Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
Another day another UKIP donor embarrassment.

Today's pearls of wisdom include:

- Women shouldn't be allowed to wear trousers because they discourage sex

- Marital rape doesn't exist

- Gay people go out at night and pick up 5, 10, 15 partners in a night. There's no such thing as fidelity in a gay relationship

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...pe-9308272.html

Now watch them clean up at the Euros because they're not afraid to speak their mind in-spite of PC and are only saying what everyone's thinking

Also lol

what a UKIP supporter thinks posted:

I've been wondering why almost all the anti-UKIP comments on this site are so devoid of intelligent content. By and large all we get from these people is puerile name calling.

I found an interesting article at a site called outofthefog.net that discusses personality disorders and how people with such disorders often resort to name calling.

Here is their description:-
"Name-calling is one of the most common tactics people use to hurt others or disparage them. It often occurs when someone has an emotional argument to make with little or no supporting logical argument.
The emotional mind can often have a “mind of its own” or “emotional intelligence” which operates independently of the logical mind, and name-calling is a product of this emotional mind, an explosion of feeling in the form of barbed words.
Most people who indulge in name-calling know that the label or name they choose to describe another individual is not factually accurate. The label is often regarded as hyperbole or as a metaphor. Something which more accurately describes how the speaker feels about the other person than what the speaker actually thinks about the other person....
...When a person resorts to name-calling, they have in that moment abandoned logic in favor of an exaggerated expression of their feelings. There is little to be gained by confronting them with any form of reasoned argument about what the facts are or if the name is warranted."

The article goes on to say that it is pointless to confront such people with logical argument and facts because the problem is them. It advises against trying to act as their therapist. Essentially such people need to get help from a professional therapist to fix their personality disorder.

Since the vast majority of anti-UKIP posts on this site contain this sort of thing, we probably shouldn't bother engaging with such personality disordered people at all but simply suggest that they see a therapist instead.

Private Eye fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

Seems to me like a set of isolated views that are not in line with UKIP's policies or their vision for Britain.

In isolation maybe, but in context with numerous other expressed opinions of the same dubiousness then you've got to wonder what's attracting them all to donating to UKIP.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Saki posted:

If you think Britain is a genuinely terrible place then you're kinda weird. It's actually relatively pretty good.

I know I'm going to get pilloried here, but I agree. Things are poo poo for a chunk of the country yes, but things are poo poo for a chunk of every country's population. It's not like the UK is some outlying state that inflicts a unique rightwing approach to it citizens, which the rest of the world condemns us for. This is a neoliberal planet, and the problems you get here will be identical over the world. Very few if any countries have a moral high-ground to lecture the UK.

Honestly I find it laughable that leftwing posters here are considering/moving to the US and Russia after complaining about the conditions here. To complain about the UK being unequal/ homophobic/ right wing and everything else that's poo poo about a centre-right country and then move to a brazenly-right wing country that would unashamedly call the UK relatively leftwing is baffling.

Its not like UKIP is a uniquely British affair either, there are similar parties springing up and doing well all around Europe (including Scandinavia).

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

Labour made a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1BaQkH_q2s

It's... well, it's a thing. Almost on par with the BNP's thing.

Made me laugh tbh. Bit of a politicised Harry and Paul.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Saw James Dingleberry talk and you can't let that pass without posting this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wmuhKzYp4s

James Delinglpole: A loving idiot who openly admits he doesn't know a thing about the things he believes. Amazing what a bunch of connections can do for an utter idiot.

He's pretty representative of most climate change skeptics I run into.

quote:

I don't have the time or the scientific expertise to read peer-reviewed journals, so I leave that to the people that do have the time and the expertise to do the science and read the journals, and on their interpretation *Then I ignore 95% of those same people*

It's a recurring theme.

quote:

well i don't know enough about the science behind it but.....

Well then why the gently caress are you arguing with someone that does have a grasp of the science behind it?

Argument from authority is one thing, argument from experienced people who spend their lives studying this thing and independently reach a consensus is another.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Watching HIGNFY they were saying that a government department was set up last year, called the horizon scanning programme, comprising of four people who look into the future to identify threats and opportunities for the UK.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

What the gently caress?

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Anyone who spoiled their vote in my ward very nearly let in a kipper.

Labour ended up beating the kipper to the seat by 8 votes. Thankfully I persuaded most of my family to vote labour to keep UKIP out. It's me, I saved my ward.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Serotonin posted:

You are a loving idiot

I know right, he's ex Special boat, not Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

In the village I live in Lincolnshire £800 a month would get you a 5 bedroomed house... detached!

Also, its Lincolnshire, absolutely beautiful.

Where abouts in lincs? (if you don't mind me asking)

• Locked thread