Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Answers Me posted:

Well, Jeremy Clarkson did another racism. Maybe he'll finally get the sack this time? http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/01/jeremy-clarkson-not-use-n-word

I dunno, it seems pretty tame. I'm rather more concerned by the confirmation that the 'slope' gag was intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Elfface posted:

I'm learning so much about racism from Top Gear scandals. I had no idea 'slope' was offensive before then, or that the n-word was in Eeny Meeny. Always thought it was 'catch a tiger'.

The 'friend of the family' version was quite widespread, back before the term had any negative connotations among white people. It was popularised in Britain by Rudyard Kipling (of course) in a story book for scouts and guides.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

JoylessJester posted:

Clarkson obscured what he said to be funny and edgy. He's annoyed people think he said the N-word based on the PC GONE MAD act that made him rich (and the fact he totally does).
He's just released a (video) statement on Twitter in which he appears pretty contrite about the whole thing.

quote:

Sadly he'll keep his million pound BBC job despite a string of acts of casual racism and use it as a platform to attack the BBC and political correctness.
There's a world of difference between right wing tabloid criticism of the BBC and how Top Gear represents his attitude. It's very clearly played for laffs (like when Clarkson drives a tiny car into a BBC meeting on environmentalism filled with minorities) and is also self-deprecating.

While it's true that Top Gear's foreign adventures are usually based around them acting like tits and embarrassing themselves and Britain in general, they are actually pretty interesting as travelogues in their own right. They are also generally quite respectful of the people they meet.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

JoylessJester posted:

1) I don't find 'I have a side of paper just out of shot that proves I didn't say it' quite as contrite as you must. Pretty much 'SORRY I DIDN'T THINK IT WOULD SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY'.
Even if he did say it, it wasn't exactly a private injoke where he emphasised it heavily and cackled knowingly to May and Hammond. Both the Mirror and Clarkson claim he mumbled, and both say it sounded like he said the n-word.

He may well be a casual racist xenophobe, but he's not at the Paula Deen level of obliviousness. I don't see any real reason to doubt him on this.

quote:

2) Clarkson writes for a right wing tabloid, and uses his page to bash the BBC pretty regularly.

3) Not being racist to someones face when visiting a foreign country, truly a high water mark.
I'm defending the show here. Pretending it's some kind of UKIP/Telegraph/Mail mashup makes you sound like the guy in the comments who wouldn't watch it even if he had a television, it's really not what the actual show is like at all.

It has gotten far less interesting and novel in recent years, but that's by the by.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

PoshAlligator posted:

If you're going out for the day like for work or something you can slip a delicious cling-filmed sandwich in that bag.
Tin foil, not cling film. :colbert: Cling film makes sandwiches go goddamn nasty.

If you really have to have a walking lunch, go to Boots, their meal deal is pretty decent and they're quite good about discounting stuff in the late afternoon as well.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Jose posted:

Max Clifford got 8 years :drat:

The sentencing remarks are here.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

SybilVimes posted:

But yeah, 4 years is a little too short. Strangely he didn't get a sex offenders register requirement too - I know others that have been given that for crimes that occurred before 2003 (or even before 1997 before that)

According to the Guardian report he will be on the register - perhaps that's just a matter of course now and doesn't warrant mentioning?

quote:

Clifford will go on the sex offenders' register for life, meaning that when he is released he will only be able to live at an approved address and will have to notify authorities of his movements, including travel abroad.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 2, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

lol

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

I was going to send a pile of my own poo poo, but I decided to be much meaner and just send them their own leaflets.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Assuming it's a shop, but lol nonetheless.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Seaside Loafer posted:

Mature student information request. After ive done my exams at the end of the month can I sign on for the summer break? I'll be looking for some temp job obviously but if I cant get one am I allowed or am I still officially employed sort of.
You're a student until you've graduated, I believe, so you probably can't sign on. (I'm currently royally hosed by a similar situation. :smith:) OTOH they might make an exception if you are going to be looking for full time work.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

We just got our Conservative European election leaflets through the door.

