Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jose posted:

Newcastle supporters are planning a 69th minute walk out against Cardiff in protest of Pardew/Ashley

This seems a bit dramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

not not luvd posted:

According to Marca, Vela might be up for a return:

I would loving love this and at 4M it's a no brainer IMO. I was gutted when he left, I was convinced he'd end up being quality and he's been brilliant in Spain.

If this is true it's an absolute no-brainer and should already have been done.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

tbp posted:

I don't think a single person in this forum regularly watches Real Sociedad matches so based off of his decent but not absurd stats there I'm going to say he's not good enough for Arsenal or the Premier League

Idk he's always been a useful player and it seems like he's matured since he left Arsenal. He'd be better than yaya loving sanogo right now and he's apparently dirt cheap.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

corpuscollossus posted:

Can't see what would be in it for Martinez to dump Everton for Spurs. Where's the benefit in trading one upper-middle side for another, pissing off the fans and getting a mercenary reputation?

He'll get to manage players who are expensive and poo poo instead of cheap and good.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Frimpong was released by Barnsley yesterday. He only made 9 appearances, but I don't know if that was due to being poo poo or injured. I thought he'd be good enough to make it in yoyo team, but I guess doing your ACL twice will hurt your career. Not dench.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Answers Me posted:

Weirdly finding myself looking forward to the Norwich match the most this weekend. How do you even approach that game? You've got to play to try and win 17-0 somehow, no matter how dumb that is right?

Nah, I think you start a bunch of kids and rest everyone for the FA cup final.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vinestalk posted:

Long term contracts have never stopped clubs from buying Arsenal players. Fabregas and Song had years left on their contracts when they were sold. If the player wants to leave, Wenger doesn't go out of his way to keep them.

They actually fought over Fabregas for years. Song went easy, but it seemed like Wenger wanted him out.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vinestalk posted:

Can you really call the captaincy and a couple mediocre signings fighting to keep Fabregas? Holding him to a contract for 2 years before he inevitably left without really doing anything substantial (like increased wages or an actual big signing to help him) was a pretty meek effort.

They did increase his wages and holding on to him for 2 years doesn't really sound too meek.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vinestalk posted:

I think you're mistaken. The last contract he signed (and his last wage increase) was in 2008, which left 2-3 years of nothing before he was sold. The biggest signing made during then was Vermaelen.

His last contract was 2010 and it had a huge lump sum attached to it for "back pay."

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Whatever happens, I just hope Liverpool beat Newcastle by double digits. Best would be if Liverpool win like 15-0 and City still win.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
For what it's worth I think the problems keeping players stemmed from a bunch of factors mostly relating to being poor. I think we'll see more resistance and fewer players poached going forward.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Moktaro posted:

In stoppage time, natch.

I hope Steven Gerrard has the best game ever and scores 10 goals and collapses from exhaustion and dies as someone whispers in his ear that City have ground out a dogshit 1-0 win.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

MrBling posted:

Bendtner is going to be doing commentary for the danish version of the BBC.

So is he, like, retired now?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

double sulk posted:

I wonder if Wenger is coming back because the last I knew he was still undecided. Maybe it will depend on the FA Cup result.

He's coming back. I have mixed feelings.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Luiz made a nice holding midfielder, which mostly seemed to be where Mourinho used him. It's probably worth more for Chelsea to cash in on him and buy a striker, though.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Eric Cantonese posted:

Or they could keep both Luiz and Lukaku and not make needless expenditures for minor benefits.

Even if they kept Lukaku they'd probably need another top, top striker since they're expected to clear out all the dogshit this summer.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

This is going to make them annoyingly good.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

corpuscollossus posted:

I'd have Lukaku over Giroud. Call me crazy.

I think everyone agrees with this. Lukaku is at least as good as Giroud and is only 20.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

DickEmery posted:

How many more "poo poo managers" before someone questions the competence of Levy?

Edit : To clarify. AVB's spergocalypse, Sherwood's tantrums, Redknapp's England distraction could all be said to be not Levy's fault, however as a Chairman if the only tool in your box is sacking the manager then you're kind of a lovely chairman.

