Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

It's like someone played Rifts and said, "This setting is great, but I wish the system was more like PDQ."

dwarf74 posted:

I haven't delved into it too deeply.

user name/post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

DalaranJ posted:

It's like someone played Rifts and said, "This setting is great, but I wish the system was more like PDQ."

This sounds like praise to me!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone's said that about Rifts at some point, just with a different system.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
As a recommendation for interesting local color without too much research check out atlas obscura. Great site that has a bunch of weird little known or out of the way places for any given area..

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Christ, this session started about two and a half hours ago and I think I've actually played for about 15 minutes.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Christ, this session started about two and a half hours ago and I think I've actually played for about 15 minutes.

I hope I've never run a session where someone could make a forums post in the middle of it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Two posts here and one on G+.

One hour of the "session" was the GM setting up his brand new laptop that he literally just unboxed, getting him on the wifi, and him downloading the Dungeon World pdf even though he has the actual book. I know of this because I BOUGHT IT FOR HIM AS A GIFT.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Two posts here and one on G+.

One hour of the "session" was the GM setting up his brand new laptop that he literally just unboxed, getting him on the wifi, and him downloading the Dungeon World pdf even though he has the actual book. I know of this because I BOUGHT IT FOR HIM AS A GIFT.

Jesus, this is a Dungeon World game? Eject, Mailman, eject.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

...he has the actual book. I know of this because I BOUGHT IT FOR HIM AS A GIFT.

Ya know, last week I had a conversation about why I spent $15 more to own the print copy instead of the PDF of Dungeon World. Glad to be proven right on my decision.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Smack him with the actual book until he learns. Then sever.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The GM admitted he's having a rough week (and I can respect that) and didn't really have anything planned, but a) he's not a good improvisational GM, and b) this is the only time I actually get to play anymore since my meetup group stopped doing Encounters, so I'm like "can we actually, you know, do something?".

Like, I've logged triple digits in hours running DW, but I've only actually been able to play maybe half a dozen times.

It doesn't help that we're doing a "you're all playing yourselves thrust into your characters" thing, which I really don't like. I play myself the rest of the goddamn week, thanks, this is Escapism Time now.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I'm in a bit of a similar situation with my regular group. The GM is running a "you're playing as a group of roleplayers who have taken on the roles of their characters in the forgotten realms" type game. I love the guy but he's doing absolutely nothing with the concept. We've been magically whisked into a fantasy world in these new bodies and with strange powers...and we're doing a dungeon crawl featuring what are basically random encounters from the fiend folio converted to Pathfinder. There's been no exposition, no motivation, and we don't actually know where we are in the world. We're mostly just breaking things and insulting each other.

It doesn't help that things have been dragging on and on mostly due to the guy's GMing style. He's a great roleplayer and when he runs a game he does a terrific job of coming up with interesting personalities and conversations (something sadly lacking as we have had no chance to do anything but stumble into a self-sealing dungeon). But he started playing in 2nd edition and he has a tendency I noticed of some 2e GMs to get really anal and detailed when it comes to describing in-character actions (probably as a result of the dungeon/trap design back then focusing heavily on "to find you must search area X using Y method"), but we're playing Pathfinder with a large group (about 7) so the combat drags as well...we've been bumbling around in that dungeon for months now!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

GimpInBlack posted:

Jesus, this is a Dungeon World game? Eject, Mailman, eject.

Get On With It!: When you actually get started, roll+Cha
on a 10+ people get the message
on a 7-9 describe your move and hope someome follows suit
on a miss post on TG

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

It doesn't help that we're doing a "you're all playing yourselves thrust into your characters" thing, which I really don't like. I play myself the rest of the goddamn week, thanks, this is Escapism Time now.

oriongates posted:

I'm in a bit of a similar situation with my regular group. The GM is running a "you're playing as a group of roleplayers who have taken on the roles of their characters in the forgotten realms" type game.

There's a current thread over in RPGnet's main roleplaying forum on the worst game concepts people have ever been pitched and easily a third of the thread is some variation of "so you're all playing yourselves as your characters."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

There's a current thread over in RPGnet's main roleplaying forum on the worst game concepts people have ever been pitched and easily a third of the thread is some variation of "so you're all playing yourselves as your characters."

