Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Drone_Fragger posted:

I wish every loving boomer was dead for propagating this bullshit that home ownership is an investment rather than a place to loving live.

It's just about making money without having to work, i.e. what literally everyone dreams of. The system is broken, but since everyone looks out for number one, it's really not worthwhile to go pointing fingers, "why weren't you more altruistic?".

I think there's some sort of parallels to be drawn to the development of agriculture post-industrialisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Zephro posted:

There's also the point that a lot of these are temporary solutions. A houseshare is fine when you're 25 and single; it's harder to make it work when you're 33 and married with a kid.

I've been talking about this a lot since moving back to Finland from London. Over here people will pay 700-800 euros for a studio flat within walking distance of the city centre, which is pretty rough if you're on minimum wage. So interestingly you actually have a better quality of life in London if you share a house with like six other people, renting a room as big as a studio flat here, for less money. Like I know guys who make serious money, are on a serious career path, and they live in some grimy terraced house in Brockley with seven others. But then over here in Finland barely anyone but totally skint students or hippies share a house, so it's a really marginal option. I think it shows well how Londoners adapt to the absolutely ridiculous housing market, adjusting their lifestyle in a way that in many other cities would be considered unacceptable.

• Locked thread