Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Is there any problem with a mandatory £50 (or whatever) fine for missing appointments without extenuating circumstances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah so gently caress the Spectator and James Delingpole

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

KKKlean Energy posted:

My favourite bit is the bit at the bottom :allears:

The astonishing thing is that it manages to be arguably only the second most offensive thing on the page

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Seaside Loafer posted:

Im pretty much just quoting you just so anyone who missed it would read it becasue its so spot on. The most I ever made was 32k, and I was an engineer making and doing things. This moaning tosser is a financial arsehole flipping money and producing nothing. I dont know him but I hate him.

Well, he's a compliance officer which means he's versed in the law (although not necessarily a qualified lawyer), has probably worked in the FSA/FCA and knows what financial companies are and aren't allowed to do. His job is to prevent the people who actually 'flip money' from breaking the rules, taking on too much risk, etc.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Trickjaw posted:

Voted green. Place was dead.

This, in London.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Well yeah it's a weekday morning, most people are at/going to work surely... (surprised that capitalist ubermensch tentish klown wasn't tbh)

My girlfriend and I woke up early to vote before work.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
I hate myself for voting Labour for the locals, but they've done quite a good job so far...

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Umiapik posted:

(Note also the usual rather amusing Telegraph ideas about what "middle-class" actually means...)

I'm curious - what do you think "middle-class" means?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

Middle class means anyone who earns the same as me +/- 30% regardless of my current income.

That's pretty much the issue I'm pointing out - the definition of middle class has changed so much (possibly due to aspiration, social mobility, and those drat poors not knowing their place) that it ranges from 'I can afford houmous' to 'I'm worth loving millions but no one in my near family has a title'.
The Telegraphs definition of middle class is not right or wrong, it's just different from Umiapiks.

Zephro posted:

There's another problem, of course, which is London's general dominance of the UK. There are many industries where if you have any ambition to succeed London is the only place you can go. It's all very well when people say that house prices in Cumbria have barely moved and that £60,000 will buy you a perfectly decent two-bed terraced house. The problem is no-one wants to live in Cumbria because there's nothing to do.

I don't know whether it's easier to fix London's housing crisis or fix the UK's city-state-itis, but there's no political will to do either.

edit2: America is an interesting contrast, as a country with more than a dozen legitimately big cities. I assume they must all provide something of a safety valve for each other.

You would be more accurate comparing America with Europe, given the relative populations and landmass covered, and the freedom of movement. In which case, we do indeed have several legitimately big cities - London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Rome etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

El Scotch posted:

I can't be the only one who feels something sinister about referring to living areas by 'zones'.

Not really, they're just a vague measure of distance to the center of London. Saying zone 1, 2, 3, etc is a much more efficient shorthand than 'it's like 20 miles outside London and takes about an hour to get there'

• Locked thread