Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

a pipe smoking dog posted:

A major fraud trial has just been stayed because the defendants can't afford proper representation because of the legal aid cuts to very high cost crimes, which basically means that it is now impossible for the crown to prosecute in complex cases. Really Chris Grayling should be forced to resign over this but I doubt it will even make the lunchtime news.

Also the defence barrister (working pro bono) is Alexander Cameron QC better known as the PMs brother.

This decision is both amusing and incredibly serious, and the fact the entire thing was pulled off by Cameron's brother working pro bono heads off all the "lefty liberal lawyer" rubbish.

The last few paragraphs of the judgement have, essentially, made complex fraud de facto legal. If you can make your case complicated enough, the judicial system is now unable to prosecute you. The CPS cannot request eternal adjournments to wait until something changes so they can prosecute as this is against a defendant's right to a speedy trial.

quote:

84. Having considered all these matters I am compelled to conclude that, to allow the State an adjournment to put right its failure to provide the necessary resources to permit a fair trial to take place now amounts to a violation of the process of this court.

85. The knock-on effect on other trials, the waste of court resources and the need to disregard the Criminal Procedure Rules designed to protect the court system from abuse and to ensure that scare resources are used to best effect all, in my judgment, add to the reasons why an adjournment should not be granted.

86. Even if I am wrong about that, I further find that there is no realistic prospect that sufficient advocates would be available for this case to be tried in January 2015 from any of the sources available to the defence, including the PDS. Whatever reason is put forward by the party applying, the court does not ordinarily grant adjournments on a speculative basis.

87. It would be unconscionable to put this trial off to September 2015 with the second trial being heard in 2016. On what I now know, there is no basis on which I could find that the availability of advocates would be any different then than it will be in January 2015. In addition it is likely to lead to a violation of the reasonable time requirement in Article 6(1).

88. In those circumstances I stay the proceedings against these five defendants.

Grayling has so hosed everything.

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

Adrianics posted:

Can I just make sure my understanding's correct: David Cameron's brother has just successfully argued that it's impossible for a major fraud trial to go ahead, as the defendants cannot get fair representation due to legal aid cuts? So a Coalition policy has directly led to a huge loophole meaning major fraud cases are impossible to bring to trial?

Because if so, loving hell.

Your understanding is pretty much spot on, except it applies to all complex cases in theory, it's just that white collar fraud tends to be more complex than other types of crime.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

ookiimarukochan posted:

That would involve BTL landlords not having mortgages to pay, which I can't imagine being the case.

If you rent a house out you're stupid not to have a mortgage as you can offset the interest on it against your income, the current system literally encourages it.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

Airports are weird. I don't think all that many people have a couple of beers with their croissant at half five in the morning even in Glasgow, but in the airport lounge today it seems to be the standard breakfast.

Could it be that the EU is to blame??

At an airport it is OK to drink if:

1) It's currently past 12pm
2) It's past 12pm in the timezone you are traveling to
3) It's past 12pm in the timezone you were traveling from
4) You're bored

HTH.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

Jedit posted:

I must repeat for the benefit of Gorn and similar idiots: the candidates don't see that cock and balls you drew, senior count officials don't see it either. Nobody sees it except the count team, most of whom are low paid council workers trying to make a bit of extra cash. Literally all you are doing is shoving obscene images in the faces of the people who least deserve it and whose side you claim to be on. Grow the gently caress up, all of you.

Not voting because you don't agree with any of the parties is indistinguishable from not voting because you're apathetic and lazy. Spoiled votes are counted and show the number of people motivated enough to go to the polling office and register an opinion, even though that opinion is "gently caress this poo poo".

Until we get a "None of the above" option, you absolutely 100% SHOULD go and spoil your vote if the alternative is not voting at all.*

* The upcoming Euro elections are proportional representation though, so you should go and vote for the party you most agree with. Spoiling votes is for archaic non-representative FPTP bullshit systems only.

