Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Driver Dad
still do pushups, pull ups and other poo poo like that, at the least, sid. hit some weights if you can though. it'll help you lose the weight too, but do the diet thing that tipps said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back

mailorder bees! posted:

I lost a good bit of weight (around 45 lbs last year) :woop:

That is really good work. Good job. :thumbsup:

(that loving smilie is so sarcastic but i'm not being sarcastic i swear)

Blue's Clues

WindmillSlayer posted:

:eyepop:

Well I'm leaving the thread before I start making creepy posts.

:blush:

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back

Top Twitter Tranny posted:

still do pushups, pull ups and other poo poo like that, at the least, sid. hit some weights if you can though. it'll help you lose the weight too, but do the diet thing that tipps said

For someone starting out, combining both a whole new approach to eating with commitment to regular exercise might be too much to take in all at once. There's also the issue of risking injury by diving into vigorous exercise from a completely sedentary lifestyle while being overweight, if the body can't handle the load. You were underweight starting out, so the approach is not quite the same.

It might be easier for Sid to only focus with one thing at a time for now since he is just starting out. For someone who is overweight, just cutting out soda, beer, pizza, burgers, or whatever your vice is (nutella :allears: ) can make an immediate difference.

Sid, I know money is tight for you so that's likely a concern you have. If you want to chat about thrifty healthy eating, something I know a lot about myself due to my own experiences, I'd be glad to help.

Blue's Clues

Here's a simply mathematical tip I've used for the past decade (and one many of you are already aware of, I'll assume). Generally speaking, a pound of body weight consists of 3500 calories. The typical human 'burns' appx 2000 calories a day through normal existence. Any daily delta resulting in a number shy of 2000 calories will contribute to loss. Eat 1000 calories a day? That creates a daily deficit of 1000 calories, and after a week you will lose 2 lbs. I don't care if you eat 1000 calories of kale, or 1000 calories of Butterfinger. The weight will drop. Of course, you might feel better after a month eating kale than you would Butterfinger, but this is about weight loss, not health (and in no way should be considered official advice). So the best answer is to give yourself a timeframe, calculate how much you want to lose, divide that number into the days, and figure out what daily deficit you need. Is it tough? Sure. Is it accurate? Yes. Best wishes!

GEExCEE

If you're on a diet, try eating a lot of protein, fiber, and water to help you feel full. Good stuff is meat, fruit and veg, dairy, nuts.

hemale in pain

GEExCEE posted:

If you're on a diet, try eating a lot of protein, fiber, and water to help you feel full. Good stuff is meat, fruit and veg, dairy, nuts.

should be eating this diet or no diet

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER

GEExCEE posted:

nothing satisfies like meat and salad

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back

GEExCEE posted:

iawtp.

I think for a lot of people, just switching to drinking water would make a noticeable difference in calorie intake.

I work with some overweight people who drink nothing but soda, juice, fancy starbucks drinks, etc. and take in thousands of calories alone just from drinks.

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER
switching to black coffee and water cut a ton of unnecessary calories for me

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

gettin' ready for absummer

the bsd boys
Probation
Can't post for 379 days!
p90x was fun so im doing it again. god help me

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back

wesley snypes posted:

p90x was fun so im doing it again. god help me

There's nothing wrong with enjoying exercise and wanting to keep up with it. Regardless of what one may think of p90x, being active is infinitely better than being sedentary. :thumbsup:

(unless you are shattering spines via crossfit)

PIGEOTO

cross fit is for idiots and also it is for morons

the bsd boys
Probation
Can't post for 379 days!
http://www.crossfitincendia.com/rhabdo-what/

lol

Ace of Baes
crossfit is bad but olympic lifts are good

Ace of Baes
everyone here who is weak baby should start on SS or SL5x5

PIGEOTO

yeahok posted:

crossfit is bad but olympic lifts are good

crossfit Olympic lifting is loving awful and bad and loving hell it's bad. the only worse thing is crossfit strongman.

Ace of Baes
i dont mean timed olympic lifting i just mean oly lifts and compound lifts in general are good

PIGEOTO

yeahok posted:

i dont mean timed olympic lifting i just mean oly lifts and compound lifts in general are good

ya I know what you meant, and you are right

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back

PIGEOTO posted:

crossfit Olympic lifting is loving awful and bad and loving hell it's bad. the only worse thing is crossfit strongman.

