Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

Regardless, I felt that they asked the right questions. It took me 15 minutes, and I felt a little better after answering the survey. No :effort: required.

You should do it. :colbert:

You should stop being broken and buying mail in Russian wives. Hey Phil.

Drunk post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

working full time

Ahahaha, that's rich. Maybe working full time on malingering.

I was thinking of fall back plans for when I get out of this terrible service that lets guys like sketches one day become lpos, and I thought hey, I could always get a job teaching at a C school or something. Any of you know anyone working at a navy training command in a civilian capacity? I'd ask around here but all of the civilian instructors at good old great lakes are retired thirty year gm chiefs so I try not to talk to them if I can help it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

TrialbyStone posted:

I've been told that there's a relatively small, if not possible chance that I can weasel an IT cert out of my next command, assuming I can get in good with their Traino, so here's hoping. My first IDB with my new command is going to outline *specifically* what I plan on doing in the next 2 years, and now that i'm not a baby sailor I don't have to let the CMC tell me "What you want out of life doesn't matter" and accept it.

Hopefully I can at least accomplish a few credit hours or at least a certificate. If 7th Fleet taught me anything it's that doing anything BUT is impossible. I'll have to see I guess.

Double posting because I'm on my phone and am incredibly lazy; you can always do US maps, but I'm not entirely sure how useful the piece of paper you get from that is, also don't forget about navy COOL. Obviously both of those are somewhat rate dependant, i.e. don't expect the navy to pay for an IT cert if you're a GSM.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Pandasmores posted:

Not here. They have us route it up through our LPO, LCPO, SEL, DH, Watchbill Coordinator and then to the EDTRA officer.

I don't know where here is, but there's nothing to route. Like you full out the application online and your co, or education officer if one is appointed, gets an email, then they click approve or disapprove. The only reason it can be disapproved is if you fail the general TA requirements (pfa, eval, I think there might be one other thing).

It sounds like your coc is doing your entire command an enormous disservice and if it were me I would absolutely flip poo poo and just do it the way the entire rest of the navy does it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

I was thinking that they require their enlisted to file special request chits to even attend the TA training requirement, or possibly to use WebTA.

Regardless, it is poo poo.

Maybe, but again, their being dumbasses about it. The WebTA brief requirement can be done simply by looking at their powerpoint that his base college office can just email him, and they literally can't stop him from using webTA. Sounds like a ridiculous policy put in place by a bunch of people that have never actually gone through the TA process and think that this is how it should be done. Like you said earlier all it is is obstacles to a sailor bettering him/herself. Sketches and my last CO's policy on TA was fantastic, he would approve your TA request pretty much the day you submitted it. He was a big proponent of education.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Pandasmores posted:

Sadly it isn't my CoC that made the drat routing matrix. :smithicide:

So why are you following it?

I mean this is your education, so if you want to not be an rear end in a top hat about it and let the Navy dick you around, by all means go for it, but the only thing it says about your command at Navy College is 'WebTA applications must be command approved, received by the VEC and approved/funded prior to the course start date.', command approved via the CO/education officer because that's who approves them. If you need to go waive the NAVADMINS over here at them.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Pandasmores posted:

Because command's so small if step on one person's balls everyone gets on your back, but I'll try and fight for it using navadmins and stuff. They trump local policy don't they? Since I have 2 years left here I figured laying my head low was the best, DRB and all.

Yea I see where you're coming from with that but I personally see this as something worth fighting against, especially with how time sensitive ta is and how you've got people in your coc that evidently lose chits left and right.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Freedom isn't free. It costs a hefty fuckin' fee.

Their parent command dictates their lives. It is a heavily structured environment.

To be more specific here, the students get liberty based on a phase system. They are in school for probably around 8ish hours aday, then after that there is usually PT or 'naval heritaqe' or whatever. They probably on a weekday only get a few hours a night depending on what phase liberty they're on, on the weekends if they aren't on mandatory extra study or aren't on duty then they get pretty much the whole day.

But yes, they do lose there poo poo, and in most cases I imagine it's because the younger ones aren't used to not having parental supervision. The mid 20's and up sailors you don't normally hear going to mast or whatever.\

EDIT: Last thread TrialByStone was talking about a DDG who exploded their MRG. Today on the AEGIS FC Facebook page someone seriously asked if SPY could damage an MRG. Like holy loving poo poo what? Evidently khaki leadership on that boat is trying to pass this off on another ship leapfrogging them and not securing SPY or something along those lines. At least I assume it's not a ship blaming their own SPY array, but hey, I've had some pretty terrible leadership in the past so I suppose that could be a thing also. It just blows my loving mind that that could even be a question that got further than the idiot JO (I assume) that suggested it.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

I didn't work out once before my PRT and still scored an excellent. I can go to PT every week and get 11:59 on the treadmill or I can be lazy for half a year and get 12:50 and its still the same score.

Navy PT is a joke.

Maybe if you're not a bloated beer drinking fatass.

No you're right the PRT is dumb easy regardless.

• Locked thread