Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Texas is terrible because it is full of Texans.

This is the California thread, we can slag off Texas with impunity here right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I always thought people made a lot more in Texas because employers realized they needed to pay people twice as much to get employes of reasonable quality to move to Texas.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

This is the California thread, we can slag off Texas with impunity here right?

If there's one thing San Franciscans enjoy more than calling LA a complete shithole full of terrible people, it's calling Texas a complete shithole full of terrible people.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I have it on somewhat good authority that the money-saving aspect of it is a bit misleading since Texas has a rather high sales tax, hence why so many techies demand huge raises before they agree to move (on top of places like Houston being suckfests in general). Is that basically accurate?

Nah, Texas is definitely cheaper to live in compared to California. It's one of the aspects that'll help me deal with living there for the next five years.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

If there's one thing San Franciscans enjoy more than calling LA a complete shithole full of terrible people, it's calling Texas a complete shithole full of terrible people.

It's one of the few things we can all agree on.

Also, San Francisco has way more terrible people as a percent of the population and per square mile than LA does.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

redscare posted:

Also, San Francisco has way more terrible people as a percent of the population and per square mile than LA does.

San Francisco has way more terrible people per person too.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

redscare posted:

As much as I prefer SF, this is true. Say what you want about South Park, they basically nailed how smug and insufferable the natives around here can be. Meanwhile, I've never heard an LA native talk poo poo about SF beyond "your street layout is retarded" and "it's too cold in July".

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

There was some listicle article I read recently about how sf was terrible. The one thing that really struck me was "everyone worth a drat has already moved to oakland." Maybe that struck me because I've followed countless others in moving out of the city to start a family in the suburbs. I love sf and I can't stand it at the same time. It's great if you're post college and rich or of you're tied into the various activism groups, but other than that... I'm straight, I'm over street festivals with naked people I don't particularly want to see naked. Halloween in the Castro has been utterly neutered from the awesomeness it used to be..

I'm over it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That was Vice

http://vice.com/read/reasons-why-san-francisco-is-the-worst-place-ever

To be fair they have one for mostly every major city

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'll take San Francisco's brand of smug and insufferable yuppies over Texas's brand of poo poo-kicking, wannabe-cowboy, hyper-Nationalist, bible-thumping racist conservatism every day of the week. I won't deny San Francisco has a lot of terrible people, but at least our terrible people aren't joyfully electing governors that execute more prisoners annually than the rest of the country combined - including the mentally disabled - and are proud of that fact.

And yes I know it's different in Austin. I'm tired of hearing how Austin is the exception that makes Texas OK.

I don't like LA much but I'd rather spend a lifetime in LA than a year in Texas.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I'll take San Francisco's brand of smug and insufferable yuppies over Texas's brand of poo poo-kicking, wannabe-cowboy, hyper-Nationalist, bible-thumping racist conservatism every day of the week. I won't deny San Francisco has a lot of terrible people, but at least our terrible people aren't joyfully electing governors that execute more prisoners annually than the rest of the country combined - including the mentally disabled - and are proud of that fact.

And yes I know it's different in Austin. I'm tired of hearing how Austin is the exception that makes Texas OK.

I don't like LA much but I'd rather spend a lifetime in LA than a year in Texas.

To be fair, you can find those exact same "Texas" sentiments in a lot of rural California. There are more Tea Partiers in California than Texas after all (hint: California is a bigger state).

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Many Texans aren't the bible-thumping cowboy racists, that's just the countryside. If you look at pretty much any political map of Texas, you can see where the divides lie. The cities all vote Democratic, everywhere else is Republican.

There are other issues in the Texas cities, but too many rednecks generally isn't one of them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Yeah the Dallas suburbs are basically full of the Orange County types of wealthy conservative assholes. Those are the guys you normally have to worry about in Texas politics.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
For what it's worth, I remember seeing an argument on Facebook where some rear end in a top hat from Plano going to Dartmouth was smugging it up and saying "wow you guys in California are so #overtaxed" and then when someone said "it's worth it though" he was like "You're right, I forgot how wisely the CA government spends its money :smuggo:"

He promptly shut the gently caress up when someone brought up that California now has a budget surplus.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Ron Jeremy posted:

There was some listicle article I read recently about how sf was terrible. The one thing that really struck me was "everyone worth a drat has already moved to oakland." Maybe that struck me because I've followed countless others in moving out of the city to start a family in the suburbs. I love sf and I can't stand it at the same time. It's great if you're post college and rich or of you're tied into the various activism groups, but other than that... I'm straight, I'm over street festivals with naked people I don't particularly want to see naked. Halloween in the Castro has been utterly neutered from the awesomeness it used to be..

I'm over it.

