Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Booblord Zagats posted:

Navy Thread continues to be the chillest service thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pluto is the Vas of the dog world.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pluto is the Vas of the dog world.

:vince:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
The whole Goofy/Pluto thing really creeps me out. I mean, Goofy is a dog who owns a dog. But in the Disney world of anthropomorphic animals with human intelligence, is Pluto just a dog? Or is he is Goofy's retarded little brother who Goofy keeps as a pet? The whole thing just ain't right.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Goofy's a better fit for Vas than Pluto

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I keep hearing that same joke about Vas, but at this point I am unable to tell if it's true or not.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

vulturesrow posted:

The whole Goofy/Pluto thing really creeps me out. I mean, Goofy is a dog who owns a dog. But in the Disney world of anthropomorphic animals with human intelligence, is Pluto just a dog? Or is he is Goofy's retarded little brother who Goofy keeps as a pet? The whole thing just ain't right.

All the mouse and dog talking toons are modeled after black faced mistrals. Don't look too deep into Disney stuff.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

I keep hearing that same joke about Vas, but at this point I am unable to tell if it's true or not.

:ssh:its not:ssh:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Our CO called up a sailor last Thursday to personally congratulate him on advancing to E6. 6 hours later he flipped his truck over and was charged with a DUI. Now he isn't going to make HYT. What does this all really mean? Easier quotas when I'm up for advancement. Keep it up everyone :frogc00l:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

Our CO called up a sailor last Thursday to personally congratulate him on advancing to E6. 6 hours later he flipped his truck over and was charged with a DUI. Now he isn't going to make HYT. What does this all really mean? Easier quotas when I'm up for advancement. Keep it up everyone :frogc00l:

So it's the CO's fault.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How does someone become a doctor on a submarine? I have an MD and PhD and will be fully licensed in a year in internal medicine. I'm still wondering what to do with my life, working in a hospital can be great, but also really pointless at times. Military service has always really interested me, especially naval service. I almost joined the military, but just got on a different tack during and after college.

Are there ways for fully trained US doctors to jump into a naval career through some accelerated path? I'm in my 30s already and more years of school doesn't sound really that interesting.

What does a doc on a submarine or other warship do? How often are people sick or injured?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

How does someone become a doctor on a submarine? I have an MD and PhD and will be fully licensed in a year in internal medicine. I'm still wondering what to do with my life, working in a hospital can be great, but also really pointless at times. Military service has always really interested me, especially naval service. I almost joined the military, but just got on a different tack during and after college.

Are there ways for fully trained US doctors to jump into a naval career through some accelerated path? I'm in my 30s already and more years of school doesn't sound really that interesting.

What does a doc on a submarine or other warship do? How often are people sick or injured?

You wouldn't have to go through any more medical training. Essentially, you'd be given a commission, go to Newport, RI for a little while to learn military stuff and then off to your first duty station. You wouldn't see time on a sub, the "doc" on a sub is what is known as an Independent Duty Corpsman. For shore duty you would most likely go to a hospital considering your specialty. For sea duty your most likely assignment might be to a carrier medical department or the medical department of a big deck amphib. You might also go to an overseas hospital or clinic, or an expeditionary medical facility.

e: forgot there are two specialized hospital ships you might serve on as well. More info here: Navy Physician

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 28, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Most Doctors in the Mlitary aren't even "fully trained" yet and won't do residency until after their first command :ssh:

There's definitely an accelerated path especially if you're already an MD. You'll do some bullshit 2 week OCS or whatever they call it to learn how to salute and wear a uniform and you'll come in as an 0-3 I believe.

Again, no Doctors on subs. They're IDC's which serve as providers and like to call themselves on par with a PA. Same goes for the smaller ships.

Bigger ships definitely have a ton of MDs. I was on an LHD (smaller carrier) which was also supposed to serve as a hospital if needed. There must have been 8-10 I believe including specialty Docs. Had lab, surgery, ICU, x-ray, the whole bit. Only 1 IDC which came along for the ride from a Marine unit.

There are 2 hospital ships (Mercy and Comfort) but from what I understand they're mostly contractors and I'm sure it's a hard billet to get regardless.

There's a lot of places you can go. Hospitals, clinics, flight surgeon with an aviation unit (Navy or USMC), any kind of Marine unit, bigger ships, etc.

