Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I find the idea of Nigel Farage having any electoral prospects whatsoever baffling since the first time I saw him.

A more obvious looking shyster i have never seen. I wouldn't trust him with control of the office paperclips never mind any actual power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

baka kaba posted:

That's pretty much the 'my best friend is ~minority~' argument though. Most people who have lovely attitudes about groups are respectful towards individual members of that group, because they're suddenly actual people instead of a faceless mass you can stereotype from a distance. That's why calling them out on their racism is usually met with protestations that they can't be racist, because they get on fine with those people! If anything that proves how objective they must be with their generalisations!

Indeed, I had a long dead great uncle who was Racist as gently caress. Not a good word to say about any minority, especially black people, and not shy about it. Just eye-rollingly terrible. My younger sister when she was a child used to stay with my Grandmother who shared the house with the Uncle. For a few years she took her best friend a black girl with her. Said uncle loved her, got along great, was delighted to see her again. Did it change his opinion about Black people in general, of course not, but of course Emily was alright. Cognitive dissonance.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Pasco posted:

Postal vote for the EU election came today.

11 parties listed. 3 openly racist, 3 'UKIP' racist, 1 'UKIP of the left', the usual suspects and the Greens.

gently caress this country.

Oh i don't know, with any luck the knuckle-draggers will split the vote and render themselves irrelevant.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Out of morbid interest i'm going to look at the UKIP manifesto.

http://www.ukip.org/issues

"Free trade, but not political union, with our European neighbours. " - This is the single dumbest thing about UKIP. If we want to trade with the EU, we have to obey there laws and regulations, only we'll no longer have power over them. This isn't hypothetical by the way, this how it works with Norway who've signed up with EFTA. Oh and you have to pay hefty membership fees as well.

"Save £55m a day in membership fees by leaving the EU and give British workers first crack at the 800,000 jobs we currently advertise to EU workers." - Tough luck for the 2.3 million Brits living in the EU, 400,000 of whom are pensioners. Guess you're all have to come home too.

"Binding local and national referenda, at the public’s request, on major issues." - And we could call it the 'Witch Hunters Charter'.

" Cut all green taxes and wind turbine subsidies." - Guess what the UKIP positon on climate change is? Go on, take as many goes as you like. I need hardly add that all the claims they've made about wind turbines turn out to be bullshit.

"Develop shale gas to reduce energy bills and free us from dependence on foreign oil and gas - place the tax revenues into a British Sovereign Wealth Fund." - Frakking for everyone! Hope you like funny tasting drinking water, remember Climate change is a myth. Also the noble energy companies will sell us the gas super cheap and not just put it up on the global market for sale.

"Make cuts to foreign aid that are real and rigorous." - Annnnnddddd i'm done here. I'm sick of wading though this sewage. Yes the 0.7% of our budget we spend on trying to alleviate global suffering is clearly a ghastly mistake that must be remedied.

There's more, but i'm losing the will to live.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

He did go to an independent school, St Dunstan's College, which these days would set you back a cool £15,060 a year. As far as I can tell it was his mother's father who was the High Court judge, Sir Helenus Milmo.

He really shouldn't even be in the Labour Party, but I suppose that's a ship that sailed 20 years ago.

Blimey, i went to St Dunstans. Didn't pay for it, on the long now abolished Assisted place scheme. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_Places_Scheme

From his age, he must have entered the same year i left.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Froodulous posted:

"Britain is full of foreigners. That's why I left" without a hint of irony.

I found myself watching a brilliant program a few years ago. "Places in the Sun" or some such title. Brit ex-pats trying to open businesses overseas.

There was one guy trying to break into the Spanish night club scene, you know the full club 18-30 Costa del sol drunken excess. He wasn't doing very well because his club was a bit of the main drag.

They got a business consultant in, they try the usual, promotions, competitions, etc. Nothing no bodys going to stagger an extra half mile to get pissed and cop off when there's a dozen rival clubs on the way. So they suggested they try and turn it into a club for the actual locals. So over the next few months they hire Spanish staff, start playing Spanish music, trying to attract locals.

Result? Brilliant. Business is booming, the club is popular and he's got an all year around clientle rather than just seasonal.

Trouble is this idiot is an archetypal, won't learn to speak the language, loves England so much he doesn't want to live there, English ex-pat.

Seriously, I have never seen a man more resentful of his own success in my entire life. He's all "I don't really like spanish music", "it's not how i intended it to be". He's got a thriving business, but because it's full of happy well-behaved Spanish locals not Drunken brits he's just not happy. Crazy.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I cycle a lot. By the end of the summer my arms and the back of my hands are a rich brown tan. My fingers, which are curled around the handle bars, are the pale white of a dead fish.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Umiapik posted:

I read that headline and immediately knew it was a Telegraph article. That paper particularly specializes in tear-jerking articles about how beaten down and misunderstood very rich people actually are.

I also stumbled across this today, about Thomas Pikettys Capital in the 21st Century.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jeremywarner/100027209/cant-be-bothered-to-read-piketty-heres-a-cheats-guide/

Article admits no one (and you can believe they've looked) can find flaws in his methodology or data but still

Quote:

"So do we just have to accept that Piketty is right?" -

" - Not at all. He is completely wrong".

So why do the collected intellectual titans of the Telegraph conclude this in defiance of what they themselves were forced to admit is the evidence?

Because poor people today have fridges and televisions unlike they're 19th century equivalent, so obviously vast inequalites just don't matter. Also the dirty Frog is allegedly a wife beater.

Hurrah! And Capitalism was saved! Bonuses for everyone, by which we only mean bonuses for bankers, zero-hour contracts for everyone else.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

SybilVimes posted:

Hey, his name sounds a BIT like Farage, it might work as a trick to get the 'really loving stupid racist' vote.

I like this idea.

"Ok Mr Farron congratulations on your election. Now we want you to never be seen in public without a pint in one hand, a cigarette in the other. And a look of inhuman smugness on your face"

"Why do i hav - Just trust us sir, it's all part of the plan."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

notaspy posted:

so what happens to the 1.2m brits living in europe if we walk away?

Is there any reliable number on Brits living abroard. Way earlier up thread i quoted 2.3 million living in Europe, which is what a quick search had told me. A slightly more thorough look finds estimates(guesses)all over the drat place.

• Locked thread