Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

redscare posted:

Have you been to Austin? It's not actually that cool, unless you like your hipsters with a Texas accent.

Yeah, I've visited about twelve times over the past four years, and my sister actually lives there. Like I said, it's far superior to SoCal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I think we can all agree on two things:

1) Making sweeping generalizations about million+ person metropolitan regions is silly. SF, East/South Bay, LA, Austin, etc all have cool people and places, and awful people and places.

2) Watching tourists in July at the Embarcadero wearing short sleeves and shorts is the gift that keeps on giving.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

FRINGE posted:

*Sitting in OC, the Texas of CA*

"Hmph. This just isnt Texas enough."

*Moves to actual Texas*

Incorrect. San Bernardino and Riverside are the Texas of California. For one, we have bros.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Unrelated to city chat, the two main Republican assclowns (Kashkari and Donnelly) had a so-called debate on the John and Ken show of all places. It devolved into a horrible shouting match, predictably, making them both somehow look worse. The CA GOP is pathetic.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
When you have one candidate trying to make a saaaaaaad pitch to millenials with a "got liberty?" slogan and another making a lumberjack commercial where he cuts logs representing taxes and "budget waste" and welfare and whatnot, it's hard for them to look even worse than they already do.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Actually from what I've seen and what I've been told if you're a Californian it's a pretty good idea to move to Texas, their general standards for "human being" are so much lower that as long as you're not completely repulsive, your dating/social experiences are probably going to be much easier. In Texas you'll see all sorts of misshapen barf bags holding hands with decent looking folks, something I hardly ever see in Los Angeles. I guess something about the mixture of intensified materialism, celebrity culture and fashion/modeling/etc here tends to fuel, uh, attractiveness stratification or whatever. People are also much more likely to be spontaneously friendly in (some parts of) the south it seems, as long as you don't poison the well by being the wrong kind of minority.
Just have a good escape plan that gets you out after you've wifed up the doe-eyed belle and before the air becomes a pure mixture of crude oil volatiles and tex-mex farts.

redscare posted:

Unrelated to city chat, the two main Republican assclowns (Kashkari and Donnelly) had a so-called debate on the John and Ken show of all places. It devolved into a horrible shouting match, predictably, making them both somehow look worse. The CA GOP is pathetic.

I tune in to the Cranky Dads sometimes and caught part of this, them going back and forth about Sharia Law until they had to be told to shut up about it was a real delight.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats
Hope everyone here's staying safe, what with the state turning into satan's fiery shithole. :ohdear:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

That Irish Guy posted:

Hope everyone here's staying safe, what with the state turning into satan's fiery shithole. :ohdear:
Seriously.

Agriculture and our rivers are kinda hosed this Summer - snowpack is at 3-10% of normal for this time of year
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/sweq.action

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Moon Potato posted:

Seriously.

Agriculture and our rivers are kinda hosed this Summer - snowpack is at 3-10% of normal for this time of year
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/sweq.action

I wonder when rationing will start. This summer is going to suck...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FRINGE posted:

*Sitting in OC, the Texas of CA*

"Hmph. This just isnt Texas enough."

*Moves to actual Texas*

Long Beach isn't Orange County, it's LA County

Also when most people think of Orange County they think of Newport Beach and Laguna an other beach cities when anything north of Santa Ana is quite different.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

And Long Beach is alright, lots of beer, lots of bikes, metro to get you there.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

As someone considering moving from Long Beach, CA to Austin, I'm very much looking forward to it. I've visited the latter multiple times, and as far as I can tell, it has better beer, prettier women who are way less fake, friendlier and more down-to-earth people, and a way more interesting culture. Not to mention actual seasons.

gently caress SoCal, basically.

