Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

For those of ya'll not in the know, California is a huge state located on the West Coast of the U.S. We flaunt our liberalness, but we also have a shitton of rich people and are the origin of those really frustrating copyright laws. Thanks, RIAA! :commissar:

Other selling point for our state include our diverse climate (seriously, there's more to us than Los Angeles), the tech industry (we will soon be renaming San Francisco "Zuckerbergia"), and our really nice wine industry.

Oh, and weed. We really like weed. :420:

Recently, we have once again come under the rule of our benevolent overlord, Jerry Brown.

Taxes have gone up a smidgen, but our public education system is getting better, and our deficit is finally under control. LONG LIVE LORD BROWN.

Post anything related to California politics, or life in general here if it's tangentially related to politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Would love to hear more on the water politics of state, especially with the extreme drought that is ongoing. *cue Chinatown reference*

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

California politics?

How about Leland Yee, a San Francisco senator famous for his anti-gun views, who was recently arrested by the FBI for corruption and trying to smuggle guns (and shoulder-fired missiles!) into the US with the help of a well known Chinatown gangster named "shrimp boy" and a shady political consultant/former SF school board president. The source of the weapons was a Muslim rebel group from the Philippines named MILF.

:catdrugs:

Rah! fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 1, 2014

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I know a couple people who work in SF regional politics, and evidently Yee has always had a reputation as something of a slimeball who does shady poo poo. Still, they're pretty shocked that instead of getting busted for getting campaign contributions from illegal sources or something similar, he was loving helping to sneak MANPADS into the country. Jesus. Know when to quit Leland.

Motherfucker cost the Dems their supermajority too.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

themrguy posted:

Motherfucker cost the Dems their supermajority too.

Good. The CA GOP might be insane and unelectable, but the CA Dems are all as bent as the Soviet sickle. Lee was the third Democratic senator in three months to get indicted, arrested, or convicted on corruption charges. And that's on top of all of the various local corruption going on all over the place.

Also Jerry Brown can go to hell for selling out to the CCPOA.

And for as much as this state loves weed, we sure can't sort out laws out. It is exacerbating the water crisis, though!

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
$10 minimum wage. Eat it, corporations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rah! posted:

California politics?

How about Leland Yee, a San Francisco senator famous for his anti-gun views, who was recently arrested by the FBI for corruption and trying to smuggle guns (and shoulder-fired missiles!) into the US with the help of a well known Chinatown gangster named "shrimp boy" and a shady political consultant/former SF school board president. The source of the weapons was a Muslim rebel group from the Philippines named MILF.

:catdrugs:

I had a good laugh seeing how he was still on the CA ballot guide.

Also this is pretty much the best article on the Bay Area housing trainwreck:
http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/14/sf-housing/

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
While I approve the creation of the thread, OP should have named it "No Foodchat Zone" given how badly the last one got derailed (and was retired to live out the rest of its days in Tourism & Travel)

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

While we are complaining about Jerry Brown, he also vetoed collective bargaining rights for graduate student researchers at the UCs. Meaning it is still legally prohibited for them to form a union--even though they have to deal with stuff like their advisors overworking them, taking credit for their work, or asking them to grade papers (that's the TAs'/readers' job).

So what does this thread think: would Gavin Newsom have been better? Who is a "good" state democrat?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

VikingofRock posted:

While we are complaining about Jerry Brown, he also vetoed collective bargaining rights for graduate student researchers at the UCs. Meaning it is still legally prohibited for them to form a union--even though they have to deal with stuff like their advisors overworking them, taking credit for their work, or asking them to grade papers (that's the TAs'/readers' job).

So what does this thread think: would Gavin Newsom have been better? Who is a "good" state democrat?

That is a very good question.

EDIT: Us in CA District 17 will likely deal with the issue raised in the above link twice this year.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 1, 2014

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

VikingofRock posted:

Equally interesting is the way that the grad students who are already in unions get treated when they go on strike. UC Santa Cruz's TA union shut down campus for two days this month and 22 strikers ended up arrested. Even in a liberal beach town and university, opinions are pretty much against the strike. If a town like Santa Cruz sucks for labor relations, what hope does the rest of the state (and country) have?

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
My TAs went on strike for a day a few weeks ago. Their main gripes were the class sizes (my anthropology class has 500 people) and their crappy working conditions.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

VikingofRock posted:

I think it depends what you want out of a California Democrat. I don't think Newsom would have had the experience or tenacity to get much done.

The issue with allowing graduate student researchers to unionize was disappointing, but I do remember Brown saying he was open to the possibility in the future, so I don't think he's ever been adamantly opposed to it. Regarding the UCs, I'm more pissed off about the ever-increasing fees and tuition.

