Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think my favourite Tory smear recently is them deriding Miliband's rental market fix as 'Venezuelan-style' Because obviously Hugo Chavez invented rent control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Umiapik posted:

The Tories need to do their sums: there's far more voting renters than there are voting landlords.

Yeah but the difference is the renters don't have any money. The system works!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Answers Me posted:

Well, Jeremy Clarkson did another racism. Maybe he'll finally get the sack this time? http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/01/jeremy-clarkson-not-use-n-word

Nope because he says he didn't say it and he's CLARKY THE LEG-END

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing that gets me about Subway is that you can go to one anywhere in the entire world and they all smell identical. They've all got this weird slightly rank bread smell about them and you don't even have to go in, it extends about ten feet out of the place even when the door's closed

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hbomberguy posted:

No choice but to eat delicious homemade sandwiches every single day? POVERTY TRAP

But making those sandwiches would cut down the amount of time I get to spend watching Jeremy Kyle on my plasma TV

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PoshAlligator posted:

If you're going out for the day like for work or something you can slip a delicious cling-filmed sandwich in that bag.

No one's really arguing against going to Subway or any other fast food place on a whim if you feel like you want to, just perhaps when it can be averted through preparation.

UKMT: Sandwiches.

Subway: Because You Didn't Have Time For Real Food

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Scots are getting subsidised beer for breakfast? That's it, I'm voting UKIP.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TinTower posted:

As someone chemically castrating herself, it's too good for rapists. :colbert:

Nothing's too good for rapists!

no wait poo poo

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hbomberguy posted:

How do I cope with the fact that I am a drop in an ocean and the ocean is poo poo, and also on fire and destroying itself and we're all doomed? This is a genuine question.

Try starting some fires

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KayTee posted:

Golding's appearance on the Daily Politics is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0441qzj/daily-politics-15052014

Skip to 31.30.

e: oh jesus Andrew Neil's face at 41.23. *Grins* "It's just slightly strange, isn't it?" *Grimface*

Well see we've got to give the fascists a platform and equal publicity because then everyone will see how stupid they are and make fun of them until they leave and change their ways and embrace multiculturalism in an unironic manner

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Multiculturalism is basically the best thing ever because let's face it, white people are terrible

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I welcome the re-ordering of the buses into strict halal seating arrangements

By Allah, no longer shall the infidels block the aisles

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So in some kind of news, a passing barrage balloon has weighed in with its considered opinion that UKIP are not, in fact, racist. They're just xenophobic nationalists.

quote:

Eric Pickles: Ukip is not racist

THE UK Independence Party is “über-nationalist” and “xenophobic” rather than being racist, a senior Conservative minister said last night.

Eric Pickles, the Communities Secretary, said that Nigel Farage, Ukip's leader, has preyed on people’s fear of immigration in a “shameful” way and his party contains people who have made “racist calculations”. But Mr Pickles does not believe “in my heart” that the party is racist, he told The Telegraph.

His comments came before Mr Farage took part in a heated radio interview in which he was accused of running a “divisive” and “racist” organisation.

In the live interview with LBC radio, Mr Farage suggested that people “know” which foreigners make good neighbours as he struggled to justify his opposition to European immigration, despite being married to a German.

David Cameron said Mr Farage’s comments were “unpleasant”. Voting for Ukip “sends a terrible message about Britain”, he said.
Ed Miliband entered the debate as he promised that Labour would “never again turn our backs” on people who are concerned about immigration.

But he ruled out setting targets over the numbers of foreigners in Britain.

Mr Pickles’s comments come before the European elections on Thursday. Ukip is expected to beat the Conservatives, with some polls predicting the party could finish first above Labour. However,

There are concerns that Ukip is being damaged by a series of allegations about racist and homophobic comments made by some of its candidates.

Mr Pickles insisted that Ukip was xenophobic. “Xenophobia is the fear of anything that’s different, anything that’s unusual, that’s slightly foreign,” he said.

“In a way, they are a sort of über-nationalist party.”

Senior Conservatives have in recent weeks repeatedly refused to say whether they regard Ukip as racist, despite criticising the comments made by the party’s candidates. Mr Farage was criticised over his appearance on LBC radio. A party aide tried to stop the interview as Mr Farage was asked whether he would submit the party’s European expenses to an official auditor.

The Ukip leader has previously said that hearing foreign languages on public transport makes him feel “awkward” and “uncomfortable”. Asked whether that applied to his wife, a German speaker, Mr Farage said: “I don’t suppose she speaks it on the train, you know.”

Mr Farage also stood by comments made earlier this year that he would be “concerned” if he had Romanian neighbours. Asked why they would be different to Germans, Mr Farage replied: “You know what the difference is.”

He added: “We want an immigration policy that is not just based on controlling not just quantity but quality”.

Mr Miliband refused to set a target for the number of foreigners who should be allowed to enter Britain.

The Labour leader insisted that he would “bear down” on immigration but declined to make “false promises” to voters about the numbers of foreigners coming to Britain.

