Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

In the never ending march of Kippers 'Telling It Like It Is' this chap cannot be sexist because 'his best friend is a girl' and not racist because he 'brought home a curry last night'

quote:

James Elgar, 19, denied being sexist or racist and said his views on subjects such as immigration, taxes and crime were "moderate" and not radical

The Twitter feed of a 19-year-old UKIP election candidate has been reported to Runnymede Borough Council’s Electoral Services for comments deemed to be racist and sexist.

James Elgar, of Brox Road, Ottershaw, has been selected to stand in Egham Hythe ward in local elections on Thursday May 22, despite reports from UKIP London that his membership lapsed on January 1.

The party’s head office has condemned Mr Elgar’s account as "deplorable" and said they would be launching an investigation into how he managed to be nominated.

His Twitter account and various messages posted from it were reported to the council ’s electoral services manager, Samantha Clifton, on Friday (April 25) following which Mr Elgar’s public profile was made private with restricted access.

The Twitter feed, published under the handle @James_Elgar, included a string of comments containing racist and sexist remarks, including references to hijacked planes, rape by "Asian boys" and "foreigners and weirdos".

On April 1, the user tweeted: “I am running for councillor of Egham...This is going to be hard-work. But on the plus side maybe Ibiza again this year!”

Other tweets included: “There is no women in the CBB final? That’s because they are all in the kitchen where they belong...”

The nominee, who posted a picture of his UKIP membership card in February 2013, is currently banned from Woking Football Club’s Kingfield Stadium for the 2013/2014 season due to irresponsible behaviour. He posted a photo on Twitter of the letter confirming this with the message: “I’m not deemed responsible enough to been [sic] near a home game LOL!”

His father, Mark Elgar, defended his son’s tweets as "banter" and said they were "random soundbites taken out of context" and did not reflect his son’s character.

“He is the least sexist and racist person you could ever meet, his best friend is a girl and he works with people from Czechoslovakia, Pakistan and Afghanistan,” he said. “Last night he came home at 10.30pm with a curry.”

When asked directly about the nature of some of the tweets, James Elgar said they were "irrelevant" as they were before he was running for election.

In an email, he added: “These comments have not been put into context, they just seem to be extracts, not showing the whole conversation.

“Some comments are just quotes from films, some are over a year old and some of these comments are not even recognised by me as my own.”

He said it was "customary" for teenagers to use profanity but said it had been a lesson to him to avoid it in future.

“I am a 19-year-old youth trying, early in my life, to make a difference through legitimate politics and to support UKIP in a positive and progressive manner,” he said.

“I am no way supporting racist, sexist or radical views, far from it, my views are moderate when it comes to subjects such as immigration, taxes and crime.”

A spokesman for UKIP said: “These sort of comments and images are utterly deplorable.

“Mr Elgar would appear to be a young man who still has plenty of growing up to do.

“Our inquiries reveal that his UKIP membership in fact lapsed on January 1 2014 and we shall not accept any renewal application from him.

“We shall be conducting our own internal investigation as to how a lapsed member was allowed to become a candidate in Runnymede in the local elections, let alone some-one who had expressed and/or passed on these kinds of sentiments on social media.”
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/ukip-teenage-election-candidate-defends-7057062#.U2IBHb5yyag.twitter

He also used the hashtag ect, ect, ect. For some reason, that always grates on me. So, how many of these lovely people coming out of the woodwork does it take to go from 'an individuals unfortunate views' to a general consensus within the party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Drone_Fragger posted:

It is well known that when landlords stop renting property out they demolish them.

Also is it normal for campaigners to threaten to "shank you one" unless you vote UKIP? Just a quick question.

Only the ones who have spent time in prison.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Ddraig posted:

Haha, oh wow.

No, Racists are stupid fucks and should be shunned and ostracized because it's literally the only way to enact societal change.

If there's anything the past several thousand years of human history have taught us it's that the way to get what you want is to use strongly worded letters and disapproving tuts, right?

e: did I just get trolled? It's so hard to tell these days.