Overall I'm mostly pleased with Jerry Brown so far, but I tend to lean slightly fiscally conservative these days. I wish the high-speed rail would work out, though.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

Equally interesting is the way that the grad students who are already in unions get treated when they go on strike. UC Santa Cruz's TA union shut down campus for two days this month and 22 strikers ended up arrested. Even in a liberal beach town and university, opinions are pretty much against the strike. If a town like Santa Cruz sucks for labor relations, what hope does the rest of the state (and country) have?

I was actually on that picket line (so if you were too, I might know you!). My experiences with politics in Santa Cruz have been pretty frustrating--for example the people turning down the water desalinization plant for environmental reasons, despite the environmental studies professors from campus all saying that the desalinization plant was a net positive for the environment. The same goes for Santa Cruz's hard-line anti-nuclear stance. It's like a bizarro version of the trend people were talking about with Mark Levine--the few times that it makes sense to support (corporate) development, the people are virulently against it. Of course, I'm far from a political expert on this stuff so I could just be interpreting it all wrong.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Berkeley TAs are affiliated with UAW and go on strike seemingly every five minutes. I'm not really connected to the campus at all so I don't know, nor care, what their grievances are, but from what I've seen their pickets are kind of sad. Their chants are terrible, (if I recall correctly, I've seen "We have the power! What kinda power? (crowd chants) UNION POWER!" and "Lets show Governor Jerry/This is union territory!) and so nonthreatening cops don't even bother to show up and monitor the strikes. I'm pro-organized labor and all, but I found these displays somewhat embarrassing. California politics!

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Mayor Dave posted:

I think a big factor in the opinions against the strike from the students was that these events happen all the time. I'm pro-union but shutting down access to campus is going to piss off people that would otherwise be sympathetic. People have classes to attend, teach, and lab experiments to run. For the last strike, I didn't even bother to try and get to lab that day, but I heard plenty of anecdotes from others who did.

Also, the rhetoric (and lack of responsibility) displayed by the UCSC TA union is extremely frustrating. In one email they specifically said while they would be striking, it would not be their intention to block access to campus. However, they also noted that in these events there are always some undergrads or others not affiliated with the union that may block access while striking, and that grad students should plan accordingly. Piss off.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Bizarro Watt posted:

I think a big factor in the opinions against the strike from the students was that these events happen all the time. I'm pro-union but shutting down access to campus is going to piss off people that would otherwise be sympathetic. People have classes to attend, teach, and lab experiments to run. For the last strike, I didn't even bother to try and get to lab that day, but I heard plenty of anecdotes from others who did.

Yes, people that would otherwise be sympathetic until they have to suffer inconvenience. Ie people whose sympathies do not run very deep at all. You have problems on your campus which go way beyond intermittent closures. You either support the strikers or you don't. Not that each and every strike is worthy of support, but regardless of whether you're generally pro-union, it does not sound like you support these particular strikers.

There's exactly one and only one way to negotiate with your employer in the same way he negotiates with you: by halting productivity. Since privatization of the university, it's absolutely no different from what happens at a factory picket. They chose that arrangement, not us.

e: But trying to shut down the uni in absence of a general strike, with general backing from the student body is not going to work. I agree that it seems dumb and counterproductive.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 1, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jagchosis posted:

Berkeley TAs are affiliated with UAW and go on strike seemingly every five minutes. I'm not really connected to the campus at all so I don't know, nor care, what their grievances are, but from what I've seen their pickets are kind of sad. Their chants are terrible, (if I recall correctly, I've seen "We have the power! What kinda power? (crowd chants) UNION POWER!" and "Lets show Governor Jerry/This is union territory!) and so nonthreatening cops don't even bother to show up and monitor the strikes. I'm pro-organized labor and all, but I found these displays somewhat embarrassing. California politics!

You also have a reasonable health plan because the TAs unionized, FYI. Sorry you have to hear about chants.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I definitely think that the union has a long way to go on its messaging and tactics, and a lot of the opposition to the strike stems from the shutdown, but I was more referring to the sense I got from a surprising number of students that the campus unions aren't worth supporting. It's more than the inconvenience of the campus closing; I heard on multiple occasions that unions are parasites that suck money from the university at the expense of tuition, etc. I'm not surrounded by STEM students either. Most of these kids would consider themselves to be liberal or progressive, but they have a huge blind spot on labor issues.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Dude, STEM students need a union hardcore. Sure, they usually have more money than Liberal Arts but paying someone 20K/year for a 90 hour work week for pretty terrible job prospects is insane. The problem is that most of them embrace that lifestyle as proper and correct.

I'm glad I'm out of academia but drat, that lifestyle is nuts.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I don't think things are that bad for them at all right now, most of them have a reasonable expectation of a house before thirty. It's when the inevitable surplus of STEM hits that we're going to see some seriously pissed-off MechE grads. This surplus being so completely inevitable because no one will shut the gently caress up about the certainty of these degrees, and will not shut up until its five years too late.

e: Just look at what's happened to law school grads, and apply that to every single profession Obama has heartily recommended because it's conventional wisdom. Don't be surprised if we have two million loving plumbers come out of trade school, and you can get your whole system routed for $20.

