Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Pandasmores posted:

Not here. They have us route it up through our LPO, LCPO, SEL, DH, Watchbill Coordinator and then to the EDTRA officer.

Wow. Just wow. I'm sorry.

That is just putting up barriers to success. I would understand if it was pre-deployment time or an insurv, but if it does not affect the mission why not streamline that poo poo?

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Week two of civilian life. I've got really nothing to do except bum around Philly until classes start on the 28th, so I took a day and walked over to my new campus to scope out the scene. Penn is the most beautiful college campus in the world, I'm convinced. The gym is four stories tall, and has a two story climbing wall, olympic pool, cross fit gym and a separate oly/powerlifting room - all with good hours and brand new equipment. My mind was blown by the sheer number of gorgeous women in yoga pants. Suck it, still-in-the-Navy people.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

TheQuietWilds posted:

Week two of civilian life. I've got really nothing to do except bum around Philly until classes start on the 28th, so I took a day and walked over to my new campus to scope out the scene. Penn is the most beautiful college campus in the world, I'm convinced. The gym is four stories tall, and has a two story climbing wall, olympic pool, cross fit gym and a separate oly/powerlifting room - all with good hours and brand new equipment. My mind was blown by the sheer number of gorgeous women in yoga pants. Suck it, still-in-the-Navy people.

Nioce.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill
Nevermind.

Ideal Paradigm fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 9, 2014

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Current home status: my car

On the road now. Oak Harbor, WA -> Florida. Feels good.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

MancXVI posted:

That's a journey. I hate traveling in my car...

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

MancXVI posted:

Congrats dude.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Pandasmores posted:

Not here. They have us route it up through our LPO, LCPO, SEL, DH, Watchbill Coordinator and then to the EDTRA officer.

I don't know where here is, but there's nothing to route. Like you full out the application online and your co, or education officer if one is appointed, gets an email, then they click approve or disapprove. The only reason it can be disapproved is if you fail the general TA requirements (pfa, eval, I think there might be one other thing).

It sounds like your coc is doing your entire command an enormous disservice and if it were me I would absolutely flip poo poo and just do it the way the entire rest of the navy does it.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

PneumonicBook posted:

I don't know where here is, but there's nothing to route. Like you full out the application online and your co, or education officer if one is appointed, gets an email, then they click approve or disapprove. The only reason it can be disapproved is if you fail the general TA requirements (pfa, eval, I think there might be one other thing).

It sounds like your coc is doing your entire command an enormous disservice and if it were me I would absolutely flip poo poo and just do it the way the entire rest of the navy does it.

I was thinking that they require their enlisted to file special request chits to even attend the TA training requirement, or possibly to use WebTA.

Regardless, it is poo poo.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

I was thinking that they require their enlisted to file special request chits to even attend the TA training requirement, or possibly to use WebTA.

Regardless, it is poo poo.

Maybe, but again, their being dumbasses about it. The WebTA brief requirement can be done simply by looking at their powerpoint that his base college office can just email him, and they literally can't stop him from using webTA. Sounds like a ridiculous policy put in place by a bunch of people that have never actually gone through the TA process and think that this is how it should be done. Like you said earlier all it is is obstacles to a sailor bettering him/herself. Sketches and my last CO's policy on TA was fantastic, he would approve your TA request pretty much the day you submitted it. He was a big proponent of education.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

PneumonicBook posted:

Maybe, but again, their being dumbasses about it. The WebTA brief requirement can be done simply by looking at their powerpoint that his base college office can just email him, and they literally can't stop him from using webTA. Sounds like a ridiculous policy put in place by a bunch of people that have never actually gone through the TA process and think that this is how it should be done. Like you said earlier all it is is obstacles to a sailor bettering him/herself. Sketches and my last CO's policy on TA was fantastic, he would approve your TA request pretty much the day you submitted it. He was a big proponent of education.

Yep, and our new CO follows the same policy. I signed up for summer session classes through WebTA at 1900ish while on break last Wednesday and he approved them six minutes later. I was surprised that he was even in the building at that hour much less the speed at which he said "go."

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 8, 2014

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sadly it isn't my CoC that made the drat routing matrix. :smithicide:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Pandasmores posted:

Sadly it isn't my CoC that made the drat routing matrix. :smithicide:

So why are you following it?

I mean this is your education, so if you want to not be an rear end in a top hat about it and let the Navy dick you around, by all means go for it, but the only thing it says about your command at Navy College is 'WebTA applications must be command approved, received by the VEC and approved/funded prior to the course start date.', command approved via the CO/education officer because that's who approves them. If you need to go waive the NAVADMINS over here at them.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Because command's so small if step on one person's balls everyone gets on your back, but I'll try and fight for it using navadmins and stuff. They trump local policy don't they? Since I have 2 years left here I figured laying my head low was the best, DRB and all.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Pandasmores posted:

Because command's so small if step on one person's balls everyone gets on your back, but I'll try and fight for it using navadmins and stuff. They trump local policy don't they? Since I have 2 years left here I figured laying my head low was the best, DRB and all.

