Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why is slope offensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SybilVimes posted:

The way I heard it explained was that it was actually related to the standard 'coolie hat' giving vietnamese a "sloped head" appearance, which became 'slope head' as an insult, which then shortened to 'slope'.

Huh, well the more you know I guess. Can't say I recall hearing that in any of the Vietnam war movies I've watched.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JoylessJester posted:

But hey running way isn't as bad as Prescott lamping a protestor.

That was awesome.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Crane Fist posted:

The thing that gets me about Subway is that you can go to one anywhere in the entire world and they all smell identical. They've all got this weird slightly rank bread smell about them and you don't even have to go in, it extends about ten feet out of the place even when the door's closed

They will have a corporate scent. Lots of places to it. Pump in smells through the air conditioning, not just food places.

Also if anyone actually desires a subway that delivers, you really need to evaluate your life a choices

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Touchdown Boy posted:

Anyone who can do so, jump ship now.

Doing so gleefully

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Puntification posted:

What will you do if you discover elsewhere is just as terrible?

Everywhere is terrible. It's being terrible on my own terms.

Britain is just so parochial, the politics is like the Local Am Dram whereas the states is like Broadway - they really know how to put on a show.

I was recently working US hours in Bristol as I couldn't make a call to people I needed to speak to before 3pm. Try getting a decent meal after 10pm. Impossible.

Shops still by and large are closed when you get out of work - except for supermarkets.

As for public transport. Well... I hate to say it but here in Chicago I can either use a ticket, cash or wireless bank card to get on a bus or train and the same tickets work on either.

In Bristol the biggest advance we've made in public transport in the last 20 years is a loving water slide. The busses are dogshit and get more expensive all the time and the train connections inter-city are great but you can't get from southville to clifton on one train and that's just loving idiotic. Not even saying there has to be a light rail system, just loving make the best of what we've got already.

And Bristol is, by all accounts ones of the best places to live in the UK. I love it, but I grew up here, and don't want to spend my entire adult life here and don't want to live anywhere else in the UK - don't fancy London, not cut out for the countryside (love it but man it's boring) and I've lived in Liverpool while at uni, and whilst a lot of fun, the northern cities just don't appeal - in comparison to Bristol.

Britain is great, it does have lots of opportunities if you have the right skills, but for me I love the big big cities (not London) so I am off to seek my fortune elsewhere.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My Ex did a year teaching English in Romania and loved it. But she already knew some Russian. I tried to learn some Serbian for a stupid reason a few years ago and those Russian languages have about 7 cases? is that right? Rather complicated to get your head around but would be easier to learn living there full time.

Personally I think it's important to engage with a country you're living in and my cousin and a good friend of mine have taught english in Spain and Japan for a number of years and both absolutely love it.

The key to living abroad is to get stuck in and engage with the local community. You go crazy if you just hang around with Ex-Pats - at least from what I've seen. I've never lived in a country where I don't speak the language, but the people who have done learn it and you really have to be up for that to have a good time.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Britain is pretty drat good in comparison to the majority of the rest of the world. Especially when it comes to things like female sexual health, gay rights, race relations.

It's not perfect, but loving hell compared to a lot of places we are extremely progressive. I mean look at that attitude to racism on the continent and over here in the states.

There's been an influx in Bristol of Spanish people as a result of the economic downturn and I was seeing an Italian woman who lamented the state of that country at the moment.

Britain isn't perfect, but it could be a lot loving worse.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Coohoolin posted:

EDIT: JFairfax, yeah I made sure the language course would work for complete beginners and apparently it's fine. I've been doing a bit of rosetta stone to prepare and I'm pretty good with cyrillic after a few months but nowhere near enough to actually chat with anyone. I'm already fluent in Italian and German and can do conversational French and Spanish so it looks like I've got a knack for languages. I'll be sure to integrate (already have a pal in Spb ready to show me around) and ideally I'll come back in August a Russian speaker.

I am jealous of people who can pick up languages. I think I am just too lazy for it to be honest.

That sounds pretty good, hope you have a good time over there.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KKKlean Energy posted:

Like everywhere, Britain is poo poo if you're poor, and great if you're wealthy.

I would say that even a poor person gets a better deal here than most places in the world, but that's no excuse for the situation that the British poor are finding themselves in these days, because it's so easy to ensure that everyone gets a decent quality of life but there's just no desire at all to do it.

One key thing is the NHS, being poor in the US is a whole other ballgame because you could literally be bankrupted instead of getting the treatment you need.

It's not perfect but really it's a massively positive thing about the UK and it should be something to be proud of not cut back to the bone.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Burning sheep and putting tyres in roads actually protects your public services. Who knew.

The french have pretty sweet benefits and the CEOs of the big corporations scratch each other's backs, like CEO of Citroen would do deals with other big companies on company cars, and agree that said cars get discounts at Total garages, whilst all of these firms would get mobile phones supplied by Orange FR.

They still have a pretty good state pension plan IIRC that you can still contribute to even if you live abroad.

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 6, 2014

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That's not really what they're doing, the affordable healthcare provision is really just a government insurance plan. Not strictly state provision of the services.