Apprenticeship worked. Whatever this poo poo is now, just completely doesn't and is going to burn a stark number of eager beavers.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 1, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

agarjogger posted:

I don't think things are that bad for them at all right now, most of them have a reasonable expectation of a house before thirty. It's when the inevitable surplus of STEM hits that we're going to see some seriously pissed-off MechE grads. This surplus being so completely inevitable because no one will shut the gently caress up about the certainty of these degrees, and will not shut up until its five years too late.

It's actually pretty funny because my university is planning to effectively double the number of engineers here in the next 10 years (to 25,000 students ). The impact of this program is effectively causing a mini housing bubble as everyone and their mother builds apartment complexes.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Mayor Dave posted:

I definitely think that the union has a long way to go on its messaging and tactics

Let's head this off at the pass: Jesus christ, no, let's not get into the minutiae of UAW 2865 issues, because 1) they are too long, complex, and insular to matter to many people here, 2) those that would be interested might end up personally identified given how small the overall group is, and 3) I just had to deal with all of the drama surrounding it for the past week and I'm sick of it.

The least you need to know is the union has 2 factions: the radical grassroots folks and the business-ish top-down unionists. The radicals won in the last union election 3 years ago, made a lot of progress in organizing, but got kind of insular and didn't make too much of an effort to include the STEM folks (even those inclined to support them!).

This ties into your comments about the messaging/tactics. Example: the strike was listed for 2 days at some campuses, one day for others, which makes no loving sense. Not a whole lot of effort was put into making people aware that one or two days of action won't kill their academic career, and that they were legally protected!

There was an election earlier this week where the top-down folks (who have a lot of STEM support) made a huge effort to push back, but they have their own weird awfulness. We'll see what happens when the dust clears. Let's leave it at that.

Jagchosis posted:

There's no real good way to approach a highly-tangled ball of anti-union rhetoric like this other than to say "go educate yourself or gently caress off". The strike action in April was over unfair labor practices like administrators illegally filming union activity (or having the cops do it for them), department people threatening to fire people if they discussed striking, and those same people threatening international students with deportation if they got involved in union activities (which is not true!). This happened on multiple campuses. Furthermore, we don't have a contract and haven't had one since November.

I'm sorry a bunch of grad students chanting some slogans inconvenience you so much. Perhaps you should consider that the university administration has been actively trying to cheap out on their TAs, which is a slightly more pressing issue.

Ok, union blathering aside: Can anyone tell me more about the propositions on the primary ballot? Both seem like decent ideas (Prop 41 redirects unused bond money for homeless veterans programs, Prop 42 forces the cost of abiding by sunshine/open record laws onto municipalities), but I want a better source than the voter information guide.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SporkOfTruth posted:

Ok, union blathering aside: Can anyone tell me more about the propositions on the primary ballot? Both seem like decent ideas (Prop 41 redirects unused bond money for homeless veterans programs, Prop 42 forces the cost of abiding by sunshine/open record laws onto municipalities), but I want a better source than the voter information guide.
I'm not Californian so forgive me if I miss something obvious here, but Prop 42 sounds a lot like it's going to result in nobody actually paying those costs after the municipalities decide they can't afford it and the state government has a law saying it isn't their responsibility.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

How did the UAW end up organizing TAs?

I mean, and education is a lot like a car because you need to change professors' oil regularly but aside from that.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

SporkOfTruth posted:

This ties into your comments about the messaging/tactics. Example: the strike was listed for 2 days at some campuses, one day for others, which makes no loving sense. Not a whole lot of effort was put into making people aware that one or two days of action won't kill their academic career, and that they were legally protected!
The biggest problem I saw was the absolute failure of the union to inform anyone why they were striking. To a lot of the students, who had already experienced multiple strikes earlier this year, the only messaging was a flier talking about unisex bathrooms and fighting deportation. These might be important issues, but when you're striking over unfair labor practices and the failure of contract negotiations you can't get tied up in the identity politics stuff. A lot of students who might be convinced to support the union's economic issues aren't getting the economic message at all.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I feel like today's unions are pretty self-absorbed and terminally limited in scope and vision, and cannot even attempt coherency because they might accidentally make a capitalist critique, which is of course unthinkable. A new inclusive and trans-sector union would probably do America well, if joining the established international ones gives rubes the heebie-jeebies.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

How did the UAW end up organizing TAs?

I mean, and education is a lot like a car because you need to change professors' oil regularly but aside from that.