Yea I see where you're coming from with that but I personally see this as something worth fighting against, especially with how time sensitive ta is and how you've got people in your coc that evidently lose chits left and right.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I guess the barracks got raided and 40 rooms were unsat and 6 underage drinkings/cohabitations discovered. My department head is quite upset. Serious question for officers: do you actually give a poo poo about your sailors and believe you're doing a good thing with wellness inspections, or is it more you know this poo poo is going on and you want to shake things up to have a bullet on your fitrep?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Probably the CMC pulling the trigger but I'll play along anyway.

Sadly, the inspections can be a way to see which of your really junior guys need help with adult life and which ones don't. I never initiated or conducted one but my chief did swing by to give me the results a couple times. It's an indicator of where you can focus training/personal attention and sometimes find out if somebody is struggling in general.

Tldr: yes I give a poo poo, but IMO inspections aren't a way to punish people (or shouldn't be... YMMV)

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Eh, they don't really affect me. The department head just sends out emails every week and asks for feedback on his thoughts, obviously I'm never going to reply to one of those so I just needed to vent here.

I guess the way I see it is it's as futile as the war on drugs. Do sailors underage drink -- if they could test for it I'm sure they'd get about 90% popping hot. Is it good to weed out the ones dumb enough to get caught -- probably. Should I give a poo poo about my s h i p m a t e s. I'd probably tell them just don't get caught.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
There's a chief in my class now who served on a sub with an old classmate of mine. When confirmed we were talking about the same guy I said "that guy used to underage drink at my apartment during A school". He just laughed and said it happens.

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 8, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just curious how much freedom do sailors have during A school in Great Lakes? I was told a lot of them lose their poo poo being "adults" for their first time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The extent your department head gives a gently caress about the barracks is directly proportional to the amount of poo poo your CO gives him about it. Barracks issues are almost 100% handled by the chiefs. The only concern I ever had was "do my sailors have rooms." None us of gave two fucks about the barracks beyond that because that's all that really matters.

Basically, if your department head was drug into the mess it's because the chiefs did an inspection, the report went to the CO, and he in turn bitched at your department head because of so many sailors failing. The amount he cares only extends to the amount of poo poo he gets about it. He probably just turned around and chewed out all his chiefs. They, then, chew you out.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

LingcodKilla posted:

Just curious how much freedom do sailors have during A school in Great Lakes? I was told a lot of them lose their poo poo being "adults" for their first time.

Freedom isn't free. It costs a hefty fuckin' fee.

Their parent command dictates their lives. It is a heavily structured environment.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I cannot imagine how hosed an enlisted barracks has to get for officers to get involved.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Freedom isn't free. It costs a hefty fuckin' fee.

Their parent command dictates their lives. It is a heavily structured environment.

To be more specific here, the students get liberty based on a phase system. They are in school for probably around 8ish hours aday, then after that there is usually PT or 'naval heritaqe' or whatever. They probably on a weekday only get a few hours a night depending on what phase liberty they're on, on the weekends if they aren't on mandatory extra study or aren't on duty then they get pretty much the whole day.

But yes, they do lose there poo poo, and in most cases I imagine it's because the younger ones aren't used to not having parental supervision. The mid 20's and up sailors you don't normally hear going to mast or whatever.\

EDIT: Last thread TrialByStone was talking about a DDG who exploded their MRG. Today on the AEGIS FC Facebook page someone seriously asked if SPY could damage an MRG. Like holy loving poo poo what? Evidently khaki leadership on that boat is trying to pass this off on another ship leapfrogging them and not securing SPY or something along those lines. At least I assume it's not a ship blaming their own SPY array, but hey, I've had some pretty terrible leadership in the past so I suppose that could be a thing also. It just blows my loving mind that that could even be a question that got further than the idiot JO (I assume) that suggested it.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 8, 2014

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

LingcodKilla posted:

You are treated like a five year old, and the barbed wire is there to keep you on the base instead of people off of it. Usually it's the retards who would've gotten kicked out of the navy anyway when given any small amount of freedom that get the boot, or the fleet returnees who go mental because they're being treated like those retards while also having to babysit them.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 8, 2014

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mr. Nice! posted:

The only concern I ever had was "do my sailors have rooms." None us of gave two fucks about the barracks beyond that because that's all that really matters.

I would expand that to "rooms without black mold / with working toilets". But yeah, if guys have filthy rooms that's really the goat locker's job to get it squared away.

