Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Forums Terrorist posted:

I, Forums Terrorist, oath 10 T-34/85s in 15mm by the Plastic Soldier Company.

A tankovy! Well, good sir,

I, YF19pilot, oath 11 Panzer IV H in 15mm by Battlefront (Flames of War). That's 10 plastic (5 mostly built, 5 unbuilt) and one resin/pewter.

I also promise to do my best to not quit 3 months in because of my retail job. I no longer work retail which means I actually have weekends and predictable spare time to actually work on this. The prize I won last year is unpainted, but I may do that next month, what with the summer theme and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Oath Complete!

And for the Jurnal...

Primed/Base coat, and partially assembled.

First camo color (or is it second?), and mostly put together.

Second camo color, plus painted crew, and fully assembled. Not enough skirts to go around, though. For those with sharp eyes, there is a slight modification to a couple of turrets:

Some smart Heer figured it'd be quicker to abandon a stricken tank without the outer set of doors on.

Slap some decals on and we're ready for sealing.

Part's List:

Kits used:
Two boxes GBX79 Plastic Panzer IV H
One blister GE046 Panzer IV H (resin + pewter/white metal)
One set GE942 DAK Decals
Three sets of Battlefront's 5-panel Schurzen sprue (no kit number because it's something you have to special request, can't buy)

Paints:
Flames of War "War Paint" Italian Armour SP09 spray paint as primer/base
Vallejo 882 Middlestone - base coat/ German "Dunkelgelb"
Vallejo 826 German Cam. Medium Brown
Vallejo 888 Olive Grey
Vallejo 830 Ger. Fieldgrey WWII
Vallejo 955 Flat Flesh
DecoArt "Crafter's Acrylic" Black

Other bits:
GaleForce nine Hobby Glue
Micro Sol decal setting solution
Some paint brushes*, a file, tweezers, sprue cutter, knife.

*RIP: had to toss one of my fine/detail brushes after I finished painting the panzers. Will have to pick another up.

Calling, INQUISITOR'S JOURNAL, + Part's List, = Double the Fun, and an entry for Themed Group,

tweekinator posted:

I'm hoping to get better.

Me, too. And perhaps to save some coin for an airbrush.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Hey, I just noticed an error in the spreadsheet. You have the monthly Jurnal as 1 point, but the Quarterly Spreadsheet formula for determining qualifier is looking for a value of '2'. That is, you have the following formula for May:
=IF('May 2014'!O39=2,ʺYʺ,ʺNʺ)

If this is just a placeholder, then ignore me, but I figured I'd bring it up before people start grouching about not being qualified for the quarterly Jurnal prizes.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Very entertaining read, but now I want that glass. You know, for my elderberry wine.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I, YF19pilot, oath for the month of June, the Scibor Miniatures Summer Set (28mm) that I had won as a prize in last year's Oath Thread.

Extra shot to show they are primed:

I will probably add to this oath once this month's theme is made official.

edit: would like to add, having won this set and looked up who Scibor is, I really like their Polish Historical minis/models, and will try to do something with those later in the season.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Holy crap, I did a whole bunch of things that I didn't expect to do in one day, so uh...

Oath Complete!

Not sure if the time stamp is really needed, but Speed Painting!

Also, Box Art! (or my best jab at as close to as possible)

I want to give a big thanks to Scibor Miniatures for having this as a prize in last season, and for their awesome work. I certainly can't do their models much justice I'm afraid, but I truly cannot decide which is my favorite.

But, not to schlub off for the rest of the month, I will make an OATH ADDITION of one Battlefront/Flames of War artillery OP team (15mm) which has been glued onto one of Battlefront's custom bases just for this Jurnal (and not hastily done for my Italians in last night's battle).

I really need either a second camera or to move my lamp back to my computer desk...

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Diosamblet posted:

Here's a picture of the zenithal primed models I was hoping to Oath (the four in the back). They've been that way for like, a year. (Sevvy there has been primed white for almost a decade)
Honestly, I'm not even sure I thin my paints enough for the pre-shading part to work out - I just find it helps me get a better feel for the model and view of the details.

