.

The second cigarette was better, as he managed to gingerly clench it between his teeth, inhaling the smoke directly down his trachea. He endeavored to have a fairly routine morning. He spilled very little of his coffee, and only got a few muffin crumbs on the newspaper. The dog, Mr. Nurglepants, did regard him with some suspicion, of course, and he took to splashing water in his eyes now and then as he no longer had eyelids. There was also the small, but not unsettling matter of his face still resting upon his pillow in the bedroom.

“I am a Chaos Cultist after all,” he remarked to Mr. Nurglepants. “And I don’t think my face is going to re-attach all that well. I wouldn’t be my handsome self any longer.”

“Bwark,” said Mr. Nurglepants.

Alan the Cultist set about doing the only thing a Chaos Cultist of sound mind could do. He rummaged about in the garage for a shield from last month’s renaissance fair and, from the tool drawer, procured some nails. His search for a hammer was fruitless, however.

“Ah, well.” His head would serve as an adequate hammer, bereft as it was from nerve and tissue. Thusly did Alan attach his lifeless face to the circular surface of the shield. With each nail he stretched his face a little more past the point of recognition, and the resulting expression was hideous enough that Alan wished he had been capable of it when his face was still his to control. He then attached a length of rope to the construct as this was all just for show and preservation, really. Use the shield as an actual shield? With his face attached to it? Nonsense!

Though his neck was sore from all the hammering, Alan was rather chuffed by his new ornament. He dangled it by the rope for his dog to admire. If Mr. Nurglepants had an opinion, he kept it to himself.

The end.

Apparently this board doesn't like indentations... oh well.

So! This month I would like to claim: Jurnal & Backstory!

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

I, Laika the Space Dog, do hereby oath: A couple lead Grenadier Paranoia bits, a barbecue sauce lid, some Pegasus Hobbies chemical and power plant bits, some plasticard, and a Games Workshop minotaur.

There might be some armature wire and guitar string involved as well.

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Pierzak posted:

We expect to see a fully painted and based barbecue sauce lid :colbert:

Sadly, the barbecue sauce lid, as a building material, is proving to be... problematic. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and as it is really just part of an elaborate base, I wish I hadn't included it in the oath.

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

OATH COMPLETE

So, in my oath, I mentioned a barbecue sauce lid as one of my building components. It was going to serve as the teleporter pad the Mr. Minotaur is standing on... but it turns out that barbecue sauce lids are made of a plastic that is TERRIBLE to work with. Don't do it. But, I felt obliged to do something with it so I made an objective marker to practice source lighting on and hopefully score the "I Rolled a Six" bonus! Here's a nicer shot:

And here are some shots of the main model that I, uh... spent a lot more time on:

I'd like this to count for Strike a Pose as well. The story goes that hapless troubleshooter Bud has wandered into a teleportation room, pushed some buttons he shouldn't have, and ported a stylish minotaur into the room with him. That's probably it for you Bud, but remember: The computer is your friend.

So! For this month I would like to claim: Journal, I Rolled A Six, and Strike a Pose.

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

I, Laika the Space Dog, do hereby oath: One Reaper Angel of Peace.

She's mounted on a plastic skull that I had lying around, and some rocks from my garden. I am NOT oathing my dumb ol' hand...

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Hmmmm... I could give myself a non-metallic metal hand.

But then I'd probably just wish I had a metallic metal hand.

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Oath Complete!

I believe I am claiming only the Journal this month, with the NMM present in the skull, the harp, and the harp's strings.

I've never done NMM before... not sure I succeeded with the skull, but I think the harp looks pretty good!

Here's a work in progress shot:

If I remember correctly the skull is an old Halloween party favor... I sawed off the top of it's head, filled it with plumber's putty to give it some weight, and sculpted the ridge with green stuff. The rocks on the base are, literally, garden-variety rocks. The woman in the original Reaper miniature had wings that I had to use in... another project... so there's a little green-stuff hair on her as well.