As someone about to make the opposite move (from Austin to SoCal, but San Diego specifically), gently caress Austin. I will admit they have a good beer scene, a good tech job market, and good BBQ. That's it. Can't speak to the dating scene as I was married before I moved here, but the friendliness is mostly fake. Maybe down on South Congress there's a lot of happy hipsters, but everywhere north of that is full of SoCal expats or Texas lifers who's first question is "which college did you attend" or "which church do you attend". If they don't like your answer then they'll continue to be nice to your face but never more than that. Also, the only seasons in Austin are winter and summer; nice spring/fall weather lasts about a month if you're lucky. The rest of the time be prepared for sweltering heat, biting wind, or both!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Someone rename this "Californians can't stop talking about Texas" thread. Because clearly its what everyone wants to do.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
As a recent transplant to Oakland, who are the most D&D candidates to vote for in the primary? I know it is a way out but I want to start vandalizing campaign offices sooner rather than later. It's more of a SoCal thing, but I'm thinking arson is in this season.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Dusseldorf posted:

And even the Legion of Honor has a horrible art collection. It only has a nice view going for it.

It isn't the most expansive collection to be sure, but it has a fairly good late medieval through eighteenth century collection especially for a relatively small museum in the Unites States and they often bring in good temporary exhibits.

I'd rather go there than the Stanford art museum, which is a genuinely lackluster collection, any day of the week.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

As a recent transplant to Oakland, who are the most D&D candidates to vote for in the primary? I know it is a way out but I want to start vandalizing campaign offices sooner rather than later. It's more of a SoCal thing, but I'm thinking arson is in this season.

The most D&D candidates would probably be US green party members that have no chance of winning.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Someone rename this "Californians can't stop talking about Texas" thread. Because clearly its what everyone wants to do.

Texas is the state California gets compared to the most, and there are very good reasons for it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Texas is the state California gets compared to the most, and there are very good reasons for it.

They both are filled with people who think their state is the best?

I'm fine with discussing actual policy or political differences between the two states, however talking about "which town is coolest" is going to end with nothing but people arguing about who has the best subjective opinion. Obviously if one moved away from somewhere voluntarily, one may not like the place one left. Shocking.

Shbobdb posted:

Well, the only person that voted against the war in Afghanistan represents a large chunk of Oakland so she's pretty d&d.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This song should be in the OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMix60cXETU

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Shbobdb posted:

For mayor, that'd be Shake Anderson of the Oakland Greens.

Full disclosure: he and the greens adopted the community democracy project, to bring full, direct democracy to Oakland, as part of their platform. My girlfriend's a core organizer for CDP. This be their website: http://communitydemocracyproject.org/ (shameless plug)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mofabio posted:

Full disclosure: he and the greens adopted the community democracy project, to bring full, direct democracy to Oakland, as part of their platform. My girlfriend's a core organizer for CDP. This be their website: http://communitydemocracyproject.org/ (shameless plug)

Wow, now that's a bad website.

Regardless...so this system would create a whole new system of districts, a whole new city council aka "Congress of Directors" just for budgeting. Oh yeah, and the kicker only people who have the time/money to attend meetings gets to vote for the elected representatives that would theoretically control the budget.

Yup, if you don't have time to attend at least 1 of the only 10 community meeting a year, you don't even deserve to be notified of budget votes let alone vote in it. And people say this somehow would increase participation instead of just further concentrating power in those already able to wield it. Also there are exactly 0 restrictions on the day or time that these meetings will be held.

In what conceivable way is that convoluted system better just having the budget go up for a city-wide vote (that all voters can vote in)?

Edit: Holy poo poo, I just read through this proposal again and realize that in fact those committees and meetings are all meaningless because at the end of the day the budget vote (still limited to people who can attend meetings) will decide the % allocated to each department. So why create several new full-time staff positions and literally hundreds of new meetings and committees?

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 19, 2014

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Is there anyone who isn't a Green? I'd rather vote PSL than Green (and did, in the last Presidential election).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Shbobdb posted:

Is there anyone who isn't a Green? I'd rather vote PSL than Green (and did, in the last Presidential election).