If they look like that, I can see giving a pass. It just looks like a single, maybe two passes with a spray, not really any kind of actual detailed painting going into the model yet. Like, the arms aren't primed a completely different color from the rest of the model. I, as a terrible painter, would be okay with that.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Karl Rove posted:

I, Karl Rove, oath these Flames of War: Fate of a Nation 15mm figures - four Sho't tanks and one Ouragan ground attack aircraft.

Shabbat shalom

Conan the Librarian posted:

I, Conan the Librarian, do hereby oath to paint these miniatures consisting of 3 Egyptian T-54s, 2 Egyptian ZSU-57-2s, and 2 Israeli Magach 2s.
These are 15mm miniatures from Battlefront.

Allahu Akbar!

I need to oath my M50s, M51s, and AMXs. Probably next month.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Karl Rove posted:

:toot: Hi five fellow defender of the holy land, and if I'm reading your title correctly, Lazerhawk fan.

Actually, never heard of Lazerhawk. I assume you mean the music? I'll have to look into it.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Zark the Damned posted:

Quick question for re: bases. I have a bunch of resin bases I picked up a while back and batch-painted to make sure they were consistent ('cause I'm using them across a couple of small armies), would it be OK to oath some minis and use those pre-painted bases? Both in general and for this month's Jurnal.

You'll probably have to wait to Monday for the official word, but as far as I understand, that would not be kosher. The Jurnal has to be part of your oath, and you can't oath something that has been pre-painted. I believe you can submit the "oath complete" photo on said base, but your base would not be a valid entry for this month's Jurnal, or considered part of the oath for purposes of judging.

You are allowed to oath an unpainted base this month, finish it, then oath the model for it next month, and submit both together for whatever that counts for (strike a pose, in battle, etc), but the difference being those are both oaths from this season.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Previous completion:

YF19pilot posted:

Oath Complete!

Not sure if the time stamp is really needed, but Speed Painting!

Also, Box Art! (or my best jab at as close to as possible)

I want to give a big thanks to Scibor Miniatures for having this as a prize in last season, and for their awesome work. I certainly can't do their models much justice I'm afraid, but I truly cannot decide which is my favorite.

And to finish off this month's oath:
Oath Completed

This should get me in for this month's Jurnal, no other bonuses being claimed. So to sum up my entire oath:
Jurnal entry with the OP (Observation Patrol) team in this post
Box Art and Speed Painting with the pool funnies.

e: just realized the bottom two pictures make the bricks look like piles of gory meat for some reason.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 22, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I, YF19pilot, being of sound mind and bodily health, doth oath the following: Four (4) 7.5cm PaK40 anti-tank guns & crew, One (1) Kfz 15 field car with driver, One (1) Barkmann's Workshop and Six (6) Villagers, all from Battlefront's Flames of War.

In case there is any confusion what is what, the PaKs are blue, field car green, workshop red, villagers yellow.

Also, quick question, what color does a gaslight street lamp burn at, and what kind of color does it cast? Most photos I've seen show kind of a white light, but want to make sure my research isn't letting me down before I fail at my first attempt at object source lighting.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Iris of Ether posted:

I think white or yellowish-white. It will depend on the specific chemicals getting burned, though, and the Wikipedia said there were additives that people included to get the lamps to burn different colors on demand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_lighting

In general, I think I remember from chemistry class that anything organic (carbon-bearing) tends to burn/glow in the white/yellow/orange range.

Edit: As a complete non sequitur, metallic wrapping paper burns an awesome turquoise in a fireplace and I imagine the fumes were probably The Healthiest Thing Ever to be around. :v:

Sweet, thanks for this. Makes sense about the color, I've used an acetylene torch before, and when you're just burning the fuel/oxy to light, it's a yellow-white flame. Accelerating it obviously pushes it into blue-white territory, but that has more to do with the actual temperature of the flame rather than what is being burned at that point.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Oath Complete!

PaK40s; forgot to take more pictures, I really like how the camo turned out, but it's hard to see in this photo.

Kfz. 15 field car

Barkmann's Workshop

The Villagers

Proposition of the Law

The Diners

The Mother; my personal favorite because there's just so many little details, I did not notice the girl clutching to the mom until I started painting this one.