The one addressed to my wife had the BNP one folded inside it. :smith:

Edit: Sample quote

quote:

The others are faceless nobodies - NICK is a high profile celebrity and international statesman!

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 6, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Answers Me posted:

In other news, I had Tory and Lib Dem leaflets addressed specifically to me the other day. Is my address freely available for political parties to spam?
Apparently so - we had a personally addressed BNP leaflet yesterday after all, inside a personally addressed Tory leaflet. Both show information on the address from our electoral roll numbers.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

General China posted:

Why do you need to call me a murse?

What the gently caress is a murse? You went out of way to do that. Why? Explain yourself.
This post is self explanatory. :allears:

Edit: 'Murse' is dumb, patronising and sexist. The correct term for a male nurse (lol) is 'nursette'.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 8, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Serotonin posted:

Don't be such a prick.
Awesome, two for one. Not that I can really talk since I'm practically a housewife at the moment.

notaspy posted:

Here is that article about why it's OK to click daily mail links:

http://popbitch.com/articles/Profits_Of_Doom.html

Take with a pinch of salt due to tone

Not really sure what to make of this. Yay for the alleged lack of profit, but I thought a better reason not to follow Mail links was simply to not give them the audience in the first place. It's not as if any of us were going to buy the actual paper anyway.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

SybilVimes posted:

We might not buy the paper, but we will share it with our social networks as a 'look how stupid these fucks are' thing, and there may be some in our network that DO then buy it or spend the next hour reading their other articles.
oh god what have i done

quote:

Before you say 'but that won't happen, we're all lefties', the fact that we're talking about links posted to this thread is proof of how it works as they intend - to deny there are right wing posters in this thread would be absurd, so someone sees something ridiculous on their FB feed or something from the mail, posts it here, and who knows, out of the 2000 people that read this thread, maybe 50 of them spend an hour reading the mail's other articles, and sharing the 'more rational' ones with their (presumed right wing) social network.
To those people I say :frogout:

quote:

Even if those 50 don't exist, advertisers don't really care THAT much if a person is left or right leaning, so those 2000 people clicking on the link to be outraged still get exposed to B&Q's latest sale items, or whatever.
See: any article by Samantha Brick etc. The Mail definitely utilises clickbait wherever possible to goad as many people to respond as possible. To be fair the Guardian does something very similar with CiF headlines.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

Why should there be any irony in covering up fascist propaganda? :confused:
He's condemning UKIP for a lack of imagination and idealism whilst making the blandest possible artistic statement. The pro-union graffiti was better in every possible respect.

Name dropping his 'good friend Zodiac Mindwarp' is also peak Guardian :words:

:stonkhat:

Jedit posted:

Literally all you are doing is shoving obscene images in the faces of the people who least deserve it and whose side you claim to be on. Grow the gently caress up, all of you.
Bozza's train was loving awesome. If I'd just spent the day counting the number of politically active fascists living in the same town as me, I'd be loving delighted to see something like that. :colbert:

Edit: I realise that wasn't a ballot but a spoiled survey, but still.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 9, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

JFairfax posted:

None of the above is bullshit, if you really dislike the other options that much then stand yourself.
Jesus Christ this is the dumbest possible argument.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

The suffragettes were loving hard core, dude.

I really hope Edith Garrud is featured in that film they're making in some way, although I think it's set earlier on (and will feature Meryl Streep not even attempting a Mancunian accent as Emmeline Pankhurst).

Wiki posted:

In 1913, as a response to the so-called Cat and Mouse Act whereby Suffragette leaders on hunger strikes could legally be released from jail and then re-arrested, the WSPU established a thirty-member, all-woman protection unit referred to as "the Bodyguard", the "Jiujitsuffragettes" and the "Amazons". Edith Garrud became the trainer of the Bodyguard and taught them jujutsu and the use of Indian clubs as defensive weapons. Their lessons took place in a succession of secret locations to avoid the attention of the police. The Bodyguard fought a number of well-publicised hand-to-hand combats with police officers who were attempting to arrest their leaders.

