Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Triticum Guzzler posted:

1. Crocop is now having a rematch with Jarrell Miller, the American boxer who beat him at the last "K-1" WGP and lost an absurd hometown decision

2. that tournament in Dubai went exactly as expected

3. The K-1 show in Thailand has been postponed due to the coup

4. Possibly related to the Noiri business, but something called the K-1 World League was announced, and as with all "world leagues" it naturally is Japanese fighters in Japan. It's being run by the guys who do Krush, and Krush owns. Dave Walsh doesn't seem to think it has anything to do with the other K-1 too.

1. That tournament should be essential viewing for anyone who wants to know about the state of modern-day kickboxing. From the absurd Mirko decisions, to the emancipated horse meat-less Badr Hari, to the Eastern European sideshow acts like the Stoica brothers and the audacity to call itself a K-1 World Grand Prix, all you need to know is that this is the second biggest kickboxing organization in the world putting on the best show they could.

4. I am all for Noiri and co. from childfight leagues to continue beating up on each other with reckless abandon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I'm just going to quote a forum post wholesale instead of paraphrasing it and whatever

Dave Walsh posted:

I know that they got upset with me writing about this, haha.

Mr. Kim emailed me to explain that Yabuki is his agent who works in Japan for him and that Yabuki purchased KRUSH (which is true). Kim told him to start running K-1 amateur events in Japan and to start priming the market for K-1 again.

I'm really not sure how everything fits together, but Yabuki is also the guy running the K-1 Gyms in Japan.

These are basically going to be re-branded KRUSH events, just called K-1. The idea is that KRUSH doesn't draw well with some of Japan's biggest talents who drew better while featured in K-1. If they use the K-1 name fans *should* tune in again.

There is also the fact that Fuji TV has expressed interest in promoting K-1 events again, but K-1 G hasn't felt comfortable presenting their current product to them. If this team in Japan can put something together, there is a chance they'll get back on Fuji. But will they ever link up? I'm not sure.

By purchasing Krush, their Japanese shows are now 100% better than the regular shows and run by professionals

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
There was a time when wikipedia mentioned how absurd that decision was, but last time I checked to see what Cro Cop was up to it looks like it's been erased from history. Only the pour souls with the memory of that card can carry it on.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
LeBanner had another one of those home town fights against someone completely outmatched, but the finish is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1-wkd7fJoA&t=1099s

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
that last body shot was brutal

however, my question after watching is what age does it become inappropriate to have a hairstyle like that?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bubba Smith posted:

that last body shot was brutal

however, my question after watching is what age does it become inappropriate to have a hairstyle like that?

Well JLB dabbled in MMA for a bit, so he has tenure.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Hey dudes, what would be some good particularly good kickboxing cards to watch? I'm especially interested in old K-1 cards (this has nothing to do with having a source for them, cough cough) (this also has nothing to do with my boner for 1 night/1 week tournaments, ahack, splat), but I'm down with whatever anyone can point me towards.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

LvK posted:

Hey dudes, what would be some good particularly good kickboxing cards to watch? I'm especially interested in old K-1 cards (this has nothing to do with having a source for them, cough cough) (this also has nothing to do with my boner for 1 night/1 week tournaments, ahack, splat), but I'm down with whatever anyone can point me towards.

2010 K-1 grand prix is still exciting to watch even if you've seen it before.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Any K-1 Max tournament featuring Masato, Buakaw, or Andy Souwer. Their fights feature really talented wins over other good fighters, OR, getting dismantled by other fighters. So it's very rewarding viewing material from a tactical standpoint.

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011

LvK posted:

Youtube homie.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

turntabler posted:

Most people here probably know already but K-1 has a pretty considerable fight library on youtube, and Glory has some stuff up there as well.

K-1's Channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOCxuUfoSTzKvl_Nl67vkuA

And Glory's is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKj5FIgxeihLRLDpVqKp_aA

There's a lot of available there ranging from high end championship level to fun dumb fights if you're looking to get into kickboxing a little bit more. If you can't find it on one of the official channels there's a good chance it could be up on youtube anyway.

If you're looking to check something out Buakaw's 2004 GP run is one of my favourites as online at least he was largely considered the token Thai boxer in the tournament who was smaller and wouldn't adapt well to the kickboxing style of K-1 while everyone was having flame wars over Zambo/JWP/Masato/Kraus. The use of the teep in the final match :allears:

I did as this guy suggested and it was good

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

turntabler posted:

Youtube homie.

Not asking for a source, homeslice.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

turntabler posted:

Most people here probably know already but K-1 has a pretty considerable fight library on youtube, and Glory has some stuff up there as well.

K-1's Channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOCxuUfoSTzKvl_Nl67vkuA

And Glory's is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKj5FIgxeihLRLDpVqKp_aA

There's a lot of available there ranging from high end championship level to fun dumb fights if you're looking to get into kickboxing a little bit more. If you can't find it on one of the official channels there's a good chance it could be up on youtube anyway.