The Nuns

The Vicar

Lady of the Night; this is my attempt at the Jurnal for this month; tried to get the OSL from the lamp, but not sure how well it turned out, as this is 15mm, and it's a little hard to tell in some aspects. Shaded the woman based on how she'd be lit up standing directly underneath the lamp, and the man has lighter colors on his front than his back, with the stones behind him left dark as the shadow he casts. I didn't want to do too dramatic of a contrast as Battlefront had an example of that and it looked kinda ugly, but would probably have been better and create a better sense of this being a vignette. As is, it's difficult to tell the difference from front to back of the 'John'.

Other lessons learned; as fun and cheap as they were to use when I still did 40k, I think I will probably ditch these Applebarrel and other cheap acrylic "crafts" paints. While they look great for color they have a hard time doing things like sticking to the model, even when primed. They hold up okay on plastic and resin, but anything metal and they flake off just looking at them. Glad I got the villagers sealed now, and will probably keep them out of reach for now.

So, claiming Jurnal for the "Lady of the Night" and "I Rolled a 6!" for Barkmann's Workshop.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 31, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

YF19pilot posted:

Barkmann's Workshop

Crap, I just remembered that this is actually a "functional" game piece which can be used in one of two ways; either as an objective marker or to allow certain 'special skills' for the character it goes with. Would this count towards "I Rolled a Six!" or does that have to be a homebuilt piece?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

krushgroove posted:

I guess it depends how you intend to use it as you play...Don't let me dictate what you paint it up as! :)

Okay, well, I'm gonna call it for the "I Rolled a 6!" because it is an objective marker. I'll edit my completed post to reflect that.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

thespaceinvader posted:

Aww foo, NMM. Not sure what to do with that on what I've got planned this month.

Yeah, I actually don't have anything I think I can use in my inventory; don't think it would work at 15mm, and I don't really want to try it on my 28mm (1/56th) Panzer II.

Sistergodiva posted:

Does this mean painting metal without metallic colours? Like using layers to male stuff look metallic?

Yes.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

krushgroove posted:

Oaths ACCEPTED!

Thanks guys! I'll add these to the Journal post. I realize this isn't really a great theme for historicals or some game styles, but I encourage you to try and branch out your styles - for instance, for WW2 models the infantry guns or even tanks could use NMM treatment (some WW2 modellers do the 'rushed German unpainted tank' style sometimes) and steampunk type games might benefit from NMM - brass fittings or stoves, etc...

...of course, you earn a Journal point for doing this month's OR ANY MONTH'S Journal! So you don't have to do NMM if you don't want or if it doesn't fit with your theme/game/style.

Actually, the 'unpainted' German tanks were still in their red-oxide primer, they just didn't have the field-applied camouflage paint. But I get what you're getting at.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Ah-ha! I do have something in my inventory for NMM!

I, YF19pilot, being of conscious state of mind and not under the influence or coercion of any foreign substances or agents, do hereby oath the following; one (1) Me-262 A-2a Sturmvogel and one (1) MiG-17 Fresco; both are 1:144th scale models from Battlefront (Flames of War, Flames of War: Fate of a Nation/Six Day War, respectively).

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Time for me to announce, Oath Complete!

Not sure how I feel about it, I probably have more layers of paint than I really wanted, because it took me a bit to find the right shades (I started a shade too dark on these guys before I realized I need to go much, much lighter). I suppose I could be forgive as this is my first (and second) attempts at NMM. But, here we go;

What every Flames of War player wants to see, three airplanes.

Then I realized I forgot to put the bombs on the planes, so...

I will probably find something to add along the way this month. Or get to work putting other things together, we'll see.
Claiming Jurnal for this month.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

thespaceinvader posted:

Might paint something quick when I get back, but off to go get married tomorrow, so maybe not!

Maybe not indeed. Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Well, sure glad I got my oath done this month! Looks like life will be taking me out of Oathing for at least a little while as I move half-way around the world for work. Probably won't have a September or October oath, but I'll see if I can get back in for November or December, though it'll probably be pretty limited.

• Locked thread