Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Seqenenra posted:

So during the above time period, you interacted with the police and they didn't worry about you maybe driving drunk. But some chiefs took a stab at math and tried to estimate what your BAC would be and charge you with what is essentially a DUI. Is that about right?

Sounds pretty much like the navy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MancXVI posted:

I don't understand what the chief's mess has to gain from roasting you like that, other than a temporary relief from the existential horror of existence.

Don't you know they sustain themselves on the steady blood sacrifice of lower enlisted?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

krispykremessuck posted:

the screens went blank !!

Dare them to try it again on a different destroyer where the ETs and FCs do their loving PMS.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

This is a joke post, right?

I haven't read any other source about any destroyer in the black sea suddenly making port, but I am pretty sure radars don't just shut off when they are jammed. Odds are they had a malfunction unrelated to what any russian anything was doing and had to make port, and russia is using it as a propaganda point.

Could also be lovely google translated page as well, as it looks like it was kind of machine translated.:shrug:

E: Read a page on CNN of all things, no "sudden failure of anything" was claimed, but eh, I trust naval equipment about this much, which is not really much at all.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 3, 2014

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

Like their comments thread:

Because anyone had missiles in 1932 lol

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Uhh, yes. Because PMS prevents jam from gunking up my scope on a "Aegis" suite. :jerkbag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcArnepkhv0

this is my understanding of how aegis works, how close am i?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

http://youtu.be/b3_lVSrPB6w

edit: someone else explain how Aegis is not a singular system, but a brand name for a collection of systems that allow for practically complete dominance in a warfare environment, and that SPY-1_ (the thing that most people see and associate with destroyers and cruisers) has a power output that can make birds fall out the sky fully cooked by radiofreq energy -- therefore jamming it is a comical thing because we just increase power to overcome raspberries.

Jesus I am saving that link, it owns.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Now that we've cleared up this matter, lets get to the more important topic: why the hell do you have some anime girl for your av? Since I am a kind and compassionate noble, I'm not going to make fun of you. Hopefully moker will be along shortly to do my dirty work.

Because I can't find a decent thing to turn into a big AV. :shrug: It is amazingly difficult to fit an image into 180x200 and it still look decent, I suppose i could replace it with a giant flaming skull gif or something else suitably retarded that you would see as a phone background circa mid 2000's.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pandasmores posted:

No, he knew he was going to be a Nuke, I guess he didn't know what specialty.

Doesn't change the first question :colbert:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

USMC503 posted:

Countersnipe!

Hit

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

No, reserves aren't nearly as entertaining as people making horrible choices on active.

Edit: TOTP True sniper

You didn't have a spotter, you blew up a civilian! Stand down and RTB!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Commoners posted:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

forgot the

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MancXVI posted:

Out for two weeks as of tomorrow.

Journey home status: relaxing. Saw my sister in Portland, crashed on a friend's couch in Eugene, took the 101 all the way down the coast, saw my cousin in the valley, and spent some time in LA with an old friend. Visiting a friend in SD tonight, heading to Vegas tomorrow morning.

I'm looking for poo poo to do between Vegas and DFW. Seems desolate. Any suggestions?

Your gut instinct is pretty accurate, there isn't very much at all out there.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Laranzu posted:

We had a guy fail sit ups. Literally flail around enough to give me plausible deniability and I will pass you. Sit there and whine and I can't do anything.

navypft.txt :v:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MancXVI posted:

That's adorable. You're adorable. I could just pinch your cheeks.

That's sexual harrassment, shipmate. :colbert:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

genderstomper58 posted:

the real navy is just all that retardation plus making circles in the water you arent really missin much as far a excitement goes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opU1urLhw50&t=27s

:laffo:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

cult_hero posted:

For those with experience at Sasebo, what're the recommendations for things to do? I'm heading down there for a couple weeks and looking to fill the time between the traditional bouts of drinking alone in the dark.

Well, drinking in the dark is good i hear.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pluto is the Vas of the dog world.

:vince:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

Honestly, it sounds good. I've read up on it some and think that after I get licensed I'll look to applying. Foreign ports sound awesome, std's, depression, sore joints, whatever, is easy doctoring and I get to use all these skills I've amassed over the years for the military.

What are doctors like on smaller ships? I imagine destroyers and smaller have docs aboard too. Are there circumstances where you are one of only a few doctors on board? I come from a very rigorous training program and like that level of responsibility. How often is a doctor deployed at sea? It would suck to be on a boat for only six months out of a four year stretch. I was imagining being out there a lot more than that. I'm fine working in military hospitals between deployments.

Also, how often do I get to drink scotch? Like, all day?

The doc on the Enterprise had his own private reserve in his quarters, but he was a captain. If you recieved a commission as a captain for already having your doctorate in medicine, then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to sneak some scotch on board. Now as far as being drunk while on call, dunno if that's wise really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Nope. Actual MD's are only on Carriers and larger amphibious ships. Just like on subs, CRUDES ships only have an IDC and maybe 1 or 2 junior HM's.

Also, no drinking on board. Unless you're the captain. :yarr:

MML our doc had his own little private stash of scotch in his cabin, but he was also like 60ish, a captain, and came in after getting his doctorate and was more civilian than military it seemed.

• Locked thread