It's not exciting as you'd think it'd be.
Just normal aches and pains that come with the job and people trying to get out of work. Usually it's you and Corpsmen who will do most of your work for you anyways. Nurses aren't too common outside of a hospital. You'll usually diagnose and decide on the treatment and the Corpsmen will carry out the procedures and write the notes. Yeah if you're in the middle of the ocean and poo poo hits the fan you and your Corpsmen are it and you'll have to do whatever is necessary until a medevac is possible if at all.

You'll probably just end up in a hospital anyways though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Depending on experience and specialty there, MDs come in up to O-6 in rank and used to be able to get decent bonuses. I don't know the current status on the bonus stuff off the top of my head anymore because I just don't care to look.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Working on a carrier would be pretty gratifying to me. There would certainly be a larger patient base, and the excitement of being deployed would be there. Anyone here work on one that can chime in with what it's like? Most of the posts here make navy service sound pretty lovely. I'm sure serving and being on an aircraft carrier is rewarding in some regards, right?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The bigger the worse it is generally. Haven't been on a carrier but I've only heard bad things.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

The bigger the worse it is generally. Haven't been on a carrier but I've only heard bad things.

The entirety of bad things I've heard of carrier medical was from my friends complaining about how lovely the corpsmen and doctors on board were. I have one friend that's getting discharged because something got dropped onto her foot and now she has drop foot because the MD on board, as well as the corpsmen, didn't even bother to do an x-ray regardless of the number of times she went in to get it seen since it just kept getting worse. Can't feel/move anything below her knee.

Another dude dropped a hammer on his face and just got gauze put on without a suture.

God help you if one of those idiots needs to draw blood from you.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Christoff posted:

This is utter horse poo poo. In on my phone so I'm not going to make a big effort post but life is much better on carriers, especially for someone who is going to be a doctor on said carrier.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

Most of the posts here make navy service sound pretty lovely.
Because it is.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

The most moto officers I've ever met have been officers that have very little to actually do with navy stuff eg. doctors, lawyers, nurses.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
May has been a slow month for the Navy thread...

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Working on a carrier would be pretty gratifying to me. There would certainly be a larger patient base, and the excitement of being deployed would be there. Anyone here work on one that can chime in with what it's like? Most of the posts here make navy service sound pretty lovely. I'm sure serving and being on an aircraft carrier is rewarding in some regards, right?

The 4 things you will see: STDs, depression, malingering, and foreign ports.

Also, on the carrier I was on, our PsychO and one of the dental DivOs were both having an affair with the (married) XO. Dental divo found out about psycho, and told the CO. Good times.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Noeland posted:

Also, on the carrier I was on, our PsychO and one of the dental DivOs were both having an affair with the (married) XO. Dental divo found out about psycho, and told the CO. Good times.

So they would have rather cut off the supply of sexhaving than just throw down in a threesome? Navy officers are weird.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Noeland posted:

Boring and unrelated to sexhaving, but PsychO? Do carriers really have enough mental problems that they need a dedicated medical officer to handle them?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Octopode posted:

Boring and unrelated to sexhaving, but PsychO? Do carriers really have enough mental problems that they need a dedicated medical officer to handle them?

Mental health is probably a reasonable concern onboard a giant ship powered by nuclear fire with a billion dollars worth of aircraft capable of dropping enough bombs to erase a small country from Rand McNally's collective consciousness

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Honestly, it sounds good. I've read up on it some and think that after I get licensed I'll look to applying. Foreign ports sound awesome, std's, depression, sore joints, whatever, is easy doctoring and I get to use all these skills I've amassed over the years for the military.

What are doctors like on smaller ships? I imagine destroyers and smaller have docs aboard too. Are there circumstances where you are one of only a few doctors on board? I come from a very rigorous training program and like that level of responsibility. How often is a doctor deployed at sea? It would suck to be on a boat for only six months out of a four year stretch. I was imagining being out there a lot more than that. I'm fine working in military hospitals between deployments.

Also, how often do I get to drink scotch? Like, all day?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

Honestly, it sounds good. I've read up on it some and think that after I get licensed I'll look to applying. Foreign ports sound awesome, std's, depression, sore joints, whatever, is easy doctoring and I get to use all these skills I've amassed over the years for the military.