I can't hear you over the sound of me kipping these cleans. Gotta do 40 a minute otherwise i wont get swole bro.

PIGEOTO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8up6A4QesU

itv beginner crossfitters doing strongman with an axle that the girls cant even grip properly

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back

PIGEOTO posted:

itv beginner crossfitters doing strongman with an axle that the girls cant even grip properly

I made it 38 seconds before wincing so much that I had to stop it. :stonk:

I suddenly feel much better about my OHP failures this morning.

PIGEOTO

PIGEOTO

crossfit is endlessly retarded

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER

PIGEOTO

lmfao

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back

I... wait... what? :stonk:

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back

While this gif is super silly and what they are doing is dumb and crossfit is moronic, afaik cheating for pull-ups (either with kipping, or starting a rep with a little jump) is actually not too bad AS LONG AS you are very slow on the way down to get the benefit of the negative part of the rom.

I mean, yes if it were a competition they wouldn't count, but it helps build strength when first starting out. :shrug:

hemale in pain

let's not turn this into the complain about crossfit thread

GEExCEE

PIGEOTO posted:

this looks shopped

Drunk Driver Dad
bump.

had a rough few days what with my lovely wisdom tooth ruining my sleep. i wound up putting working out off for a couple days, but i'm glad i did.

i finally did 15 pushups my first set today. gonna have to start adding weight soon

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back

Top Twitter Tranny posted:

bump.

had a rough few days what with my lovely wisdom tooth ruining my sleep. i wound up putting working out off for a couple days, but i'm glad i did.

i finally did 15 pushups my first set today. gonna have to start adding weight soon

That's awesome. A few weeks ago you could barely do 8, so it's great to see you progressing.

By contrast, I had all you can eat sushi buffet and ate so much that I ended up napping for 4 hours afterwards. :goleft:

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back
Bumping thread to report:

1) TTT can now do 4 chin-ups in a row, as opposed to 0 a month ago. Good job TTT. :hf:

2) Got a question in chat re: getting stronger arms with a home workout. Answer: dips of some variation, either using a chair, bench, or other sturdy surface.

And chin-ups from a sturdy beam or bar. Alternatively, put heavy poo poo in buckets, bags, whatever and curl it - making ghetto kettlebells/dumbbells that way.

GEExCEE

just tie bags full of sand all over your body and then do a standard punching karate workout

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back
alternatively, just go to the gym.

If the reason you, whoever is reading this, don't want to go to the gym is because of anxiety, stop being a dork and get over it. No one will judge you. No one will care that you're there. Google a basic 5x5 beginner program and head over there today.

If you are anti-social, go at 5am like I do. "But that's early!" you may whine, in which case, stop being a dork and go to bed earlier.

GEExCEE

i remember the first time i went to a gym i was like ' what do i do' and got sad and just went on the treadmill for like 20 minutes and left. if this happens to you just go back again and it will be less scary. do an exercise you know you can do to get your confidence up and then maybe try some new things, even just one new exercise. you dont really need to learn a lot of movements, just the basic ones. it helps a lot if you have a buddy too. I used to be a lazy ol sack and only started really exercizing about a year or so ago and my training quality is horrible with many long breaks but i still feel/look better than i did last year and even though i'm still incredibly weak i'm way stronger than i used to be. go to the gym and lift weights, it will be fun. YOU CAN dO IT!!

PIGEOTO

if you don't know what to do in the gym then immediately Google and purchase Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and do that

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back
I went my first time with a friend and I had no idea what I was doing but my friend would just tell me what to do. I was very upset and self-conscious because despite him being smaller than me, he outlifted me quite a bit since he was fit from playing hockey his whole life and I was an immobile computer sperg. We lifted together for about a year and then he moved away and I was sad and self-conscious so I stopped going alone. Every new school year I would convince myself to try again but would always give up after a few months of non-progress. It was only once I started dating my fit bf that I was motivated enough to keep at it in order to keep up with him, and 3y later I'm no longer waifish but somewhere in between wimpy and burly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satsui no thankyou
karate is freakin hard

• Locked thread