Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

FairGame posted:

The Nationals are a good team that would probably be leading the NLEast if not for the untimely demise of 3 of their 4 best offensive players. And Doug Fister.
Look, Anthony Rendon is just gonna drag this team kicking and screaming into the postseason all by himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011

brainguy posted:

he is coming off the flu or whatever everyone else has been having

Has he been coming off the flu for an entire month?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jeez Braves, how the hell did you manage to get swept by my awful Marlins

Baseball is hosed up

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Der Meister posted:

the dodgers-twins second game of the day took 5 goddamn hours. is there a single person on earth who sat through the whole thing? also kenley jansen is broken.

There were 19 combined walks in the game and none of them scored :psyduck:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

There's some scuttlebutt the Marlins are stealing signs at home, massive OPS splits and the best home record.

Apparently the Braves were throwing up multiple signs with the bases empty.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/02/braves-suspected-marlins-were-stealing-signs-during-three-game-sweep-in-miami/

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower
Carlos Gomez robbed Joey Votto of a homerun. Again. Same reaction and everything.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/11493214/v32527953/must-c-catch-gomez-robs-votto-of-a-home-run

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

There's some scuttlebutt the Marlins are stealing signs at home, massive OPS splits and the best home record.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/02/braves-suspected-marlins-were-stealing-signs-during-three-game-sweep-in-miami/

It's just the Braves being the Braves.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Oakland is 6-6 at home and 12-4 on the road.

They're broadcasting a pirate radio network to make up the signs the other team is using

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower
Tigers are signing Joel Hanrahan.

Whooo

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jeez Braves, how the hell did you manage to get swept by my awful Marlins

Well one game was Jose Fernandez so that's a start.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

Well one game was Jose Fernandez so that's a start.

The starting lineup for that game was funny, they just completely accepted their fate.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Badfinger posted:

The Nats have a bunch of good, young players. They're closer to 2012 For Real than they are to 2013, with standard health disclaimer.

Losing Harper for half a season because he got benched for not legging out an obvious out and then to make up for it he HUSTLES into 3rd and breaks his thumb is not a good start.

poo poo that was a terribly confusing sentence. Basically, gently caress Matt Williams.

As a Phillies fan living in DC I've basically adopted the Nats as my #2 team because the Phillies aren't making the playoffs again until 2018. Also because Jayson Werth owns. Glad both teams I support have terrible managers! :smith:

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 2, 2014

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

So in reply to Brave's manager Fredi Gonzalez who pretty much said the Fish were stealing signs, maybe with a camera hidden in the dinger machine, Marlin's Casey McGehee disavowed the claim by saying,

quote:

I’m not going to say it’s never happened in the history of the game before, but we’re not splitting any atoms, let’s put it that way.

The Marlins are not splitting atoms y'all. Alright?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

the popes toes posted:

So in reply to Brave's manager Fredi Gonzalez who pretty much said the Fish were stealing signs, maybe with a camera hidden in the dinger machine, Marlin's Casey McGehee disavowed the claim by saying,

The Marlins are not splitting atoms y'all. Alright?

Wait, did they really hide the camera in the dinger machine?

:allears: That thing just keeps getting better and better.

Mugwump
Apr 13, 2004

I offered to pay $60 million for 5 years of this avatar but was turned down

axeil posted:

Losing Harper for half a season because he got benched for not legging out an obvious out and then to make up for it he HUSTLES into 3rd and breaks his thumb is not a good start.

poo poo that was a terribly confusing sentence. Basically, gently caress Matt Williams.

As a Phillies fan living in DC I've basically adopted the Nats as my #2 team because the Phillies aren't making the playoffs again until 2018. Also because Jayson Werth owns. Glad both teams I support have terrible managers! :smith:

What...no. You cannot adopt a division rival as your second team, what is wrong with people!

Kevin Gausman is not being called up as expected and will miss a start because he strained a muscle in a coughing fit. I think he has pneumonia and is going to die because Orioles pitching prospect.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Regnevelc posted:

It's just the Braves being the Braves.

Good thing they didn't start their best players against Fernandez that one game. Good idea.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sitting players against Jose Fernandez is a violation. The Braves lack hustle and are mentally soft like that cake eater Bryce Harper.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
http://deadspin.com/watch-rare-footage-of-the-black-sox-throwing-the-1919-w-1570843031/

I love watching old sped-up baseball footage. :allears:

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Jose Fernandez should be everyone's favorite player.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Wow, that's actually really cool

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Jose Fernandez owns

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

:laffo:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/re...n=Pic:1:Default

quote:

According to a report released by the MLB league office Friday, injuries have significantly risen this season as a direct result of more players opting to slide headfirst into the dugout.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

SilvergunSuperman posted:

This is the best:

quote:

...the Braves went so far as to look at the sculpture in left center field, wondering if there was somebody hiding in there with a camera.

Dinger machine, or secret spy base?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mugwump posted:

What...no. You cannot adopt a division rival as your second team, what is wrong with people!

Kevin Gausman is not being called up as expected and will miss a start because he strained a muscle in a coughing fit. I think he has pneumonia and is going to die because Orioles pitching prospect.

I tried to pick an AL team but none of them interested me and the Nats are right here.