I didn't see much when I got my vote-by-mail ballot, no. At least, nothing on the left, IIRC.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mofabio posted:

I'm sure the state really needs another direct democracy experiment.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Oh hey the UC grad student union is planning on doing a statewide strike during finals week, that's going to go over well.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Bizarro Watt posted:

Oh hey the UC grad student union is planning on doing a statewide strike during finals week, that's going to go over well.

They listened to my complaints, huzzah. Now it's time to get out there and educate people why we're doing this.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

I recently had the "pleasure" of driving through the Central Valley from Chico to Hemet and back. With the primaries coming up, I got to see a lot of political advertising and sloganeering and noticed a few similarities and differences between the North and South ends of the state. Rural politicians in Northern and Southern California all seem to like putting loving cowboy hats on their signs, as if to say to voters "I'm a white-bread redneck just like you who shares your (racist) values." In Southern California, water was definitely a much bigger issue than in the north. I saw several advertisements stating "Solve The Water Crisis!" implying that there was a political solution to getting more water for crops growing in the desert during an extreme drought. One sign did offer a solution: Tell Los Angeles and San Diego to cut their consumption! Clearly, that's going to make a big difference despite the fact that 85% of California's water already goes to agriculture. I'm flying next time.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Spoondick posted:

I recently had the "pleasure" of driving through the Central Valley from Chico to Hemet and back. With the primaries coming up, I got to see a lot of political advertising and sloganeering and noticed a few similarities and differences between the North and South ends of the state. Rural politicians in Northern and Southern California all seem to like putting loving cowboy hats on their signs, as if to say to voters "I'm a white-bread redneck just like you who shares your (racist) values." In Southern California, water was definitely a much bigger issue than in the north. I saw several advertisements stating "Solve The Water Crisis!" implying that there was a political solution to getting more water for crops growing in the desert during an extreme drought. One sign did offer a solution: Tell Los Angeles and San Diego to cut their consumption! Clearly, that's going to make a big difference despite the fact that 85% of California's water already goes to agriculture. I'm flying next time.

Last time I had the (mis)pleasure of driving up I-5, I saw signs shilling "Farmers protecting the valley" and lumping in LA and San Diego along with them for "solidarity" purposes.

I've already mentioned Kashkari's lumberjack ad, so I won't go into it again.

Trabisnikof posted:

My favorites are the ones that have been up forever, including the classic "CONGRESS CREATED DUSTBOWL".

FOOD GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS

Man holy crap, has it really already been four to five years since those went up?

Hell, I still recall the "JOBS JOBS JOBS VOTE FIORINA 2010" sign that was somewhere in Stanislaus County on I-5 in mid-2011.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 19, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

My favorites are the ones that have been up forever, including the classic "CONGRESS CREATED DUSTBOWL".

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Man holy crap, has it really already been four to five years since those went up?

Hell, I still recall the "JOBS JOBS JOBS VOTE FIORINA 2010" sign that was somewhere in Stanislaus County on I-5 in mid-2011.

Those ones have been up forever. I remember seeing the "FOOD GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS" on a trip through the central valley when I was a kid.

Apparently now flood irrigation in a desert is a good thing because it "recharges the aquifer" and isn't really inefficient (skip to 32:45)
http://www.kqed.org/a/forum/R201404220900

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
San Francisco can't get enough of income inequality.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Income-inequality-on-par-with-developing-nations-5486434.php

quote:

San Francisco likes to think of itself politically, socially and culturally as akin to European countries.

But when it comes to income equality - or lack thereof - we're far less Sweden and Denmark and far more Central America and sub-Saharan Africa.

In one measurement, we're about on par with Rwanda. Yes, Rwanda.

The city's Human Services Agency has released a new report filled with startling data about a rapidly changing San Francisco, where the rich are getting richer and more educated, the poor are falling further behind and the middle-class is skipping town altogether.

One way of measuring income inequality is called the Gini Coefficient, a century-old formula used by the World Bank, the CIA and other groups to measure national economies. If everybody in any given place shares wealth equally, the region scores a 0. If one person holds all the wealth, it scores a 1.