What are doctors like on smaller ships? I imagine destroyers and smaller have docs aboard too. Are there circumstances where you are one of only a few doctors on board? I come from a very rigorous training program and like that level of responsibility. How often is a doctor deployed at sea? It would suck to be on a boat for only six months out of a four year stretch. I was imagining being out there a lot more than that. I'm fine working in military hospitals between deployments.

The doc on the Enterprise had his own private reserve in his quarters, but he was a captain. If you recieved a commission as a captain for already having your doctorate in medicine, then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to sneak some scotch on board. Now as far as being drunk while on call, dunno if that's wise really.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

Nope. Actual MD's are only on Carriers and larger amphibious ships. Just like on subs, CRUDES ships only have an IDC and maybe 1 or 2 junior HM's.

Also, no drinking on board. Unless you're the captain. :yarr:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Nope. Actual MD's are only on Carriers and larger amphibious ships. Just like on subs, CRUDES ships only have an IDC and maybe 1 or 2 junior HM's.

Also, no drinking on board. Unless you're the captain. :yarr:

MML our doc had his own little private stash of scotch in his cabin, but he was also like 60ish, a captain, and came in after getting his doctorate and was more civilian than military it seemed.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

orange juche posted:

MML our doc had his own little private stash of scotch in his cabin, but he was also like 60ish, a captain, and came in after getting his doctorate and was more civilian than military it seemed.

Yeah it happens, and honestly no one is going to ask questions to, or stop, that guy because he is clearly a responsible adult who can make sound decisions. That said, I definitely would not recommend trying anything like that to anyone posting here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I agree with what MML said. Those guys that come in as an O-6 have already been practicing for decades and are almost entirely left to their own devices to do their job. No one is going to really ever say anything to them so long as they're not doing something actually harmful.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Octopode posted:

A carrier strike group is twice the size of an Army brigade and is a self-contained deployable unit so yes.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

We got one a couple months into deployment on an LHD to serve the 3 ship ARG. I was a bit surprised too to and when I asked he said it was a new thing.

I know the smallest ship, LSD, had at least one MO.

There were a ton of SI's and it seemed like there was always someone in the ward for SI. A lot of psych medevacs

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 29, 2014

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Christoff posted:

We got one a couple months into deployment on an LHD to serve the 3 ship ARG. I was a bit surprised too to and when I asked he said it was a new thing.

I know the smallest ship, LSD, had at least one MO.

There were a ton of SI's and it seemed like there was always someone in the ward for SI. A lot of psych medevacs

Yeah, on an LSD we had a dedicated Medical Officer and another Dental Officer, along with the Docs attached to the Marines, but we didn't have a dedicated Psych anywhere in that ARG or in my second one. I guess it must be something that's rolling out.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Octopode posted:

Yeah, on an LSD we had a dedicated Medical Officer and another Dental Officer, along with the Docs attached to the Marines, but we didn't have a dedicated Psych anywhere in that ARG or in my second one. I guess it must be something that's rolling out.

Carriers have had dedicated psych officers for at least a decade now, probably longer.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Noeland posted:

Carriers have had dedicated psych officers for at least a decade now, probably longer.

Yeah but he was referencing my post talking about an LHD. The psych Doc came on the ship a couple months into deployment and when I asked he said it was a new thing they were trying/implementing with having a psych onboard. There was a behavioral health tech HM as well.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 30, 2014

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
It's the weekend, and the May Navy thread is terminal!

EDIT: btw, I hate reddit, but this is why I read it, this was in the "so_my_neighbor_nursed_a_sick_crow_back_to" thread:

quote:

The CIA proposed a plan to kill American citizens to gain support for a foreign war. Kennedy rejected it. Kennedy gets killed. Country gets handed over to surveillance agencies. CIA trained terrorists attack American citizens. The US government lies through its teeth about the attacks to gain support for a foreign war. All of these happebed.
Combined with all the other stuff the US has been proven to do, them being responsible for the attacks on 9/11 is exactly something they would do. Especially after finding out they also view the citizens as potential terrorists, or the enemy as Obama called them.

Sir Lucius fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 30, 2014

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Sir Lucius posted:

It's the weekend, and the May Navy thread is terminal!

EDIT: btw, I hate reddit, but this is why I read it, this was in the "so_my_neighbor_nursed_a_sick_crow_back_to" thread:

My god. There is so much weirdness going on in that post...

