Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

The new LA Mayor, Garcetti, is doing a decent job not being a total waste of space.

He's pretty tepid, but can anyone picture him for a Governorship?

Being more useful that Tony Villar isn't much of an accomplishment. Garcetti has done a good job of letting developers go hog wild, but he hasn't been on the job long enough yet to judge much of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Can we talk about how horrible the new primary system is? Open primaries with the top two candidates going on to the general destroys what little relevance third parties have. At least we have the orly taitz screed in the voter guide for entertainment purposes.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Can we talk about how horrible the new primary system is? Open primaries with the top two candidates going on to the general destroys what little relevance third parties have. At least we have the orly taitz screed in the voter guide for entertainment purposes.

The new primary system is definitely frustrating. I imagine it could work out, under very certain circumstances, but that it just isn't very realistic. I suppose we will see how it goes

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I'd rather be rid of Ro Khanna in the first round, but I suppose it will feel good to vote against him twice.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

I just filled out my absentee ballot and found myself getting indignant at the lack of an "against all" option.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jungle primaries are awesome because it means general elections are more likely to be some sort of contest instead of the primary deciding half the districts.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Like, can you back this statement up?
I don't remember anything about homeless shelters in particular, but under Newsom the city outlawed sleeping overnight in Golden Gate Park and offered to amend the situation by buying a one-way Greyhound ticket out of town for homeless people, should they jump through the administrative hoops to get it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Voting by ballot for everyone is pretty amazing coming from state that only had the absentee option for special cases.

Also it has a list of instructions such as careful folding to make sure you are smart enough to vote.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
One of the benefits of the system is that I can vote for a third party candidate in the primaries without feeling like I'm wasting my vote in the general. If by some miracle the third party candidate beats either the GOP or Dem one, it's a realistic two-way race in November.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'd rather be rid of Ro Khanna in the first round, but I suppose it will feel good to vote against him twice.
Can someone explain to me what is so lovely about Khanna? I wasn't planning to vote for the guy but I'm having trouble finding information about him that doesn't come from a Honda campaign ad.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

AYC posted:

One of the benefits of the system is that I can vote for a third party candidate in the primaries without feeling like I'm wasting my vote in the general. If by some miracle the third party candidate beats either the GOP or Dem one, it's a realistic two-way race in November.

Yeah this system actually helps third parties because previously "safe" red/blue districts can be challenged by 3rd parties from their left/right rather than the general being uncontested. No longer is the Democratic primary the final election in SF.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah this system actually helps third parties because previously "safe" red/blue districts can be challenged by 3rd parties from their left/right rather than the general being uncontested. No longer is the Democratic primary the final election in SF.

I'd love it if an actual third party got onto the general this way. Has that happened yet?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

AYC posted:

I'd love it if an actual third party got onto the general this way. Has that happened yet?

Since 2012 was the first year these primaries applied to Federal elections, we don't have much of a sample but 5 independent candidates did make it to the general for congressional seats in 2013.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Can someone explain to me what is so lovely about Khanna? I wasn't planning to vote for the guy but I'm having trouble finding information about him that doesn't come from a Honda campaign ad.

Khanna is backed by many of the big tech CEOs and is basically the latest in a set of milquetoast corporate Republicans Democrats just out of the Obama administration now seeking office in California. He also may have been involved in some dirty politics by bringing in Republican candidates to help dilute their votes to ensure that he make it to the General (one such candidate was thrown out).

Unsurprisingly the San Jose Mercury-News (which I understand to be rather conservative) recently endorsed him to replace Honda (who likely has my vote in part for voting for the Amash amendment).

While I agree we need younger representatives, I'm not inclined to support a pro-corporate representative who denounces the incumbent's support of the Progressive Caucus budget on the basis of "huge tax increases" and clearly is hoping to vote for a Grand Bargain in the name of "consensus and compromise."

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 14, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Oh, dear, now conservative Texan shitlords are smugging it up about Sriracha and the CEO calling California "communist and anti-business"...

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I heard on the news that California was on fire. Surely this is God's wrath against the sodomites.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

I heard on the news that California was on fire. Surely this is God's wrath against the sodomites.

The fires are in northern San Diego county, which is suburban Republican territory. One of Mitt Romney's sons lives near the origin of the first fire on Tuesday, across the valley from where I live.

So God is angry at Darrell Issa (my esteemed representative) or some poo poo. Or he's racist against Asians, there's a lot of us living here too.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Oh, dear, now conservative Texan shitlords are smugging it up about Sriracha and the CEO calling California "communist and anti-business"...

You should have seen them when Toyota recently decided to move their sales headquarters from Torrance to Plano.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Bizarro Watt posted:

You should have seen them when Toyota recently decided to move their sales headquarters from Torrance to Plano.

Yeah, that was still probably worse (though the jury's still out on how crazy Sriracha's CEO can get).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Moving your operation to the middle of nowhere in Texas or Arizona is a pretty good way to filter out any employees willing (and able) to change jobs to stay in CA. Whether these employees likely represent the good part or the bad part of ones workforce is left as an exercise to the reader.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yeah, I liked how the city lawyer was quoted as saying "Its hard to tell people that because you don't want to appear anti-business that they or their children with asthma just have to stay in their homes and not go outside."

