Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

FullLeatherJacket posted:

To be honest, I don't see Spurs not sticking with him unless he completely Moyeses it up. They've sacked a lot of managers, but at the same time it's hard to find one that stands out as particularly unreasonable. It's more a case where they've continually appointed poo poo managers, and then been surprised that they don't deliver.

Sherwood was a glorified caretaker and enormous child; Villas-Boas had a literal breakdown and became a getaway driver in Russia; Redknapp is basically a Nigerian Scam masquerading as a football manager; and Juande Ramos was sacked with Spurs literally bottom of the league (and then fell upwards into the Real Madrid job). Martin Jol before him was perhaps the only one really hard done by when they felt he wasn't making sufficient progress after three years.

Ramos aside they all did exactly as well as you'd expect from a team that spends more than every other team except for the 5 teams that spend hundreds of millions more than them, and they all got sacked for it. Pochettino will last as long as it takes for Levy to realise they aren't getting in the Champions League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm planning to introduce 'Poch' into my work footy banter. How do I pronounce it 'Posh'? or......'Pock'?

I'm leaning towards the latter

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Rhyming with watch, I'd guess

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
It's 'Pocketino' so 'Pock', I guess.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its in the Journal this morning that Sunderland are expecting Southampton to want Poyet as his replacement

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
For someone who's sacked 10 managers in 13 years, Daniel Levy sure avoids a lot of criticism. Especially from the press

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

For someone who's sacked 10 managers in 13 years, Daniel Levy sure avoids a lot of criticism. Especially from the press

He controls it mate.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I think the papers are staying quiet about it as it's all pretty entertaining for the rest of us.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Thirteenth Step posted:

We said this just after we lost a decent manager. But I guess we didn't have the players Southampton have.

In 2 months Southampton may not have the players Southampton have either.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I forgot to check back here after I posted about Levy a few weeks back, noting the way to figure out whether someone knew sod all about football was if they claimed Levy should be forced out. The responses were pretty good and interesting, a shame I missed them.

The only sacking in recent times that is purely on Levy's head (and it very much is) was Jol, who probably should have been built upon. In those days though we never came within a sniff of beating a top 4 team, something Redknapp later showed was possible.

Poch will survive at Spurs as long as we're playing well and look like we're on a path to compete for the top 4 the following season, as Rodgers was. Top 6 and not to be battered by the bigger teams is the standard.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Much as I hate him, sacking Arry was a really dumb idea. They did it only to punish him for wanting to manage his country.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

St Evan Echoes posted:

Much as I hate him, sacking Arry was a really dumb idea. They did it only to punish him for wanting to manage his country.

Arry was the worst perpetrator of winning without the right tactics,

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

St Evan Echoes posted:

well they did tank horribly shortly after it became an option, didn't they?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Spangly A posted:

well they did tank horribly shortly after it became an option, didn't they?
Plummeted to the depths of fourth place

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

This really needs to be corrected. Of those 10, 3 of them were caretaker managers for the rest of the season (Pleat, Allen and Sherwood). That's not a sacking. 7 managers in 13 years is below Prem average.

Took over in 2001.
Graham - Never finished above 10th. Levy thinks we can get someone better. Otherwise he's just Ashley and Newcastle.
Hoddle - Finished 9th, 10th then got 4 points from 6 games. Pretty fair to say he was given a good go but wasn't good enough. Pleat finishes the season.
Santini - Resigned, wasn't sacked. Hindsight is 20 20, it appeared to be a good signing.
Jol - A bad decision not to support him, thus is a black mark against Levy.
Ramos - Again, a good signing on paper, whom he has to fire when we are 2 points from 10 games I believe.
Redknapp - Flirted with the England job, which led to the season crashing with a terrible final 10 games to lose CL place. For this, he demanded a new improved contract and would not stay if it wasn't given. No man is bigger than the club.
AVB - Again good on paper. Maybe he should have given him the season. But we just had been battered by City and Liverpool while playing the worst football in a decade at Spurs.

So 7 real managers gone, 6 sacked, one who talked himself out of it, two who left while we were in or around the relegation zone, and two who left after 10th place averages. For a team that did nothing when Levy started, and who has since won a cup, played in CL, and now not finished lower than 6th in about 7 seasons.

I mean he's obviously not perfect but he's better than most.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

St Evan Echoes posted:

Plummeted to the depths of fourth place

Would have been 3rd over the Arse if 'Arry hadn't taken his eye off it.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Fat Turkey posted:

Of those 10, 3 of them were caretaker managers for the rest of the season (Pleat, Allen and Sherwood).

He was on an 18 month contract, was he not? Yes, he was no more than a glorified caretaker, but he was specifically employed to be the manager.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dudley posted:

In 2 months Southampton may not have the players Southampton have either.

It was a good run while it lasted!!!

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Fat Turkey posted:

Poch will survive at Spurs as long as we're playing well and look like we're on a path to compete for the top 4 the following season, as Rodgers was. Top 6 and not to be battered by the bigger teams is the standard.

