Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Pasco posted:

Yep. For all the horrible racists and Tories that might get inflicted on us, it genuinely looks like those orange bastards are going to get properly, terminally, hosed in 2015.

I'd personally have preferred the Tories and racists getting terminally hosed. It really isn't making me see the recent election results in any sort of more pleasant light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Zephro posted:

edit2: America is an interesting contrast, as a country with more than a dozen legitimately big cities. I assume they must all provide something of a safety valve for each other.

Yeah, but it is also a much bigger country and arguably only 2 or 3 really are London like and the rest more Manchester.

[edit] NY is also a good head above no2 as well.

Munin fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 30, 2014

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Zephro posted:

Sure, I just mean it's perhaps as advantage of living in a big country.

Yeah, you could talk about Paris and Frankfurt being our safety valves...

CancerCakes posted:

We live in the Empire of London. It takes our talented and promising young people and resources and then complains of "subsidising" the rest of the country.

If the UK is to survive in any meaningful way the centralisation of the economy and services in London has to be reversed.

London also pulls in the talented and promising young people from across the world. The "Empire of London" phrasing would also be apt in that respect.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

tentish klown posted:

Not really, they're just a vague measure of distance to the center of London. Saying zone 1, 2, 3, etc is a much more efficient shorthand than 'it's like 20 miles outside London and takes about an hour to get there'

Well, it is also a direct shorthand for your monthly commuting costs.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Angepain posted:

We should just define the whole UK by how far it is from London, it's the most important part of your location anyway, especially when they finally get round to moving literally every job there. I'm currently living in Zone 105, or as it used to be called, Edinburgh.

Well, you should be glad that with HS5 your commute is merely an hour and a half. :v:

• Locked thread