He said previous Labour administrations had “too often dismissed people’s concerns” about immigration.

Well that's okay then! Is he just being pedantic, or is this a deliberate strategy? Seems like the Tories might be worried that if they brand UKIP racist then their own efforts to restrict immigration and grab the dickhead vote might be open to the same charge. Or maybe his plan is to grab the EDL vote by using so many long words that all they catch is "UKIP aren't racist" before their eyes glaze over and they vote for the gang of fascists who might have a chance at winning something

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 17, 2014

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A rising tide lifts all boats!

Hope you peasants are up to date on your yacht payments

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack the Lad posted:

Farage is basically Gandhi.

Imagine the headlines if a hindu assassinates him

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So our Glorious Leader stuck his foot in it with regards to Russia and apparently it's serious enough to reignite tensions in Ukraine? What?

quote:

Prince Charles proves he's a chip off the old block after Hitler-Putin gaffe
Heir to British throne compares Russian leader to Nazi dictator in 'private' remark that stirs up storms from Halifax to Moscow

It was, said Marianne Ferguson, "just a little remark. I didn't think it was going to make such a big uproar."

But – after the Prince of Wales told the 78-year-old during a royal visit to Canada that he thought Vladimir Putin was behaving like Adolf Hitler – Downing Street, Buckingham Palace, Ed Miliband, the Kremlin and even Nigel Farage were sucked into a controversy that sparked a call for Charles to abdicate.

Ferguson, a volunteer at the Canadian Museum of Immigration in Halifax, had told the heir to the throne about her flight from Poland to Canada in 1939 and how the family she left behind perished in Nazi camps. He then reportedly said: "And now Putin is doing just about the same as Hitler."

In a flash of royal diplomacy worthy of his father's famous gaffes, Charles had blundered far beyond his usual "meddling" interventions in architecture, the environment and medicine into a simmering international conflict.

Ferguson said she agreed with him and said his comments were "very heartfelt and honest", but the royal remarks swept around the world.

Dmitry Peskov, a spokesman for Putin, who was in China, said the Kremlin was "not commenting right now", but the popular Russian daily paper Moskovskij Komsomolets said the remarks risked "triggering an international scandal" and complicated "clouded" UK-Russian relations.

"Good old Charley," commented one anti-Russia activist in Ukraine on the Facebook page of Euromaidan, which helped organise the protests in the Ukrainian capital, Kiev, that led to the ousting of the pro-Russia president Viktor Yanukovych.

Labour MP Mike Gapes, a current member and former chairman of the House of Commons foreign affairs committee, said the prince should have kept his views private. The Ilford South MP tweeted: "If Prince Charles wants to make controversial statements on national or international issues, he should abdicate and stand for election."

There was no sign that Charles was perturbed by the uproar. During a visit to an aircraft hangar in Winnipeg he good-naturedly aimed paper aeroplanes at the press corps.

In London, David Cameron and Ed Miliband offered Charles some backing, if only for his right to the freedom of expression, in private at least. The Labour leader told Sky News: "I think lots of people across the country will share Prince Charles's concern about President Putin and his actions in the Ukraine. I think it's also the case that Prince Charles should be entitled to have private conversations with an individual and those are private conversations. I'm not going to comment on the detail of those conversations.

"I think he has got a point about President Putin's actions and I think he is absolutely entitled to say that there are real concerns about that."

Cameron tried to avoid commenting on the issue despite being asked repeatedly in an interview on Radio 4's The World at One. "Everyone is entitled to their private views," he said, a position echoed by the Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg, who said Charles should be "free to express himself".

Clegg would not be drawn on whether the Hitler/Putin comparison was fair, but said: "Right now I think the behaviour of Putin is not only menacing to Ukraine but it is very destabilising for Europe more generally."

Why the gently caress did we vote for this guy again?

Oh and I can't vote because I'm out of the country and all so spoil a ballot for me

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 22, 2014

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zero Gravitas posted:

And is there a website to check for the nearest polling station? I know mine is a church somewhere nearby but I have a choice of four. :/

EDIT: I was about to post "Nevermind, found one!It only works for London though (http://www.londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/where-vote)" and then:

:negative:

What a loving useless website.

Space is great and all but I just don't recognise your posts since you gave up the fight against liberalism

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just wait a couple months, if the Republicans sweep the US elections in November it's only a matter of time before they start launching eagles into space to show the Chinese who's boss

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Serotonin posted:

Because he's a sad inadequate racist.

Inadequate? Man that aint nice, don't knock him on the only thing he's actually good at

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So has Farage appeared astride a giant to declare he runs Bartertown yet

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SybilVimes posted:

Surely if 1987 was the peak, and they started monitoring in 1983, then it was obvious that it was going up sometimes as well?

According to this graph I culled from over here, it's been consistently going up and down for the last 30 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fluo posted:

:spergin: Tennent's isn't real ale.

It will be once we otherthrow the CAMRA

• Locked thread