I've been banging on this drum for a while tbh. It's ridiculous.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

serious gaylord posted:

While offloading their best player and replacing him with a bunch of unknowns that have all failed spectacularly.

Most of them weren't really unknowns tbf

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Dickail Bulgeakov posted:

He has the best win percentage of any tottenham manager in the premier league era, but o.k.

but he doesn't win in a way that is tactically acceptable for spurs fans and therefore he must be fired.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

8raz posted:

it's sort of like the way wenger loses in a tactically acceptable way and therefore must not walk. its a funny old game.

I am a noted proponent of Wenger walking so I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
It's still absolutely hilarious that AVB just sat Adebayor in the club box while Soldado shat all over the field.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Dickail Bulgeakov posted:

Villas Boas and Sherwood are both good and win. there are better managers out there but here's the thing: you're not actually going to get any of those managers, because you're a poo poo team and you have an awful record of sacking people who take that position.

Spangly A supports West Ham.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jose posted:

I don't know why anyone brings up a teams record of sacking their managers as if it has any bearing on someone new coming in

idk, if Spurs have a track record of firing managers with consistently improving records it doesn't exactly speak well for what's going on at the boardroom level

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I don't really have an issue with Sherwood being sacked, but it just seems like Spurs are all over the place with what they want to do. They keep bringing in new managers who seem to have very little say in what players are brought in and keep sacking them apparently regardless of results. It doesn't exactly seem to be a recipe for success.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Smeef posted:

What are you talking about? AVB had a 55% win percentage. Sherwood had 50%.

I believe the stat is league results only. AVB beat a bunch of Latvian teams

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Smeef posted:

Whereas Sherwood lost to a Ukrainian team managed by Juande Ramos.

They won on aggregate????

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I am pretty confident that Arsenal will win an actual trophy on Saturday.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Lofty132 posted:

Why would you say that? We have lost the last three cup finals, we have taken the lead in all of them if I remember correctly. I won't relax until I see Wenger holding that trophy, even after the final whistle I wouldn't be surprised if a meteor hit Wembley killing everyone and the FA declared it a Hull win.

Ramsey is hungry. Ozil is hungry. Wilshere is hungry. What's next, a Hull Sandwich?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Real talk: Arsenal haven't had an embarrassing collapse yet with this set of players at full strength, and I expect that they will put Hull away early on. But with Wenger there's always a chance that the team shows up "nervous" and can't complete simple passes. We'll know in the first 20 minutes how the game will go.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

not not luvd posted:

It would almost be as bad as slipgate.

It would be much worse tbh.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

not not luvd posted:

You're trippin'

Steven Gerrard slipped to cost Liverpool their first league win in a 24 years. Losing to Hull would be hilarious for non Arsenal fans but it's not at that level.

I dunno man, this season has already been particularly painful despite retaining the 4th place trophy and I don't think I could take another cup failure.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
In more Arsenal discussion, there's a lot of talk about us being in for Serge Aurier. The only thing I know about him is that he's a 21 year old french speaking African born right back, so I imagine it's a done deal.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

serious gaylord posted:

Gerrard trying to push all the cameras away after the palace game was quite funny to me, a Manchester United Fan, who has repeatedly seen him seek out and slam his gross mouth on them when he scores.

I think this was my favorite part of the whole Liverpool collapse. Luis Suarez, who is crying in front of thousands and thousands of people, all of whom are sitting in stands constructed to give them the best view of him, deserves his privacy.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bea Nanner posted:

I'm terrified Arsene thinks Jenkinson is good enough to step in after Sagna.

It would be amazing if Arsene didn't replace Sagna. Arsenal have six (6) first team defenders at the moment.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Arsenal are going to win the FA cup tomorrow and I'm gonna post "do we get a trophy for this?" 700 times in the MDT

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

This doesn't seem like something is do.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I'm excited but also nervous lads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

not not luvd posted:

"I know for however long I am at Liverpool, whenever I leave I will have become a better manager and a better person because of Luis Suarez and for that I thank him so much."

:barf:

I really hate Rodgers. He seems so sanctimonious.

• Locked thread