If you're looking to check something out Buakaw's 2004 GP run is one of my favourites as online at least he was largely considered the token Thai boxer in the tournament who was smaller and wouldn't adapt well to the kickboxing style of K-1 while everyone was having flame wars over Zambo/JWP/Masato/Kraus. The use of the teep in the final match :allears:

I'm a total kickboxing noob, why would a Thai-style kickboxer struggle in K1? Is it a rules thing?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dr. Miracle posted:

I'm a total kickboxing noob, why would a Thai-style kickboxer struggle in K1? Is it a rules thing?

The scoring is different, the clinching is much more limited, there's no elbows, and the judges are racists

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Dumps don't score, you can't trap the leg and punch or sweep, traditionally Thais have pretty lame boxing which puts them at a massive disadvantage against the Dutch style when they can't use most of their arsenal.

As for cards, almost every year the finals were fantastic. 2010 had two really great final 16 shows for both MAX and the WGP. But some of my favourite cards that were well received but rarely looked back upon were the MAX Japan GPs. They weren't necessarily full of the best talents but those guys would fight each other to the loving death.

The 2009 MAX Japan GP was great, and was the first step in a great 2009 for MAX. Watch it in chronological order, Japan GP, final 16, final 8, finals. Anime crossdressing, Yuya Yamamoto winning fights with his face, Giorgio Petrosyan destroying everyone in his first year, this fuckin' fight

2008 was great too, I was pissed at the time because I loved Kyshenko but Masato was gutsy as hell.

I hope the K-1 branded Krush can bring some of that back.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Traditional MT makes limited use of boxing generally 1-2 and then progressing to blast the opponent with all kinds of kicks ,elbows and knees in the clinch.The punches are the set up to other techniques because they don't score them.Also the guard is much more open (generally speaking) to allow better use of elbows.Sometimes in third rounds you see thais just completely abandoning the punches and just kick themselves into elbow range.If I remember correctly Buakaw lost a GP final because his boxing , while really good for a thai was fairly predictable and got counterpunched to death.

Racists:The way Masato o Sato ? got awarded and extra round in the K-1 Max GP in 2004 was shameful , off course Buakaw took offence and murdered him.

This whole thing has made me feel really nostalgic.It's been almost 10 years since I started watching lovely clips of tiny thai and japanese dudes destroying themselves and made me want to emulate them.Along with the Don Frye and Takayama face trauma'ing each other.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 18, 2014

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Thanks for the recommendations, fellas. I'll see what I can scratch together of the 2009 run.

Also what the gently caress, K-1 Sumo Tournament, that's magically Japanese.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Jack Slack did a pretty good writeup of the tourney entrants for the upcoming Glory ppv -

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/jack-slack-glorys-last-man-standing-preview

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Oh yeah, Glory 17 and the PPV is tomorrow. Crocop is an old, slow piece of poo poo that never does anything and is going to force his unwatchable non-game into as much of this fight as he can and lose 30-27 again*. For the most part the rest will probably be good, but 30 to 27 is also a good prediction for number of PPV buys.

The event goes from 1am to 7am on UK tv and I wish I had no life or responsibilities so I could watch it all :qq:

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
http://www.vipboxus.co/boxing/232981/2/superkombat-world-grand-prix-live-stream-online.html

super kombat is on yo

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
the card:

1. Super Fight – Light Heavyweight Bout (-81 kg)
Daniel Lazar (Romania) vs. Ciprian Schiopu (Romania)

2. Semifinal 1 – Cruiserweight Bout (-92 kg)
Michael Terrill (United Kingdom) vs. Patrick Van Rees (Netherlands)

3. Semifinal 2 – Cruiserweight Bout (-92 kg)
Moises Baute (Spain) vs. Cristian Ristea (Romania)

4. Super Fight – Heavyweight bout (+96 kg)
Shota Dolidze (Georgia) vs. Dorin Robert (Romania)

5. Super Fight – Lightweight Bout (-63.5 kg)
Cristian Spetcu (Romania) vs. Paul Jansen (Netherlands)

6. Super Fight – Heavyweight Bout (+96 kg)
D’Angelo Marshall (Curacao) vs. Thomas Vaneste (Belgium)

7. Super Cruiserweight Title – Super Cruiserweight Bout (-95 kg)
Ali Cenik (Turkey) vs. Andrei Stoica (Romania)

8. Final – Cruiserweight Bout (-92 kg)
Winner of Semifinal 1 vs. Winner of Semifinal 2

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad
i am down for some loving kickboxing tonight

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

i dont appreciate your nationalistic descriptors, yuriry.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Watching Glory and these guys are just swinging at everything

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Every time I watch kickboxing I wonder why I don't watch more of it

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
"cliff" oblonsky

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
yes duke, varga is just like wayne gretzky

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Jesus, I can't even load Glory's website

hexenductor
Jul 30, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I got the ppv-buying link via http://www.gloryppv.com/

It's through indemandnow so you might be able to just go through them.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Hmmm, says the stream is restricted in the US

hexenductor
Jul 30, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I'm in the US and this worked for me: http://www.indemandnow.com/glory.html?productId=129042

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
hurf, wrong thread

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 22, 2014

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

That was the worst Melvin entrance ever.

Unacceptable.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Melvin got loving robbed, should have been an extra round there

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
I see that Wikipedia says Cro Cop won his fight by decision. How was it?

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Not bad, he deserved the win this time

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Lost a point in the overtime round by mouthpiece god drat

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
OHHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Not that it mattered in the end. God drat