Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Trickjaw posted:

“Last night he came home at 10.30pm with a curry.”

:laffo:

"He's even eaten things as diverse as kebabs, and once stayed on al jazeera longer than a half second while changing channel, he can't possibly be a racist, besides, I didn't bring him up to expose his views about niggers and whores in public"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm assuming it's related to the whole 'slanty-eyed Asian' thing.

The way I heard it explained was that it was actually related to the standard 'coolie hat' giving vietnamese a "sloped head" appearance, which became 'slope head' as an insult, which then shortened to 'slope'.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

JFairfax posted:

Huh, well the more you know I guess. Can't say I recall hearing that in any of the Vietnam war movies I've watched.

It is used in Apocolypse now, and I think I remember hearing it in another (possibly 4th july).

I heard pretty much every anti-asian slur at school (you know, being white and all :shrug:), and many of them didn't make any sense, so I'd occasionally ask an adult wtf it was supposed to be insulting.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

Also is it normal for campaigners to threaten to "shank you one" unless you vote UKIP? Just a quick question.

The Ex-BNP ones? Probably.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
I wonder how many candidates will remain as official UKIP candidates next week, I'm guessing they can't just substitute in other candidates this late in the game either.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Seaside Loafer posted:

Whats your motivation? Isnt the ironic posting offensive bollocks joke getting a bit tired now?

Just put him on ignore, he's never contributed anything particularly worthy of being displayed.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Jose posted:

Max Clifford got 8 years :drat:

Only *has* to serve 4 though

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Brovine posted:

If I understand those sentencing remarks correctly, the judge is basically saying "I have to charge you under the law that applied at the time; if I sentenced you under current law it'd be more like ten years per offence".

The minimum is only 18months for the worst crime ('sexual assault by penetration' on a 15yo) he did even today, so I doubt he'd have gotten a whole lot worse. True that the judge would have had more range to send him away, and the upper bound on some of them is life, but the judge would probably still have been lenient on an old man that he states is 'no threat to women anymore'.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
I think from a 'revenge' standpoint, *any* custodial sentence at that age is pretty effective - he's going to spend 4 years wondering if he's going to see the outside again, and that's ignoring any 'nonce-hate' he might see from inmates. It's a pretty horrible way to spend years that could be your last, and should be when you're making the most of the days you have left.

But yeah, 4 years is a little too short. Strangely he didn't get a sex offenders register requirement too - I know others that have been given that for crimes that occurred before 2003 (or even before 1997 before that)

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Looks like Max may not be so sure he's only going to get a short term, still, at least this'll mean he gets regular day trips out of prison to go to court, and that's always a nice break from staring at the wall

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/03/max-clifford-faces-new-allegations-as-more-accusers-come-forward

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Brovine posted:

Some years ago, Citylink attempted to deliver something to me. I was in all day apart from a moment when I popped to the shop for some milk (next door but one at the time). That evening the vendor's website listed delivery attempted, but I hadn't had a card. I happened to be off the next day, so I contacted Citylink to tell them to try again.

The next day I still didn't get my parcel - or a card. Complained at Citylink again, and was told that delivery had been attempted "at the white door, no answer, left card". Can you guess what colour my door wasn't?

The nearest white door, if I remember right, was five doors down. Mine had a very visible house name and number next to it, as did most of my neighbours.

The next day they delivered to the right place, amazingly.

I had a very similar story happen, except mine was 3 days of them failing to deliver, followed by the citylink depot's supervisor having to personally drive out to deliver the item at 7:30pm, handing me the parcel and muttering 'that poo poo is so fired'.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

4 years custodial, 4 years suspended (is my understanding).

Except that the link I posted earlier suggests CPS are building a second case against him from other abuse victims.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

TheHoodedClaw posted:

He'll serve 8 inside if he continues on his current path of not admitting guilt and showing no contrition.

He won't, he showed contrition in his mitigation filing. What he says to the media means diddly when it comes to what he says to the court/parole board, and he only has to show contrition for like 30 seconds behind closed doors.

e: assuming there's even a parole hearing - a 75yo man on crimes ~30 years old? they'll probably rubber stamp it without even a hearing.

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 3, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

thehustler posted:

Can the parole board take public comments into account?

AFAIK only witnesses or victims from the original crime

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Apparently they're currently cracking down real hard on imported prescription drugs anyway, even for things that are technically legal to buy mail order / prescription free (like estrogen).

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Bozza posted:

Spent my bank holiday Saturday and Sunday stood in a field with a bass drum strapped to my front. Now have amusing tan lines and am possibly suffering from a little sun stroke. A good weekend.

Also Miliband is totes gonna nationalise the railways guys, it's gonna happen and that's not just the dehydration talking.

