Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It would have been a few years back, but I remember someone posting a birth order or birth legitimacy table from HM that had an entry for 'product of rape'. When someone asked on the official or close-enough boards if that was really necessary, the explosion of indignant grog was foul enough to be smelled from space.

It reminded me of people I knew who played Human Occupied Landfill straight, mashed up with a DM who swore up and down that the Forgotten Realms was the Middle Ages. The jokes kind of lost something when I realized there were people who took them seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

I know this story, it's actually the opposite of what you think. In the real world middle ages, obviously there were no women in power so this dude just removed all the ladies. I think some turned into shrieking harpy stereotypes instead?

Yeah, that's the one. Dude had a magical relationship with his mother... and every other woman who met him.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Libertad! posted:

I tried searching for this very thread many months ago, but apparently the thread was deleted or you had to join first or something. Care to elaborate on the specifics, or is it exactly what I imagine it to be?

From what I remember, someone was pointing out a cluster of birth order and legitimacy tables in HM5. Very 1E AD&D, Verisimilitude and Simulation and Wacky Random Rolls are King stuff. I think the legitimacy table had percentile ranges for born in and out of wedlock, straight-up illegitimacy, and down at the bottom there was a narrow range for 'product of rape'. There were racial modifiers, if I'm recalling correctly, which made the mothers of half-orcs rape victims more often than not.

While 1E had some goofy systems regarding sexuality, like the (in)famous random harlot table, it was a product of the mid-Seventies, HM's supposedly a satire on the system as a whole, not a slavish reproduction of geeky less-than-sensibilities. Of course, when someone suggested that the 'rape' entry could be excised for taste and sensitivity, and left to the imagination, the official boards exploded. Accusations of political correctness, appeals to 'accuracy', all of that jowl-shaking stuff.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Mornington Crescent: the Arriving

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

bunnielab posted:

Maybe I am just a fussy old man but I would loving love to play through "Pool of Radiance". The Gold Box game was the first "deep" video game I played as a kid and it has always held a special place in my heart. Last year when I decided to get back into gaming the module was the first thing I downloaded and reread. I am sure my hard copy is still somewhere in my parent's attic, but I haven't yet been brave enough to explore and find it.

My group did that over the course of the last year; our DM and I both bought copies of the module for hopeful use as a hint book for the game way back in the day. We dealt with the big bad and have gone on to other things, but Phlan is still our base of operations. :)

Unrelated, it looks like the Amarillo Design Bureau may be headed for a pratfall. They've got a simple Awful Green Things-like game set in the engineering section of a Klingon cruiser, Klingons eradicating an infestation of tribbles with the help of... a ship's cat. The map is a simple sheet of paper, the tribbles are tiny craft store pom-poms... and the player pieces are pewter Klingons. Given the cost of tooling moulds and casting, that last seems like an absurd expense for what is almost guaranteed to be a boutique game at best. Their plans seem to be to Kickstart it, which should hopefully keep them from taking a bath on it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I might have said it before, but the original GURPS Autoduel rules weren't too bad. They were drastically simplified from Car Wars proper, but we had a ton of fun driving around arenas drawn on loose-leaf paper and hopping out of our cars to do things on foot. The more recent edition is godawful, since instead of a simple, modular design system, they use a subset of those sprawling vehicle construction rules that demand hours and a previously prepped spreadsheet to get anything out of.

I've played the old FASA Star Trek game, and tried to play a proper campaign of Mechwarrior a few times, but flying a ship felt more like sitting in a fantasy inn that shakes and makes funny noises, and once we got in the mechs, the mechwarrior sheets felt superfluous.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I agree entirely, SALT CURES HAM, I was just relating my experiences. For the Trek game, we bolted the old FASA tabletop rules to Starfleet Battles, and ruled that good rolls on character skills would translate into bonuses in the SFB combat system. We used props and rearranged the GM's basement into a 'bridge' mockup in a proto-LARP thingy, which was silly, but fun.

If we had better systems it would have been fantastic, but both systems were wedded to reams of numbers and things could bog down fast. SFB itself probably could be put to that kind of troupe in a truck play with a bit of tweaking, since everything is driven by allocating energy to various systems turn-by-turn. Have the captain player make executive decisions about energy production and allocation, and hand X, Y and Z amounts off to the appropriate players to do the grunt work with.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's a twofer: Monte Cook fails to effectively grasp both the Dying Earth and storygames.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Deadlands, Masterbook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think there's a zombie apocalypse game that provides a pretty good mechanic for making a 'you' in the game. It might have been All Flesh Must Be Eaten, but I can't recall.

I think a lot of it is tone and... well, power level. It's one thing to do things in the vein of the D&D cartoon, where the characters are competent despite not having spent years accruing XP, and there's little clear and present danger, and another to dump them into an AD&D-style meat grinder without reinforcing the fact that they do have this weirdly reflexive facility with their newly-gained class abilities-- or worse, not giving them any such facility at all.

• Locked thread