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 9, 2014

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

Party Boat posted:

The police have now released a statement confirming that a UKIP councillor made the complaint.

drat, I wish I could wind-up a UKIP councillor enough over Twitter to get them to call the police on me, I need to try harder. Do we know which councillor it was, I'd like to tweet them this:

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

I found it on another forum, didn't make it, don't know who made it, it just made me chuckle. Tweet at UKIP councillors to your heart's content.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

You HAVE to watch this LBC mauling of Farage from today, it's frigging glorious.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/watch-nigel-farage-v-james-obrien-live-from-1130-90532

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

So I'm voting in the Euro elections this Thursday, and my area is the South-West. Would this thread's fine Internet detectives kindly fill me in on which candidates are poo poo, which are less poo poo, and which are hardly poo poo at all? I'm discounting the Tories, the BNP, the English Democrats, UKIP, and An Independence From Europe for obvious reasons.

Same region, I'm gonna vote Green even though it pains me to do so because of their loving stupid views on nuclear power. They were polling higher than the Lib-Dems last time I checked, so they do actually have a chance at a seat.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

Kin posted:

2) Yeah, i would have considered £30 a month for internet to be pretty steep but because i was having to pay more for that for their ADSL package it doesn't really feel as steep anymore. Plus, i kinda feel like it's worth it for the speeds i'm getting, i mean, I can download a Gigabyte in a minute which is crazy.

You guys are all having a laugh surely? Try living in bloody Gloucestershire and see how you get on with internet. I get 3Mbps on a good day, and that's with some serious tweaking at the router level to push the SNR down as low as it will possibly go. For this amazing 3Mbps down / 672Kbps up connection I pay the bargain price of... £31.49/month! I do get a 50GB allowance though, which luckily at 3Mbps is plenty because everything takes so bloody long to download you tend not to bother, so it's not all terrible.

It'd be nice if BT got off their arses and actually rolled out the super-fast broadband we've subsidised to the tune of millions. But no, having won every single tender countrywide, they are now rolling it out at the slowest rate humanly possible.

I'm not bitter about these things though, don't worry, so by all means keep moaning about how awful your £20 fibre connections are, you loving bastards.

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 21, 2014

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

Fluo posted:

No, it should be a system which isn't biased. If it was biased towards smaller parties half of the EU would be the fourth Reich. España 2000, SRP, National Renovator Party, BNP, National Front (Albania), National Popular Front, Workers' Party (Czech Republic), Greater Romania Party, Brothers of Italy – National Alliance, Croatian Party of Rights, Slovak National Party, Golden Dawn, Attack, Order and Justice, Vlaams Belang, National Democratic Party. The list goes on like the Netherland's Party for Freedom. Bias either way is bad and wanting it so your politics is louder then others is wrong and self absorbed. What you should be saying is "It should be non-biased" not "it should be biased for MY POLITICS". It's democracy.

Bias is both a noun and a verb, you are using the wrong form in many places and I am in an anally-retentive arsehole-on-the-internet kind of mood so I have corrected them all for you. You are very welcome.

PS - I agree with your point but it assumes there is an ideal, completely unbiased system, which obviously there isn't so we need to make a call on the least lovely option (or in the case of the UK, wholeheartedly vote to stick with by far the MOST lovely option).

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

So far I have seen three Asian UKIP members standing for a seat and one African descent. Are 'they' the people you refer too? I am pretty sure a white supremacist party would not have coloureds? I don't know maybe im stupid, could you explain it to me please? Or are you part of the ignorant scare mongering brigade that doesn't like change? Even a Labour MP stated this morning that this smear campaign will have to stop now as UKIP needs to be taken seriously and worked with from now on.

Obviously the BNP can't be racist, they have a black person in the party!

e: Sorry, I meant a coloured.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I see, so now you are saying UKIP isn't a racist party anymore but its members may be racist? That applies to all the parties then doesn't it?

Uh, what? You said UKIP can't be racist, they have "coloureds" in the party. I showed you a picture of a Sikh BNP member which kind of unravels that point slightly, so then you go off on a tangent about only people are racist not parties.

Is your point that neither the BNP nor UKIP are in fact racist? I'm confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

First UKIP councillor suspended over claims of homophobia and racism, so that took what, half a working day or so?

It was Dave Small from Redditch if anyone wants to look him up, will edit a story in here when one pops up but it's the guy that was involved in this story: http://www.redditchstandard.co.uk/2014/05/23/news-New-UKIP-councillor-in-homophobic-comments-row-107371.html

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 27, 2014

• Locked thread