If you're really lucky, like me, those tan lines might be permanent - the tan I got last year at Waddington still hasn't faded, and isn't going to now, oh well.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Zero hours for all, or else

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

General China posted:

The price of pharmaceuticals and drugs continues to amaze me. Take for example paracetamol. Cheapest are tablets you swallow, next most expensive is intravenous paracetamol ( in a large glass vial with a handy doo-dad you can use to hang it from a drip stand ) and the most expensive form of paracetamol is suppositories.

I cannot see how this works. Surely making a tablet and suppository should be a similar price- the inert base used for both must be a similar price. Unless glycerol is amazingly expensive. Surely manufacturing IV drugs with the glass involved and the more stringent needs for sterility would result in a higher price than something you could literally shove up your arse. But it does not.

What is economy of scale? Alex.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Zephro posted:

That article does suggest the whole thing was a clusterfuck of rarely-seen proportions, though. Is it even legal for a judge to preside over a case when she's friends with the participants?

As I remember it, yes, it's perfectly legal, a judge can recuse him/herself if they feel they have a conflict of interest, and either side could file an appeal based on their feeling that there was a conflict of interest, it would then be up to another judge to decide if there was, or was not, and whether that is sufficient to consider the judge's verdict compromised. But there's no inherent illegality of any bias by the judge.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

The Donut posted:

So...when does the revolution start?

:laffo:

We've been devoiced and disarmed, and you think there will ever be a revolution?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
"Shut up, you haven't got cholera, yet!" - the thread this last page.

Truly the high point of the UKMT :downsbravo:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Seaside Loafer posted:

So you cant just apply for a developer job in Spain or whatever because you wont be able to talk to half the people until you have been there for 6 months or something. I tried learning Spanish for a laugh and I'm poo poo, its not a skill I possess.

I disagree with that, I worked with a spanish company (as essentially a contractor via my UK employer), and while there were language troubles, they had an english speaker or two there, and when I went over there to do some intensive time with them, it was possible to work with them quite easily, and I felt that I'd probably have picked up bits of the language pretty quickly if I were to work with them physically for more than a few days.

The source code was all in english (well, american) anyway, as was 99% of the documentation.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Seaside Loafer posted:

Right so to clarify for the EU zone French is the most usefull second language to have?

In western europe, yeah, the further east you go the more likely I'd expect german to supplant that.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Pesmerga posted:

Yeah, Sweden stopped compulsory sterilisation in 1976,

Uh, no

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Christ can you imagine how good the Yanks would be at healthcare if they spent the same amount of money but on actual healthcare?

Terrible, their health care is not only expensive, but it's terrible for any price, and only made worse because it's terrible.

They have some 'decent' surgeons, not the best for most fields, but decent, but anything below that? piss poor.

There were 2 things really horrible about the time I stepped on a rusty nail in the US...

1) Their 'care' was putting my foot in a bowl of iodine for 20 minutes.
2) Said 'care' cost $700 (granted, it was ER, but I got myself there under my own power).

3) Ok... AMONG the things wrong with that incident... 3) The attitude I got from everywhere except the ER - 'gently caress off, we're busy' (my regular doctor had a game of golf that day, and the next day he was planning on evacuating for the hurricane for which I was nailing boards over the window for).

Their dentists aren't much better, either.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

haakman posted:

What happens if you can't pay the 25 quid?

You die.

e: this pretty much guarentees that i can't afford to keep treating my diabetes, so in essence, I die, that's life I guess.

Dear tory voters, please feel free to put out 'vote tory twat' signs this coming year, it'll help identify whose skulls to smash in with a mallet - if I'm gonna die, I'm taking as many of you as I can with me. :unsmigghh:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Trickjaw posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but won't this just mean people go to A&E instead?

Those that can, yes, I can't exactly go to A&E for my 3 monthly HBA1c tests

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 7, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Trickjaw posted:

Tsk. More media mud-slinging. I want to write him a letter of support, but thats sadly no longer possible :(

I don't think letters are his favourite thing today - that letter from his schoolmaster that described him as a racist & fascist that was constantly singing hitler youth songs in school, is making the rounds again.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

People visiting GPs with a poorly tummy or a headache are part of the reason why charges are being proposed in the first place.

Which in turn is largely caused by employers that insist on a medical note for every little thing, even if you wake up with an upset stomach. Sure, you COULD go into work and poo poo all over the floor...

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

I'd go with the calling the patient before, during and after the appointment thing, but it'd take (in my office, for instance) at least an extra ten office staff. Which we'll never, ever, ever get.

Pretty sure that texting reminders for your appointments is a feature of System One, and while it's probably not as effective as a personal call, I bet it increases the number of people that attend - the only DNA I've done (assuming we discount ones where I call as soon as possible to say that I can't attend the appointment) was where I got the date wrong on a dietician appointment, so got the 'why aren't you here?' call from her at the time of the appointment.

