Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

As much as I enjoy having a moment in the spot light, that voting guide isn't mine. And drat you for stealing the op, now next month's (that I here by bagsie) will be even more neo-liberal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Answers Me posted:

Well, Jeremy Clarkson did another racism. Maybe he'll finally get the sack this time? http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/01/jeremy-clarkson-not-use-n-word

If he does he'll become even more insufferable. He'll go full time at The Sun/The Times as their new 'voice of the man on the street' and he'll attack the BBC incessantly 'having seen with my own eyes the waste and bureaucracy' that 'drags the organisation to the left'. He'll get his own show or even channel on sky that will make that Noel Edmonds nonsense seem reasonable.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Shakespearean Beef posted:

Oh come on, this is a complete non-issue, an actual case of PC gone mad. Most people these days realise that Political Correctness is more about controlling the cognitive behaviour of the masses than protecting minorities, a current example would be how UKIP is constantly spammed with racist accusations rather than well thought out policy alternatives. Clarkson is an intelligent man and I would think his politically incorrect slip ups are designed to be rebellious against this Frankfurt school style manipulation rather than be offensive to either minorities or in the case of Asian people who represent 60% of the global population majorities.

You're a bit to good at this trolling stuff shakey, and welcome back.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

can someone repost that table that details the number of expats there are from each country (India was first, then china, then the UK) TIA

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I found the UN website on migration and did some basic crunching. Here are the edited down numbers (got rid of all the historical data and the sub headers https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1yzNH01qfyqTWE5d05jN3h1TGs/edit?usp=sharing). This what I found, but very little critical thought has gone into this so far:

There are currently 5m UK nationals living abroad with 7.8m foreign nationals living in the UK. We know that the majority of both will be of working age so let's call it a wash. That leaves a balance of 2.8m taking UK jobs..... About the unemployment rate as it stands (After we take out all the cooked numbers the DWP uses). I don't like these numbers as they lend themselves to easily to propaganda.

But if you look at where our expats are, they are in high cost countries, so if they are sponging (as we know all immigrants do) we are costing more than we expending.

Australia

United States of America

Canada

Spain

New Zealand

South Africa

Ireland

Germany

Channel Islands

As you can see we only like to goto other highly developed countries, tax havens and holiday resorts! Ahh I do love a good stereotype.

Then we have to look at where our immigrants are coming from, well all over the place. A large southeast asian population, Poles to do the actual work and Germany… really? I don’t know a single German but I know someone from everywhere else. Sorry getting side tracked. From this I think we can infer that we are a brain draining motherfucker of a country:

India

Poland

Pakistan

Ireland

Germany

Bangladesh

United States of America

South Africa

Nigeria

China

Anyways I hope this help someone with something. Next I’ll be doing something about how immigrants are great because the pay into the system but then don’t take out again Or how ultra-flexible working isn't as bad as you thought it was…. IT WORSE.

notaspy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 7, 2014

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

twoot posted:

Look at MailOnline or Buzzfeed/ect if you want to see this expanded to be an entire business model.

But traffic is slowly going out of fashion as the metric for a successful website, popbitch did an angry but accurate article on it a while back. I'll link to it when I get home, but the take away is always be clicking on daily heil links as it dilutes their worth not increase them.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Here is that article about why it's OK to click daily mail links:

http://popbitch.com/articles/Profits_Of_Doom.html

Take with a pinch of salt due to tone

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I'm hoping that UKIP are just a front for the establishment/nWo. Having seen that their 3 current fronts are out no longer viable they are now bringing a new player to the fore. Once in power the UKIP leadership will turn out to be as liberal as the rest just with more smoking, binge drinking and 'bantz'.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Minimum wage: Latvia €1.90 an hour, equivalent to £1.58 an hour. UK £6.31 an hour, 4 times Latvia’s.

Latvian workers don’t have financial commitments like mortgages to pay for.

Some are multi-occupying to keep living costs down. Some are claiming in-work benefits like tax credits and housing benefit…and possibly child benefit for dependent children living in Latvia.

So Latvian migrants earning the UK minimum wage can be better off by over 4 times, and in some cases, 5 or 6 times, than in their own country.

Free movement within a Union of 28 wildly divergent countries, specially between east and west, has been a disaster. specially for those un-/low-skilled workers who are being displaced.

Many east European workers are organised by gang-masters who take a cut from their wages.

And the wage differential is even greater between the UK and other EU countries. The UK’s minimum wage is 8 times Romania’s and 9 times Bulgaria’s.

So maybe the Latvian workers will be replaced by migrants from those countries at some point in this race to the bottom. The gang-masters’ cut would be even bigger.

Farage and UKIP are right to want to stop uncontrolled EU immigration …it is destroying the employment prospects, wages and living standards of large numbers of British workers.

And this latest piece of anti-Ukip nonsense won‘t change that fact.

Yeah, but when we get rid of all this guys the cost of production will go through the roof to the point that it will no longer be profitable to be in business. What then? We'll not have enough people in work to pay taxes, we'll have to borrow just to meet our debt commitments, this will cause a death spiral and we become the new Greece. Cheap labour in these lovely jobs keeps people in the good high paying jobs.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Who had 'total bollocks' for this trojan horse nonsense? http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-27355014

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

To change the subject slightly a while back some one said that when private hospitals fuckup they dump their patients on the local NHS hospital. Anyone got any data to back this up? All I can find is this: http://www.big-lies.org/UK-private-hospitals/private-hospitals.html . remember that I've bagsied next months op, just in case anyone was having ideas!

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

so what happens to the 1.2m brits living in europe if we walk away?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

Is there any reliable number on Brits living abroard. Way earlier up thread i quoted 2.3 million living in Europe, which is what a quick search had told me. A slightly more thorough look finds estimates(guesses)all over the drat place.

I took the numbers from the UN as I thought it would be best to go for something neutral. Look at my post history for a link to the raw data. (i'll do the same and update this post if you're feeling lazy)

Here you go:

http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/population/publications/migration/migration-report-2013.shtml

If you want to use the data you'll need to transpose the axis to make is more readable (well I did)

notaspy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 27, 2014

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Bozza posted:

Nearly time for a new OP. Wasn't someone going to do a parody one? That sounded fun.

mememememe, over here, mememememe

Remind me to finish it off with pictures and poo poo. Know I know what to do while my washing washes.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

HortonNash posted:

Forgive me for asking but is it a suitable read for a layman, or is it a fairly heavy academic read?

bit of both, its cut up into bite size chunks that build on each other

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

what chrome extension are you guys using to watch us netflix? Media hunt is wanting me to sign up and some poo poo... gently caress that

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

OK people what is next months title?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Spangly A posted:

UKMT June: After a Night of Wrong Votes

haha, works but not in the way you intended.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

New thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639177

Sorry for the shittyness... well on the other hand gently caress you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Ddraig posted:

I'm starting to think the Tories took Judge Dredd to be a guidebook for the future as approved by Thatcher era politics.

I for one can't wait for LondonMegacity-One to get into full effect. We've already got police with the ability to murder people with no repercussions, so we're already halfway there!

Brit-Cit thank you very much (and Cal-Hab for the Scots)

• Locked thread