You HAVE to link this.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ask and ye shall receive. I'd quote a sample from it but it might get mistaken for grogs.txt material.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That is incredibly disappointing to hear, given that I have literally never played in a "you are playing yourselves!" campaign that was anything but a definitive highlight of my gaming experiences. And we are talking almost a half-dozen campaigns and a few one-shots.

All the stranger, the groups I have played such games with love talking about them because it is ... like ... how do you mess this concept up? How CAN you mess it up? I am sure I am about to find out by skimming this thread.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I can see how it could get kind of awkward/vicariously embarrassing to watch people try to stat themselves in an RPG or have to do it yourself. The average RPG player, being remarkably similar to the average person, isn't really what most RPGs are designed with in mind. Add to that the fact that things which probably don't merit a second glance in a typical gaming session might acquire a drastically different context when you realize that the characters involved are, y'know, you and the other people at the table, and I can't honestly say I'd jump at the chance myself.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
I'm a really lovely person and I have no interest in being myself.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Making up new characters is fun; I don't want to skip that. When I'm running the game, getting players to do the worldbuilding by embedding character hooks into the history is useful and I don't want to lose that.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Quarex posted:

That is incredibly disappointing to hear, given that I have literally never played in a "you are playing yourselves!" campaign that was anything but a definitive highlight of my gaming experiences. And we are talking almost a half-dozen campaigns and a few one-shots.

All the stranger, the groups I have played such games with love talking about them because it is ... like ... how do you mess this concept up? How CAN you mess it up? I am sure I am about to find out by skimming this thread.

You decide to play Wraith. :twisted:

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

stoutfish posted:

I play affably loony characters to unwind after a long day of being an unmitigated rear end in a top hat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kai Tave posted:

The average RPG player, being remarkably similar to the average person,
If only.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

I once ran a game of Nobilis 3e with that concept and I got warm fuzzy feelings when my friends elected not to sell one of our (in the game, still human) friend's soul to Hell for a plot shortcut. That could have easily gone to creep town considering the premise was "you're all Nobles, the city we live in is your chancel and the inhabitants are now the chancel denizens and yes I know that means they're now your minions but work with me here".

Part of what helped as far as statting ourselves up went is that Nobilis doesn't distinguish between Skills and Passions, so everyone just statted up how much they liked their various interests and used those. At one point during the game someone had the bright idea of going down to the FLGS and getting a copy of the Nobilis rulebook in the game and he got mad use out of his "Roleplaying Games +4" passion for the rest of the session.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Kai Tave posted:

We did that once and it was fun, but mainly because it was a zombie apocalypse game that began with the premise "a bunch of nerds are playing D&D when the zombie apocalypse happens." The GM killed "himself" off in the first attack, then told us that our equipment list consisted of anything we had in our pockets, in our cars, or that we could find in his house. The rest of the game involved using Google Earth to track our escape from the suburbs of LA into the central valley.

That game worked because the premise supported the game and the GM did some interesting stuff with it, like the equipment scavenger hunt. I can absolutely see it being terrible in a "you've been teleported to the Forgotten Realms and also are a fighter now OH NOES" type of game.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

stoutfish posted:

I play as parts of my personality shattered by the prodromal schizophrenia I have...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In our case, it's bad because one of our players is taking the "I'm not doing anything dangerous because I, not my character, could get killed" route which turns everything into a struggle to actually do anything, and it's not helping that the GM is also playing himself zapped into the setting as an NPC.

e: 3 hour "session", we started with avoiding a boss fight thanks to my clever use of Artificer gizmos, and went to find an elven glade so one player could have a decent bath after messing around in Daelkyr-infested sewers. That's it.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 31, 2014

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

GimpInBlack posted:

We did that once and it was fun, but mainly because it was a zombie apocalypse game that began with the premise "a bunch of nerds are playing D&D when the zombie apocalypse happens." The GM killed "himself" off in the first attack, then told us that our equipment list consisted of anything we had in our pockets, in our cars, or that we could find in his house. The rest of the game involved using Google Earth to track our escape from the suburbs of LA into the central valley.

That game worked because the premise supported the game and the GM did some interesting stuff with it, like the equipment scavenger hunt. I can absolutely see it being terrible in a "you've been teleported to the Forgotten Realms and also are a fighter now OH NOES" type of game.