LaikatheSpaceDog fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 28, 2014

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Firstly: I hereby oath Eight Converted Thousand Sons miniatures.

These folks are all sorts of kit-bashed, composed of Sanguinary Guard bits, Dark Angel bits, Chaos bits, and standard space dude bits. For the journal:

I removed this lovely Khorny axe and replaced it with a more bad-rear end bit from The Black Coach.

I also clipped away the torso completely from some of the Dark Angel legs, leaving only rounded stump, so that I could position a new torso in a different pose (out of the box, the Dark Angel plastics limit you to just face-front poses). In one case, I removed the stump all together, so that I could stick on a marauder torso, but I forgot to take a picture. He's the third dude from the left in the group shot.

Secondly: Thank you judges! I feel encouraged to continue building weird stuff!

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Oath Complete

I detailed the Jurnal stuff in the original oath... I am calling these guys Thousand Sons, but they are kitbashed from Dark Angels, Sanguinary Guard, Chaos, and regular dudes... there are a few Warhammer fantasy bits in there, too!

Swapped an axe for the pole from the Black Coach on this fella.

This gentleman has a marauder torso...

Speed Paint Time!

That's all for now! Claiming: Journal and Speed Paint

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Thank you! Yeah, I'm pretty proud of these guys.

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

I, Laika the Space Dog, hereby oath: 1 GW Orc, 2 GW Goblins, assorted GW Bits, 1 Maxmini Book, 1 Freebooter Rat, and a couple bits of dollhouse furniture.

It will all make sense in the end...

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Oath Complete!

At first, I was going to go ahead and just paint something pink, but then it occured to me that I paint half my stuff pink, anyway. So, as my cause, I selected literacy! And built the following little scene:

There's probably something in the Warhammer cannon that says that Orcs and Goblins can't read, but I don't care!

Here are some work in progress shots:

I would like to claim: Journal and Fly your Flag!

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Well, crap. And I've had my oath ready to go for a while now... Somehow the actual timing of the oath deadline escaped me! It's a cruel world...

Can the whales be saved for a missed oath deadline?

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

I, laikathespacedog do hereby oath: 1 GW Ogryn with plastic sink and plasticard mirror and 1 Reaper Svetlana the Frost Giant

I, also, have a question about prizes... I just realized I won the drawing for the Quarter One Badger Airbrush Minitaire starter set... should I send Krushgroove a PM with my address?

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Oath Complete!

First we have Svetlana the Frost Giant Princess from Bones. I sculpted the base myself, though.

Next we have this Ogryn with a pompadour... He has a pompadour due to last month's hairy oath, but I was too much of a nitwit to remember to oath him last month.

He's looking in a mirror.

That I painted by hand...

...and is removable!

In case you were wondering, Army Painter spray primes Bones plastic BEAUTIFULLY. Dries fast, no tackiness.

I'm claiming only the JURNAL this month, in the form of the Ogryn's sweaty tanktop and the nasty, dirt-encrusted bathroom he's standing in.

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

I, Laika the Space Dog, Hereby Oath:

1 Mordheim Dude (GW), covered in Greenstuff and mounted on a sheet of plasticard ; A creepy picture frame assembled from my bitz box.

I may be going off the deep end this month... anyway, the picture frame consists of pieces from:

Zinge Industries
Maxmini
Games Workshop
Wargames Factory
Pegasus Hobbies
Mantic Games
Old Military Model Kits That I Don't Remember What They're Called

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Oath Complete!

And some work in progress shots:

Journal: The creepy painting is all freehand!

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Thank you so much, y'all! I'm a little overwhelmed!

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

I, Laika the Space Dog, hereby Oath: 1 Testors Ryan PT-20 Trainer and 1 Testors Gee Bee Racer.

Both planes have been battle-damaged and Chaosified. Also visible is the Green Stuff that will be artistically glopped onto the base.

Edit: Is imgur having problems? My image disappeared. I'll try it again...

LaikatheSpaceDog fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 21, 2015

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Oath Complete!

Before and after excitement!