I've got a 2 hour round trip tomorrow because someone completely hosed the locks in the jobcentre I have to go to normally so we're being forced to go to one pretty much in the next town over.

Its Shakey, and he got you :)

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Ddraig posted:

Well don't I feel like a prat. Oh well, my anger is still justified if wrongly directed.

Apparantly someone forced superglue into the main staff entrance for the jobcentre, then shattered the cylinders, so rather than going in through the pleb entrance, they've decided to close up shop and send everyone to a different place. Appointment times are still the same, apparantly, so if you don't find out the jobcentre is shut and you go to that one expecting to be seen, you're going to get sanctioned, son!

Yes, that is a load of poo poo, document everything (in case someone else gets sanctioned, and needs it) and also so you get your travel expenses back. Its also probably been done by someone who has suffered at their hands, not much consolation, but people do lose perspective when they are really bloody angry, and getting no where.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

WastedJoker posted:

Farage got egged today. It was wonderful to see.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27242557

It's actually a bit worrying to see how easily someone could stab him in the neck a few times.

Speaking of UKIP, the guy at the top of my street has a big sign declaring his support for UKIP :( He seemed like a decent bloke and I used to buy goose eggs from him.

Yeah I saw that. I didn't really want to give it any legitimacy, as its puerile and not going to change anything, apart from Kippers thinking they are now in the club of politicians who have been assaulted by food. This is why mailing them jiffy bags full of nonsense is a bit more dignified. As for MA's post from the Standard, its great to give these terrible people enough rope to hang themselves, as they inevitably do. Mind you, not sure how much difference that will make in Barking and Dagenham.

Also, even though they are not officially UKIP anymore, Christine Hamilton is on This Week tonight, and she never fails to perform atrociously on demand.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Spangly A posted:

Specifically filter them and yet fail to at the same time.

Its just a filter to decide what junk mail to include in the Jumbo Welcome to UKIP pack.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I am a very jealous call centre person now.

Also, am I suffering some kind of nostalgia-induced brain damage, or did A Slot and Shakeybeef used to be good posters?

Also, for some content (it's poo poo content):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2616576/Subway-removes-ham-pork-nearly-200-stores-strong-demand-Muslims-eat-Halal-meat.html

It doesn't even need more quotes, really. Has this been bringing the racists out of the woodwork on anyone else/s facebook?

Aahhh thats what Loonytoad has been on about. Why are they advertising on TV beechwood smoked bacon subs then? The respectable face of UKIP the community spokes woman on QT now, guessing they didn't dare let anyone else off the leash.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I don't really see how its an issue anyway (unless they sneak in low fat :mad: ). More to the point I don't go to Subway because they use workfare. Oh. and the food is poo poo and with a few minutes and lot less money I could make you a far tastier sammitch.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Xachariah posted:

Yeah, but... but... :effort:

Thats not how we work in the Big Society, sunshine.

Is your butler broken or something?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Well, the party's over. Time to find a new method of expressing 'common sense'

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

StarkingBarfish posted:

I wish I'd expressed a nice big pile of common sense into a parcel before the address was withdrawn.
I was nice enough to include a handful of jelly beans. I hope they liked them, so many different colours :ohdear:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Ddraig posted:

Yeah as a general rule if you have to say you're not racist, you probably are.

I think my favourite instance of racist weaseling was Nick Griffin on question time when he said he was strictly only involved with 'an almost entirely nonviolent chapter of the KKK'

Farage is on QT this week, apparently. :/ Couple of days of more of their prospects showing themselves up in public, with any luck.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Pulling up the ladder. Not really a surprise, unpleasant people come from all over.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I honestly would not be at all surprised if they repealed the minimum wage in the name of 'being competitive' or some shite.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Briscoe wasn't presiding though, was she? Just a witness for Vicky Pryce?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Just putting some washing out, and the Queen is in town today. I could hear them at the Cathederal belting out God Save the Queen. Gawd bless ah, Makes you prahd, etc. :britain:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Saki posted:

If you think Britain is a genuinely terrible place then you're kinda weird. It's actually pretty good.