One of my group's did a Vampire campaign in a similar fashion. The GM died in the intro while the rest of the group became vampires. It went really well with the group, using pictures and floor plans of local buildings as combat maps, researching local firearm possession/carry laws, players making use of their actual work connections, etc.

It got increasingly crazy once the group kind of split into two factions that weren't always in cooperation.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
My first actually decent RPG experience was in a game where we played as ourselves as the characters playing in the city we lived in. The plot was that some group of dumbass goth kids got a hold of some supernatural elixir/mutagen/ooze stuff that was infused with pure chaos power or some poo poo like that, and decided to inject people with it to see what would happen. (why? because "come on, you know the goths around here; they'd do some dumbass thing like this.") The chargen was almost entirely random; you'd roll on an assortment of charts three times to see what you turn into and what powers you get and pick one. I ended up turning into a cyborg half-copper dragon with a set of powers that had almost no cohesion whatsoever (I think I rolled an ice beam, slow gas breath weapon, armored scales, super strength, minor shapeshifting, and voice emulation) along with a godly katana (unbreakable and dealt a huge amount of damage) that just spawned in my hand when I got injected.

It was really fun because staying in character was pretty easy to start with and character development actually happened in a fairly reasonable way most of the time. It's one of those things you really need a good group and a good GM for, but if you have it then it can be amazing.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think there's a zombie apocalypse game that provides a pretty good mechanic for making a 'you' in the game. It might have been All Flesh Must Be Eaten, but I can't recall.

I think a lot of it is tone and... well, power level. It's one thing to do things in the vein of the D&D cartoon, where the characters are competent despite not having spent years accruing XP, and there's little clear and present danger, and another to dump them into an AD&D-style meat grinder without reinforcing the fact that they do have this weirdly reflexive facility with their newly-gained class abilities-- or worse, not giving them any such facility at all.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I ran a game of D20 Modern and had everyone play as themselves. Some gun fights and other hijinks ensued and at the end of the 1st session they found out they were really in The Matrix. I had hoped to get a few sessions out of the concept, my friends told me to gently caress off.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
The only way I could play myself with any sort of honesty would be a GURPS game with unlimited disadvantages and 0 points.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Throw a curveball - everyone plays themselves, and then Final Fantasy Tactics: Advanced happens.

"Stat yourself as what you would choose to be if you could become a fantasy D&D character."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I think you mean All Flesh Must Be Eaten ; there's at least one sample adventure that's like that and wasn't terrible looking. But it was more geared towards "O god o gently caress we're all gonna die", so stats were basically You're hosed Anyway Who Cares.

With the whole idea of the meta-RPG suddenly you're in Faerun thing, an interesting spin might be making your base RPG player and then having their D&D class going on top of that. So you're a Fighter but you're also still a Chemical Engineer or whatever and can start going all Army of Darkness on that poo poo.

Still probably awful and gently caress if I have a good idea how to do it mechanically.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I mean exactly what I said. Ok I guess you can go with your idea that you even state yourself is awful, or you just have a goofy and light hearted adventure where you and your buds become elves and knights and wizards and have cool adventures in <FANTASY WORLD> and get to be heroes. Because I mean, that's an option too.

"Hey your idea is fine, but what if it was really awful and lovely???"

Why the gently caress would you do that?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Throw a curveball - everyone plays themselves, and then Final Fantasy Tactics: Advanced happens.

"Stat yourself as what you would choose to be if you could become a fantasy D&D character."

That'd have some...interesting implications for how the players stat themselves out. Or rather, how they choose to stat out everybody else.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean exactly what I said. Ok I guess you can go with your idea that you even state yourself is awful, or you just have a goofy and light hearted adventure where you and your buds become elves and knights and wizards and have cool adventures in <FANTASY WORLD> and get to be heroes. Because I mean, that's an option too.

it's what table top roleplayers deserve

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Calm your tits, hoss ; I was typing when you posted that and didn't hit preview.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davin Valkri posted:

The only way I could play myself with any sort of honesty would be a GURPS game with unlimited disadvantages and 0 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

BTRC's Timelords has you stat up and play yourself. The game starts with the players and everything in an x foot radius being dumped into another time. It was entertaining inventorying what was in that radius and trying to figure what would help us survive in 5th century Britain vs what would get us pegged as witches or something.

Also humbling because one of the other players was ex-military and hunted all his life and I'm a fat goon who can kind of read Latin but not speak it.

• Locked thread