Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

big scary monsters posted:

Airports are weird. I don't think all that many people have a couple of beers with their croissant at half five in the morning even in Glasgow, but in the airport lounge today it seems to be the standard breakfast.

Could it be that the EU is to blame??

Airports are magical, liminal areas that exist outside of local time and space, in which stuff like 'drinking at half five in the morning' is perfectly normal. That's why they're fun places to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

KKKlean Energy posted:

If there's a big problem with missed appointments, then the best solution is a guilt-tripping program (my dentist uses this). It goes like this: the day before, ring up the patient and ask them if they are still intending to make the appointment, and ask them to let the care centre know if they're unable to make it. If they miss an appointment, ring them up and ask them why they missed it and why they didn't inform the care centre, whether they'd like a new appointment (chances are it's a yes) followed up with a polite request to not miss it this time or at least inform them if they can't. Guilt: tripped.

Not only is it effective but it's incredibly cheap to run: all it takes is a string of phone-calls that a secretary could do, there's no guilt recovery process, no financial admin, and no appeal process to manage and adjudicate.

This may work great for smaller departments or practices, but (for example) repeatedly calling the volume of people we book every day in the physio department I work at would be completely unrealistic. We get plenty of DNAs without contact, and it's almost certainly because their niggly lower back pain or whatever goes away a few weeks after they see the doctor, but we then just discharge them straight off. A lot of people get cross about that when they call up a month later and find they have to go back to the start of the waiting list, but it's the only way we can manage our vastly over-subscribed and under-staffed service (and even then it's still slowly falling apart under increasing referral numbers and staff cutbacks).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

KKKlean Energy posted:

Well even in a small department, the secretary is probably already over-worked. It's not a program that can be neatly slotted into existing work-schedules, it would almost certainly require additional staff or longer working hours. But I'm only suggesting it as an alternative to all the admin involved in issuing fines, chasing them up, processing the financials etc. If your place of work had to do one or the other, which is the most practical?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely wasn't arguing for charging which, you're right, would take up just as much or more time and also involve a lot more departments and hassle. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the calling the patient before, during and after the appointment thing, but it'd take (in my office, for instance) at least an extra ten office staff. Which we'll never, ever, ever get.

Of course, I'd like to pick the third option, which is 'provide us with more staff and facilities, you bastards, and accept that there are always going to be DNAs and they're not our fault, also they give our overworked physios time to actually write notes', but I'd also like a solid gold telephone.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

SybilVimes posted:

Pretty sure that texting reminders for your appointments is a feature of System One, and while it's probably not as effective as a personal call, I bet it increases the number of people that attend - the only DNA I've done (assuming we discount ones where I call as soon as possible to say that I can't attend the appointment) was where I got the date wrong on a dietician appointment, so got the 'why aren't you here?' call from her at the time of the appointment.

Of course, System One is specific to this area, and I don't think there's any plan to roll it out nationwide.

I've had a GP that did the call before/after thing before, and I always felt like I was being accused of being a bad patient (I almost died of shame the one DNA I mentioned above, which was with a different GP anyway, so I go out of my way to not be even 1 minute late, etc). That GP was far ahead of the norm though, had electronic automatic patient call in the waiting room, online booking, etc etc 10 years ago.

We don't have System One (we will soon, thank god) but we do have a text reminder service. It doesn't seem to have helped much. To be fair, in the area I work language barriers are often a problem, which probably contributes to the issue. If the only info you get is written instructions, by letter or text, in English, then there's more of a chance you'll forget or not understand.

Also, looks like the Skull Cracker's robbed a Chelsea Building Society down my road. Exciting stuff. Lotta cop choppers about.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Why should there be any irony in covering up fascist propaganda? :confused:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bozza posted:

Nobody in the world is ever going to call it this, what the gently caress is this.

Hopefully this will be as sucessful as the St. James' Park renaming.

The marketing folks don't give a gently caress if people say it or not, though. It'll be on every surface in the place, on every bit of documentation, every staff member will have to repeat it, and it'll work by sheer saturation. Adverts even work slightly better on people who think they're wise to them

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

EvilGenius posted:

Multiculturalism is wonderful, and all Brits should be proud that their own culture is open enough and strong enough to absorb and merge ideas.

It's just sheer arrogance to see it as a bad thing. I don't know else to describe it. It assumes you and your culture (whatever that is) are infallible and don't need updating and improving.

Unfortunately people who believe this (and they do) don't consider it arrogance or chauvinism, they consider it straight up, unequivocal fact. I know several people who genuinely, 100% believe that Britain is and always has been the greatest culture in the world. They don't necessarily have anything against other cultures, but they at best pale in comparison.