UAW wanted to expand into a "market" of previously unrepresented labor to augment their membership base (auto and aerospace workers), plus they brought lots of money and organizing power. More details are in the history of the UC system local here, and the Wikipedia page about grad student unionization is surprisingly well done.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

agarjogger posted:

Maybe for engineers but the S, T and M portions of STEM are already lagging behind. You can find specialties in each that will pay well but that could be said of any major.

A house before thirty? Not anyone who gets a Ph.D.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

A house before thirty? Not anyone who gets a Ph.D.

I don't know anyone under thirty who bought in California in general.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Dusseldorf posted:

I don't know anyone under thirty who bought in California in general.

Oh my god your loving state and it's loving real estate market. I've made it painfully obvious that I'm an outsider. Though damned if your state's moguls, developers, and speculators haven't thoroughly colonized Colorado.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I fall into the T in STEM. I make almost 55K and will have no hope of owning a house before thirty. To be fair I will be thirty in a year, and only started making that kind of money in the last year. I have no savings and most of my income goes to my student loans, rent, and hospital bills.

What is hosed up is that if I could get a mortgage it would cost me less per moth than renting. Right now a small two bedroom house (800 square feet) is running 2500 a month or more. The same house would cost me no more than 1800 a month if it was a mortgage payment. I know property taxes would be added to that, but it is still less. If I had 20k in savings I would buy something, but it will take me 5-10 years of savings and no disasters to get enough of a nest egg to purchase something.

the prospect of moving isn't very promising either as I would take a huge pay cut moving to another state. So I'll just have to keep renting and hope for the best.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Will this state become ungovernable again if the Democrats lose their supermajority?

Also, for comedy value, a few weeks ago at UCI the YAL had a booth saying "For real change, you need R:evil:olution!" and there was a booth selling shirts for the Donnelly for Governor campaign saying "got liberty?" :laffo:

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 1, 2014

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Will this state become ungovernable again if the Democrats lose their supermajority?

Yes. They potentially already lost it as well. gently caress you Leeland Yee!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm actually fine not owning, I prefer renting. It's much easier and fits better with my mobile lifestyle. Though my fiancee and I are entertaining the idea of buying a condo. I'm gonna be 32 soon and I'll take that. However, I'm incredibly lucky and through the superpower of being a white male I've managed to spectacularly fail upwards. It's pretty awesome to be me but looking at my friends and other people I know, my experience is very much the outlier.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Yes. They potentially already lost it as well. gently caress you Leeland Yee!

:shepicide:

Sucks being in a district that's unlikely to flip from GOP to Dem in the first place (Irvine area).

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Shbobdb posted:

I'm actually fine not owning, I prefer renting. It's much easier and fits better with my mobile lifestyle. Though my fiancee and I are entertaining the idea of buying a condo. I'm gonna be 32 soon and I'll take that. However, I'm incredibly lucky and through the superpower of being a white male I've managed to spectacularly fail upwards. It's pretty awesome to be me but looking at my friends and other people I know, my experience is very much the outlier.

I feel the same way (except for failing upward). I do IT managed services for small businesses, and have had to work pretty hard to get where I am. I know being a white middle class born male doesn't hurt though. My wife gets pretty depressed that we won't be able to own a house for a newborn daughter to grow up in, but I see it more of a sign of the times than a personal failing. My peers, who all have degrees in STEM fields are generally much worse off than I am, and have no hope of starting a family or living the "american dream" anytime in the next 5-10 years. I don't like bitching about my situation when I am in so much better shape than others, but it just feels like I should be further than I am.

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!
I'm fascinated by the escalating microcosm of American inequality transforming San Francisco.

In just a few years it's gone from one of the most progressive cities in the United States, to this kind of oil and vinegar mix of liberal bohemia and creepy entitled racist libertarian brogrammers who cannot believe the uppity poors protesting the rising eviction and rent rates. If you've ever used the app Secret, you'll see quite a few revolting anonymous posts from wealthy transplants relishing with glee their efforts to "gentrify" the city and drive out the "lazy" underclass not blessed with their charms.

The city has already changed so much, and the most disturbing aspect of the change is that the massive tech wealth boom is leading towards a very dark Wall Street 2.0 culture emerging in the Bay Area. I would love to see it stopped before it's too late.

The Guardian has a nice piece on the subject: "Is San Francisco Losing Its Soul?"

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Dusseldorf posted:

I don't know anyone under fifty who bought in California in general.

More accurate.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Of course it will. Republican might as well be a code word for bomb throwing anarchist mob for all the use they are in actually governing.

Why does the OP suggest that California has any liberalness to flaunt? We're just Florida with less humidity (e: and some very pretty mountains and forests) and our lovely conservatives have Ds because our Rs are complete lunatics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

UberJew posted:

More accurate.

I know plenty of people who've bought in their 30's. The big difference are which people bought a small place near their work and which people bought something in the burbs and now spend two hours a day in a car.