Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How does someone become a doctor on a submarine? I have an MD and PhD and will be fully licensed in a year in internal medicine. I'm still wondering what to do with my life, working in a hospital can be great, but also really pointless at times. Military service has always really interested me, especially naval service. I almost joined the military, but just got on a different tack during and after college.

Are there ways for fully trained US doctors to jump into a naval career through some accelerated path? I'm in my 30s already and more years of school doesn't sound really that interesting.

What does a doc on a submarine or other warship do? How often are people sick or injured?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Working on a carrier would be pretty gratifying to me. There would certainly be a larger patient base, and the excitement of being deployed would be there. Anyone here work on one that can chime in with what it's like? Most of the posts here make navy service sound pretty lovely. I'm sure serving and being on an aircraft carrier is rewarding in some regards, right?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Honestly, it sounds good. I've read up on it some and think that after I get licensed I'll look to applying. Foreign ports sound awesome, std's, depression, sore joints, whatever, is easy doctoring and I get to use all these skills I've amassed over the years for the military.

What are doctors like on smaller ships? I imagine destroyers and smaller have docs aboard too. Are there circumstances where you are one of only a few doctors on board? I come from a very rigorous training program and like that level of responsibility. How often is a doctor deployed at sea? It would suck to be on a boat for only six months out of a four year stretch. I was imagining being out there a lot more than that. I'm fine working in military hospitals between deployments.

Also, how often do I get to drink scotch? Like, all day?

• Locked thread