It's funny how the same ridiculous attitude that the Bay Area has about LA is now being adopted by East and South Bayers about SF. So much hate on one side while the other side is just like, "yeah, that area is cool". The problem is that to all of these spurned-lover emigrants, all SF is is street festivals and letting your freak flag fly, but to lots of people SF is also about incredible natural geography, historic architecture, fantastic museums, and world-class parks. Sorry that those of us who remain aren't keeping it weird enough for you and Vice.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Papercut posted:

It's funny how the same ridiculous attitude that the Bay Area has about LA is now being adopted by East and South Bayers about SF. So much hate on one side while the other side is just like, "yeah, that area is cool". The problem is that to all of these spurned-lover emigrants, all SF is is street festivals and letting your freak flag fly, but to lots of people SF is also about incredible natural geography, historic architecture, fantastic museums, and world-class parks. Sorry that those of us who remain aren't keeping it weird enough for you and Vice.

To be fair, I hear SF people use "Bridge and Tunnel" a lot these days and there's generally an attitude that only the poors live in the East Bay and there's a general ignorance of the fact the East Bay has incredible natural geography, historic architecture and some silly museums too.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The funny thing is, like 80% of SF's population is made up of transplants from everywhere else in the country/world, including Los Angeles and Texas. Native Californians only make up 30% of SF's population, and SF natives of course are even smaller in number. It makes me feel like some kind of strange and exotic beast, like I should start charging people $10 to look at me, and an extra $10 to poke me with a stick or throw peanuts at me.

But drat, I forgot: because I'm not making 6 figures, half of the wealthy transplants in this city have apparently decided that i'm an undesirable who doesn't "deserve" to live in my own home, unlike their superior, noble, money-having selves. Free market at work! Check mate, poors :smug:

As much as I prefer SF, this is true. Say what you want about South Park, they basically nailed how smug and insufferable the natives around here can be. Meanwhile, I've never heard an LA native talk poo poo about SF beyond "your street layout is retarded" and "it's too cold in July".

I'd say that the majority of people I grew up with in SF never had anything against LA, aside from the Giants/Dodgers rivalry (let's say it was 60/40 for people with no problem with LA vs. people irrationally hating LA). It seems that the SF/LA rivalry is often embellished by transplants who are trying to fit in, just like the idea that you're not allowed to say "Frisco" (which is a name heavily used by members of the city's lower classes, but widely despised among the upper classes and transplants). The majority of ultra smug and insufferable SF residents seem to be transplants from elsewhere, who can't stop informing people about how awesome and superior their new home is, like they have to justify to themselves why they paid out the rear end to move here. Though for the record, upper class native San Franciscans are often just as stupid/annoying/smug about all that poo poo too. In fact they're the ones most responsible for propagating dumb smug poo poo about SF that transplants buy into, because it's that smug upper class part of the population that controls the city government and most of the local media, and ultimately controls the narrative that gets put out about SF, that the rest of the nation sees.

Also, that Vice article makes some decent points, but a lot of it's exaggerated bullshit from a transplant hipster's point of view.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 16, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah don't take me too seriously, the only part of Texas I've visited was Dallas/Ft. Worth. It's fun to rag on Texas though because they make it so easy.

Papercut posted:

Trabisnikof posted:

To be fair, I hear SF people use "Bridge and Tunnel" a lot these days and there's generally an attitude that only the poors live in the East Bay and there's a general ignorance of the fact the East Bay has incredible natural geography, historic architecture and some silly museums too.

I agree strongly with this. The "gentrification" thing is important and a big deal, because it's turning ethnic communities (especially the Mission) into "revitalized" modern wealthy person places that may be cleaner, but are much less interesting to hang around in. But overall San Francisco's charms remain healthy and intact, at least from the perspective of a native. Golden Gate Park, the Asian Art Museum, Ocean Beach, West Portal, 9th and Irving/Judah, the Academy of Sciences, the zoo, Chinatown, Japantown, inner Richmond/Geary, the Fillmore, the Castro... most of the places I used to hang around as a kid or when I was in my 20s in college are still there and doing OK. The Bay Area has a lot of amazing attractions that make it a really great place to live, even after accounting for the traffic, high cost of living, and the socioeconomic forces that are changing things over time.