If it ever comes to it I'll pick the Phils over the Nats but I doubt that's going to be an issue for a while.

edit: That Black Sox footage is awesome. I like the obviously temporary bleachers they threw up in foul ground. It's a bit hard to tell exactly what is going on at the 3:20 mark that shows the players intentionally playing like crap though.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 2, 2014

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

I know he's a liability in the outfield and doesn't have great durability, but damnit I wish the Nationals had found a way to keep goofy rear end Mike Morse and his big bat around. Every time I see him crush a 425 foot bomb I die a little on the inside :(

Edit: Its kind of a moot point but I really believe trading him away really altered the makeup and chemistry of this team from 2012 to now. I get it that he wasn't very productive last year but everybody in D.C. loved the guy and he really seemed to like playing here. Even if he couldn't play every day I'd rather have his bat in the lineup or off the bench than Scott Hairston or Tyler Moore.

Santheb fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 2, 2014

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah he's certainly looked like the vintage version so far.

I don't put a massive amount of stock in batted ball distance, but he's currently 3rd.

http://www.baseballheatmaps.com/graph/distanceleader.php

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Well, the appraisal is in. Angels Stadium is worth 100 million dollars more if it didn't exist.

http://www.goo.gl/z3qKfL

I still think the best option is building a new stadium in the same parking lot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lumpy posted:

This is the best:

Dinger machine, or secret spy base?
Loria leased the Dinger Machine to the NSA

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
The Cards' radio pregame had some cool calls from old Cubs / Cards games. First was Harry Caray calling a Mike Shannon grand slam, then Shannon calling a Pujols dinger after Wood knocked Pujols down earlier in the AB and finally Caray calling Stan the Man's 3000th hit.

Caray / Jack Buck must have been ssuch a great booth to listen to.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Santheb posted:

I know he's a liability in the outfield and doesn't have great durability, but damnit I wish the Nationals had found a way to keep goofy rear end Mike Morse and his big bat around. Every time I see him crush a 425 foot bomb I die a little on the inside :(

Edit: Its kind of a moot point but I really believe trading him away really altered the makeup and chemistry of this team from 2012 to now. I get it that he wasn't very productive last year but everybody in D.C. loved the guy and he really seemed to like playing here. Even if he couldn't play every day I'd rather have his bat in the lineup or off the bench than Scott Hairston or Tyler Moore.

Singing "Take On Me" with Mike Morse at bats was awesome in 2012. Now they just do it during the 7th inning stretch and it's not as cool.

(actually it was probably really annoying for anyone but the home team like the Victorino thing last year, but gently caress it.)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

PotatoJudge posted:

The Cards' radio pregame had some cool calls from old Cubs / Cards games. First was Harry Caray calling a Mike Shannon grand slam, then Shannon calling a Pujols dinger after Wood knocked Pujols down earlier in the AB and finally Caray calling Stan the Man's 3000th hit.

Caray / Jack Buck must have been ssuch a great booth to listen to.

Not to mention it was back when Caray knew where he was and what was happening as he watched the games.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
I'm more shocked that the Marlins are 2nd in the NL for runs scored. Frank Menechino, our new hitting coach, is a mother loving wizard.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FairGame posted:

(actually it was probably really annoying for anyone but the home team like the Victorino thing last year, but gently caress it.)

Victorino's Three Little Birds sing-a-long rules because it's the perfect message for hyperventilating sports fans. Plus when he then hits a dinger, like in Game 6 of the ALCS, it seems like fate.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

FairGame posted:

Singing "Take On Me" with Mike Morse at bats was awesome in 2012. Now they just do it during the 7th inning stretch and it's not as cool.

What was great about the Victorino thing is that it wasn't manufactured. He just switched his music from a Bob Marley song to another Bob Marley song and then people started singing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I thought the Morse singalong thing was pretty great, as somebody who would just see footage of it.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Well, the appraisal is in. Angels Stadium is worth 100 million dollars more if it didn't exist.

http://www.goo.gl/z3qKfL

I still think the best option is building a new stadium in the same parking lot.
The location of Angel Stadium is so perfect, and it is the best parking situation of any sporting event I've ever attended. Really hope they don't move.

Not to mention serious emotional ties since I grew up going to Angel Stadium since I was a youngin :(

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

I thought the Morse singalong thing was pretty great, as somebody who would just see footage of it.

In 2012 when it first became a "thing", it was because Morse was coming up to bat. It had a different feel to it, like it wasn't just our version of "Sweet Caroline" or whatever. What made it cool was this guy would walk up to this song, the fans would sing past when the song stops and then caveman Mike Morse would smash a ball so far that it looked like it would never stop. It was just a really cool thing that got the whole stadium into the game and it all started because this guy liked the song.

Then we traded him but made it the 7th inning stretch song and while the fans still sing to it, off key and all, it just doesn't feel the same and really it doesn't even feel right.

The best 7th inning stretch song, for sure, takes place at Camden Yards.

Edit: best Morse moment

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2j2alxH8VPQ

Santheb fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 2, 2014

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Once a week or so, the Cubs look like a profe80ssional baseball team and it owns.

Let us have this day in May.

e: This was supposed to be in the GDT, but let's leave it right here as a monument for the 70 minutes where the Cubs weren't completely depressing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Presented without comment:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
That's a rather dated reference.

Does anyone have a link to that awesome review of Mr. Go? You know, the Korean movie about the gorilla who plays baseball?

• Locked thread