Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ookiimarukochan posted:

That would involve BTL landlords not having mortgages to pay, which I can't imagine being the case.

mortgages with T&Cs attached making sure they rent the property out for as much as possible

quite disapointing that Milliband says that any existing BtL mortgage that specifies no rental terms greater than one year (ie most of them) will be exempt from the law guaranteeing the availibilty of 3 year tennancy agreements. why not just render that clause of mortgage contract unenforcable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

it's very tabloid to throw around the 4 years figure.
the sentence is 8 and there's no guarantee he'll get out any earlier. especially not if he keeps up his 'take the piss out of the victims and who no contrition' act.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

namesake posted:

Probably would be a pretty good gimmick to speak to people coming back from France about what duty free they've brought back and how much they'd owe if we left the EU and started restricting personal inports/charging tax on them.

booze & fags are cheaper in france, but 'duty free' it ain't

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

LemonDrizzle posted:

It's possible that the "stupid reason" was that a majority of the respondents did in fact say yes.

without meaning to imply anything about this particular piece that i've not seen, it's always worth remembering that journalists being lazy / under time pressure are notorious for seeking out candidates for vox pops / picking in editing those that will fit the story they've already written.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Do you really want to stick a bargain store special down your pee hole?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

RMT have suspended tonight's tube strike, shocking nobody.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Hi guys. I hear that the neighbouring field has more vibrant grass. Confirm / deny?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

LemonDrizzle posted:

AFAIK, the rules of halal slaughter mean that animals can't be stunned before being killed so the animal will suffer more than is necessary.
not very far it seems

quote:

http://www.pizzaexpressnews.com/chicken-dishes-at-pizzaexpress/
At PizzaExpress the quality and integrity of our ingredients remain our number one priority, and we have always been happy to provide information on our ingredients to our guests.

It is no secret that all the chicken used in our dishes is halal slaughtered. Our teams in restaurants have and always will provide this information, and in addition it is available on the customer service section of our website. We are looking at what steps we can take to make this information even clearer through our menus.

We’re committed to high animal welfare standards and as such the birds are stunned before slaughter. The quality, safety and integrity of our products is paramount and our chicken supplier is accredited by the British Retail Consortium. This means it meets the global standard for food safety. None of our other meats are halal.

anyway, pizza express don't use free range chickens - another thing that's never been a secret - so nobody eating there gives a gently caress about animal cruelty.

edit: left that tab open a bit long oops

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Spangly A posted:

Also if you aren't defacing UKIP billboards then you're all terrible lefties and should be ashamed. gently caress all advertisement on the principle of "rich people deserve to gently caress with your brain" but gently caress it even more when it's racist.

haven't actually seen any in real life
sorry you all live in places even shitter than me

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Too late and what's worse, I'm doing an MBA.

How does your MBA course fee compare to the visa fee? That's why they charge so much for the visa. Because they can.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

shrike82 posted:

60,000 GBP for 2 years.

it was a rhetorical question.

point being anyone who's already paying (or having a sponsor pay) that kind of tuition fee won't blink at the visa fee, even if it's annoying.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Seaside Loafer posted:

To make it clear, I'm simply suggesting that if you are piss poor like me this is the go to account type. No you don't get any interest but it would be gently caress all anyway but if you cock up you don't get a fee. That sounds perfect to me.

If you are a rich type i expect it wouldnt help you.

have you taken any time today to read the rest of the t&cs ?
obviously they aren't just throwing open the gates with accounts that are exactly the same as regular, but with this added bonus. it'd be interesting if there were situations (for the 'piss poor' maybe) where they might be really good.

i know that when people have done comparisons before on "no interest" mortgages that have people buy from the bank an increased share of ownership each month they actually work out a little bit poo poo, but not outrageous.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Trickjaw posted:

Hang on. Why is Labour on a higher % but with a lower bar on the graph? Are they trying to hoodwink people who do not know about numbers?

no poo poo sherlock

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Trickjaw posted:

You are always a delight. Stay a while.

cheers

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

General China posted:

No, its a last resort of an independence movement to gain political status for its prisoners. To gain the maximum effect you delay each prisoner starting to go on hunger strike so they die one at a time for maximum effect.

Then the uk government gives no fucks.

And ten people die.

edit- I think this is is great- the Iranians rename a street called Winston Churchill Road to Bobby Sands Road.

not just 'a street', but the site of the british embassy in tehran. prompting them to brick up the entrance to use a side door instead and replace all the headed paper.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

it's never worth the hassle of dealing with yodel.
just cancel the order, get a refund from the vendor and tell them that's why.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

a first amendment to what?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

SybilVimes posted:

I'm not sure there's any potential way to get such a tattoo and it not say 'I'm a giant raging nazi' to anyone that sees it though - so probably best to get it dive bombing your anus.

Most tattoo artists nowadays will flat out refuse anything like that. If you go for something a bit more obscure than a massive Nazi eagle you might get lucky if they don't realise.
Those artists who are willing acquire a reputation for it. And will lose a lot of regular customers who don't want to associate with that sort of crowd.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

QuantumCrayons posted:

When a normal company has a terrible data breach or data loss, they often go under within a year.

Haha. Not true in the cast majority if cases.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Same region, I'm gonna vote Green even though it pains me to do so because of their loving stupid views on nuclear power. They were polling higher than the Lib-Dems last time I checked, so they do actually have a chance at a seat.