Of course, System One is specific to this area, and I don't think there's any plan to roll it out nationwide.

I've had a GP that did the call before/after thing before, and I always felt like I was being accused of being a bad patient (I almost died of shame the one DNA I mentioned above, which was with a different GP anyway, so I go out of my way to not be even 1 minute late, etc). That GP was far ahead of the norm though, had electronic automatic patient call in the waiting room, online booking, etc etc 10 years ago.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

HortonNash posted:

The way my GP surgery has reduced missed appointments is to almost entirely eliminate anything other than same day appointments. You want to see the doctor, you ring up at 8:30am and book an appointment for later that day. If you want to see the doctor at another time, you're going to wait a fortnight unless you're booking a follow up appointment in person. You need tests/injections etc, you see the nurse. It seems to work, I've never found myself in a situation where I've had to wait for an urgent appointment.

You don't go to my GP do you, that's exactly how ours does it too.

The 'have to hit redial repeatedly at 8:30 and hope to get in the first 3-4 calls answered' is annoying, but it seems to work. Thankfully the "diabetic clinic" appointments are done the old fashioned way, it would be annoying to have to play the phone roulette for the pair of appointments needed so regularly.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

PoshAlligator posted:

Can you give me some more information on this? I'm in Bristol.

Don't most surgeries have 'Open Surgery' at some point? Ours does, but the problem is it means sitting there for 2-3 hours, and even sitting there 10 minutes for an appointment with my compromised immune system pretty much guarantees I'll come down with something the next day.

e: also, things that are forbidden from open-surgery:

diabetic clinic
prescription renewal/review

which tend to be the two things I go there for the most

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 7, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Facebook is awash with racist fucks that are apparently INCREDIBLY ANGRY about the news that Pizza Express uses halal chicken, but wait, they're not racist, they're just concerned about the poor chickens being killed inhumanely. Some of them are so incensed at this inhumane killing that they're planning on stabbing pigs to death on PE's doorsteps :shrug:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

AFAIK, the rules of halal slaughter mean that animals can't be stunned before being killed so the animal will suffer more than is necessary.

They can be stunned, the problem with a stungun is that there is a number of animals that die instantly, and that renders them haraam, so to be 'sure' then you really have to not stun.

Of course, that ignores that a slaughterhouse can sell those few chicken as 'non halal' to somewhere where it doesn't matter.

It's kinda like the old intel die testing where 'fails' would just get marked as celerons.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Touchdown Boy posted:

If someone on 100k a year thinks they are poor, they should try 10k a year and get back to me.

These articles are click bait, the premise is that they know 100k, 120k, 250k is an 'absurd' amount to be saying 'we're poor' with, they want you to be outraged that someone could be so out of touch, and thus click on the link, then share it with all your friends.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

Not really sure what to make of this. Yay for the alleged lack of profit, but I thought a better reason not to follow Mail links was simply to not give them the audience in the first place. It's not as if any of us were going to buy the actual paper anyway.

We might not buy the paper, but we will share it with our social networks as a 'look how stupid these fucks are' thing, and there may be some in our network that DO then buy it or spend the next hour reading their other articles.

Before you say 'but that won't happen, we're all lefties', the fact that we're talking about links posted to this thread is proof of how it works as they intend - to deny there are right wing posters in this thread would be absurd, so someone sees something ridiculous on their FB feed or something from the mail, posts it here, and who knows, out of the 2000 people that read this thread, maybe 50 of them spend an hour reading the mail's other articles, and sharing the 'more rational' ones with their (presumed right wing) social network.

Even if those 50 don't exist, advertisers don't really care THAT much if a person is left or right leaning, so those 2000 people clicking on the link to be outraged still get exposed to B&Q's latest sale items, or whatever.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

It should be noted that lots of companies moved back to the UK right around then, because the rules on taxing foreign operating companies within the EU changed, so while their bankers may not have liked life in the alps, it almost certainly had more to do with a sudden lack of a financial advantage.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Not Operator posted:

Drove past a UKIP billboard today that had a picture of a panhandling construction worker, and the tagline "Take control of your country," which I read out loud in a Bane voice while imagining Farage blowing up Wembley Stadium. The ensuing conversation kept me and my passenger going until we hit work.

UKIP may not be comic book villains, but they apparently do share rhetoric.

Well, he has said that if they get in power *he personally* will blow up all the wind turbines in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Jedit posted:

"I'm not racist. I love multicultural London, even though it has downsides like knife crime and sex rings."

- a Ukip supporter

:negative:

Pictured, typical immigrant.

• Locked thread