Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Alecto posted:

I just posted this in the EU thread, but I'll post it here too.

I made an excel spreadsheet that uses UK polling and turnout to calculate how the regional seats will be distributed, which some of you may be interested in. The eligible voters are from the ONS's 2012 electoral roll, the vote share is the 5-10 likelihood to vote from the latest Comres poll and the turnout % is from 2009's election. Sometimes there's a draw in which case all parties involved get the seat, simply adding 0.1% onto one or two parties' share should fix it. Northern Ireland not included because I was really only interested in the national parties.

It's astounding how many people will vote for a party that has basically no policies at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

twoot posted:

Dudley Conservative leaflet.

What, those? They're just some unrelated boxes behind some numbers. Nobody ever said it was a graph :smug:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Global Sustainability Institute says we're going to be out of domestic oil and gas in five years.

If (as I suspect) they factored in shale gas, things might get a bit awkward for the pro-fracking proponents.

They usually don't factor shale gas into reports like these, since it's mostly inaccessible without fracking. If anything, pro-fracking proponents will use this as an excuse to frack more.

But they don't seem to know what they're on about based on their methodology, since they're just dividing known reserves by current consumption. As if consumption isn't steadily growing or anything. The actual figure is probably less than five years, unless we frack.

(but yes, build nuclear)

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Playing devil's advocate a second, is there any research that points to memory and accurate recollection of events improving after 48 hours, when the subject has undergone extreme stress or is in a state of shock? I know memory goes to pot very rapidly after the event, but I didn't want to just assume that holds for extreme situations where decompressing might actually help. (I'm guessing it still makes things worse)

I do work on memory psych and witness testimony and there's no evidence to this effect. The forgetting curve for accurate recall can be steep or shallow situationally but it always goes down.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Except it's just the European Parliament elections and so doesn't matter

• Locked thread