And yes, the East Bay is very nice too. It's not all Fruitvale. I enjoy living in Concord. It's not the same as San Francisco but there are distinct advantages.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Not only does that frustratingly common mindset show a lack of understanding of the east bay, which is very economically diverse, it also shows the same misunderstanding for SF, which is also pretty economically diverse. So many people heave this idea that SF is solely populated by the wealthy, yet this is how the city's income groups break down (as of 2011):

households making less than $10,000: 21,561 - 6.4%
$10,000 to $14,999: 20,258 - 6.0%
$15,000 to $24,999: 28,152 - 8.3%
$25,000 to $34,999: 23,862 - 7.1%
$35,000 to $49,999: 31,665 - 9.4%
$50,000 to $74,999: 47,260 - 14.0%
$75,000 to $99,999: 37,965 - 11.2%
$100,000 to $149,999: 55,237 - 16.3%
$150,000 to $199,999: 29,848 - 8.8%
$200,000 or more: 42,558 - 12.6%

people living in poverty: 99,977 - 12.3% (don't forget this is the federal poverty line, if adjusted for cost of living, the number would be higher)

As you can see, SF still has a poo poo ton of poor people and middle class people, despite gentrification. poo poo, SF has more people living under the federal poverty line than Oakland does (Oakland has the higher rate, but most people would probably not guess SF has more in total). But people tend to only pay attention to stuff that the media has sensationalized, and then that stuff gets completely exaggerated:

"the city is all yuppies!"
"everyone commutes to silicon valley!"
"there are no poor or middle class people anymore!"

etc, etc.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 16, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup if you exclusively hang out in SOMA, the Marina, Potrero Hill, and North Beach, you're gonna get a really different idea of what the City is like, compared to someone who spends most of their time in Ingleside, Bayview/Hunter's Point, Excelsior, Crocker-Amazon, and Visitacion Valley.

e. From The Racial Dot Map:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 16, 2014

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Rah! posted:

Not only does that frustratingly common mindset show a lack of understanding of the east bay, which is very economically diverse, it also shows the same misunderstanding for SF, which is also pretty economically diverse. So many people heave this idea that SF is solely populated by the wealthy, yet this is how the city's income groups break down (as of 2011):

households making less than $10,000: 21,561 - 6.4%
$10,000 to $14,999: 20,258 - 6.0%
$15,000 to $24,999: 28,152 - 8.3%
$25,000 to $34,999: 23,862 - 7.1%
$35,000 to $49,999: 31,665 - 9.4%
$50,000 to $74,999: 47,260 - 14.0%
$75,000 to $99,999: 37,965 - 11.2%
$100,000 to $149,999: 55,237 - 16.3%
$150,000 to $199,999: 29,848 - 8.8%
$200,000 or more: 42,558 - 12.6%

people living in poverty: 99,977 - 12.3% (don't forget this is the federal poverty line, if adjusted for cost of living, the number would be higher)

As you can see, SF still has a poo poo ton of poor people and middle class people, despite gentrification. poo poo, SF has more people living under the federal poverty line than Oakland does (Oakland has the higher rate, but most people would probably not guess SF has more in total). But people tend to only pay attention to stuff that the media has sensationalized, and then that stuff gets completely exaggerated:

"the city is all yuppies!"
"everyone commutes to silicon valley!"
"there are no poor or middle class people anymore!"

etc, etc.

A ton of those lower and middle class people are only still able to stick around due to rent control. Good luck if you're middle or working class and trying to move in at the moment. I recall a news article stating that it's now literally impossible to afford a house on a public school teacher's salary right now anywhere in the city limits.

And someone else made a good point about anti-East Bay snobbery. My mother insists that all of Oakland is a dangerous hellhole to this day and freaks out when I talk about moving there.

ProperGanderPusher fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 16, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

A ton of those lower and middle class people are only still able to stick around due to rent control. Good luck if you're middle or working class and trying to move in at the moment. I recall a news article stating that it's now literally impossible to afford a house on a public school teacher's salary right now anywhere in the city limits.

And someone else made a good point about anti-East Coast snobbery. My mother insists that all of Oakland is a dangerous hellhole to this day and freaks out when I talk about moving there.

To be fair, "ghetto jokes" about Oakland and Richmond aren't exactly uncommon here in (largely wealthy) Fremont either.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 16, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The bay area is terrible and everyone living in the bay area is terrible.

Now let me tell you about the wondrous virtues of Hemet, CA.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

There's also something special about SF stealing a NYC term in an attempt to be superior to Oakland/Berkeley/et al.

tequilaunicorn
Feb 13, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

There's also something special about SF stealing a NYC term in an attempt to be superior to Oakland/Berkeley/et al.

It's weird, I've heard "bridge and tunnel" being used in SF for the last 20 years, at least in the service industry. With a complete awareness that it was a tongue in cheek reference to NYC's origins. I guess my SF experience is different all around, though, because most people I know do not hate LA. Whenever I hear someone mouthing off about LA, if I investigate I find they usually have a.) been in SF/the bay area for less than two years and b.) never been to LA.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

Halloween in the Castro has been utterly neutered from the awesomeness it used to be..

I'm over it.

To be fair, that wasn't for no reason. It was because of multiple years in a row of drunken fights, stabbings, and a mass shooting (10 injured) during the event. Not that punishing the entire city for the actions of a few is a great idea, but killing the event didn't come out of left field.

