Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I also use Foxit and have had good experiences with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Arivia posted:

Also canonically Elminster has a secret treehouse moonbase with a fridge and a Frigidaire air conditioner. Also his favourite beer is Budweiser, which he imports on his trips to Yellowstone.

We don't talk about this stuff.

That singlehandedly makes Forgotten Realms worth playing AND explains the name!

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Davin Valkri posted:

I can make the girl in that one, given that she explicitly drools over the shirtless swimmers she's surrounded by. Really, that'd just be an excuse to make my fanboying explicit instead of implicit.

(Hmm...Gou "Kou" Matsuoka the Mortal, Haruka Nanase the Selkie...Yu Narukami the Queen...Shinji Ikari the Chosen?)

Winson_Paine please modchallenge Davin Valkri to make his next app some ripped, ugly, scarfaced meatslab motherfucker, tia.

Even if it's for an anime game. Especially if it's for an anime game. Like, everyone else is an ambiguously-gendered visual kei character, and he's literally Mickey Rourke cast in his role as Marv from Sin City.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Winson_Paine please modchallenge Davin Valkri to make his next app some ripped, ugly, scarfaced meatslab motherfucker, tia.

Even if it's for an anime game. Especially if it's for an anime game.

So, Armstrong from Full Metal Alchemist or Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising Revengance?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Davin Valkri posted:

So, Armstrong from Full Metal Alchemist or Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising Revengance?

Both are acceptable, but the latter is also worth extra credit for each bishie you punt like a football.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Davin Valkri posted:

I feel like the former is still kind of an edge case, honestly

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Sigh...I suppose I could find a game where a nanomachine resurrected Chesty Puller would be an acceptable option. Wielding a flamethrower with a bayonet duct-taped to the nozzle end. Or something.

(Seriously, though, where did this challenge come out from?!)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Davin Valkri posted:

I want to make a character based on FMA Armstrong so drat bad now.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Spincut posted:

Paying to play Munchkin? Really?

Paying to play any board game, really. My LGS has a board game night every Monday where they open their closet of games (which is huge) and just let people play for free from 6 to 10.

Honestly if it was a buck for two hours, it wouldn't be a bad way to meet people; just treat it like a nerdy mixer. Only getting four games though, that's robbery.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Honestly if it was a buck for two hours, it wouldn't be a bad way to meet people; just treat it like a nerdy mixer. Only getting four games though, that's robbery.

My LGS charges for time/event, but gives you the equivalent value in gift cards for the store. They sell drinks and snacks too. That seems like the best way to go, I think.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I cannot count how many times nerds have asked me "so which NPC was your fetish insert?" thanks to that comic.

Late to this party, but none of my NPCs are fetish inserts. :smaug:

If I used them as NPCs I wouldn't get to play them as PCs. :unsmigghh:

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Has anybody actually playhed any of these games that Mikan and RublehookEavily are promoting on G+ today?

drat, the typing, crazy.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Someone's played Treasure Hunters because the contest it was in mandated playtesting, so there's that. (It's by forums poster Bahamut in case you're wondering.)

And for those wondering.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

dwarf74 posted:

I want to make a character based on FMA Armstrong so drat bad now.

In 4e, Cosmic and Draconic sorcerers add their Strength mods to spell damage and AC, while genasi wizards can take a feat to add their strength mod to damage of their elemental spells, so you can punch lightning at people and block swords with your abs if you're a sorcerer.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LightWarden posted:

In 4e, Cosmic and Draconic sorcerers add their Strength mods to spell damage and AC, while genasi wizards can take a feat to add their strength mod to damage of their elemental spells, so you can punch lightning at people and block swords with your abs if you're a sorcerer.
You know, I always forget about Strength-based Sorcerers. Good call!

BRB, making characters

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

You know, I always forget about Strength-based Sorcerers. Good call!

BRB, making characters

Draconic works better; cosmic is ok at highlevel but Draconic works out of the bag. First time I played as one first encounter I crit hit with the 6d6 damage daily instantly killing the guy we were fighting so the DM ruled I punched their heart out of their chest. Best character I've ever played.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Muscle wizards are my fetish insert.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Plus Draconic Sorc works nice and well with Dragonborn, so you can be a fire or whatever breathing lightning punching dragonman!

There are few things more rad.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man fetish inserts are out, G+ tradgame spotlights are in! Get with the times chump :smugbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Esser-Z posted:

Plus Draconic Sorc works nice and well with Dragonborn, so you can be a fire or whatever breathing lightning punching dragonman!

There are few things more rad.

I played as an acolyte of the squat, believing that the duty of a muscle sorcerer was to help bear the burdens of the world and use their workouts to heal others. His lightning breath was just weakness leaving the body and entering those who opposed making a sick world swole.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Barudak posted:

I played as an acolyte of the squat, believing that the duty of a muscle sorcerer was to help bear the burdens of the world and use their workouts to heal others. His lightning breath was just weakness leaving the body and entering those who opposed making a sick world swole.

Tangent: Blackguard is the only class that makes roleplaying temporary hit points fun.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

ErichZahn posted:

That singlehandedly makes Forgotten Realms worth playing AND explains the name!

In Dragon Magazine, Ed Greenwood would write short stories about how Elminster would host parties for Mordenkainen from Greyhawk and Dalamar from Dragonlance - at Ed Greenwood's house - where they all would eat ice cream and discuss "the Raistlin problem" and their hot new interns and poo poo.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Any ideas/plans for a May contest, or is that already a thing and i somehow missed it?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

P.d0t posted:

Any ideas/plans for a May contest, or is that already a thing and i somehow missed it?

