Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Arivia posted:

Also canonically Elminster has a secret treehouse moonbase with a fridge and a Frigidaire air conditioner. Also his favourite beer is Budweiser, which he imports on his trips to Yellowstone.

We don't talk about this stuff.

Well.

Maybe you don't.

Edit: "Secret portals to Earth" would actually make FR more interesting incidentally. I THINK there was at one point an adventure that involved going through one to steal from a museum where a magical artifact somehow ended up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Why not go the other way with that portal idea? Have some guys from Earth (maybe including a wise-cracking USAF Colonel) enter the Forgotten Realms, point out all the silliness that holds the place up, and then stop an undead attack cold with P90s?

Also...you all know what my "I like this" inserts are, so I won't repeat them.

(:swoon:...)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

Edit: "Secret portals to Earth" would actually make FR more interesting incidentally. I THINK there was at one point an adventure that involved going through one to steal from a museum where a magical artifact somehow ended up.
Yeah, but portals to Earth would make FR "Not Safe Traditional Fantasy" so of course they're not going to use it.

I mean, FR has gone through how many in-setting decades since 1e and yet not had any sort of societal change or advancement?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Why not go the other way with that portal idea? Have some guys from Earth (maybe including a wise-cracking USAF Colonel) enter the Forgotten Realms, point out all the silliness that holds the place up, and then stop an undead attack cold with P90s?

Bishies?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Davin Valkri posted:

One of these days I WILL trick you or force you or something you to make you play something else.

Truefact: FR mostly annoys me due to fandom, design focus, and popularity. I mean Greyhawk is just as generically high fantasy and nobody that matters cares about it at all, so it doesn't really annoy me too much, but FR is everywhere. At times I feel like FR's setting isn't so much a setting as it is a semi-blank slate to push your adventures on - which is not a bad thing! - but then that gets ruined by realmslore realmslore realmslore realmslore. I enjoyed Ye Olde Baldur's Gate games but it was never because the setting was interesting, I never played Neverwinter or the first Neverwinter Nights, and frankly NWN2 was just all the blandness I've kinda come to expect. NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer was great, but it was great because they made up most of it and axed a lot of REALMSLORE to make it happen.

Basically FR is too much of a novel setting and not enough of a game setting. The only times it really grabs my interests, I then find out it discarded a bunch of the actual setting canon to do so.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
brb casting a magic spell in Breakfast Cult to make Davin's character a ripped as gently caress lady

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

Ben Baugh actually sort-of made a setting called The Long Stairs that's pretty much that. After the atomic bomb tests in the Nevada desert in the 60's, a portal is ripped through realities that leads to a megadungeon. The US government sends in the military to investigate so you've got GIs dungeoncrawling and dealing with first contact with undead, orcs, and gelatinous cubes.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ettin posted:

brb casting a magic spell in Breakfast Cult to make Davin's character a ripped as gently caress lady

Turn it into a Free! anime, except Davin is explicitly disallowed from making a bishie.

Break him.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Remember that stupid thread where a bunch of TG people tried to get fit and I got this custom title from not posting my success correctly? It got me to take my PT seriously and a lot of time and a surgery later...

Today is my 1 year anniversary of not walking with a cane.

Thanks forums?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Turn it into a Free! anime, except Davin is explicitly disallowed from making a bishie.

Break him.

I can make the girl in that one, given that she explicitly drools over the shirtless swimmers she's surrounded by. Really, that'd just be an excuse to make my fanboying explicit instead of implicit.

(Hmm...Gou "Kou" Matsuoka the Mortal, Haruka Nanase the Selkie...Yu Narukami the Queen...Shinji Ikari the Chosen?)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, but portals to Earth would make FR "Not Safe Traditional Fantasy" so of course they're not going to use it.

I mean, FR has gone through how many in-setting decades since 1e and yet not had any sort of societal change or advancement?

Gunpowder in 2e, the Sothilissian Empire at the end of 2e/beginning of 3e, King Foril of Cormyr signing an equivalent to the magna carta in 4e. Oh, and the Retreat ending/the resurrection of the City of Hope and the return of Cormanthyr throughout 2e and 3e.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I thought gunpowder only worked for one specific god specifically to ensure it doesn't change the setting?

Also hah hah everything from 4e is being retconned out.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look all this talk about the details of FR keeps missing the main thrust which is FR sucks :smug:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Xiahou Dun posted:

Remember that stupid thread where a bunch of TG people tried to get fit and I got this custom title from not posting my success correctly? It got me to take my PT seriously and a lot of time and a surgery later...

Thanks forums?

The one good thing out of that bad thread. Congratulations.

Also, the fact that Elminster's favorite beer is Budweiser is somehow perfectly representative of Forgotten Realms as a whole.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

I thought gunpowder only worked for one specific god specifically to ensure it doesn't change the setting?

Nope! There's basically a conspiracy among a bunch of lawful power players to keep it secret and controlled so the social order doesn't get upset, but anyone can make it - it was a secret, but you tempt one Gondsman with a pretty gee-gaw and well...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ettin posted:

Please don't steal my character ideas, tia.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
This may be a little selfish, as I am one of the parties involved, but the inaugural Design Duel has begun. Watch OG superstar Mikan and me duke it out trying to make the best MMO-inspired tabletop game possible.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Asymmetrikon posted:

This may be a little selfish, as I am one of the parties involved, but the inaugural Design Duel has begun. Watch OG superstar Mikan and me duke it out trying to make the best MMO-inspired tabletop game possible.

Can you ask Mikan why they left SA? I'm still trying to figure that one out. Is this place not good enough for Mikan's divine design skills?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Thanks forums?

This got drowned out by all the talk of bad settings, so congrats!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Thanks forums?