Past a certain point, I've no idea how to get through to them what an incredible coincidence it is that they just happened to have been born in The Greatest Nation of All Time.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

BastardySkull posted:

I know there are some Banks fans in here. I've put the work I did inspired by his Culture novels on to Redbubble. Proceeds will go to Safe Space, a charity helping survivors of sexual violence of which Banks was a patron.

Check it out here http://www.redbubble.com/people/lukejfrost/collections/289653-the-culture-fanart

Your art's loving amazing, and when I move out (to a place that's a little more poster friendly) in a couple months either your picture of Sursamen or the GSV will definitely end up on the wall.

EDIT: actually, Culture Drones is also pretty nice and minimalistic.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

quote:

'The richest people in Britain have had an astonishing year', says rich list compiler'

Britain's richest people are wealthier than ever before, with a combined fortune of £518.975bn, according to this year's Sunday Times rich list.

Amid talk of the "squeezed middle", the 1,000 richest Britons now own the equivalent of a third of the nation's gross domestic product (GDP), with their combined wealth rising 15.4% on last year's total of £449.654bn.

A minimum of £85m is needed to even be considered for the list this year – compared to £80m in 2008, at the height of the pre-crash boom and £75m last year.

To get into the top 500, the rich need £190m – double the £80m required in 2004 and up £30m from the £160 million cut off point for last year's list.

Philip Beresford, who has compiled the ranking since 1989, said: "I've never seen such a phenomenal rise in personal wealth as the growth in the fortunes of Britain's 1,000 richest people over the past year.

"The richest people in Britain have had an astonishing year.

"While some may criticise them, many of these people are at the heart of the economy and their success brings more jobs and more wealth for the country."

Most distinguished among the old money names, the Queen had a sterling year as she added £10m to her personal fortune and is now ranked 285 with £330m.

Well-established rich list millionaires such as Jamie and Jools Oliver saw their worth go up by £90m to £240m, ranking them at 396, as the celebrity chef's restaurant chain, TV appearances, cookbook sales and Jool's childrenswear range continued to pay dividends.

South African insurance tycoon Douw Steyn, the money behind the wild success of the meerkat TV advertising campaign for comparethemarket.com, saw his wealth go up by £50m to a total of £600m, ranked 170.

Former Tesco boss Sir Terry Leahy, who stepped down at the supermarket chain in 2011, was among the new entrants with a worth of £100m, ranking at 863.

The digital economy also showed its growing purchasing power as four members of King Digital Entertainment, which is behind the addictive Candy Crash game, joined the list for the first time too.

They include entrepreneur Mel Morris, who came in at 238 with a £430m fortune, and King's chief executive Riccardo Zacconi, ranked 271 with £354m.

The masterminds behind best-seller computer game Grand Theft Auto, Rockstar Games supremos and brothers Sam and Dan Houser, were new entries at 947 with a joint fortune of £90m.

Last week it was announced that the list's compilers had found that the number of billionaires living in Britain has risen to more than 100 for the first time.

Some 104 billionaires are now based in the UK – more than triple the number from a decade ago – with a combined wealth of more than £301bn.

It means Britain has more billionaires per head of population than any other country, while London's total of 72 sterling billionaires is more than any other city in the world.

The Sunday Times rich list is based on "identifiable wealth" - including land, property, other assets such as art and racehorses, or significant shares in publicly quoted companies.

It excludes bank accounts, which the Sunday Times has no access to.

Chris Leslie MP, Labour's shadow chief secretary to the Treasury, said: "No wonder the super-rich have got much richer over the last year when David Cameron has given millionaires a huge tax cut.

"Yet at the same time working people have continued to face a cost-of-living crisis and are £1,600 a year worse off since 2010.

"Labour is determined to ensure all working people feel the benefits of economic growth, not just a few at the top."

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/may/18/sunday-times-rich-list

Hurray for neo-feudalism, may our owners one day trickle down their generosity upon us.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Horror.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Ddraig posted:

With a bit of luck the only rivers of blood are going to be from Tories hanging from the loving lampposts and being beaten with chains.

It won't be this, mate. It won't be this :(

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The future's bleak - the future's Blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

JFairfax posted:

The house market in bristol is a bit loving nuts at the moment though.

This is true. However, I think I've managed to score a room in a place in Montpelier for not insane prices, so that's cool.

Also, moving to Bristol in September. Hell yes.

• Locked thread