Just a little bonus... the space marine isn't part of the oath.

Jurnal is the melding of Chaos with real world planes!

Also, I airbrushed the basecoats with the Minitaire paint I won in one of the drawings months ago. They worked really well!

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

I, Laika the Space Dog, do hereby oath: 3 converted GW SpaceDudes

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Oath Complete

The irony with this fella is that he fell off my table mid-paint and suffered two broken arms. You'll note that one of his spikes is missing as well, so... in a month about battle damage, this mini threw himself into it feet first.

Also, old GW plastics are kind of a pain in the rear end to paint.

And now for something completely different:

'Tis but a scratch!

Journal is the flesh wound suffered by the Black Marine.

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

I hereby oath: 1 mostly GW terminator mounted on a Papo Pachycephalosaurus model, and an Adams peanut butter lid covered in greenstuff

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Ooh! Looks like I'm pulling from Iris's grab bag. I don't have a platinum account, so... I guess I'll post what I want here? I'd like to claim the Bones Cthulhu as the "big" prize, and those Kara Black figures as the "small" prize.

Also: Yes, I did receive my Minitaire starter set! They're very nice.

How shall I get you my shipping address?

Thanks for everything!

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

FINAL OATH COMPLETE!

Let's see, so we have: work in progress shots, some pink, some source lighting (in the pit), cut and swap on the hammers, custom base, ummm what else?

Some work in progress shots, 'cause greenstuff is cool.

A long overdue In Battle! Shot:

Svetlana vanquishes some Necrons in... the Underhive, obviously.

And finally:

All for One!

May: Three fine, stout Ogryns/Obliterators/Mutilators http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630222&pagenumber=12perpage=40#post430405989

June: Five weirdos that will be probably be counted as Chaos Cultists http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630222&pagenumber=21&perpage=40#post431609816

July: A couple lead Grenadier Paranoia bits, a barbecue sauce lid, some Pegasus Hobbies chemical and power plant bits, some plasticard, and a Games Workshop minotaur. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630222&pagenumber=28&perpage=40#post432910716

August: One Reaper Angel of Peace http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630222&pagenumber=33&perpage=40#post434136275

September: Eight Converted Thousand Sons miniatures http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630222&pagenumber=38&perpage=40#post435613220

October: 1 GW Orc, 2 GW Goblins, assorted GW Bits, 1 Maxmini Book, 1 Freebooter Rat, and a couple bits of dollhouse furniture http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630222&pagenumber=43&perpage=40#post437077869

November: OATH FAILED!

December: 1 GW Ogryn with plastic sink and plasticard mirror and 1 Reaper Svetlana the Frost Giant http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630222&pagenumber=51&perpage=40#post439633216

January: 1 Mordheim Dude (GW), covered in Greenstuff and mounted on a sheet of plasticard ; A creepy picture frame assembled from my bitz box http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630222&pagenumber=54&perpage=40#post440907256

February: 1 Testors Ryan PT-20 Trainer and 1 Testors Gee Bee Racer http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630222&pagenumber=59&perpage=40#post442165644

March: 3 converted GW SpaceDudes http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630222&pagenumber=64&perpage=40#post443483554

April: 1 mostly GW terminator mounted on a Papo Pachycephalosaurus model, and an Adams peanut butter lid covered in greenstuff... Hey, it's in this very post!

So I am claiming: Jurnal, All For One, and In Battle!

LaikatheSpaceDog fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 30, 2015

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

If I could translate my good luck here to real life...

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Package received! Thank you, Iris!

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Brushes: Received!
Pigments: Received!

Thank you!

I guess I should paint something...

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Slimnoid posted:

Oh man I totally thought I'd get beaten out by Red Shoe or Laika this year, since they both so good this year (especially you Laika, you were hittin' it out of the loving park).

Thanks, man! We all did some amazing work this season.

As for my prize, I think I'll go with the Minitaire Paints!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

I received my complete Minitaire set today! It's pretty stupendous.

Thank you!

• Locked thread