Using 2012 figures from the American Community Survey, a branch of the U.S. Census Bureau, the Human Services Agency calculated San Francisco's Gini Coefficient at .523.

According to the World Bank, Sweden scores a .25, Denmark scores a .24, and the United States as a whole scores a .45.

Rwanda actually shares wealth a little more than San Francisco, scoring a .508. But we are doing a bit better than Guatemala at .559. So there's that.

The scores are to be taken with a grain of salt since social services and charities mean it's different to be poor in San Francisco than in Rwanda or Guatemala, but they still demonstrate a quickly widening gap between our city's top and bottom earners.

The Brookings Institution recently found the income gap between San Francisco's rich and poor is growing faster than in any other city in the nation. The Human Services Agency's data further illustrate the phenomena.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mA fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 19, 2014

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

SporkOfTruth posted:

They listened to my complaints, huzzah. Now it's time to get out there and educate people why we're doing this.

Yeah good luck with that.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Perhaps this is a little hyperlocal, but there was this blog post about some lady's experience at a neighborhood planning meeting (and why SF residents are the reason we can't get more housing)

http://bernalwood.wordpress.com/201...ousing-problem/

quote:

As you know from this post, there is a proposed 6-unit development attempting to go in at two of the empty interior lots inside York, Hampshire, Cesar Chavez & Peralta. I live on the 200 block of Peralta, not immediately bordering the land, but up a bit.

This meeting was bigger than the last I went to, which was also very frustrating. (That one was about the house on Alabama near the cafe that’s currently under construction. The woman that owns that Alabama house left the meeting in tears because she was being hated on for wanting to renovate and move into her own home).

This proposed development is mainly reasonable. Offering four single-family homes with 3-car parking, water capture & recycling and solar panels and 2 unit townhomes on the 25′ lot / access way on York. While the final “design” hasn’t been done, what was shown looks fine, if generic.

As far as I understood, both by the committee’s acknowledgement & the owner & architect, this is the fourth or fifth visit to the NE slope special committee with as many different proposals. The most recent previous proposal was for 12 units total, instead of six.

The entry to the interior lot containing the 4 single-family homes is through the garage on York shared by the townhouses. So, in theory, if each unit had two cars, there would be a total of 12 cars coming and going every day from a single 12′ garage. In my opinion, this is the most troublesome part of the proposal, but that’s part of city life. I can’t imagine if they had the 12 units with 2 cars per (24 cars!) going into one garage on narrow York.

According to the owner, he bought the land in 1979, and has been “trying to build ever since.” Wow.

After presentations from the owner, the architect, the fire deputy for our part of Bernal, and the geology expert who did the land and grading surveys, questions were flying.

The stuff you’d expect to hear was in abundance: Blocking light & views, the entrance on York, traffic behind people’s houses on the “driveway”, where will the garbage bins go, how will they prevent landslides, how tall are the units, how tall are the retaining walls, where will the water go, etc.

While I understand that people’s most valuable possession is their home, the objections to this eminently reasonable proposal began to feel more and more outrageous. People were saying, they bought their houses because of access to the “nature” lot behind their houses, the trees and quiet, concern about electromagnetic sensitivity” to a proposed car turntable, etc. Legally, homeowners have no right to “light, views, or nature” of undeveloped lots. This should have been part of research done during the purchasing phase and a risk taken by homeowners purchasing homes bordering undeveloped, but owned, land.

To me, it was a lot of “we like it the way it is” even though the development, in my opinion, would bring much needed housing to desirable Bernal and create more neighbors to add to our community of awesome folks.

There were objections to the (legal) heights of the roofs, the height of the retaining walls, fundamental misunderstandings about the way cisterns and water recycling works (I can’t tell you how long we spent on fundamental mis-understanding of the water re-direction) , and objections to things that are relatively new or rare like the car turntable (we spent a good 15 minutes on making sure everyone understood it was an electric turntable, not a turn around circle).There were even more objections about the construction noise, parking during construction, and the construction starting just after the Cesar Chavez construction was ending.