I am going to learn a lot more about it when I speak with the insurance team of our business services provider. I get the feeling I am going to be the one running point on setting up our company's healthcare plan here.

Uninsured in New York it cost me about 360 bucks to see a doc and get a prescription for antibiotics to treat my strep throat. The ENT doc charged about 50 bucks for removing ear wax during my visit. Without telling me the charge before he did it.

Lol seriously, gently caress being uninsured in America.

anyway, this isn't really UK chat. but end of the day, the NHS is seriously cool people.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What about if you went to university, dropped out and then spent the next couple of years working in the WKD brewery literally acting as a part of the conveyor belt, then the grolsch and carling brewery on night shift when liverpool won champions league, working in the St Ivel factory putting chocolate things on supermakert cream deserts and working in a factory making shopping trollies (hint, machine welding the frames is much more fun than putting the wheels on in a cold cold factory at 6am)?

Does that make you working class or lapsed middle class? I'm confused.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
also why the gently caress are Procul Harum kidnapping girls in nigeria?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
None of the above is bullshit, if you really dislike the other options that much then stand yourself.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Trickjaw posted:

Everyone can afford to pay, and potentially lose the deposit, of course.

if you can't raise a deposit from your supporters then obviously you shouldn't be standing.

I have no problem with spoiling ballots, I just think that the idea of putting a designated 'none of the above' option on the paper is the worst possible idea.

for fucks sake, the lobbying you'd have to do to get that on the loving ballot paper and you might as well just get into politics yourself.

at a grassroots level it's not actually that hard to get elected onto a parish or city council, county councils are a harder of course. But it's not impossible by any stretch, I know quite a few people who have done it in their time, and most of them aren't the intellectual equals of UKDnD

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
if you were doing a well paying contract job near earls court monday to friday that room would be far cheaper than staying in a hotel every night.

but still, loving ridiculous.

in my studio (let's call them what they are, bedsits) I share a bathroom and to be honest i'd prefer that than shoe horning a toilet into my tiny living space.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

glitchkrieg posted:

The gently caress is this thread having a go at the KLF what's wrong with you.

The poor fuckers never got over burning a million quid

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
holy poo poo, so it's all the gay, marxist, capitalist, zionist, islamic, bankster's fault.

"Join us for a mere £5 a year - help us prevent the genocide of the indigenous peoples of Britain!"

loving hell.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Seaside Loafer posted:

said sorry im late and just hosed off leaving them with my deposit to cover the last month.

do you leave a deposit at the train station as well?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
In our time is loving awesome.

I used to listen to radio4 all the time when I worked with my father in his workshop when I was a teenager and it is generally pretty good. I hate Today though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

At least this time the guilty party is facing expulsion. Seven years ago, Miranda Grell was disqualified from holding the Leyton council seat she was elected to a year before due to making allegations of paedophilia against her Lib Dem opponent. Her appeal was funded by the party and several prominent activists, including the current Shadow Business Secretary, publicly supported her.

Was she standing against Cyril Smith?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are you an internal applicant or are you going through a recruitment agency for this?

Also have you at any point in the process stated what your desired salary is?

Negotiation is a tricky one, if you like the role, company and the salary is an improvement you don't want to jeopardise that.

What you need to do is go through the job specification. How many years experience are they looking for? Are you ticking all of their required skills and experience? The aim is to be realistic in your appraisal of your skills and experience so that you can push back and say 'no, I hit every criteria for this role and deserve the top of the bracket'.

How well do you know the people in the process? So long as you're not asking for anything outside of their salary banding you shouldn't have an issue. A slight problem is that they also know what you were getting paid before and that this is an improvement.

But if you don't ask you don't get, however as you've seen first hand it can also cause problems.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
wait what? is that Slavoj Zizek?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
@Squalitude

Being greedy is fine, you just need to be able to justify it! And also being willing to walk away from the offer if it's really not acceptable, and it sounds like in this situation you have more to loose if the negotiation goes wrong.

If you can't genuinely say you hit all of the criteria for making top of the bracket, the other thing is a competing offer - but if you haven't been talking throughout the process about you interviewing for another role they will probably not believe you if you say you got an offer for £2k more from another company.

I had a mate who is a recruiter and there was one time when a lady went and interviewed with a client of his, and she got offered. She made him go back, get a higher offer, got everything she wanted - but ended up staying with her current firm. Basically used that offer as leverage to get a higher salary. I laughed 'cause he got played properly, and he really worked his balls off to get the client to come back with a higher offer and they were not amused.

Anyway, I digress. You can try being greedy if you want, but you have to be prepared for it backfiring as it doesn't sound like you have too much leverage in this particular situation and a more to loose than gain.

Once you're not a temp and you're in perm full time job then you can start playing the game of getting up that ladder.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zero Gravitas posted:

Reddit shitfest update: Some loving idiot posted part of the motherfucking Unabomber manifesto as a supporting point to proclaiming that the inevitable end of "liberal" thought in the UK is to have a Kristallnacht for UKIP and then the Conservative party.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/2641lb/ukip_candidate_stabbed_by_labour_supporters/chnhpdv?context=3

Does that poo poo have a trigger warning?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Have we talked about how Prince Charles has gone all godwin and called Putin Hitler?