Trabisnikof posted:

"bridge and tunnel crowd"

Yet another term that's largely used by transplants and upper class SF residents, who have little to no experience with SF's poor/rougher side, who think all criminals live in the scary apocalyptic wasteland of the east bay (because that's where all the poors supposedly are, remember!).

Funnily enough, back when that aforementioned Castro Halloween shooting occurred, half the people commenting on news sites and in the thread about it here on SA, were blaming the "bridge and tunnelers", and the "Oakland thugs" or whatever. Yet who did the culprits end up being? Two rival SF gangs from Sunnydale and Lakeview (also known as Oceanview/Ingleside) who have been killing each other for decades.

And someone else made a good point about anti-East Coast snobbery. My mother insists that all of Oakland is a dangerous hellhole to this day and freaks out when I talk about moving there.

Yeah and that's definitely a problem. At least half of all housing units in SF (170,000-200,000 of them) have rent control, and it's the main thing keeping the non-wealthy in the city at this point.

tequilaunicorn posted:

I guess my SF experience is different all around, though, because most people I know do not hate LA. Whenever I hear someone mouthing off about LA, if I investigate I find they usually have a.) been in SF/the bay area for less than two years and b.) never been to LA.

That's been my experience too, more or less.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

tequilaunicorn posted:

It's weird, I've heard "bridge and tunnel" being used in SF for the last 20 years, at least in the service industry. With a complete awareness that it was a tongue in cheek reference to NYC's origins. I guess my SF experience is different all around, though, because most people I know do not hate LA. Whenever I hear someone mouthing off about LA, if I investigate I find they usually have a.) been in SF/the bay area for less than two years and b.) never been to LA.

My stepdad was born and raised in San Mateo, and I've never met anyone who hated LA so much in my life. He takes sports way too seriously though, so that might explain it. My dad badmouths LA all the time too, but upon further inspection he really hates stereotypical Orange County suburbanite Republicans more than LA itself. Same goes with a bunch of other people I know.

And to be fair, LA is not without its flaws. It's way too spread out for one (I'm a big baby and hate driving, so this a big sticking point), and the traffic is always, *always* lovely.

On the other hand, I was shocked how good the Metro was when I last visited, plus the area has some completely loving awesome museums that put those in SF to shame (Getty Museum and Villa, Huntington, Museum of Death, etc.). The only museum that I really like here is the Legion.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
And even the Legion of Honor has a horrible art collection. It only has a nice view going for it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dusseldorf posted:

And even the Legion of Honor has a horrible art collection. It only has a nice view going for it.
Art is obviously subject to one's taste but even if you're not a big fan of the specific stuff at the Legion (and you also don't care for every temporary exhibit they host) I think it's a big stretch to call its collection "horrible."

It generally gets really good reviews on the various review sites.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

As someone considering moving from Long Beach, CA to Austin, I'm very much looking forward to it. I've visited the latter multiple times, and as far as I can tell, it has better beer, prettier women who are way less fake, friendlier and more down-to-earth people, and a way more interesting culture. Not to mention actual seasons.

gently caress SoCal, basically.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

As someone considering moving from Long Beach, CA to Austin, I'm very much looking forward to it. I've visited the latter multiple times, and as far as I can tell, it has better beer, prettier women who are way less fake, friendlier and more down-to-earth people, and a way more interesting culture. Not to mention actual seasons.

Be warned that while Texas (Austin especially) has "actual seasons" you will often be able to see all of them within the same day week.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Cool finding a place to move with worse traffic than LA.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Congrats on moving to a massively segregated city too

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

Congrats on moving to a massively segregated city too

And SoCal isn't segregated? Thanks for the laugh.

edit: which neighborhood has the hottest girls? I was thinking south congress.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 17, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

And SoCal isn't segregated? Thanks for the laugh.

edit: which neighborhood has the hottest girls? I was thinking south congress.

But see we have asians so it makes it not segregated!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
*Sitting in OC, the Texas of CA*

"Hmph. This just isnt Texas enough."

*Moves to actual Texas*

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FRINGE posted:

*Sitting in OC, the Texas of CA*

"Hmph. This just isnt Texas enough."

*Moves to actual Texas*

That's funny, I thought everyone was saying Austin is not like the rest of the state!

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

My mother insists that all of Oakland is a dangerous hellhole to this day and freaks out when I talk about moving there.

As an Oakland resident, any time someone says "Oh but isn't it dangerous?" I just say yes because we don't want those people anyway.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah everyone stay the gently caress out of Oakland. It's awful here; you would hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

That's funny, I thought everyone was saying Austin is not like the rest of the state!

Have you been to Austin? It's not actually that cool, unless you like your hipsters with a Texas accent.