There were people challenging the experts on their reports. Particularly the fire marshall and the geologist. Challenging him on what was bedrock, exactly. Saying that the excavations would cause the collapse of the hill and surrounding retaining walls (many of which were hand-made by the owners). Challenging the fire marshall on the ins-and outs of his experience fighting fires at properties like this one.

All of this, in my opinion, is fine to bring up as a concern. But once the question was answered by an expert, it was challenged and re-challenged. There were people saying it was wrong to remove mature trees, chasing off the “nature” permanently. (If anyone wants extra squirrels, they can have mine!) There were even people simply saying “we like the way it is” and the standard “it doesn’t fit the character of the neighborhood” argument – which seems to be a catch-all when reason fails. (There were even jabs and jokes made about how “rowdy” the patrons of Precita Park Cafe were, twinged with resentment. I’m so grateful for that cafe, it changed in a huge way, how we live and participate in our neighborhood).

In my opinion, we are in a desperate housing crisis in SF. There are not near enough available units to cover the number of people trying to live here.

As a homeowner who recently purchased a home (4 years ago) that 20 years ago was in an IDENTICAL situation, with two interior lots that their owners worked for YEARS to develop, I can feel the pain of the owner and architect acutely.

I’m SO grateful for my home, and my neighbors, and we watch out for them and they watch out for us. But our lot was the same as this one before the development. The neighbors used to run and play in our lots with their dogs and plant plants and treat it like public land, even though it never was. This created deep resentment during planning and development, which lingers to this day.

We fell in love with Bernal Heights because the neighborhood felt like a community. We could go the park with our dog and have people asking after us and catching up. For me, this meeting was extremely frustrating because it seemed like people felt entitled to things that ultimately weren’t theirs. It felt very uncompromising, negative and un-neighborly.

Is the owner going to get rich over this? Probably. Are we going to get six great new neighbors to watch out for our ‘hood? Likely. Are six families going to get to move to the neighborhood of their dreams? Yes. Will people’s lives be impacted in the short term? Definitely. Is everything ultimately going to be fine? Yes. Better, even.

One friend later told me I had seen “the dark heart” of the housing problem. Other friends said they stopped going to their neighborhood meetings because they couldn’t take it. The folks at these meetings are driving new and different perspectives away through their sheer endurance.

We live in a city. Cities are dense. We need to progress. This is not the face of progress.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hog Obituary posted:

Perhaps this is a little hyperlocal, but there was this blog post about some lady's experience at a neighborhood planning meeting (and why SF residents are the reason we can't get more housing)

http://bernalwood.wordpress.com/201...ousing-problem/

Wait doesn't that post makes it sound like the developer wasn't stopped by the meeting, but just had to listen to some idiots? That seems like a fair deal in exchange for a sweet payday.

I mean, if you look at the number of new units added in SF versus say the 50 square miles to the north or the 50 square miles to the south, SF has added a lot more units, and is at a considerably higher density. I don't think SF (or Oakland for that matter) is the real issue when it comes to a lack of housing in the Bay Area.

edit: 50 != 5

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 20, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Wait doesn't that post makes it sound like the developer wasn't stopped by the meeting, but just had to listen to some idiots? That seems like a fair deal in exchange for a sweet payday.

I mean, if you look at the number of new units added in SF versus say the 50 square miles to the north or the 5 square miles to the south, SF has added a lot more units, and is at a considerably higher density. I don't think SF (or Oakland for that matter) is the real issue when it comes to a lack of housing in the Bay Area.

It's absolutely the issue because people are being pushed out in to Vallejo and Walnut Creek for 50 mile commutes they (and no one else) wants because the city cores are stagnant with regard to housing. If the suburbs in Marin or wherever aren't building housing that's great for everyone because it means fewer people are jamming everything up every day.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dusseldorf posted:

It's absolutely the issue because people are being pushed out in to Vallejo and Walnut Creek for 50 mile commutes they (and no one else) wants because the city cores are stagnant with regard to housing. If the suburbs in Marin or wherever aren't building housing that's great for everyone because it means fewer people are jamming everything up every day.

