Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, you could go for an audio or video rulebook. Learning the rules is literally a recorded game tutorial that takes you through making a character and a recorded test of all the major rules systems.

If you wanted to be really innovative, you could go for an interactive program to help teach it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kellsterik posted:

What's a good way to get a mixed bag of like 15-20 pre-painted minis suitable for fantasy city adventuring? Mostly humanoids like city guards, bandits, nobles, and a few more unique characters.

Lego toy castle sets.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Y'know, this is a version of redoing the future shard that sounds really good to me, leagues better than the 1940s-and-the-take-over-the-nazis one from the card game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Zerilan posted:

What are some rpgs aside from Castle Falkenstein that use cards as their system of resolution or as a major part of their game mechanics?

Retrocausality.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

From all accounts, they play it entirely straight and don't make fun of it or anything.

Which is good, because really, how can you improve on perfection?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ProfessorCirno posted:

Also shortly after 4th, the company Paizo basically copied 3.x directly and resold it as Pathfinder.

The reason this could happen, as a note, is because Wizards of the Coast made the decision to release the "Open Game License" which basically gave away freely the right to copy the rules and wording of 3.x, at least as they legally defined their System Reference Document, which didn't include a number of more iconic critters (and some weird other things) but did include a ton of other stuff.

The point of this was, at least in the words of one guy involved, to try and drive other systems out of the marketplace by flooding it with supplements from third parties and generally make it very easy to use the D&D ruleset and build brand awareness for D&D and d20 and not other games.

It was also, in hindsight, a phenomenally bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, I like history and travel reading in general, but one of the tricks is finding an author whose work highlights stuff that is interesting, entertaining and useful. My favorite for this is Tahir Shah, who's done some really great stuff on India, Morocco, Ethiopia and Peru, just to name the ones I can recall off the top of my head. In general, though, I find that it's valuable to look for travel and history books that present a narrative of events rather than just facts. By making a narrative out of history (or, in the case of travel books, of the writer's travels), the author is forced to focus on things that will keep a reader's interest.

Funnily enough, these same things are often the things that PCs will be most interested in.

To pull an example from the author I mentioned, Tahir Shah - his travel book on India, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, focuses on his study under one of the best stage magicians in India, especially a portion where that guy sent him out to talk to the miracle-men of India to learn their tricks. It's a whirlwind tour of Indian con artists, religious leaders, black markets and underclasses, but one of the things that stuck out to me was a set piece he presents - a train renowned for thieves, in which the author is robbed blind by a pair of con artists who pose as travelers warning him about other con artists on the train.

This in and of itself isn't really an adventure, of course, but a train of thieves is a great set piece and one that I wish I had an appropriate game to use it with.

• Locked thread