Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
I think it's rather sad that it's taken a case involving the Prime Minister's brother for legal aid cuts to become such a scandal.

If Grayling goes, Cameron is going to be inundated with conflict of interest accusations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
From browsing Twitter his core audience was swallowing his drivel with enthusiasm and this apology was probably to save face for the commentators and BBC management.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
If you don't salt your own beef (or get your butcher to do it) you're a slave to the sandwich industry imo.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
UKIP's "small & medium business spokesperson" is Pakistani, his website is an absolute delight

http://www.amjadbashir.co.uk

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Gone home for the weekend, watching Question Time with my drunk Dad shouting at politicians. Rule Britannia.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
I like that the police don't know how to handle social media. It's a much better situation than having legislation that would no doubt put it on par with libel/defamation laws which is the worst thing that could possibly happen. Not saying this isn't a terrible incident of course.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Well I suppose the co-operative movement was good while it lasted, but in the name of the competition, the business and the holy money it is to be "reformed" in conjunction with Baron Myners.

I usually find conspiracies a little silly but the movement's fall from grace in the last few years has been so strange.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

Spangly A posted:

Well.

Serco find out one of their employees is raping internees at a detention centre. They cover it up, someone leaks it. They've been forced to admit it and will now have to enter discussions to compensate MP speechwriters for whatever bullshit they can come up with to wash this one away.

I was a guest at an event Serco hosted last year, met some of the top brass (ex armed forces officers and Whitehall sorts mostly). They had a fixation on completing contracts for their "clients" by any means necessary, as if they were vital to society. Sometimes I wonder if they're right.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Quite happy I voted for the Greens, can see their presence in the EU being quite positive for certain directives.
Won't be going anywhere near them next year though.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

quote:

In a given region the allocated seats are awarded using a quota system. The quota is the total number of votes received by a party or independent
candidate divided by the number of seats already gained in that region +1.

So, for a party with no seats the number of votes received is divided by one, and so stays the same. If the party already has one seat then its number of votes is divided by two, if it has two seats it is divided by three, and so on.

This means that the more seats you have already won, the harder it is to gain extra seats, so the overall allocation of seats is more proportional to the number of votes received.

The first seat that a party wins goes to the first person on its list, the second seat to the second person, and so on, until the party has either not won any more seats or has run out of names on its list. An independent candidate is treated as though he or she were a party with only one name on its list.

tl;dr It's PR in terms of allocation.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
I hope Nate Silver covers the elections next year because relying on the BBC for coverage is poo poo.

Give me graphs, exit polls etc.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

big scary monsters posted:

Is there any chance that the Tories and Labour will let up a bit on their anti-immigration spiel now? I know that UKIP's rise seems like it would make them redouble their efforts, but nobody would take UKIP the slightest bit seriously if mainstream parties hadn't been blaming all the country's ills on foreigners and the EU for the last few years.

Ed Miliband: I'll win back UKIP voters before election
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27533330

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Nationalism is totes lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
oh noooo

• Locked thread