Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
According to open-source, the SPY can put out 6 MW of power. Wikipedia AEGIS Combat System if anyone actually wants a basic rundown of the suite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nick Soapdish posted:

All the non-prior active duty reservists want nothing more than to be active and deploy whereas the prior want nothing more than cheap insurance and beer money.

Relatively soon to be reservist and I'm really looking forward to that beer money.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well yeah, but I think I'm going to have a lot of difficulty finding a job that's willing to let me be absent for two years while I go to school full-time. Also insurance.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I like to think of it as the Navy, being a wing of the federal government, developing new technologies. Expensive at first, some will fail, but ultimately something insanely beneficial will come from it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

What's reserve commitment for SWOs? If I get out and do a 2 year graduate program I'd like to remain in the reserves for beer-err book money.

This is what I'm doing as well. 3 year commitment with a 2 year no deployment deferral and a $10k signing bonus. Not a bad deal overall. Especially since you're still under contract to the government until your 8th year of commissioned service, even if you get out at 4 or 5.

Boon fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 18, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

cult_hero posted:

For those with experience at Sasebo, what're the recommendations for things to do? I'm heading down there for a couple weeks and looking to fill the time between the traditional bouts of drinking alone in the dark.

Sasebo doesn't seem like an exciting place, but there is a lot of cool things to do in and around the area, and Japan in general, if you're not the typical get drunk erry night sailor. My second ship was a broke-dick FFG so I spent about a month and a half there on a WESTPAC.

- Definitely buy some Chu-Hi's and jump on a train to Nagasaki and check out the Atomic Bomb museum and park. It's pretty moving and worth the time. Also don't be a dick there.

- There is a place just off base called Steak Salon. It's run by an adorable old couple and seats about 10 people total. You can tell he loves preparing his recipes, he does it very well, and you'll enjoy a great four/five course dinner. Don't leave Sasebo without trying this at least once.

- Try some Habu-Sake

- In the winter there is a lantern festival in Nagasaki - it's pretty cool.

Really, you just need to keep an ear to the ground, explore, and experience every festival and what not you can. Or you could just go to Sailor town and drink your time there away. You'll miss one more than the other though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Booblord Zagats posted:

Navy Thread continues to be the chillest service thread.

• Locked thread