Let's make may the official month of finishing projects started for previous contests. I still feel bad about not producing a playable Snakes & Ladders based on Catch-22.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
May contest: spring cleaning, all entries have to be projects that have already been worked on (post your current drafts right at the beginning so everyone can see your secret shame), get your half-baked projects finished and out of the garage before your spouse donates them to the Goodwill.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Reposting from Auspol:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

May contest: spring cleaning, all entries have to be projects that have already been worked on (post your current drafts right at the beginning so everyone can see your secret shame), get your half-baked projects finished and out of the garage before your spouse donates them to the Goodwill.

Times like this, I lament the fact that I basically have one game that I've been working on forever, and I just finished a big rewrite. I just need to stress test it now.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

ProfessorCirno posted:

The problem is you wouldn't want to mix with the kind of person who would pay to play Munchkin. Also in 2 hours you'd be lucky to get 2 games done, let alone 4.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

MartianAgitator posted:

In Dragon Magazine, Ed Greenwood would write short stories about how Elminster would host parties for Mordenkainen from Greyhawk and Dalamar from Dragonlance - at Ed Greenwood's house - where they all would eat ice cream and discuss "the Raistlin problem" and their hot new interns and poo poo.

What is the "Raistlin problem"? I have an idea who Raistlin is (that wizard bad guy from that place where dragons are self-segregating) but I've never heard of a particular "problem" with him. Is it the general "wizards who are too powerful completely break narratives" thing or something else?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, he had an authority problem, and in one particular uture he sort of killed the gods and took over a dead Krynn.

He gave wizarding a pretty bad name, is what I'm saying.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Hey, it's my birthday today! Happy Birthday to me, Dwayne Johnson, David Beckham, and Lily Allen! For my birthday, my computer decided to break my wireless card for me, probably in an ill-fated attempt to break my Dark Souls 2 addiction. Thanks, computer! :toot:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

ImpactVector posted:

The problem is you wouldn't want to mix with the kind of person who would pay to play Munchkin. Also in 2 hours you'd be lucky to get 2 games done, let alone 4.

Munchkin is plenty of fun, and paying a buck to spend two hours playing a silly elf card game and meet people is fine. I'm kinda glad you'd never do that, because it means I never have to worry about meeting you.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Davin Valkri posted:

What is the "Raistlin problem"? I have an idea who Raistlin is (that wizard bad guy from that place where dragons are self-segregating) but I've never heard of a particular "problem" with him. Is it the general "wizards who are too powerful completely break narratives" thing or something else?

I'm not sure that we need to put the loving Dragonlance books' plot in spoilers but Raistlin is the best wizard because he took wizarding to its only logical conclusion, cast down the gods and murdered the planet.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"The Raistlin problem" is called "The Drizzt problem" these days. Basically, a character becomes so popular they start popping up a lot, including in official material, until the setting becomes inextricably bound to that character and the canon starts to warp around their every move and action. They become omnipresent, there at all major events, possibly the prime movers and drivers of major events, and their legacy casts a long shadow even after they're officially gone.

Yes, D&D fantasy writers think having popular characters that connect directly to their setting and who become major movers in it without pissing off the fans is a problem that has to be solved. They want fewer Raistlins and more Elminsters.

e: The other Raistlin Problem for games is everyone naming their character after the popular one, but that's another story.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Rulebook Heavily posted:

"The Raistlin problem" is called "The Drizzt problem" these days. Basically, a character becomes so popular they start popping up a lot, including in official material, until the setting becomes inextricably bound to that character and the canon starts to warp around their every move and action. They become omnipresent, there at all major events, possibly the prime movers and drivers of major events, and their legacy casts a long shadow even after they're officially gone.

Yes, D&D fantasy writers think having popular characters that connect directly to their setting and who become major movers in it without pissing off the fans is a problem that has to be solved. They want fewer Raistlins and more Elminsters.

From what I've heard (just on this forum :shobon:), Elminster sounds largely the same, though? In terms of "everything in the setting links back to them in some way or another", at least.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Eh, a single character's omnipresence in a setting that's supposed to be shared across multiple authors is, if nothing else, a logistical problem. If every author's got to deal with one character getting in everyone's hair, that's a pain.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, but the difference is that Ed Greenwood likes Elminster and a lot of people hate that fucker and don't name their characters after him.

It's a silly problem. They should totally run with characters being popular, go Full Wolverine on that poo poo.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean Greyhawk is just as generically high fantasy and nobody that matters cares about it at all, so it doesn't really annoy me too much,

I'm going to MAKE SOME ENEMIES but Greyhawk is by far the most aggressively boring D&D setting. Only the parts of it that touch of the history of the Suel are even remotely interesting.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
And while it makes perfect sense that the first (well, second) campaign world might not be the most particularly interesting, particularly given its origins, that does not mean you have to like it. Though I imagine we would view Greyhawk a lot more fondly if it had been the setting for any computer games.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm going to MAKE SOME ENEMIES but Greyhawk is by far the most aggressively boring D&D setting.
Oh my god this. It's the most generic sword & sorcery setting I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm going to MAKE SOME ENEMIES but Greyhawk is by far the most aggressively boring D&D setting. Only the parts of it that touch of the history of the Suel are even remotely interesting.
Greyhawk isn't the most aggressively boring setting for the mere fact that it has elements that will cause your average D&D grognards to burst into flames.
EDIT:
I actually like Greyhawk better because its quite readily evident that it isn't uptight about the what D&D is and that is a really goofy game to play.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 3, 2014

• Locked thread