SF is increasing the number of units available. Its already one of the densest cities in the US, meanwhile Daly City and the peninsula have a commuter rail connection and 0 desire to grow their housing, even as their employment base grows.

There are 6,000 new units of housing under construction in SF right now and up to another 44,000 in the pipeline. That's about as much as ABAG estimates San Mateo county will build by 2040. That's the problem, that our transit connected suburbs refuse to densify.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Ah Pook posted:

Actually from what I've seen and what I've been told if you're a Californian it's a pretty good idea to move to Texas, their general standards for "human being" are so much lower

Hmm, that doesn't actually sound very appealing.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

If you don't know where these come from (or couldn't guess), this guy does a write-up on the Central Valley.

quote:

Water = Jobs
Keep Water Flowing to Farms & Cities
Tell Feinstein pass Water Bill HR 1837
Farm Water Cut = Higher Food Cost! 50% cut 2010 60% cut 2009 65% cut 2008
CONGRESS CREATED DUST BOWL

At the bottom of some of the signs you’ll find urls of a few different plucky organizations, just trying to make Oligarch Valley more livable for the regular folks: WaterForAll.com, FamiliesProtectingTheValley.com… just grassroots movements of farm owners and farm workers uniting to fight the government and save their livelihood. Nah, I’m loving with you. Or at least someone is. Take WaterForAll.com, part of the Latino Water Coalition, an astroturf group created by farming interests to give a populist face to a purely corporate cause. The group has been put on ice, but was very active back in 2009 when it paid poor Latino migrant workers to take part in a series of “protests,” including a five-day “March for Water” staged for Fox News cameras, to make it seem like the people of California are dying of thirst at the hands of Big Government. The groups even drew Sean Hannity out to Oligarch Valley to denounce President Obama for deploying his Greenshirt shocktroops against hardworking American farmers in order to protect some uppity endangered fish. Hannity demanded that Obama “turn this water on now.”

Levine, Yasha (2013-10-07). A Journey Through Oligarch Valley (Kindle Locations 829-834). Not Safe For Work Corporation. Kindle Edition.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
There was a short article in today's Washington Post (online blog edition) about the California Republican Party's desperate attempt at relevance, specifically the governor's race. They're freaking out about the possibility of Tim Donnelly winning the primary. In fact, they're so worried that they're actually kicking money to what is doubtlessly a lost cause in an attempt to keep the party from sinking even further into irrelevance. Read on ahead!

quote:

When Brown beat former eBay executive Meg Whitman (R) by 13 points in 2010, he lost several of those districts. Republicans believe they can compete if Brown wins again, even by 20 points. But if Brown faces Donnelly and wins by a wider margin, he could pull Democrats across the finish line in those down-ballot races.

“If the California Republican Party has as the leading candidate, the leading statewide candidate on the ballot this year somebody who has said the outrageous things that he’s said and prone to the outrageous behavior that he routinely engages in, it will be used to tarnish not only the California Republican Party, but they’ll throw it at everybody else on the ballot, and everybody else will, across the country, disavow the guy,” Rove said. “Every time he goes out and says something, and as we’ve seen, Mr. Donnelly is quite prone to sharing the weird recesses and corners of his mind, it could be really problematic for the GOP.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

SF is increasing the number of units available. Its already one of the densest cities in the US, meanwhile Daly City and the peninsula have a commuter rail connection and 0 desire to grow their housing, even as their employment base grows.

There are 6,000 new units of housing under construction in SF right now and up to another 44,000 in the pipeline. That's about as much as ABAG estimates San Mateo county will build by 2040. That's the problem, that our transit connected suburbs refuse to densify.

This is pretty much the best article I read on the Bay Area housing problem:
http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/14/sf-housing/