Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

Tell it to customs when they open a package that's marked "gift" but has a commercial invoice in it.

Also, if the value is over £36 you have to pay import VAT on it.

Like you have never paid someone cash in hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

German is more useful than French I would say, especially in engineering and sciences. We are probably all better off learning mandarin anyway, so we can greet are new overlords properly. People can learn languages very quickly, but it requires full immersion. Your languages also get forgotten if you don't use them for example Louis CK was born in Mexico and spoke only Spanish until he was 8. Now he is significantly below fluent as he only uses it a few times a year to speak to relatives.

But rejoice, it is now easier to learn a language than it has EVER been. There are tonnes of free resources, from dictionaries on the internet and vocab systems to skype pals who are willing to teach people. My favored vocab app is Babbel, it is free for vocab.

The UK is an amazing country to live in. Seriously, as bad as you think it is here it is normally worse elsewhere. Our tepid climate, with a distinct lack of major weather/tectonic activity and abundant arable land makes it a geographically safe place to live. Our countryside is beautiful, landscapes in Northumberland and the Lake District are awesome. Culturally we are thriving, the food here is great and there are communities that look after each other.

Politically speaking the UK is neoliberal, however there is a strong leftist undercurrent. The simple fact that we can moan on an internet forum which can be easily linked to ourselves (no one here is using TOR I would bet) and not be arrested or directly persecuted is pretty rare. We live in a country where the rule of law is respected, and where there are free elections. The corruption we have in the UK is no where near as bad as many other countries.

The NHS has been mentioned before, and is the crowning glory of the UK.

Now I do not believe that we should rest on our laurels, there is a lot more that needs to be done to make this a fairer society, but screaming about neoliberal conspiracies and throwing your toys out the pram is not the way to go about it. To complain about how bad we have it when, for example, young girls were abducted from a school and their government did NOTHING about it smacks of, at the best, a lack of self awareness.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

You're talking Nonsense mate

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Hbomberguy posted:

Is there any purpose to voting Green, or am I throwing my vote away?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDsV8YumePk

better than the labour PPB if that counts for anything

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

spikenigma posted:

If caught in a lie ,double down and shift those pesky goalposts. It's the UKMT way :)

I'm done.

At least beef's trolls are amusing, this is pathetic.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The IPCC is currently hiring junior investigators if people are interested - you have to be unbiased in your approach to investigations though. Also anyone posting here will fail the background check.

LBC is fast becoming my favorite radio station, I have just spammed facebook and twitter with that interview, so good.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Surprising number of people who come from Bedfordshire here! When Italy won the world cup they drove a parade of flatbed trucks down the high street and had a huge party, it was awesome. Me and some non-italian friends just joined in, it was really fun.

More multiculturalism = more awesome street parties

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

BastardySkull posted:

I know there are some Banks fans in here. I've put the work I did inspired by his Culture novels on to Redbubble. Proceeds will go to Safe Space, a charity helping survivors of sexual violence of which Banks was a patron.

Check it out here http://www.redbubble.com/people/lukejfrost/collections/289653-the-culture-fanart

These are really good, bookmarked for when I am not unemployed!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Am I allowed to stand outside my polling station with a no to UKIP sign?

We are on 2 mbit, because BT are poo poo and won't connect my village to the nearest exchange, instead routing us to the city centre over 5km away. I dream of decent internet.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I'm in the North East so I will probably vote Labour, as the Greens have a low showing here. Shame, I think the Green campaign has been positive and well fought.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

My mate is voting for the pirate party.... I doubt they will get anyone, but it would be funny if they did.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I ran down to my polling station in the pouring rain and it was empty, but that is hardly surprising. Add me to the Green crew if anyone is counting, but like everyone else I can't vote for them next year. Pretty weird to agree with the Green party on their social policies but not their environmental ones, but that is how it goes.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Zohar posted:

Cambridge is an exceptional case for a number of reasons -- Huppert has a good local reputation (in the university anyway) and he's always been firmly anti-tuition fees and rebelled against Clegg during the vote.

Huppert is great on tuition, drug and social policy. I really wish he wasn't a Lib Dem. If Labour didn't have their no non union background mp rule I like to think he might have joined them. Ah well, another one for the wall.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

That would be really interesting. Perhaps if you had lived in a property for a certain length of time you would be able to buy the property at a reasonable market price. The problem being that you would be kicked out by the landlord before that time.

And it doesn't solve the problem of lack of supply.

Perhaps the answer is to make investment in the real economy (r&d, construction, manufacturing healthcare etc) more attractive that buy to let investment. Hell I would buy the poo poo out government R&D bonds, funding universities, research sites and spin out companies with returns from inventions and innovations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The middle class concept is so ridiculously vague that people will distort it to fit whatever argument they want. The Telegraph clearly believes that if you are not a millionaire, but are above subsistence existence, you are middle class.

Having a 3 tiered class system is obviously idiotic, even 4 (with the addition of upper/lower) doesn't work. Arguably we still live in a two class society - those who invest for a living and those who must work for a living.

Or we live in a "classless" society, which really means that we have a whole spectrum of classes that merge together and overlap, but still have a pecking order.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

We live in the Empire of London. It takes our talented and promising young people and resources and then complains of "subsidising" the rest of the country.

If the UK is to survive in any meaningful way the centralisation of the economy and services in London has to be reversed.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

lenoon posted:

I'm on a pretty good wage. This post just scared the hell out of me. I think this is something that needs to be made clear to more people desperate to get onto the 'property ladder' London - the bank owning your house with the vague promise of being able to wring enough money out of the next sucker looking to take over your hovel is not 'security', it is a dead weight, a shackle.

Think of it as a shackle that prevents you falling off the cliff of indebted servitude (a lifetime of renting in London). Preferable, but not ideal.

With the London property market I agree with you that "the only winning move is not to play." Unless you have enough millions to keep flipping properties as investments, and then why the hell are you on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Pork Pie Hat posted:

If anyone was thinking of reading Thomas Piketty's "Capital in the Twenty-First Century" but didn't want to pay £30, WHSmiths are doing it for half price. Might just be for this week though, I'm not sure.

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/capital-in-the-twenty-first-century/product/9780674430006

Not half price online unfortunately. I'll probably wait for a cheap kindle edition at some point.

Nice chap from Ipsos MORI just came round doing a survey about radio listening and gave me a fiver, score.

• Locked thread