Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
As someone involved in the legal world, I can say that these cuts have completely and royally hosed the current graduating generation of Future lawyers.

Worked for the last three years at an undergrad, or four if it's undergrad and conversion?
That's nice. Aid has been slashed so if you want to be a criminal barrister LOL GOOD LUCK.
Unless youre going into a City firm, it's hellish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Brovine posted:

If I understand those sentencing remarks correctly, the judge is basically saying "I have to charge you under the law that applied at the time; if I sentenced you under current law it'd be more like ten years per offence". The sentence is based on the law and guidelines that applied at the time of the offences, and modified by the fact that he's old (and therefore any period is a larger proportion of his remaining life, I assume).

Which makes sense I suppose, even if it seems scandalously short to us.

It is galling that most of these yewtree crimes are pre sexual offences act 2003 which, for all its flaws, is a drat sight better than what we had before, especially with regards to consent and presumptions which are rebuttable or conclusive.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

thehustler posted:

Can the parole board take public comments into account?

Dangerous road to go down. If you're unpopular this shouldn't matter in the application of criminal justice, to be honest. No matter how poo poo that can be.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Privatising the land registry. Aka one of the few government agencies to make a consistent profit.

LOL.

LOOOOOOOOOL.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Also in Britain it's fairly unlikely that you'll be literally murdered for your political or social beliefs.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I was linked this by my sister. I went to the same school as this guy, and didn't know him personally but knew him. (edit: St Paul's, not Oxford)

The only issue I have here is that this guy is still innocent until proven guilty and if he is proven innocent I doubt he's important enough to have the media mention that, so now he gets 'attempted rapist' be his top Google result for any prospective employer... So sucks to be him.

Also lol banter squadron.

Edit: also on the subject of missed appointments and fines, I think SOMETHING is needed. Even if it's just text alerts and guilt calls. Yes £160m as someone pointed out is not proportionally a huge amount but you can't put a price on wasting the already pressured time of a GP and then expecting the entitlement of a no-consequences reschedule, having hosed up if you don't have a valid excuse (E. G. The person who got the date wrong - yeah it's not malicious, but it's still a gently caress up).

Perhaps if you repeat offend with no valid reasons they levy a penalty on your bookings. Seems reasonable to me. If you can't respect the service being provided then you have to pay for it.

A fine for something like that might be worth it, of course there needs to be consideration that enforcement might be more costly than the Revenue from the fines.

Charging flatly for appointments won't work as it will just make people go to A&E which is already laughably overstretched.

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 8, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

Labour are trying to make hay out of the situation in the property rental market by calling a vote to ban letting agencies from charging fees to tenants: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27323352

I love the doublethink from the ARLA representative - "the problem is that the market is unregulated. therefore, this regulation must not be introduced."

drat loving right they need to remove this lovely fees.

Last time I rented I was told there was a mandatory credit check which cost £190. Every agent told me the same thing.

I'm a student. The credit check will come back saying I'm not reliable so I need a guarantor. I could have told them this in two seconds. But no.

Then they proceeded to not deliver the promised furniture until two weeks into the let so we slept in sleeping bags.

Cunts.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

The best thing about that BNP video?

Most of the problems they cite are things which the EU regulates and attempts to solve and the UK fights. Banking regulation, runaway capitalism, monopolies, etc...

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

We should have videos more like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjbBSLZlpsQ

Danish Parliament's "VOTEMAN"

(NSFW for cartoon tits and sexual imagery)

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

That was pretty brutal. However I was reminded at times of the question time with Nick Griffin where the main issue is sometimes they don't let the loving interviewee actually answer a question. Continually interrupting them is lazy and makes it easier to defend the interviewee instead of letting them give an answer and then just blasting it to pieces (as was done a lot in that interview just not as much as I had hoped)

Let them hang themselves with their own rope.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Having read family law case transcripts I can say some of the poo poo these social workers have to put up with has made me feel physically sick on more than one occasion. They have a really really tough job.

This is the kind of poo poo that can't be farmed out to the lowest bidder.

P.s. My only personal experience with g4s was a counter terrorism expo about four years ago where they ran security. Event was being held for the first time. They were fairly lax and at the end of the show the staff had a drink while everyone networked. Thousands of pounds of valuable gear was nicked. Next year the expo was basically gutted of cool poo poo and was all videos and handouts.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Why don't they just attack UKIPs actual loving policies? I have no idea where they stand on education and the economy.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Green in euro (london), mixture of lab and green for local as lab have been doing a good job in my area.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I remember really liking a flavour that I'm sure was along the lines of 'bolognese sauce' and had a weird blue mushroom looking monster when I was a kid. Never see it these days and my life is worse for it.

e: Also, since I was diagnosed with diabetes I have craved vanilla coke non-stop but as far as I know you can't get a diet version in the UK. It's the worst, esecially when there's the full sugar variety all over the place.

Spaghetti sauce

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Christ. 40% turnout for an election effecting the lives of 500million people. Golden Dawn won some goddamn seats.

The only good thing I can say is the Greens won some seats, and our oddball racists are actually less overtly racist and fascist than the European right wingers which is just depressing.

The Roma are hosed, for a start.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Does anyone have any convenient links to how much either
A) Afghanistan
B) Iraq
C) 2008-> bailouts

Cost? I did some Googling but found conflicting figures. I know it's not something that can be precisely quantified but it's useful to show to people as a 'these are why we're in the shitter, not scroungers or immigrants or Europeans' argument.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Surprisingly, the ECHR.

I think you mean the CoJEU not the ECHR. The convention means jack all when weighed against Parliamentary Sovereignty. The CoJEU is the one who can rule against us and combined with the Commission can institute proceedings against the UK as a whole (which is what they would do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Unfortunately 150-300k bracket (I know this is an enormous 'bracket' but it's basically 'first time flats-houses') is insanely competitive still. Got a couple of uni mates who work part time at estate agents for cash, they're excellent at making me thoroughly depressed about my upcoming hunt for a flat to buy in East London. Still, it's cheaper than renting whatever way you look at it.

• Locked thread