Bizarro Watt posted:

My favorite part of this was how the tax breaks Texas gave Toyota had no impact on the move too.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

withak posted:

Moving your operation to the middle of nowhere in Texas or Arizona is a pretty good way to filter out any employees willing (and able) to change jobs to stay in CA. Whether these employees likely represent the good part or the bad part of ones workforce is left as an exercise to the reader.

When my company did this all the executives moved to CA :v:

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Where did all the water go.

What the hell.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
If the slate article I read is to be believed, 10% of it went to growing almonds in the desert. 80% turns into the food our great nation consumes. And when it's all gone, let the bodies hit the floor.

fuccboi fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 15, 2014

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Actually, a lot of it goes to things like fracking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/15/us/californias-thirst-shapes-debate-over-fracking.html?hpw&rref=science

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

If the slate article I read is to be believed, 10% of it went to growing almonds in the desert. 80% turns into the food our great nation consumes. And when it's all gone, let the bodies hit the floor.

California grows 70%+ of the worlds almonds and of course you grow them in a desert!

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Well poo poo.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

As much as a whole lot of Cadillac Desert is no longer relevant it's amazing how little has changed with water management.

Edit: With regard to the map is the fact that the Mojave isn't listed as a super drought basically because it's as dry as usual there?

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Have an article and a source:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2679

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CA

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If by a lot you mean 1 well is less than 1 single family home....

The article you posted posted:

an average of 127,127 gallons of water was used to frack a single oil well in California last year, below the 146,000 gallons consumed by a family of four throughout the year

Edit2:

wikipedia posted:

2013 California's Department of Conservation director Mark Nechodom estimated the state "might see around 650 hydraulic fracturing jobs a year"

So fracing as a whole in California uses less water than ~4,000 people. Fracing has water resource issues, but its not quantity in California.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 16, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

If by a lot you mean 1 well is less than 1 single family home....

Edit2:

So fracing as a whole in California uses less water than ~4,000 people. Fracing has water resource issues, but its not quantity in California.

biggest waste of water is agriculture, residential makes up 15% of the total use even with east coast green lawn stupidity

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^
Ag wastes a whole lot of water through inefficient practices, but it is hard to call a massive sector of our economy and the only thing stopping the right wingers in the valley from starting a war a "waste."

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Expect he is on record saying recently, he's not moving the factory to Texas.
He may open a second factory in texas if demand is there, and they can grow the peppers in Texas (apparently the peppers used basically can only grow in ventura county and they need to be fresh). He doesn't want to move to Texas because no sane person wants to, especially when they are rich already.

The whole thing is hilarious and been over blown. He moved his factory near some houses and didn't factor in the possibility that processing tons and tons of peppers might cause a problem.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Its important to make distinctions between food types. 10% went to almonds, but we are essentially the worlds supplier of almonds and I think you get a good return on the investment. Compare that to, say, raising cows, which consume water like crazy (it takes an insane number o gallons to raise a cow) and are probably not a good water -> food ratio.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
One of the big issues with water for agriculture is the price of delivering water has no bearing on any sort of market pricing of what water should cost and is more or less gifted to land based on archaic rules and grandfathering.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

An engineer friend of mine is chomping at the bit to move to Texas someday. He's never been there, but he feels he'll save a shitload of money and be able to own a fuckton of land (which he'll proceed to do nothing with since all he does is play video games all day) if he moves there.

I have it on somewhat good authority that the money-saving aspect of it is a bit misleading since Texas has a rather high sales tax, hence why so many techies demand huge raises before they agree to move (on top of places like Houston being suckfests in general). Is that basically accurate?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ProperGanderPusher posted:

An engineer friend of mine is chomping at the bit to move to Texas someday. He's never been there, but he feels he'll save a shitload of money and be able to own a fuckton of land (which he'll proceed to do nothing with since all he does is play video games all day) if he moves there.

I have it on somewhat good authority that the money-saving aspect of it is a bit misleading since Texas has a rather high sales tax, hence why so many techies demand huge raises before they agree to move (on top of places like Houston being suckfests in general). Is that basically accurate?

California's sales tax is 7.5% so it's less than a 1% increase (8.25%), plus there's no income tax either.

I can also guarantee that coming from the Bay Area you will have cheaper cost of living no matter where you go (of course no where is really as good as the Bay Area but still).

e: the 8.25% rate is also the maximum allowed rate in Texas; in California you can add another 1.5% on top of the baseline tax too.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

ProperGanderPusher posted:

As someone who moved from Ventura to Houston, I can tell you that your somewhat good authority is not such a good authority. It is vastly cheaper to live in Texas.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

California's sales tax is 7.5% so it's less than a 1% increase (8.25%), plus there's no income tax either.

I can also guarantee that coming from the Bay Area you will have cheaper cost of living no matter where you go (of course no where is really as good as the Bay Area but still).

e: the 8.25% rate is also the maximum allowed rate in Texas; in California you can add another 1.5% on top of the baseline tax too.

most places are 9.5% sales tax total

The biggest delta for why Texas is cheaper is due to the better housing prices and Texas also has no income tax.

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 16, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You have to account for the presence of all those Texans also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Texas has a very high property tax rate (~1.88% in a lot of cities) that helps make up for the lack of an income tax.