That's a common refrain in this thread. I think people significantly overestimate what sway local councils and / or the European Parliament have over nuclear power in the UK which really is a matter for Westminster.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

StarkingBarfish posted:

What is the legal definition of a service provider? Like, if you have a wireless AP in your house can you argue you're an ISP to anyone in receiving range (even if you give nobody the password)?

If you want to be laughed out of court, go for it.
That's some gold-fringed-flags level of argument there.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Lord Twisted posted:

Why don't they just attack UKIPs actual loving policies? I have no idea where they stand on education and the economy.

neither do ukip
they're a policy vacuum

when asked in an interview recently about the contents of their 2010 manifesto, and other stuff on their website Farage basically disavowed it all.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

lolling

quote:

An internal Liberal Democrat document reveals that the party is braced for a complete wipeout in the European parliamentary elections.

Senior party figures have been briefed to say that a failure to win any seats should be "expected" at this stage in the electoral cycle for a governing party.

The document, the contents of which have been leaked to the Guardian, advises Lib Dem spokespeople about what to say if the party wins between no seats and two seats in Strasbourg.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Polls are open. Get out and vote Labour - the only viable left wing alternative to the Tories.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Lady Gaza posted:

...Owen Jones??

Zero Gravitas posted:

Laurie Penny? Some other idiot on the Guardian payroll?

Me.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

frankly i don't trust anyone who gets up early to vote before work.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

haakman posted:

Voted spunking cock - please tell me how I shoul of voted for some batshit anti nuke party.

by putting a single cross in the box against their candidate (in council elections) or the party name (in the Euro elections).
entirely within the box, and with no other marks on the ballot paper.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

CountButtula posted:

Voted Green despite one of their supporters a being massive oval office and equating non-voters to the workshy

that was very big of you. don't know that many people could overlook the comments of one whole person who happens to suppor the party.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

there is no perfect voting system and they all contain their own biases and quirks.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

TinTower posted:

One of my major issues with voting Green is their HS2 opposition, actually. The science and nuclear policy, I can have confidence will eventually come around to acceptability. I fear that the HS2 policy will stay because of the power of the North London liberal intelligensia.

given the Greens won't be in power after then 2015 election, hopefully HS2 will have passed the point of no return before they ever do.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm all for the idea of a high-speed rail linking London with the north but HS2 is just terrible. It goes ALL THE WAY TO LEEDS!!! I mean come on, you'd think they'd at least connect London to Edinburgh but as it stands it barely covers half the country. I'm also seriously sceptical about putting a ton of money into something like that while local rail networks on the periphery (Wales, the North-East etc) are so woefully inadquate. Just screams to me 'London's getting a big new showpiece/toy for the rich' more than anything else.

:eng101: hs2 is proposed to go to newcastle, glasgow & edinburgh

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Zephro posted:

You could spend a hundredth of the money for ten times the benefit with a universal service obligation for broadband, though :/

"He needs body armour not a revised voting system"

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

Probably a stupid question but why don't they use pens (like the little ones in betting shops), just to avoid stupid accusations of this kind.

Though I have to admit I went to the polling station without the voting card and they didn't even ask for ID when I said my name and address. If I knew someone with a different polling station wasn't going to vote I could easily have just gone and voted as them. The system seems open to abuse. It really should all be digitised in some form these days.

polls are open for 15 hours. bookies pens are so poo poo they don't even last that.

pencils are cheap, easy and work. you're trying to over engineer a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
someone paranoid enough to believe that s massive conspiracy is erasing their votes and filling in another cross (please ignore the marks left behind) is always just going to latch on to something else so there's no point in trying to out crazy them.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

haakman posted:

Ok, someone explain this to me - the BBC is showing Labour +83 seats, Con down 80 odd, LD down 80 odd and UKIP up 86. Yet the headline is 'UKIP stealing seats from the tories and labour'...

Why aren't they saying anything about Labour gaining seats?!

the news always over-emphasises the novel. the main opposition party gaining seats is expected; always happens. it'd be news if labour weren't.
also there's a narrative been constructed over the last year or so, so anything fitting into that gets played up.

i went to sleep in a conservative council, and woke up in a labour one. happy days. victory to the people.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

christ at least be consistent

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

When an argument cannot be won, personal insults will abound.

i've no idea who you think i am, but we've not been engaging in an argument to be won or lost

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

staberind posted:

1. I was an English teacher for 13 years, on and off.
2. My accent is fairly plummy Perceived English.
3. I hold a British passport.
4. I was born in Kensington, London.
5. All my family are French.
6. I am white and I have blue/gray eyes.
7. I drink tea like I breathe air.

Number 5, to some, is the only important bit of information there,
I've traveled to a lot of the world,
when people are not mistaking me for American, no one disputes my "Englishness",
However, I'm technically a second generation Immigrant.

gently caress you, you ain't no brit

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

gove isn't a fan of literature attacking paranoid anti-communist witch hunts by an entrenched right wing establishment? o_O

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

ronya posted:

wait, what are the problems with the gcse/gce that call for a single exam board

putting aside the point that the hullabaloo over what would go into the single exam would be completely impossible to navigate

competition between exam boards leads to a race to the bottom, not any improvement. other similar countries manage fine with one public exam board. scotland for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

ronya posted:

doesn't seem to be a new tune for Khan

I think the spin-doctor image-conscious era of Blair would've thrown a fit, though

edit: and there's no Labour plan to save education, welfare, and the NHS, so hoping for Miliband to trumpet one is a non-starter.

He was trying to position himself for labour's London mayoral candidate before. Personally chasing ukip votes seems counterproductive for that. Odd.

• Locked thread