Thats the most sweeping generalisation seen in this thread so far. Try it from a different perspective, its not so great when things are not ticking along just so.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

frontlineKHAAAN! posted:

Hello fellow Queen-visited-now-we're-a-city [sic] Goon!

There's never another unfortunate Chelmsfordian ITT

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

frontlineKHAAAN! posted:

We should coordinate heckling UKIP outside Waterstones.

I only thought it was that strange Violin lessons man outside Waterstones, but anytime comrade. Then retire for a beer as proper Englishmen do.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Seaside Loafer posted:

Ah, I used to know it well. Colchester, Tiptree, Kelevedon, Whitham, hatfield pev(however you spell that) that place before Chelmsford etc.

What happened it used to be pretty mellow?

Its been tory through and through since before time. I would say its odd you know all the places along the A12 that are notorious for cottaging, but then we know how you suffer from digestive stress.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Seaside Loafer posted:

Trickjaw I was more talking about the road but my upper esophagus irritation is doing allot better thank you :)

Seriously that was always quites a nice drive, has it gone mental or have i missed the point/joke.

No, the A12 is abominable, even worse when you get beyond the m25 junction. I was talking more about Essex towns, as its Tory central here, with a healthy smattering of racists in Dagenham/Barking

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That A11/A12/A13 corridor only really turned into the Essex we know and hate in the eighties. Tebbit's "Basildon Man" theory really was the Tories Southern Strategy, playing up on racist fears particularly among those who participated in the massive White Flight in the eighties under Right to Buy, as well as of course convincing every jobbing plumber and chippy that they too were now a Captain Of Industry.

You see this most particularly in the areas between the North Circular and the M25 (which I know isn't technically Essex) where the BNP and EDL are well-supported by people absolutely terrified by the fact the Brown Hordes they thought they'd escaped when they flipped their council flat on Vallance Road suddenly started getting enough money to move out to Barking and Rainham.

As always, much more complete and well put across than my effort.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 6, 2014

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Maybe I'm missing something, but won't this just mean people go to A&E instead?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

SybilVimes posted:

Those that can, yes, I can't exactly go to A&E for my 3 monthly HB1Ac tests

You know what your on about though. I had visions of hordes of people with a poorly tummy or a headache crowding around an A&E dept.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Tsk. More media mud-slinging. I want to write him a letter of support, but thats sadly no longer possible :(

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Scikar posted:

Something weird going on with that article, they've deleted all the comments but people are now posting on the previous one stuff like this:

Apparently this is the guy in the article: https://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/indivHistory.do?sid=349533

He is inactive as of end of last month, his most recent listed firm is "not authorised to hold client money", (is that some kind of penalty or standard for some types of firms?) and the firm before that is no longer authorised.

At least most of the comments on there are agreeing that someone who can't make ends meet on 120k is certainly more stupid than suffering, but the most popular solution is massive cuts in government spending followed by tax cuts. :ughh:

Client money is like if you give a solicitor a deposit on the house your buying, and it goes into a specific account for that purpose alone (i.e not able to skim interest off). It just means he has no provison for accepting funds to pass on to another party. Its also an anti-money laundering technique

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Jakabite posted:

Hi UKMT, font of all knowledge, I have a question about council tax. I'm a first year student at Uni of Manchester, and I'm moving into a house next year with 3 other students, and (hopefully) one of my mates from home, who is not a student. I'd not thought of this before, stupidly, but it's come to my attention that it may end up being prohibitively expensive for him to live with us due to his lack of council tax exemption.

My friend's currently unemployed on JSA (teenage depression hosed him basically) and he's moving from Teesside to Manchester in the hope of finding better opportunities here, mainly in the way of apprenticeships which he's already applied for a lot of, none yet successfully. It says on the .gov website that because he'd be the only non-student he'd be entitled to a 75% discount on the tax, and possibly also entitled to some council tax benefit? This isn't very transparent however, and it's a bit of a make or break.

I suppose what I'm asking is, does anyone know what kind of percentage of the tax that benefit would cover for an unemployed/apprenticed 19 year old? And how much it would be for a five bedroom terraced house in a student area of Manchester? Any help would be appreciated. He's had a poo poo year and moving away was meant to try and buck that trend, and I'm going to be pissed if council tax stops that.