That's awesome! Serious props to you.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Thanks forums?
That's awesome and congratulations! I remember asking about that thread a while back for my own health reasons and everyone telling me to not bother, so I'm glad someone got use out of it.

Arivia posted:

Gunpowder in 2e, the Sothilissian Empire at the end of 2e/beginning of 3e, King Foril of Cormyr signing an equivalent to the magna carta in 4e. Oh, and the Retreat ending/the resurrection of the City of Hope and the return of Cormanthyr throughout 2e and 3e.
I fully admit I don't pay close (or even far) attention to FR, so I guess it had more going on than I though. It just feels like every time I look at new material it's still generic knights-and-swords-and-elves fantasy.

I guess I've just been spoiled by Eberron and the Discworld. :(

ProfessorCirno posted:

Well duh. Gotta get the grogs back into the fold! Don't want to admit that maybe change was okay!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah, the Realms is still pretty swords and elves and knights and stuff but when you actually look into it the underpinnings of the setting are more conspiracies and cold wars and secret horrors stuff. A static Realms with just dungeons and monsters to kill is a really really boring one.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Also some of the 4e changes were really good. Like replacing the horribly racist Maztica with a rad rebellion against dragons continent designed by Ed himself was a Good Idea. It fits really well and as long as you account for some of the minor effects of the Maztica expeditions on Faerun (like the introductions of chocolate and how Amn made a giant mess of itself) then I'd go ahead and drop it in any FR game going back to 2e.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Xiahou Dun posted:

Thanks forums?

Congrats!

...I'm also still working out on a semi-regular basis after that thread inspired me to get started, so :hfive: for sticking with stuff.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Fun fact - this is still technically Realms canon, as Elminster has a portal to Literally Ed Greenwood's house where they can hang out and share beers and are best buds.

No. Really.

Someday I will use this as a plothook in an Unknown Armies game. Breaking into Ed Greenwood's house and heisting Elminster's loving spellbooks so you can do magic without loving your life up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Doodmons posted:

Someday I will use this as a plothook in an Unknown Armies game. Breaking into Ed Greenwood's house and heisting Elminster's loving spellbooks so you can do magic without loving your life up.

I can see a small town in rural Ontario working well for that, yep.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I was thinking a Delta Green game where supernatural occurrences lead your team to one such portal and you have to chase an otherworldly horror through to Faerun.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Sagan posted:

I was thinking a Delta Green game where supernatural occurrences lead your team to one such portal and you have to chase an otherworldly horror through to Faerun.

And make it a malaugrym and woops here we gooooo

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Does anyone know of a good PDF viewer for someone with visual impairment? I've found VIP PDF and it allows for text size adjustment but it seems to choke on some of the White Wolf PDFs.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Doodmons posted:

There's a Bibliomancer spell in Unknown Armies that lets you use the skills of a character in a book. The examples are like "Sherlock Holmes' investigation ability, James Bond's persuasiveness". When we were new to the game one of my players asked if he could do "magic like Gandalf", and I still don't know what the right answer would have been.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Kellsterik posted:

There's a Bibliomancer spell in Unknown Armies that lets you use the skills of a character in a book. The examples are like "Sherlock Holmes' investigation ability, James Bond's persuasiveness". When we were new to the game one of my players asked if he could do "magic like Gandalf", and I still don't know what the right answer would have been.

"Yes, you can summon giant eagles if you can find a moth to talk to, and get a +2 bonus against balrogs."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kellsterik posted:

The correct answer is "let him do it, then have Sleepers and TNI agents descend like locusts on him."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kellsterik posted:

That's easy, he's only a 5th level magic user.
http://kuoi.org/~kamikaze/RPG/gandalf.txt

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
So my game store of choice closed down and I'm left with really two options. One is an absolute hole in the wall that I'll never set foot in again, and the other is some weird store right down the street from me that I've never noticed because it's down a side street. I'm looking on their schedule of events and I see:

Sunday: Draft @ 3pm ($15), Munchkin from 6 to 8 pm ($1 entry for 4 games)

I'm a bit frightened now.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Just don't be there between 6 and 8 PM and you should be fine.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Darksaber posted:

So my game store of choice closed down and I'm left with really two options. One is an absolute hole in the wall that I'll never set foot in again, and the other is some weird store right down the street from me that I've never noticed because it's down a side street. I'm looking on their schedule of events and I see:

Sunday: Draft @ 3pm ($15), Munchkin from 6 to 8 pm ($1 entry for 4 games)

I'm a bit frightened now.

Paying to play Munchkin? Really?

Paying to play any board game, really. My LGS has a board game night every Monday where they open their closet of games (which is huge) and just let people play for free from 6 to 10.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Thanks!

I just thought it was kind of cool that the internet helped make me not handicapped.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Thomamelas posted:

Does anyone know of a good PDF viewer for someone with visual impairment? I've found VIP PDF and it allows for text size adjustment but it seems to choke on some of the White Wolf PDFs.

I use Foxit reader for almost everything. It lets you mess with the zoom pretty easily and it can switch things to plain text on a white background to get around White Wolf style ornate fonts and distracting backgrounds. Maybe it would help?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Sionak posted:

I use Foxit reader for almost everything. It lets you mess with the zoom pretty easily and it can switch things to plain text on a white background to get around White Wolf style ornate fonts and distracting backgrounds. Maybe it would help?

That might. The VIP Reader does a lot of it but the Demon PDF and a couple of the other PDFs just seem to kill it. And it doesn't handle the text formatting well. Hopefully Foxit will do a better job. And hopefully one day White Wolf will magically lose all of those fonts they use for the fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I'll also chime in for Foxit Reader, I switched when I realized my Adobe was hogging all the RAM.

• Locked thread