Who actually thinks like that? There seems to be more and more coming out of the woodwork. We had that poo poo in paranormal/conspiracy, but that forum is dead as nails.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I don't browse reddit but every now and then someone will link a real gem

http://www.reddit.com/r/casualiama/comments/24va90/im_an_idiot_who_drove_across_the_country_to/

The girl he's talking about is in some a-school.

quote:

Backstory:
We have been together for over 3 years and it's been the best time of my life. We were talking about the future together and she was sending wedding dress pictures to my mom and such. It was serious.
Buuuuuut....being away from her for so long I started to get lonely and jealous and started accusing her of things and always interrogating her about her day. Eventually it became too much for her and she left me. After contemplating things that involved death I decided to spend the last of my money on a ring and drive down to propose to her like I should've done a long time ago.
I managed to get a phone conversation with her before I left and it was very reassuring. We just talked like we used to, but nothing about being in a relationship again. I told her how bad I messed up and apologized with lovely words. She's agreed to see me Wednesday. I'm gonna warm her up with homemade gifts reflecting our past and the pop the question on the Gulf of Mexico shoreline.
So here I am in an IHOP parking lot using a giant pink mustache as a pillow because I can't afford a hotel. So after a day of driving I thought I'd entertain myself with strangers. So go on, AMA guys.
EDIT:
Here's a comic strip I made of our time together that I'm giving to her to read before I ask.
COVER PAGES 1-4 PAGES 5-8 PAGES 9-12
The last page is blank on purpose. I have my markers and its up to her what the ending is.
EDIT 2: just got off the phone with her. I'm staying till the weekend, seeing her today, parasailing Thursday, and I'm asking her on the beach after parasailing.
EDIT 3: Meeting her now. Gonna give her the comic inside a handmade beach themed box of chocolates.
EDIT 4: The night ended well. We had dinner, I gave her the box of chocolates with the comic in it and she cried. I had a note I'd written and put in a secret compartment (I made this for her in 2012 for valentines day) and showed her the note from me two years ago.
We talked in my car on base and it was really emotional, both of us teared up. I said to her "I know there's a part of you that wants to give me a second chance" as she looked at me and said "yes".
I asked her if I had asked her to marry me before all this what would you have said? She would have said yes and that it didn't have to be a ring, it could've been a plastic one from a gum ball machine. We had a laugh about the whole situation and how she would have threw it back at me as she said yes, but that it would be special. She hugged me and said goodnight RyRy, to which I said goodnight ArAr. I asked to kiss her cheek and she said no. I asked to kiss her hand and still no. So I asked for at least some shoulder. She presented me her shoulder and I kiss the hell out of it and tarted using tongue. She laughed and said ewww.
After a tight hug and many apologies we said goodnight and I drove past her on the side walk looking like a creep rolling down the window asking if she wanted a piece of gum. She said "I don't take gum from strangers". I said "well, I'm Ryan. Are we still strangers?" She walked up to my door and took a piece of gum, smiled and blew me a kiss.
I still have an uphill battle, but Im at a good start. She's coming to the hotel Thursday and I'm going to buy a gum ball ring tmrw to use to ask her to marry me, and if she says yes and puts it on, I'll say "that's cute and all, but I think this one would look better" and pull out the real ring. So that's my update! I'll have more Thursday night.... I may ask the question that night.
EDIT 5: changed gun all to gum ball. Bad typo. Very bad typo. Other typos
EDIT 6: I've decided I'm not gonna ask her Thursday. Instead, I'm gonna buy a plastic gum ball ring like she talked about and give it to her as a promise ring, a promise I'm here to stay and won't give up on her. I think I should take this slower. So looks like I'm gonna be here for a couple weeks. After the promise ring, I'm going to keep seeing her until she agrees to give me another chance. Then I think that's when I'll drop to the knee and tell her it's the only one I need and just loving do it.
Since everyone seems so interested in this I will keep this post up to date. While I feel weird divulging my personal life more than I thought I would have been, there's something therapeutic in chronicling the story, like an open source diary. Thank you for all your responses. I'll keep this updated.
EDIT 7: since people think me kissing her shoulder was a rejection, here's why it's significant...
It's what we do. When she's mad at me she won't kiss me to reach me a lesson. So I ask for something else I can kiss. It usually gets her laughing and and ends up kissing me anyway. The shoulder was a good thing. It means of something to come.

For the pictures you actually have to click through but it is one of the most pathetic things I have ever read.

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I was hoping for the ending where she's loving an E7.

• Locked thread