Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nah you get an MSM usually as a CMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SquirrelyPSU posted:

"Unless the Papa flag is flying, gently caress you and I'll see you at mast."

I don't think they fly signal flags at hospitals.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Guys everything from RT is bullshit russian state propaganda. Don't believe a single drat thing you read from it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The extent your department head gives a gently caress about the barracks is directly proportional to the amount of poo poo your CO gives him about it. Barracks issues are almost 100% handled by the chiefs. The only concern I ever had was "do my sailors have rooms." None us of gave two fucks about the barracks beyond that because that's all that really matters.

Basically, if your department head was drug into the mess it's because the chiefs did an inspection, the report went to the CO, and he in turn bitched at your department head because of so many sailors failing. The amount he cares only extends to the amount of poo poo he gets about it. He probably just turned around and chewed out all his chiefs. They, then, chew you out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well, of course I'd be concerned if one of the guys had black mold or non-functioning facilities, but when it gets brought up to me I would immediately just go to the DLCPO or CMC and ask them "WTF?" If the goat locker is lovely enough that divos & department heads have to get hands on in barracks poo poo, something is majorly wrong.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There was a dude wearing the old school white PT shirt, jeans, and a screaming high and tight today at the mall with his kids. Likely a reservist chief or first class. Just looked so loving silly and out of place.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Snowdens Secret posted:

Pro namechange option

What's the old school white PT shirt? The one that says NAVY in silly 3Dish grey letters?

The white bullseye shirt with the logo on front and NAVY on back.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Geizkragen posted:

All this getting out and getting a job talk is kinda depressing while I sit here filling out my DH bonus contract.

I wish archives worked so I could link some of MML's posts from right after he took over as department head. My favorite was something along the lines of: there are two things I hate. ships and sailors.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Please trigger warning any future hernia discussion.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Noeland posted:

Getting glared at and protested by locals is a popular pastime for many a sailor there.

I still remember the japanese protest boats at basically every port we pulled in to. They would register with the coast guard and would stay in their restricted box. They wouldn't actually come close to the ship. They just sat back with their megaphones shouting "McCain go home!"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Do you remember when we started waving and some of them were laughing?

Yeah I think that was Sendai. Shortly thereafter you parted one of my god drat lines.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pandasmores posted:

poo poo, how do you loving tear a line? Doesn't it gently caress up the bollard too?

Yeah, bollards aren't coming off the pier for anything. The way his line parted was the pilothouse and tugs weren't communicating well. The aft tug was trying to move the ship somewhere, and SPACE HOMOS here happened to be the line captain on the affected line. Sounded like a god drat shotgun. BMC, BM1, (safety observers) and I (POIC) were up on the forecastle and basically hung our heads after the sound and the radio announcement of the parted line. I had to inspect that whole drat thing and splice a new eye on it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

We were luckily using aramid lines so there was no snapback. Someone would have probably got hurt if we were using nylon or polypropylene.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pandasmores posted:

drat, those things can kill you can't they just from the force right?

Nylon lines are absolutely the worst, but any synthetic line experiences some form of snapback. The aramid lines (Kevlar) only stretch a very small percentage of their length before parting so there is little to no snapback. Nylon lines stretch around 50% before parting and can result in violent and dismembering injuries.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Congrats! What's your rating?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That was my last job. You're divo for the EMs onboard. In addition to that, you will also be in charge of the ship's electrical safety program. It's not a terribly difficult job, but you will own a shitload of stuff and have only a handful of people to take care of it all. If you're there through an INSURV, be prepared to get an intimate understanding of every fuse box, breaker box, etc. on the ship. I may still have some old excel files I made for tracking that stuff laying around.

Depending on how the ship is laid out division wise, and whether you have gas turbines at all, you may have the GSEs work for you as well. That will mean you've got the generators as well as the electrical system under your purview. You'd probably oversee the calibration work as well.

If you're going to a nuclear ship, disregard everything I've said because I was just a conventional SWO.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

lol I'm not up on my GiP roster. What's the story with this?

I have had two inguinal hernia surgeries. One of them built up a shitload of scar tissue around it. This is pretty common, apparently. I have a nerve dead ended in that scar tissue. I stretched the scar tissue, nerve sent the signal that there is a tear, so I've felt like I ripped open a hernia for two years twenty-one days and counting. I found out recently from the surgeon that performed the original repair that if the surgeon at Tripler that diagnosed it had actually done surgery to move the nerve or kill it, I'd most likely be fine. Since he didn't, I've got the neural pathway built up and the pain isn't going anywhere. I got rated at 20% for it, given severance, and sent on my way.

tuluk posted:

Stop lying to yourself. All the longtime posters in Gip know your last Navy job was deskside, routing paperwork & being fleeced for $1400 worth of non-returnable t-shirts, while waiting for your medboard discharge to process.
:chiefsay:
Then again, this is the US Navy. Your 3 yr old job knowledge and the SWO "eat-your-young" mentality probably means nothing has actually been updated for that ELECTRO posting, and your knowledge is vital tool for new SWO's.
:chiefsay:

Hey now, it was only $1000! Either way, they were instituting the 2nd tour electro while I was finishing my first tour electro job. I think the biggest difference now is he gets a school first and he might get dumped with the GSEs as well.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 28, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

No, I knew what happened to you. I was asking about that tuluk guy Booblord was talking poo poo to.

He was referring to me, saying Tulak was sham-shaming me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well, guess I'm just an rear end in a top hat!

And I thought it was someone else who said they got struck by lightening. I dunno.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pluto is the Vas of the dog world.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

I keep hearing that same joke about Vas, but at this point I am unable to tell if it's true or not.

:ssh:its not:ssh:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Depending on experience and specialty there, MDs come in up to O-6 in rank and used to be able to get decent bonuses. I don't know the current status on the bonus stuff off the top of my head anymore because I just don't care to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I agree with what MML said. Those guys that come in as an O-6 have already been practicing for decades and are almost entirely left to their own devices to do their job. No one is going to really ever say anything to them so long as they're not doing something actually harmful.

• Locked thread