On several occasions they were also able to stage successful escapes and rescues, making use of tactics such as disguise and the use of decoys to confuse the police. Journalists coined the term "suffrajitsu" - a portmanteau of "suffragette" and "jiujitsu" - to describe their techniques of self defence, sabotage and subterfuge.

A Suffragette Armoury, March 1914.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 10, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

So who you voting for? The Libdems again?
Everyone in this thread is going to vote for a crude sketch of a penis ejaculating hammers and sickles. Actual political parties are a 'least worst' proposition at the moment.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

TinTower posted:

That's an awful bar chart, and I've seen some horrible Lib Dem ones.

Anyway, I was hoping that the thread could help me out on something:

Even if you accept that Labour mean "since VAT went up", how does this add up? The two biggest expenses I can think of, food and housing, aren't VATable, to my recollection, and you'd still have to spend £125/week on VATable stuff. I'm wondering how you'd be able to do that?

Also peas and vegetable oil aren't even subject to VAT? (Can't remember where I heard that, may have been here.)

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

:allears:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Loonytoad Quack posted:

You HAVE to watch this LBC mauling of Farage from today, it's frigging glorious.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/watch-nigel-farage-v-james-obrien-live-from-1130-90532

Holy poo poo. I think I've heard this guy before, Paxman replacement found.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

frontlineKHAAAN! posted:

Also: "I don't understand why you're uncomfortable listening to foreign languages when your own wife and children speak them, and I don't understand why you talk about problems in Primary schools that are caused by children like your own".

:owned:

Can't believe he's still dragging that line out. For a massive 'gently caress you' response to that argument, see this awesome BBC news report on one of those schools. The kids themselves are adorable :3:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

But Mr Poulson claimed the post was in response to Councillor Radford attempting to flyer a “non political event”, and wrote: “Any posting I make on social media is my own personal opinion and in no way connected to the Labour Party.”
loving lol. Has he not been following the news re: UKIP gaffes at all?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

So UKIP tried to hold a 'diversity carnival' in Croydon to try to counter their racist reputation. It didn't go well.

Edit: Oh goddamnit! Still, my link has more photos (and a working link :smug:)

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Voted labour in the local elections, Green in the EU ones. Looking at the EU ballot sheet I really wish we had STV just to tell the fascist parties exactly how many times they can go gently caress themselves. :/

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Spangly A posted:

EU is PR, so spoiled ballots are a vote for UKIP *and* the Tories at the same time. Congrats on not diminishing this.
Wait what

Oh bollocks

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Whitefish posted:

Yeah, I voted Lib Dem in the locals because the candidate is good, and I will vote Lib Dem in the general election because we have a really good backbench MP who I want to keep. In both cases I'm voting for the people, not the party. I would never vote for the Lib Dems as a party now though.
And I thought I was bad at voting...

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Holy poo poo. A bolt of lightning hit a nearby building when I went to vote. I take it this is Thor showing his displeasure with UKIP.

Maybe you shouldn't have voted for them then?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

TinTower posted:

To be fair, I personally know both of candidates he's talking about and they're both amazing people, despite being Lib Dems.

Which s fair enough (I will absolutely be voting Labour in the next General election because my MP is awesome), but a lot of people don't seem to realise that voting for a person and the party are exactly the same thing, at least in the cases he is talking about.

Edit: This is pretty much the only baseline for support the Lib Dems have as a party now, their credibility at a national level is surely hosed.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 22, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Christ I can't take my eyes off UKIP guy's tie. Purple and yellow is not a good look, why the hell are those their colours. He looks like he should be running a greasy beach arcade in Blackpool. UKIP's logo just looks like a budget supermarket.
Those colours have a proud history within British politics!

Pictured: Ivor Biggun, Standing at the Back Dressed Stupidly and Looking Stupid Party.

quote:

Their policies include

-the compulsory serving of asparagus at breakfast,
-free corsets for the under-fives, and
-the abolition of slavery.
Sadly they've gotten a lot more extremist since then.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

tooterfish posted:

"We've got a Brazilian with a rucksack on the run sauntering in the tube. This is a bad one, the worst yet. I need the old blade runner, I need your magic"
I think we need to sit down and think about how having Harrison Ford in the sequel is a really stupid idea.

