Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

JFairfax posted:

They will have a corporate scent. Lots of places to it. Pump in smells through the air conditioning, not just food places.

Lush makes me feel queasy whenever I pass one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

I won't bother making a bet that whoever buys the place will do exactly that in order to turn a quick profit; nobody here would take it.

I'd take it as I don't believe the mountain he's selling has tenants.

E: Oops there's another page

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Nonsense posted:

The people of the UK ARE PAID TOO MUCH all the SCROUNGERS and FOREIGNERS are STEALING.

You're foreign

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

I had a landlord once who kept all his paperwork in the loft in my flat, rented it as furnished but couldn't get the sofa he bought into the flat so that I had to bring my own sofa from storage, then accused me of stealing my own sofa when I left, took me "out to dinner" to basically infer to me that he was part of the Croydon mafia, and kept ringing me at work to threaten me about beating the money out of me for the furniture after I left.

I did, however, rent via a letting agency who for once were totally on my side, changed the locks so he couldn't come and go as he pleased and informed him of my rights. So there was that at least.

Also rented a flat where one of the bedrooms was locked, as a shrine to the son who had died in it. The door was glass panelled. Not at all creepy.

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 14, 2014

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Umiapik posted:

Extradition of criminals is utterly unacceptable when the criminals happen to be upper-middle class English people:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10832695/Paramedics-called-to-home-of-extradition-couple-who-made-suicide-pact.html

The Telegraph's reported on this case a few times now. It always gives the couple's side of the story uncritically, completely fails to investigate the case against them and does it's best to overlook the fact that they've already had a judgment against them in a civil court in the USA.

Sounds like this should never have been a criminal case and highlights how badly someone can manipulate US law if they have enough money.

Which source are you using which shows damning evidence against them and that money laundering should even be brought up?

Also, what does class have to do with this story? It sounds to me like they were self made and not capable of sticking their paws into daddy's money to fight this, quite unlike the privilege being displayed by the plaintiff.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

It assumes that the people who vote for UKIP aren't nodding their heads in agreement to the assertion that Romanians are criminals and it's a breach of the peace when people speak foreign in public. I don't think that assumption is correct.

All the finance and hypocrisy stuff won't come out until the Sun starts going after them in the run up to the general election.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

You're all picking up on the racism but failing to pick up on this

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Maybe we are all tired of voting for our fathers party.

As if UKIP aren't a party beloved by old white men who think conservatives aren't like they used to be.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Trickjaw posted:

There was somewhere else in London, I think, that is viewed as an early indicator of next year, just because the council is a Con-Lib Dem coalition. Can't remember it for the life of me.

Redbridge.

Labour also took Hammersmith and Fulham from the Tories, which is mainly down to how badly the incumbents were managing it, being a regular entry in Rotten Boroughs, and Merton from NOC (the Labour led council is pretty good here).

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

forgive me for not doubting everything and jumping to Wikipedia to clarify everything that I come across in my life.

For those that don't understand why UKIP are doing so well, here it is

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

happyhippy posted:

I think we need a new TV series of Alf Garnett who is a UKIP supporter.
Someone contact the BBC stat!

BBC will pass, Channel 5 will be all over it

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Jippa posted:

What do you think their "response" will be?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27583545

The photo on that is perfect

Cameron looking concerned and willing to make the tough decisions
Clegg looking worriedly over his shoulder
Miliband looking both smug and humble at the same time
Farage in a pub

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Ban all buy to let mortgages.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Zephro posted:

Some people I know in their early 50s, who have (on paper) done very well out of rising prices in London and the South East, are just now beginning to realise what a massive problem this is now that their own kids are entering the workforce and finding that they're paying £800 a month to rent a windowless closet twenty minutes from a Tube stop somewhere in Zone 5.

There's a shitload of entitlement that thinks young people should be able to afford a decent place in a decent part of London straight out of college. There are still loads of affordable areas in zone 5. £800 a month gets you a one bed flat near East Croydon which is only 20 minutes to Victoria. £450 a month gets you a room in a houseshare in zone 3 Tooting, 30 minutes on the Northern line.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

£800 a month is an absolute fuckload of money (almost 50% of take-home pay for someone on the London median wage, plus you have to add on £200 for your zone 1-5 travelcard). It speaks volumes that you think spending way over half your wages just on rent and travel is reasonable.

For context 20 years ago £100 a week (which is close enough to £800 a month in today's money), would have got you a one-bed flat on the Isle of Dogs or a 2-bed house with garden out in Plaistow.

Housing prices are insane, and saying "well it's very slightly less insane in this particular area" is ridiculous.

I was quoting that specific figure from the previous post, in reference to someone in their 50's being upset about how poor their life is because what a dump £800 gets their kid. I also put in the cost of a zone 3 house share for good measure. And unless everyone in here is pushing 50, I doubt we all have the benefit of knowing first hand "well, it was like that 20 years ago so"?

We are all of a generation where the preceding generation hosed us over with regards to property. I bypassed a lifetime of being a rent slave by moving to the West Midlands, buying a house, and pumping every last penny of our joint income into equity so we could afford not to worry about renting. I did this in my 30's. My 20's were spent pissing money up the wall on rent and alcohol and trying to get at least a pound into the black every payday. For reference, I started out on £100 a week living in a £60 bedsit, so I like to think I did have some knowledge of what it's like to be poor and only able to afford to eat pasta and noodles.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

El Scotch posted:

Not only a class society, but a zone society.

I'm zone 4 mate, no one even knows we exist

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

El Scotch posted:

Would you prefer to be a zone 1 prole or a zone 5 middle-class.

There are 6 Greater London zones, then all the home counties not wanting to feel left out got zones 7-9 for the bits around the M25. You can't just think 5, you're disestablishing vast swathes of suburbia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Zero Gravitas posted:

Borrowing 75% of their value and spending 10% on renovation.

Something tells me this woman is mortgaged to the loving hilt and it will go spectacularly tits up come the next financial crisis. I dont care so much for her and her stupidity, but those poor buggers shes got as tenants who will be evicted as she has to flog the properties off.

Even if she had full equity, it's better to mortgage BTL because of tax breaks, or something.

It's loving outrageous.

• Locked thread