Because he has and it's caused a stir:

In Moscow, Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said Russia wanted an explanation from Britain about whether Charles expressed that view and whether the wider British government shares it.

"We consider the use of a member of the British royal family by the Western press for waging a propaganda campaign against Russia over ... the situation in Ukraine as unacceptable, outrageous and base," Lukashevich said.

Russian Embassy officials in London met British Foreign Office counterparts Thursday. The embassy said in a statement it sought "official clarifications" of the prince's "outrageous remarks."

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/russian-govt-condemns-prince-charles-comments-23821727

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Who I voted for is between me and the booth.

I don't understand people who have put who they're voting for online or on social media.

I mean, when our new fascist overlords start putting people against the wall / into camps / euthanised - why give them access to criteria allowing them to select you for special treatment?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

rape on the platform

choosing this as the follow up single to murder on the dance floor probably wasn't the best career move Sophie Ellis-Bextor ever made

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
guy guys, it's okay, we can just go back to calling Nick Clegg David Cameron's bitch and all is right in the world.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

Why did Zed and Maynard keep a loving gimp, then?

gay for the stay

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nick Clegg is in an abusive relationship and is being gaslit by David Cameron

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WastedJoker posted:

I think Pulp Fiction brought gimp/gay association to the mainstream.

:mrgw:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WastedJoker posted:

Must read up a few more posts before posting, d'oh.

I think that little dude looks like a gimp mask with a zippy mouth

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
And the fact that we've been at war with Islam for 10 years.

I am telling you THIS is the reason why we've lurched so far to the loving right, because Tony 'closet Catholic fascist' Blair got us involved in this clash of civilizations.

It's loving retarded and the war in Iraq was never about Iraq, it was about pitting 'western "christian" civilization' against the others, regardless of what anyone said at the time it would take GENERATIONS to undo the fuckup that was that decision, precisely because it not just radicalises extremists against those starting the wars but it radicalises the populations of those commiting the acts of war and normalises demonisation, militarism and violence against others the brown enemy.

And that's what it's loving done and now the ghost of Mosley has risen and everyone is loosing their loving minds for god king and country.

So loving stupid.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A Sloth posted:

Labour's social engineering and mass immigration programme to redefine us as a "truly multicultural people" hasn't worked completely. And the fallout is glorious. :getin:

The last labour government took part in an escapade that has killed hundreds of thousands of muslims, it is their fault we've lurched to the right because they forgot what Marx taught them about capitalist imperialist wars being used to keep the working people of the world divided and fighting against each other.

We were a multi-cultural country before 1997. Way before then.

Multi-culturalism isn't the problem, poo poo like bombing and shooting the gently caress out of Iraq, supporting fascists in the Ukraine, spying, bombing. Basically all that poo poo is the problem. Not multi-cultrualism.

We forgot that an act of aggressive war is the supreme crime from which all others follow. Great Britain has committed the same crimes that saw the Nazis hang and now we're surprised that we have a load of fascists on our own.

To me the interesting thing about the rise of fascism and racism and all that poo poo is not that it was inherently German or Italian or Spanish but that it could happen anywhere. Germany was a smart, well educated industrialised nation. If it could happen there it could happen anywhere.

And lo and behold we fight a war for our 'religion' our 'culture' are 'freedoms' against muslims, I mean 'radical extremists' and it's no loving surprise that the UKIPS and the BNPS and the Golden DAwns or whatever the gently caress are on the march.

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 23, 2014

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like essay based exams because I am a good writer.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Racism is on the Rise:

NatCen said 30 per cent of more than 2,000 people surveyed said they were "very" or "a little" prejudiced against people of different races. The figures show 3 per cent said they were "very" prejudiced against people of other races and 27 per cent said they were "a little" prejudiced.

The figures herald a return to previous levels of racial intolerance before an all-time low in 2001 (25 per cent), NatCen said.

Racial prejudice peaked in 1987, NatCen research has previously showed, with 38 per cent of people saying they were racially prejudiced. This fell to a low of 25 per cent in 2001 – but then began rising year-by-year – perhaps as a result of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.? And perhaps the ongoing war on Islam, I mean Militant Islamic Terrorists

"Back in 1983, when we started British Social Attitudes, it looked as if it was an inexorable decline, it looked like as if it was part of increasing socially liberal Britain, so things like attitudes towards same-sex marriage, having children before marriage and so on, they were all going in one direction," she Ms Young told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"On this trend, in about 2001, it seemed to change, and we think there are probably two possible things that are driving this.

"One, it was a very marked turning round in 2001, so it may well be an impact of 9/11, that people started to feel more fearful, or to do with people feeling concerned about the impact of immigration in their own area or being fearful of the impact of immigration in their own area."

http://www.channel4.com/news/racial-prejudice-british-social-attitudes-survey-third?google_editors_picks=true

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

El Scotch posted:

I can't be the only one who feels something sinister about referring to living areas by 'zones'.

You've not seen the shard have you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ya, blind in the wine zone leave ya mind blown
When he shine with the nine, hes a Rhinestone Cowboy

• Locked thread