I'd also love to see a DH fitrep with a bullet point dedicated to barracks inspections. That would be the saddest loving thing ever.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well, of course I'd be concerned if one of the guys had black mold or non-functioning facilities, but when it gets brought up to me I would immediately just go to the DLCPO or CMC and ask them "WTF?" If the goat locker is lovely enough that divos & department heads have to get hands on in barracks poo poo, something is majorly wrong.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

For corpsmen it was more of a boot camp 1.5, with them not really giving a poo poo about what you do out in Chicago as long as the cops aren't poking their heads into the command. They were pretty quick on pulling liberty cards from classes with irresponsible people so that their fellow students would come down on them like the wrath of some vengeful, horny, drunken god. Now in San Antonio it's loving hilarious because they're strict on all these kids and can't tell the C schoolers from the A schoolers, so they have a chance to kind of slack off if they're walking around and no one recognizes them. I got some poor bastard in trouble with his class leader because I told the liberty card dude to go gently caress himself when he haggled me about dropping off a card at the quarterdeck that I didn't have (C schoolers don't get them).

Boot camp 2.0 is Field Medical Training Battalion at Camp Pendleton though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm going to be the oldest guy for sure. This sounds like a challenge to not kill the young kids.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Sir Lucius posted:

I guess the barracks got raided and 40 rooms were unsat and 6 underage drinkings/cohabitations discovered. My department head is quite upset. Serious question for officers: do you actually give a poo poo about your sailors and believe you're doing a good thing with wellness inspections, or is it more you know this poo poo is going on and you want to shake things up to have a bullet on your fitrep?

Been summed up pretty well. I'll just add that they are a necessary evil because some sailors are literally incapable of living like a grown up without being made to do so. Let me tell you about the guy that had ferrets in his barracks room...

It's a little higher on my priority list when deployed because in a 100 man berthing your filthiness has a direct impact on people around you. Usually though those guys around you take care of it pretty directly.

One time on deployment during an inspection a guy had a "self pleasure device" in his rack and proceeded to tell the inspector that several guys actually shared said device... :barf:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
if left to their own devices enlisted "people" will turn a barracks into a crack/opium/rape/garbage den/palace in a matter of minutes

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

krispykremessuck posted:

if left to their own devices enlisted "people" will turn a barracks into a crack/opium/rape/garbage den/palace in a matter of minutes
The coners on my boat had boxing tournaments in the hallways.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

I cannot imagine how hosed an enlisted barracks has to get for officers to get involved.
Oh yea, I just remembered a few things now that I got some sleep. During sexual assault awareness month the number of sexual assault incidents skyrocketed in the barracks. Also possibly related, they added an extra watch stander to make sure the restrictee didn't escape. The restrictree is staying in the barracks until they are transferred to the brig for some reason.

Now that I think about it, that place is pretty hosed, I'm glad I don't live there.

EDIT: Also it is full of mold. I remember a year and a half ago a bunch of the rooms got condemned because the walls were basically green. I guess they didn't understand pumping cold damp air through your central HVAC doesn't kill mold.

Sir Lucius fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 8, 2014

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
The navy really hates when people hack into their servers, especially if you're serving on their aircraft carrier.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...wpsrc=AG0003336
http://hamptonroads.com/2014/05/extruman-sailor-charged-massive-hacking-case

What a little shithead. "Oh, I want to be just like Bradley Manning!"

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 8, 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The navy really hates when people hack into their servers, especially if you're serving on their aircraft carrier.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...wpsrc=AG0003336
http://hamptonroads.com/2014/05/extruman-sailor-charged-massive-hacking-case

What a little shithead. "Oh, I want to be just like Bradley Manning!"

quote:

Team Digi7al (pronounced "digital")

quote:

Knight called himself the "nuclear black hat" and used aliases and nicknames such as Inertia, Logic, nickmc01, Solo and Iner7ia.

The Navy should be deeply embarrassed that a douchenozzle like this was able to hack their poo poo.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Stultus Maximus posted:

The Navy should be deeply embarrassed that a douchenozzle like this was able to hack their poo poo.

It happens every day. Chinese and Russian hacker groups are masters compared to this kid. This kid was just caught, and what made it more comical was that he was caught on the ship during working hours trying to "hax" his own ship.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That guy and that story sound dumber than mud

quote:

One group member told authorities that there were political motivations, but their anti-government sentiments were not fully explained.

"They were somewhat politically inclined. We were not able to identify a particular political stance that this group took," Souders said.

:allears:

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
So I was walking to one of the ships here in Yokosuka yesterday, minding my own business for the most part when I noticed something odd about a car next to me. I know that this belongs to one of you. Also, the numbers on the plate seem to be related somehow.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Can June be "convince people to join the military month" so we get some fresh blood up in here to provide entertainment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Can June be "convince people to join the military month" so we get some fresh blood up in here to provide entertainment?

Well I'm over 35 looking to join the reserves. Passed my physical and just waiting for my waiver interview. Will that be entertaining enough?

• Locked thread