Party Boat posted:

Aha! So they admit they're racist!

In fairness, they also never claimed to not be sexist or homophobic in their Google profile.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

tooterfish posted:

Must say, this slipped entirely under my radar. Looking at the reviews for the book on which they're basing this, you've got to ask... what are they thinking?

First Prometheus, and now this. Is Scott trying to completely destroy his own legacy?
Oh gods, please tell me they're not basing it on the KW Jeter books :saddowns:

Renaissance Robot posted:

Hey man you can't just call people racist, that's rude, because racist is a bad word. Apologise immediately! (I have no idea when this started by the way, has it always been verboten in politics to make a factual statement about someone else's character if the fact is that they're poo poo?)
Pointing out racism is itself racism! :eng99:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzPBn5SLcxE
:allears:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

marktheando posted:

He is using the old fashioned meaning of slut, which is a woman who is lazy/bad at housework.

quote:

They that wash on Monday
Have all the week to dry;
They that wash on Tuesday
Are not so much awry;
They that wash on Wednesday
Are not so much to blame;
They that wash on Thursday
Wash for shame;
They that wash on Friday
Wash in need;
And they that wash on Saturday,
Oh! they are sluts indeed.
We have this poem posted up on a 50s/60s era clothes wringer in the museum where I volunteer. Talking about it with older visitors, a lot of them agree with the connotations of doing laundry on particular days, without being surprised by the last line.

I think it's entirely plausible that Bloom was simply describing women as being bad at housework (which is a lovely thing to say anyway), without being aware that it could be understood in a different sense now. He's basically a massive loving anachronism.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

Do people really think this? Isn't nationalism responsible for free education, the national health service, benefits and a bunch of other things? I can't imagine that without SOCIAL COHESION people are as willing to pay for a welfare state?

O O

A Venn diagram of people who really love free education, the NHS, benefits and increasing social liberalism, and UKIP politicians who think nationalism is the poo poo. (Edited as I think a lot of UKIP voters aren't aware og how lovely that party's policies are.)

Nationalism is more about defining your state in opposition to other nations, increasing cohesion between some groups and distancing yourself as a whole from others. I don't think many liberals would argue that those should be specifically British values but are rather universal ideals. We could be proud that Britain has made considerable steps in the right direction, but it's not immigration that's undermining most of these.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

ronya posted:

Here's the other two pages, for completeness, then:

The difficulty is tied to the expected length of answers; as a three-hour paper (36 minutes each), I think 2 to 2.5 pages per question would be about reasonable. The point is not to sketch one or two paragraphs, certainly.

Yeah, some of these are classist as gently caress. They are actually quite decent as exam questions, but would require a lot of preparation with regards as to what is expected in the answer as they are also incredibly subjective. With that in mind it is impossible to say whether they are more or less difficult than modern exam questions. What we'd need to see is an A-grade and a D-grade answer sheet.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

Why are people voting for UKIP? I refuse to believe they are that stupid.

British public wrong about nearly everything, survey shows.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

tdrules posted:

oh noooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXewIR7Y7cc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOGaugKpzs

Well, Greens beat the Lib Dems at least. I do wonder if I should have gone with Labour instead though :saddowns:

Answers Me posted:

Counterpoint: the continued existence of Nick Robinson; about a million other things
Andrew Neil has been a massive smug shitlord on Twitter during this whole election process, blatantly cheering on UKIP and the Tories. His apparent xenophobia surprises me, given his history of reaching out to Asian youth.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Jedit posted:

Why does Oakeshott say it would be preferable for a woman to lead the LDs? Does he have someone particular in mind?

I can't think of anyone (Lynne Featherstone?) but it would eliminate the possibility of one of the embarrassments in the Cabinet getting the job. He could also simply feel that a (liberal) female leader is long overdue, and electing one as leader would at least make a public impact.

• Locked thread