Also just a little rant, is there any reasoning behind having one person in a five person house mean that that person is liable for (almost) the tax bill for the whole house instead of just themselves? Doing it by property seems pretty stupid. It might not be, I don't know, I'm just worried and annoyed.
Its been a while since I was a benefit officer, but a multi occupancy house is termed a HMO, and the council tax is the landlord's problem. If he is on JSA and on his own, he would get CTB and HB at the prevailing rate in your area. He should still get HB, but as he is 19, it won't be much... Go to the Council for confirmation (they should have a calculator on their website to give you an insight). JUST DON'T LIE.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Jakabite posted:

Alright thanks fellas, that's really helpful. Is there any chance the landlord will turn around and just say he can't live with us? We've only just notified them, since it was only initially going to be the 4 students.

No way to say, you know what some people can be like about 'NO DSS'. If theres a room going, I don't see why not. But, I'm not a landlord.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Jakabite posted:

Alright thanks. I might just end with him finding another place then, I don't know, I doubt anyone else would be willing to pay jacked up rent just so my mate from home can live with us sadly. Luckily one bedroom flats are pretty cheap round here.

He's not going to be entitled to HB for a 1 bed flat, due to being under loving 35

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Umiapik posted:

Buy a house in London with an enormous mortgage, send your crotch-spawn to boarding schools, run a couple of gas guzzlers and buy everything using your credit cards (and make sure to always maintain a nice, eye-watering outstanding balance). Then you too can exclaim with the best of them: "Oh, but we're not rich! Why, by the time we've paid the mortgage, the school fees and the urgent bills, there's nothing left at the end of the month!"

I really have no sympathy for them, as all the doors open for people like that far easier. I will say though, that when I was edging 50k a year in @2008, I still found ways to be skint at the end of the month, without children (not that I would ever private educate one). I was simply younger and spent far too much on going on the piss in London and doing stupid things like getting taxis home after falling asleep on the train and hitting the end of the line. I am willing to bet though that they don't have to make either/or choices in the supermarket, and certain things that we may not think of as luxuries, but are, like holidays and new clothes/cars/appliances are considered their indentured right.

I try not to judge on things like this because I become no better than those that decry those on benefits, but, come on.

Have an interview tomorrow.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

If anyone wants tag-team shitbags, remember Grant Shapps and Big Nige are on Question Time tonight :toot:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

C'mon Nige, your on live telly soon. Shake a leg, or we'll put a rombuldarlatmanian on instead.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Actually, quick question, with UKIP saying about immigration discriminated against New Zealand, Canada, etc for braain wizardry, what is the policy for immigration from commonwealth countries? Or is that just a loose trade agrrement and a club of the Queen's mates?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

tdrules posted:

Gone home for the weekend, watching Question Time with my drunk Dad shouting at politicians. Rule Britannia.

'Tis our special way. Looks like loads of UKIP plants in the audience, and Nige is doing quite well (worringly)

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

JFairfax posted:

None of the above is bullshit, if you really dislike the other options that much then stand yourself.

Everyone can afford to pay, and potentially lose the deposit, of course.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Saki posted:

Please tell me more about how Farage is totally Hitler, man.

C'mon. No one said that. Ukip is a fascist organisation. It would be naive to say that there are no parallels.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Elfface posted:

In a time of economic instability, a charismatic right-wing leader moves from the fringes by blaming the nation's problems on a convenient 'Other'.

And advocates protectionism.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Spangly A posted:

Good lad. The only one round here is the closest billboard to the police station in town, and right close to cameras for the train station. Creativity will be needed.

Our one is opposite the cop shop too, so hosed if I'm touching it (The probability of most of the scuffers inside being UKIP voters is high too)

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Ugh Dellingpole gently caress right off. Nothing you think is actually right. Wanker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Ddraig posted:

The thing about being a giant octopus is that everyone prejudges you. I mean, is it any wonder he is a bit angry, being ostracised as he has?

Octopii get such a bad press. Why, even the Germans used them!

• Locked thread