Sacked within a year then

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

HJB posted:

He was on an 18 month contract, was he not? Yes, he was no more than a glorified caretaker, but he was specifically employed to be the manager.

In a practical sense it was a 6 month contract with an option on another year, given the break clause they used.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

Would have been 3rd over the Arse if 'Arry hadn't taken his eye off it.
And their decision has been fully justified by all the top-3 finishes they've had since

They sacked him as punishment, not because it was the best thing for their own future

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 28, 2014

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

HJB posted:

It had a break clause where they could let him go for free at the end of the season. It was public knowledge they had sounded out immediate replacements but they had wanted to wait till the end of the season. Then they hired someone from within with no managerial experience. Its pretty clear its a caretaker position.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
incidentally, the caretaker position is also your mam's favourite position!

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
A caretaker position with most of the season to go and only 6 or so points off fourth, lol. Glad spurs are run by idiots

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I haven't made up my mind about Levy because we really don't know a lot about how he operates, which successes and failures hes responsible for, or even who out there could replace him and do a better job.

But if Levy was the manager and had fired 10 first team coaches for various reasons (some justified), would Spurs fans still be sticking by him?

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I haven't made up my mind about Levy because we really don't know a lot about how he operates, which successes and failures hes responsible for, or even who out there could replace him and do a better job.

But if Levy was the manager and had fired 10 first team coaches for various reasons (some justified), would Spurs fans still be sticking by him?

Depends, how fancy would his tactics be?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
At that point it would come down to results and how we were playing, and his results have been very good.

If we're doing analogies, sacking Levy now would be like sacking a manager who pick you up in 10th 13 years ago and has had you top 5 in six of the last 9 seasons, with the 6th finish as the first outside the top 5 in 5 years. His stewardship is the most successful for the club in 30 years. If this was a manager we were talking about, we'd be crazy to lose him.

Fat Turkey fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 28, 2014

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Trick question, fans dont give a poo poo about coaches.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

St Evan Echoes posted:

And their decision has been fully justified by all the top-3 finishes they've had since

They sacked him as punishment, not because it was the best thing for their own future

When a manager obviously mentally checks out like that instead of behaving like a professional, why should they renew his contract? Redknapp could have still been at Tottenham now but he made his own crappy bed and I don't see why Spurs were that foolish in letting him go. I think you're also assuming that Redknapp could have pulled off another top 4 finish in the subsequent seasons and I don't think that was definitely in the cards.

Fat Turkey posted:

At that point it would come down to results and how we were playing, and his results have been very good.

If we're doing analogies, sacking Levy now would be like sacking a manager who pick you up in 10th 13 years ago and has had you top 5 in six of the last 9 seasons, with the 6th finish as the first outside the top 5 in 5 years. His stewardship is the most successful for the club in 30 years. If this was a manager we were talking about, we'd be crazy to lose him.

But what if you find a better replacement?

Carrier
May 12, 2009

At this point in time, I've stopped really caring who our manager is. Unless they do exceptionally well with us a la Rodgers and Liverpool or exceptionally badly a la Ramos they are basically all the same to me.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Same but about stepdads.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Her clients aren't your stepdads, hth

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Jose posted:

Its in the Journal this morning that Sunderland are expecting Southampton to want Poyet as his replacement

Poyet's just signed a contract with Sunderland until 2016.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11695/9329581/premier-league-sunderland-boss-gus-poyet-signs-new-deal

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO

St Evan Echoes posted:

<implying Redknapp has any sort of plans for the future, other than the England job he nver got>

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

:getin:

Was pretty worried there, would like to have someone in charge for more than a single season please

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-1/Buccaneers-Owner-Malcolm-Glazer-Passes-Away/93db9a70-e779-4653-a4e5-4dc7991365c0

Malcolm Glazer is dead

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

Fat Turkey posted:

AVB - Again good on paper. Maybe he should have given him the season. But we just had been battered by City and Liverpool while playing the worst football in a decade at Spurs.

So 7 real managers gone, 6 sacked, one who talked himself out of it, two who left while we were in or around the relegation zone, and two who left after 10th place averages. For a team that did nothing when Levy started, and who has since won a cup, played in CL, and now not finished lower than 6th in about 7 seasons.

I mean he's obviously not perfect but he's better than most.

The AVB decision was horrendous. Being battered by City and Liverpool aren't reasons to sack a manager unless you're a small time club and the whole idea of Spurs playing the 'worst football in a decade' is asinine when you consider the fact that AVB was leading Spurs to one of their highest point totals in club history. Spurs hired AVB to see out a long term project and sacked him at the first sign of struggle. Levy is clueless and overestimates his club's stature.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

It's a sad day.

A toast to the man who stole more money from Man Utd than Bebe's agent could ever dream of.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Teddy Sheringham is going to teach the West Ham strikers how to play poker shoot at goal, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Had no idea he was that old though when you see his sons it makes sense

• Locked thread